What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 lbs from 50 gallons of soil?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
It might make 2lbs of mushrooms, but you'll need to plant some plants in
it if you want 2lb of buds...

norn

Fatburt,
I see 5 gallon buckets yield 12-16 oz all the time. If you want to be sure to get yield and carry less dirt then 5-10 gallons is the most you want to do per plant, and do more plants. Have you ever grown anything bigger than a pound? It's not easy to deal with when it gets big. Branches break, it wants to fall over, and you will be pissing in your pants when you turn on the news and hear about a hurricane coming. I don't like anything over 12oz. ......but PLEASE post pictures if you do grow a 2lb monster!!! Good luck.

anudda

under a 150 hps NO.... under multiple 1kw's should be no problem.

in sunshine/greenhouse, you could get 4+ lbs with proper care and nutrition AND Strain.

your question is really vague mang. gotta tell us how you grow to even start guessin the answer.

Sinkyone

Definitely a reasonable and achievable goal. With pots, bigger is always better if you are going for max yield, but a 50 gal can still produce several pounds if it is a good strain and well taken care of. Oh and width will get you better performance than depth with pots and raised beds - the more surface area the root mass has the better.

anudda

and if you're in a short season climate , its WaYYY different than growing down south or equatorial... including how each strain will perform.

Outside, with decent conditions, no problem. My buddy did it in exactly 50 gallon holes a few years ago using LUI and pulled 2 1/2 on all but 1 that got sick.. Nothing fancy for ferts.. Chicken manure, perlite, kelp, bone meal and some epsom to get him through to flower.. then added some fox farm liquid flowering nutes every now and then..8ish hours of direct sunlight a day. They turned out beautiful with very low maintenance..

B

bajangreen

Hi fatburt i am glad you post this question!!!!!!!!! it goes to show i am not the only one thinking this way. I currently use 5 gals and want to up my game, gorilla of course, so the 50 gal, 2 pound grow sounds just about doable. How do you plan to do this? please share some of your growing info, lets do this together. it would be nice to have someone to compare notes with. I wanna do organic smart pot gorilla!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Last year I did 5-10gal holes with 1-2 plants per and got around 2-4oz per plant, this year I will definitely make some bigger holes! 50+ hopefully to hit a few pounds plants! :)

I think its doable if you give enough sun light and water and nutes!

fatburt

well i plan on making 50 gallon bottomless tubs with the bottoms cut out and another 18" dug out underneath the tubes,so probably more like 80 gallons,but im putting heavy duty garbage bags in the hole to make sure flowering starts on time by making it root bound.(maybe ill use heavy harvest)but ill prolly use 17-17-17 osmocote and mix in 2 weeks before i plant,so maybe may 7th?

anyone have any strain suggestions for big quality outdoor plants?im thinking shnazzleberry#2

norn

well i plan on making 50 gallon bottomless tubs with the bottoms cut out and another 18" dug out underneath the tubes,so probably more like 80 gallons,but im putting heavy duty garbage bags in the hole to make sure flowering starts on time by making it root bound.(maybe ill use heavy harvest)but ill prolly use 17-17-17 osmocote and mix in 2 weeks before i plant,so maybe may 7th?

anyone have any strain suggestions for big quality outdoor plants?im thinking shnazzleberry#2
Burt,

It looks like alot of people agree with you on this forum that bigger holes = bigger plants, but I really don't think you need anything more than 20 gal in the ground. You do understand that when the plant gets big it will push its roots into even very hard natural soil right?

I can see that you are confused about how much roots these plants have because you are talking about 80 gallon holes and using garbage bags to make them root bound. I think even a 2 pound plant wont' feel "root bound" in anything more than 10-15 gal.

There are parts of the world were 5-10 lb plants grow and may use holes this size, but not most places.

I just dont want to think about new growers coming on this forum and leave thinking they have to dig holes and carry 80 gal of dirt just to grow a 2 lb plant...!!! Any growers on here with experience want to talk about how crazy that is?

Please burt, if you don't believe me then do a side by side test and post it on here. Have you ever seen a test like that on a forum before that made you think you need even 50 gal? I don't think so - not until you get up past 5 lb, and most of us don't have the weather to do that.

I'm not trying to argue, just help you and save the backs of all the new growers on here!

Good luck and please share your info.

sprinkl

Veteran
If you have good weather it should be easy like people say. I had extremely rainy, wet and dark weather and still yielded 280 grams with an 18.5gal container. I'm sure I'd have gotten 2-3x as much if the weather were better, without added effort. Besides giving more water and nutrients.. I also couldn't let the plant get bigger than 1.5m(dug a hole to put the pot in, all for stealth) the topping, bending and absorbing less hours of sunshine because of lower height definitely diminished yields as well.
And this wasn't even decent soil, I used a 40l bag of potting soil, the rest was soil from my yard and partly decomposed leafs, barely mixed... So I'm thinking 50 gallons could yield 5-6 pounds even in my crappy 50N climate, if there are enough hours of sun.

So you're using bottomless tubs? With garbage bag? I think when roots can grow through into full soil they will not get rootbound. My plant had a tiny place where the soil overlapped the border of the container and it grew very strong roots into full soil there. I had to chop them off with a spade else it still would have been preflowering... On the other hand you do need some small holes so the roots don't drown.

picture.php

I added soil on top because as I tried to bend the lowest branches downwards they easily came loose from the stem. Bunch of soil over them, 2 weeks later rooted branches that can support themselves if needed... The plan was to grow the plant completely side ways and pulling down branches as they grew but you really need to be on top of it... Don't look for 10 days mid-summer and the plant is growing the way it wants to be growing. Damn shame I haven't been able to grow a plant naturally yet the way it wants to, without topping or bending. Damn neighbours, with their eyes and all!

B

bajangreen

Hey fatburt just got my a 80gall smart pot looking for that 2pound gorilla. what you up to?

anchient

yes sure. 2lb+ 50 gal pots homemade. wire and silt and fence. takes alot of water. they grow 2 feet out from edge of pot on all sides. some dumb ass rule or story is a oz. per gal. but i have found it mostly true. in dirt or smart pot is about the same. improved in ground plants might do a little better. hope this helps! anchient

Attachments

• 7-21-2012 my big baby.jpg
    7-21-2012 my big baby.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 9
  • aug 24.jpg
    aug 24.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Latest posts