What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 lbs from 50 gallons of soil?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes veg time will make a huge impact on yield. I have to veg my keepers a very long time to get a decent yield. After a 4 month indoor veg transplant into a 20g smart pot then put out at the beginning of the season. topping and training as you go. you will have monster plants. Have a look in the growing large plants outdoor thread. Its in T.Hills Forum.

B

bajangreen

Where you at fatburt!!! in got this 30gall diy "tester" with some autos to see how well i can do. looking to put in the Haze in a 50 gall on 4 20.

Got to get a mixing some soil.

Attachments

• IMG-20130225-00649.jpg
    IMG-20130225-00649.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 9

fatburt

im here,been a lil busy...
i have sourced all my ingredients.ill be growing organicly through veg and switching to foxfarm bloom,tiger bloom and flower dragon.

ill be growing arnes cheese,critical mass/hashplant,skunk/kush and maple leaf indica,maybe some nl#5/kush as well///il be doing a few semis,but geurilla style in the bush...for breeding.
ill be growing in 70 gallon smart pots filled with about 60 gallons of organic soil.

fatburt

i just started my seeds and will have thyem ready by the third week of may...so about 2.5 months veg...i can get some pretty big plants by then...

clown baby

people use those cloth smartpots and seem to kill it when container gardening. Helps the same amount of soil go a bit further and prevent the rootbind issue.

Why not just do a raised bed? Or dig a big hole and fill it with a good mix.
Unless you're on concrete or need to move your plants around, there's no reason to limit rootspace with containers

fatburt

Burt,

It looks like alot of people agree with you on this forum that bigger holes = bigger plants, but I really don't think you need anything more than 20 gal in the ground. You do understand that when the plant gets big it will push its roots into even very hard natural soil right?

I can see that you are confused about how much roots these plants have because you are talking about 80 gallon holes and using garbage bags to make them root bound. I think even a 2 pound plant wont' feel "root bound" in anything more than 10-15 gal.

There are parts of the world were 5-10 lb plants grow and may use holes this size, but not most places.

I just dont want to think about new growers coming on this forum and leave thinking they have to dig holes and carry 80 gal of dirt just to grow a 2 lb plant...!!! Any growers on here with experience want to talk about how crazy that is?

Please burt, if you don't believe me then do a side by side test and post it on here. Have you ever seen a test like that on a forum before that made you think you need even 50 gal? I don't think so - not until you get up past 5 lb, and most of us don't have the weather to do that.

I'm not trying to argue, just help you and save the backs of all the new growers on here!

Good luck and please share your info.

id rather have 50 gallons of soil and not need it then not have 50 gallons of soil and need it...same premise as a condom bro....
and this isnt geurilla its a back yard grow...its a lot different dude!
if im legal then im gonna do it the best i can...no half assed shit here!

remember guys,this is a backyard grow,not geurilla,im not haulin soil all through the woods,im backing up in my pickup in my backyard!

fatburt

and im only legal for 10 plants so i cant realyy experiment...why dont you try that experiment this summer?

sprinkl

Veteran
I used a 70l(18.5gal) pot with a plant that vegged from february(inside), was placed outside in may, and stayed in veg until halfway july. That's 5.5 months of veg time, and I don't think I maxed out the potential from that amount of soil.
I think by using excessive amounts of soil you'll only do yourself damage, eg slower start in flowering due to so much nutrients still available, and a later finish when it's colder; with less potent buds... IMO!

Latest posts

Latest posts