What's new

2 1000w on a 20amp?

Is it easy to just upgrade breaker. i only have a 15 amp in this new room. I need to run a 1000w dwc with pumps fans etc. and several 4 ft flouros with cfls for veg. Will 15 be enough? i know without knowing exact equip. fans etc its hard to say but any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it easy to just upgrade breaker. i only have a 15 amp in this new room. I need to run a 1000w dwc with pumps fans etc. and several 4 ft flouros with cfls for veg. Will 15 be enough? i know without knowing exact equip. fans etc its hard to say but any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Changing out the breaker is easy, but the wire size has to match the breaker. If you want to go to 20 amps, you need 12 gauge wire.

On a 15 amp circuit, you want to stay at or under 12 amps for continuous duty. 1000w / 120v = 8.3amps, + ballast losses. You have roughly 3 amps to play with beyond your HID lighting load. It doesn't sound to me like you are going to make it.

Changing out the breaker is easy, but the wire size has to match the breaker. If you want to go to 20 amps, you need 12 gauge wire.

On a 15 amp circuit, you want to stay at or under 12 amps for continuous duty. 1000w / 120v = 8.3amps, + ballast losses. You have roughly 3 amps to play with beyond your HID lighting load. It doesn't sound to me like you are going to make it.

ViGanja hope Im not hijacking your thread but i think this can be uselfull for a lot of people.

So if there is not already 12 gauge wire connected to the 15amp breaker. Can I just add a 20amp to an empty spot and run the wire myself to a distro box in the room?

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ViGanja hope Im not hijacking your thread but i think this can be uselfull for a lot of people.

So if there is not already 12 gauge wire connected to the 15amp breaker. Can I just add a 20amp to an empty spot and run the wire myself to a distro box in the room?

I'm not sure what you mean by a distribution box, but yes, if you've got a spot available you can add a 20a breaker with 12 gauge wire and be fine.

I don't think VGfarmer will mind since this thread is 4 months old!

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i just had to pop in this thread, looking at the OP's name, i thought it said vaginafarmer, lol