What's new

1st U.S. Marijuana Cafe opens in Portland Ore.

The first marijuana cafe opened Friday in Portland, Oregon. The Cannabis Cafe as its called is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get a hold of the drug and smoke it-as long as they are out of public view-despite a federal ban. Members pay $25 dollars per month to use the 100-person capacity cafe. They dont buy marijuana, but get it free over the counter by "budtenders". Open 10am-10pm, it serves food but has no liquor license.:party:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
First US medical marijuana cafe opens in Portland OR

First US medical marijuana cafe opens in Portland OR

I did a quick search but didn't see it so my bad if a repost.

I wonder how long it will take before cops start posting up outside waiting to pull people leaving over. Do the med laws in OR allow driving after smoking? This will also be a big litmus test whether Obama's pledge is true or bullshit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_oregon_potcafe

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) – The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it -- as long as they are out of public view -- despite a federal ban.

"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization.

"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

The cafe -- in a two-story building which formerly housed a speak-easy and adult erotic club Rumpspankers -- is technically a private club, but is open to any Oregon residents who are NORML members and hold an official medical marijuana card.

Members pay $25 per month to use the 100-person capacity cafe. They don't buy marijuana, but get it free over the counter from "budtenders". Open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., it serves food but has no liquor license.

There are about 21,000 patients registered to use marijuana for medical purposes in Oregon. Doctors have prescribed marijuana for a host of illnesses, including Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.

On opening day, reporters invited to the cafe could smell, but were not allowed to see, people smoking marijuana.

"I still run a coffee shop and events venue, just like I did before we converted it to the Cannabis Cafe, but now it will be cannabis-themed," said Eric Solomon, the owner of the cafe, who is looking forward to holding marijuana-themed weddings, film festivals and dances in the second-floor ballroom.

NO PROSECUTION

The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them.

About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California's 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use. A similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned.

Pot cafes, known as "coffee shops", are popular in the Dutch city of Amsterdam, where possession of small amounts of marijuana is legal. Portland's Cannabis Cafe is the first of its kind to open in the United States, according to NORML.

Growing, possessing, distributing and smoking marijuana are still illegal under U.S. federal law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use.

Federal and local law enforcement agencies did not return phone calls from Reuters on Friday seeking comment on the Portland cafe's operations.

"To have a place that is this open about its activities, where people can come together and smoke -- I say that's pretty amazing." said Tim Pate, a longtime NORML member, at the cafe.

Some locals are hoping it might even be good for business.

"I know some neighbors are pretty negative about this place opening up," said David Bell, who works at a boutique that shares space with the cafe. "But I'm withholding judgment. There's no precedent for it. We don't know what to expect. But it would great if it brought some customers into our store."

(Writing by Bill Rigby; editing by Mohammad Zargham)

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you tube video from portland on the cafe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2k4JgfVc4A&NR=1

I like the next door shop owner. He speaks open mindedly, but does not lie about being nervous. It is natural for humans to have aprehentions about change. Many get angy and scared. This guy is at least non judgemental and calm. If this is how average people are in portland I gotta move there. People would br freaking out and running to church where I am from.

Skip

Veteran
Not true! While I'm glad there's a cannabis cafe now in Portland, it ain't the first.

The Bulldog Coffeeshop has been open in Oakland for years!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bulldog-coffee-shop-oakland

I'm really tired of fake news being spread to hype a new biz.

Notice how they're planning a Cannabis Community College too, just like Oaksterdam.

I suppose when they open that up they'll claim it too is the first of it's kind. Yeah, right!

Good fact checking, Reuters!

Here's the fake story:
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5AD06O20091114

Last edited:

fatigues

Veteran
There are a couple of these in Toronto and a couple more in Vancouver. They received little to no press hype initially - except when one of them in Toronto (Kindred Cafe) got busted for selling some *ahem* pretty expensive milkshakes.

Unlike the Kindred Cafe, Vapor Central in Toronto doesn't even pretend to be a medical marijuana lounge. It's a vape and smoke lounge, period. It's not Amsterdam and they don't sell MJ there - you have to bring your own. They charge a modest cover charge, rent patrons bongs and bags to try out one of the many Volcanos they have there, too.

There are a few others in the city of Toronto as well. They are not legal (nor is possession of any amount of MJ legal in Canada either unless you have a MMJ card) but they are tolerated.

I understand the desire to push the idea for political reasons - and then again - I wonder if pushing this in the media is a little too aggressive and may provoke a backlash.

I think it would be wiser to operate under the radar for a while, have no reported incidents and open up a few more just like it - and then present it all as a fait d'accomplit, rather than hype it from the get-go to attract a national media audience.

It's a difference in opinion and political strategy I guess. As for which approach is preferable, I guess we will see.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
San Francisco used to have a few realy nice med lounges for patients as well...

i wish them the best of luck. I hope one day I can fly into any major airport and jump a taxi 10 minutes to a near by ganja lounge. Sounds almost too good to be true, but as long as we keep pushing what is true and right, our time will come. Peace and good weed. --BhT:joint::joint:

707Corridor

Whats the difference between this place and the places in CA that let you light up in their "vapor lounge"?? Some places all they have is vapes, others have vapes, pipes and bongs for you to use. These have been around for a while.

Is it because its run more like traditional dutch coffee shop but for mmj?

Edit: Sorry for I am stoned. I completely missed the paragraph about it being a private club, where members pay a monthly fee. Thats a pretty cool idea.

Last edited:

kweb1989

thanks for news update

thanks for news update

Even if it is not the first one... Even better, there is somewhere to go, and meet new people and have a mellow time enjoying peoples company... I dont see this as a place to make money but more of a place to unite people... cause anyone can smoke in their home... it is nice in the sence weed is free... medicine is just too expensive nowadays so big plus... buying the food and drinks will keep the place in business rather then the meds people need to get by..... Great news non the less.... thanks for the insight!
Puff Puff Pass....:joint:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
"But get it FREE from a budtender" Now that has to be Bull Shit, no way in hell they'll give me all I can smoke for $25 a month fee.

Peace, :joint:

T

TroubleGuy

i'd rather see a private individual run it than norml, but at least if the gov't doesn't keep it's word it won't be an individual taking the heat for it.

T

TroubleGuy

This guy is at least non judgemental and calm. If this is how average people are in portland I gotta move there. People would br freaking out and running to church where I am from.

It's the Portland way dude :joint: people are pretty cool up here

wintermute

Good luck!

Good luck!

According to Madeline Martinez Cannabis Cafe ended the night with more donated buds than it started with. Sounds like a lot of people want the concept to succeed however unconventional it might be! Good luck to them!

Cannatruther

it'sgrowtime: OMMP laws do NOT allow patients to drive "under the influence".

Skip: Oregonians have a long way to go to catch up to Oakland but at least we are headed in the right direction.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Sounds better than sitting at the dialysis center waiting to be plugged in.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Well a medical alcohol lounge and dispensary has just opened in my village...we call it THE PUB!

This med scene viewed from Europe looks like one big crock of shite!

Hazelnuts

Sounds better than sitting at the dialysis center waiting to be plugged in.

Lol, definitely. Too bad it's not an alternative, unless weed has been found to replace your kidneys/liver too, additionally to all the good stuff it already does...

T

theJointedOne

this is DEF not the first of its kind

but tight none the less

overgrow everything!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts