What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st try *true organics* I hope - This is what I am ordering today/tomorrow if approve

Buying a premixed soil really is counterproductive to my needs. What i 'need', is to learn the proper way

Heh heh heh! You are assuming that the people here know the "proper way". For all you know, they are just fanbois of product A and product B, and will swear upon pain of death that is the only way to do it.

You are assuming that they are not simply "fashion lemmings", waiting for whatever the "esteemed personality" du jour says, so they can blindly duplicate his efforts.

You are assuming that the people who have all this time for *posting* are the experts, as opposed to the people who *rarely* post because they are busy growing.

The person you just dismissively discarded, gave you the most wisdom in the fewest words you'll likely ever see in this forum.

You can get *everything* you need, to do this the proper way, at Home Depot.

mad librettist

Veteran
Heh heh heh! You are assuming that the people here know the "proper way". For all you know, they are just fanbois of product A and product B, and will swear upon pain of death that is the only way to do it.

actually, AladdinSane, Kirsten is using her noggin and asking people to explain, and she is trying to gain the knowledge needed to have more options for herself. By "proper way" she means not doing things that are unreasonable but common, like buying pre-mixed soil for way more money than you would spend mixing it up yourself. She's attempting to avoid an entire industry built on an "inflation by association" model for determining value.

Kirsten, buy or make a soil sieve so you can screen things. Deciding what stays in and what doesn't is a good way to get acquainted with dirt.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran

You are assuming that they are not simply "fashion lemmings", waiting for whatever the "esteemed personality" du jour says, so they can blindly duplicate his efforts.

You are assuming that the people who have all this time for *posting* are the experts, as opposed to the people who *rarely* post because they are busy growing.

The person you just dismissively discarded, gave you the most wisdom in the fewest words you'll likely ever see in this forum.

Delusional - at best.

Or rather - if that. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the Cornel Mix circa 1938 which remains THE main/only mix ratios used in garbage called 'potting soils' found at places like HomeDepot, Loews, et al. Pure bunk/junk and little else. A fool's errand.

Thanks for sharing regardless!!!!!

CC

Kirsten

Ahhh...No.

You have made the initial assumption and i can only guess that is because you implied i had a certain tone in the reply i gave when in fact, i was not and was being most humble when i said "proper way" by meaning not using Miracle Garden Soil - which is recommended by the way in a very popular growers grow journal.

So no, i have not dismissing anything but your claim of my assumptions, which you yourself must make assumptions to come to the conclusion you did..Though thank you for your contribution!

Kirsten

If ya get the nasties (bugs/spider mites) 100% organic & guranteed to kill use Diatomaceous Earth....a light top dress will kill any bugs living in your soil...or a light dusting on your plants to kill all spider mites.:tiphat: Good luck & have fun

Ok craziest thing in the world...

14 bags of Fox Farms: Light Warrior, Ocean Forest, Seed Started - and no bugs, not a single one....The Force is With Me.

Kirsten

Hi All. Update time. Sorry for the long posts in-between, i am a bit of a paranoid android and kind of wish to lay low and stealthy, but here is what has happened..

Strains:

Sour Diesel 5
kali 9 (1 failed to germ)
AK47 9 (1 failed to germ)
Critical+ 4 (1 failed to germ, but were free!)
A-Train 5
Pure AK 5
Carnival 5

# - A-train and Puke AK do not like my soil mix. When very young they were wrinkled up leaves etc which to me looked all like starting signs of over nuting. I could have been wrong. My water PH is always 6.5 to 7.0 - never higher than 7.0.

I had 14 bags.. plus all the various amendments. There was much advice given - very appreciated.

So what i did was this...

I mixed 6 bags Ocean Forest, 4 bags Light Warrior, 4 bags Seed Starter - then i added all the amendments. However, i mixed it down to the requirements of 11.5 bags, not a full 14 because i wanted to avoid causing any damage from over nuting and i figured if they need something i can always add...subtracting however, not so much.

The Pure AK and A-Train didn't like the soil so well and have shown the signs of what i think was over nuting. The pics of the wrinkly ones are the Pure AK and A-train. The AK-47 itself has done much better but the pheno's i have look so sativah, a couple like pretty indica however.

The Critical+, Sour Diesel, Kali, and Carnival look pretty good, especially the critical showing very strong indica pheno's.

...the pics from start to now... January 11th

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Kirsten

I have been feeding the plants WATER ONLY.

last week i fed the HI-BRIX Molasses for the first time and they really seemed to have turbo charged their growth the 2nd-3rd day afterward. The jug says to only use every 4 weeks but i can't help thinking they wouldn't want a shot of it now.

Any questions?

I may have answers, i may say "i dunno". But i am tuned in and ready to be participate in the forum in a daily way.....again. :p

I appreciate the help you all have given me. I know i havent been here every day to post like some people but i took all that was said and "took in the meat, spat out the bones", and did what i think was the best according to the sum total of what i was told tempered by my own opinions of what i have learned (most likely a mistake but we really cant help ourselves, can we??).

I intend to switch to flowering by the 7th to 9th.

Any opinions?

Kirsten

plants look happy, gotta love organic gardening :good:

Thanks! Well, sometimes we think we are organic growing and really we are not. I do know this is not a vegan grow and a vegan grow is my goal and final destination. But for now, i want to get at least 4 of these under my belt and as the Lords of the Grow say, "Dialed in". When things are dialed in, i will then take my fav strains and move them to a vegan grow, use what i have learned and hopefully produce a nice crop using that methodology as well.

Kirsten

bare bulb jedi is it kirsten?

picture.php

did you ever get the big fan/filter? which one you get ??

Bare bulb seems the common thing to do for vertical :) Also seems a bit easier to control the direction i push the heat since its not trapped by a hood. Room averages 76F, peaks at 84 for no more than 15-30mins when i am not paying attention since i dont have an auto fan controller yet. For now, i generally just leave the intake on which cools the room and the fans in there circulate the cool air as well as push the hot air out into the hall.

I havent gotten the filter yet, but i know the one i want. It supposedly has an 18mos life and should be good for my space and plant #. It stands about 3ft tall and i will use a 6" hydrofarms fan on it like i use for the intake now.

The intake simple brings in cool air from outside via vent sleeve against a screen. It was very loud until i put a muffler on it - against recommendations of some RL growers i know, and they were so wrong. The Muffler killed the noise by a factor of 10 at least. Now the sound outside is completely inaudible whereas before if one stood around they would notice the vacuum cleaner sound - or so i felt they would, and that is all that mattered because now i feel at peace with it and secure.

Kirsten

Call me early Shirley, if you like...but, i have the next set of strains ready to choose from and in my lap:

- Chunky Cheese (10)
- Cheese Wreck (5)
- Northern Lights (10)
- Cheesus (10)
- Love Cheese (5)
- Blue Cheese (5)
- Purple (10)

Yes, i love the Cheese strains - they set my scalp on fire and make my head itch like a 30 day unshowered homeless woman, and then my eyes squeeze shut and thats pretty much all she wrote - bong goes down, one hand goes to fore head and i focus my way out of the intense head rush which starts crushing my brainzor. lol.

Love it.