What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1989 Super Skunk F4

TheDarkStorm

Ooops ..”smelling like black hash” was my mistake. i should have wrote TASTING like black hash.

..i haven’t slept that well recently. My bad.

Those are other people’s comments not mine.

And..

I have smoked UK Cheese in Adam few times. From Grey Area and the original De Dampkring around 2012-2015. I tried the Big Buddha version from some shop too but it’s not good, the Afg#1 in it ruins it..

I have grown ten UK Cheese fems from GHS and few UK Cheese hybrids. I know how it is and smokes.
It’s pure Sk1, imo. An Afghan/Columbian-pheno based on how it splits in the S1 seeds.
It doesn't have NL5 in it. forget about it.
I agree, I actually know cf. They bought the seeds from the sensi smile shop in 88/89 si defo not shiva as sensi never even had shiva at that point in time. Nevil was supplying sensi with the skunk#1 at the time....an cf says they bought skunk#1 seeds. People forget the skunk#1 that nevil had at that time was still in it early generations an was different to later
I bought Skunk #1 from the SSSC catalog. Growing weed was top secret back in 1980s. I was worried getting the catalog. Then I was lost about what strain to buy. I actually called them from the USA and ask to talk with Nevil. It was Nevil that answered and he told me so. He ask about my latitude, what kind of high I liked and suggested Skunk #1 and Pluton 2. He said Sk#1 was ready 1st week of October and Pluton was ready mid September. He told me not to worry the seeds would be discreetly sent. They came in a envelope with his country's addy on it. Amsterdam or whatever. If I would have thought about that I would have been freaking out. I got them though. I talked with Neil about 20 minutes. I forget what the phone bill was but my wife was not happy.

The Pluton mold like crazy and I never got a harvest. The Sk#1 didn't finish until late October. I let them all make seeds together. Eventually I started just making seeds with the plants that had lime tipped leaves and would get big yellow fan leaves that the catalog said were not a deficiency. They were the best tasting, smelling and most potent. They were not sweet. They were dank and skunk. I grew them every year in the wilds for 20 years or so. Eventually I stopped getting ones with lime tipped leaves. I didn't know about clones. I lost some fantastic plants.

Anyhow the catalog said that Skunk #1 was originally bred by Sacred Seeds. That is Soma isn't it? Not Sam. Just a thought. Does not
I dont think the seedbank sold pluton either

Last edited:

iTarzan

I checked my old seed pack collection and I got Sk#1 and Garlic Bud from The Seed Bank. I bought Pluton and Williams Wonder from SSSC. Nevil had his selections divided as indoor and outdoor and I was outdoor so I picked his brain about outdoor stuff.

Pluton molded. Garlic Bud grew great and finished early October at 41N for me. It reminded me in some ways of Chem D. All the Garlic Bud were female and I didn't get a single seed from the patch. The skunk #1 patch had mostly females and a few males and I had a shit ton of seeds.

Thanks for posting the phone number and info Fletch. Do you have a pic of the number of joints Nevil smoked and rode his bike? That seems proof enough I called Nevil. On the internet you have to be skeptical but that didn't seem like a unbelievable boast.

goingrey

I agree, I actually know cf. They bought the seeds from the sensi smile shop in 88/89 si defo not shiva as sensi never even had shiva at that point in time. Nevil was supplying sensi with the skunk#1 at the time....an cf says they bought skunk#1 seeds. People forget the skunk#1 that nevil had at that time was still in it early generations an was different to later

Sensi's Shiva Skunk catalogue description says:
First released in 1987, Shiva Skunk was originally named NL#5xSK#1. Shortly after, it was renamed in honour of the Hindu god Shiva. Shiva Skunk won the Mostly Indica award at the first Cannabis Cup and has remained popular among growers ever since.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Nevil wrote that he actually crossed different generations of Sk1 lines with the Afg-T female. So there was more than one version of SS. Did Nevil sell seeds of more than one version, i don’t know.

I gathered that the Sensi Super Skunk is based on Skunk 18.5 generation but i’m not 100% sure.

The SK 18.5 was used to make MLI, Nevil said, and one of the males he crossed with an Ortega female was an Afg-T/Skunk 18.5., so basically a Super Skunk male. I wonder if it was his Sensi Super Skunk P1 male?

Here’s Nevil at MNS forums

11-05-2010, 09:03 AM

I bought Sams skunk and Sam was part of that group. The first line was a 7.1 line, I later got the 18.2 line and I think there was another line after 18.2. The last versions were much better. I'd worked on the last line of Sk1 for 5 or 6 gens. It was leagues ahead of the early stuff. I crossed this with AfgT. It was the best SS yet. SB got that stuff. I expect that it's in much of what your smoking these days (skunk wise).
N.

:::

Q: "..maple leaf indica according to Ed R (same book) is: Female Ortega15 x Sam afghan skunk X male Skunk 18.5. Any idea if this is correct?"

08-27-2010, 04:44 AM

I don't know what Ed is calling Maple leaf.
Ortega 15 was Maple leaf. This was crossed with AfgTx Sk and AfgS x sk males.
AfgT and AfgS were both sisters and pure maple leaf. Maybe Ed thought that AfgS meant Afg(Sam). It doesn't. The hybrid Ed is talking about is 3/4 Maple Leaf.
N.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I checked my old seed pack collection and I got Sk#1 and Garlic Bud from The Seed Bank. I bought Pluton and Williams Wonder from SSSC. Nevil had his selections divided as indoor and outdoor and I was outdoor so I picked his brain about outdoor stuff.

Pluton molded. Garlic Bud grew great and finished early October at 41N for me. It reminded me in some ways of Chem D. All the Garlic Bud were female and I didn't get a single seed from the patch. The skunk #1 patch had mostly females and a few males and I had a shit ton of seeds.

Thanks for posting the phone number and info Fletch. Do you have a pic of the number of joints Nevil smoked and rode his bike? That seems proof enough I called Nevil. On the internet you have to be skeptical but that didn't seem like a unbelievable boast.

Yes i do have a picture that describes Neville's quality control methods.

image.jpeg

numberguy

And Cannatorium you didn't know anything about the lime tipped leaves Mr. Skunk #1 expert. Most times these Skunk #1 threads go on and on and nobody not even Sam mentions the %^%$% yellow fan leaves and lime tipped leaves. Which is a very important description of Sk #1.
I know, and its lime growing tips not leaves.

Attachments

• MVC-590X.JPG
    MVC-590X.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 57
  • MVC-594X.JPG
    MVC-594X.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 51

iTarzan

I know, and its lime growing tips not leaves.
But yet the SSSC catalog that I linked specifically states "and yellow shade leaves" are not a sign of deficiency. Don't ya just hate it when you are wrong when trying to spike a fact.

Here it is again.

Last edited:

numberguy

Spike a fact? not sure what you mean by that but I was showing exactly what it states in the catalog. [growing tips often lime green] and shade leaves turn yellow. Sorry

iTarzan

Spike a fact? not sure what you mean by that but I was showing exactly what it states in the catalog. [growing tips often lime green] and shade leaves turn yellow. Sorry
Dude just stop the innocent bystander act. You didn't like the way I handled Mr. Know it All. So you were using my stating that the leaves had lime tipped leaves and some fan leaves. I grew it for over 20 years. I actually grew a few thousand SK #1 outdoors. One year when I was younger I had 400. I usually had at least 200 SK#1 in the cornfields every year from 1990 to 2010. It definitely had lime tipped leaves. I never really encountered yellow fan/shade leaves very often. And in my experience only 2 to 3 out of 10 had lime tipped leaves. SK #1was very true breeding and produced very similar plants from seed to seed. The lime tipped leaf ones stood out and IMHO were the best p[lants.That is the growing tips they are talking about. The top of the plant was not yellow. Spike the fact like spike a ball to emphasize the point.

And neither one is a deficiency. You made it sound like nothing happened to the fan/shade leaves. Now you want to split hairs. Sorry I was just sharing some interesting things about sk#1, The Seed Bank and Nevil and was rewarded with some people insinuating I was lying about calling Nevil because it would be unimaginable to have his number or him answering the phone. Then it was because I confused The Seed Bank with SSSC, then it was because the Seed Bank didn't sell Pluton and then it was because NOTHING happened to fan/shade leaves.

This is the sad state of interactions people in the world are having. Not everybody seems to wants to really chime in and have a nice discussion. It exposes you to undeserved negative comments. It was literally 35 years ago. I started posting in this thread from shear memory. I had some mixed up details but overall my posts were basically factual.

I said I called Nevil and I did call. I said the leaves were lime tipped and they were. Pardon my interruption.

I wanted to share a cool story because some people were bumping heads over stuff and I figured people would like to hear about Nevil and my sk #1 experiences. I am shocked that I am now in this negative crap.

I am out of this thread now. Thanks for the posts Fletch. They were fun.

Last edited:

numberguy

I show everyone a skunk alive today doing exactly what you were describing [I thought], yellowing shade leaves and lime green growing tips. And you do'nt recognize the conditions you were describing? Playing innocent bystander? I was trying to be nice as somehow I utterly confused you, that is what I was sorry about. You obviously do not need any help from me, so I will go back to quietly reading and keep my mouth shut.

TheDarkStorm

Thanks for sharing your experience..some good info in your posts.....I wonder...do you still have your seedbank skunk#1 line going still ?...would be cool if you still had it around....I was also secretly hoping you may have done garlic bud x skunk#1...fingers crossed ?
Ah you was asking about the lime tip or yellow tip skunk#1...I rember some very pale ones with almost yellow tips....im not 100% sure on this..as you know yourself some of these things were along time ago...but im sure I remember on some of the more pale golden leafed type skunk#1 plants the viens on the leaves would be a purple red...some of the early generations of skunk#1 from the seedbank prouduced beautiful plants with extreme scents.....there were some phenotypes wich unfortunately we dont see anymore.

With the super skunk f4 here guys...do we know the method they have been taken to f4.....was the f2 an f3 open pollinated to get the f4 ss or have the been reproduced via 1-1 breeding ?....im guessing 1-1 as they seem very stable....I suppose if a few males an females still exist from the f2 seeds in clone form then the possibilities of pulling out other ss lines based on different phenotypes are still there

Ps@ iTarzan...I dont think people are questioning or doubting your experience....I think there was just some missunderstang caused by the initial mix up between the two seedbanks with your earlier post....would be nice to still have you around in the thread as its obvious you have genuine first hand experience with some of the very early 80s seed varieties coming out of Holland(especially the skunk#1 wich has some relevance in the thread)..there isnt alot of us about still....I think numberguy was just trying to help aswell...

On with the super skunk guys.

Last edited:

iTarzan

I still have some of the seeds from the last batch I made. When I planted them they never had the lime color again. They weren't as potent and they had a quicker flowering time. Some were ready in late September.There was more variation too. Somebody in a breeding thread long ago said that I bottlenecked them. That you need to have way more plants in a breeding patch to keep it from happening. I don't know. I stopped planting them and went on a fantastic clone chase. I had 30something elite clones. It was a fantastic list of whose who. I came to love Chem D and Triangle OG (not kush) the most. Then the broad mites came and destroyed everything before people got a solution or even knew what they had.

I never made a cross with garlic bud because I didn't know I was going to get all females and they would be the last garlic bud plants I would have. I grew in the wilds. Hardly ever visited plants until harvest time. You couldn't leave a trail or the cops or thieves would get it. I have to worry about hunters too. They can find stuff easily with trails. They love to go down trails.

I would be shocked if Chem D didn't have garlic bud in it.

If I had known about cloning I could have cloned several Skunk #1 plants that were incredibly potent and delicious.
I had the UK Cheese cut. I thought it was a skunk #1 looking plant and had a flavor that some skunk #1 plants I grew had. They were ones that had normal leaf tip color. I thought UK cheese had a moderate buzz with extremely fast tolerance buildup. It was the most delicious weed I have smoked IMHO. I lost that one too.

William76

With the cheese it's not so much tolerance buildup it' mongs u but it gets boring after a while.u get fed up with it.76

kro-magnon

Veteran
I have never smoked Cheese until now, I've grown a cross of it, Cheese x C99 by Eskobar but I didn't like too much the buds it made. I think the two strain's so different flavors didn't mix very well.

Dawgz_Daze

I'm flipping 3 oh these Super Skunk F4 females into flower very soon. I have one that is really impressive already. Gotta get another pack for a male, but I'm gonna hit all the females with 2 different Sour Super Skunk males from Top Dawg.

Mimpi Manis

90´s were great time. if I can choose I would live only in 90´s :D sweet hashy musky herb was dominant. super skunk, widow, blueberry, trainwreck... it will never come back.. today, nothing smells like teen spirit...

Quote: "Today, nothing smells like teen spirit". Quote of the week.

Mimpi Manis

any one know anything about the SUPER SKUNK F2 cir 87 ??.

ran some a while back did not find what i was looking for but did make a bunch of freebie f3 and then some freebie f4, there out and about but i never really heard any one comment on how they for them.

also have some 90's super skunk from sense seeds, does any one know if NEV actually made those as well ??.

humm ..
I believe it was Sensei Seeds? At risk of starting another controversy, Neville was long gone by then I believe? https://www.wikileaf.com/strain/super-skunk/

Reactions: ojd