What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1970 Colombian Gold

Lugo

Veteran
Hello all, i have these '70 Colombian Gold flowering from original seeds my father collected back in 1970, they sat in an old film cannister until 2016 when he passed and inherited his seed collection. It wasnt a large collection by any means but it was a small selection of strain from 1969-1975. All original seeds he collected from bales/bricks/bundles that he "obtained" during that time.

These are currently on the end of week 16, and in my opinion habe 9-10 ish more weeks to go before they are ready for harvest

ive been growing landraces since 2014 and gearing up to begin doing preservation runs of every strain i habe from my dad. I wanted to get experience growing long flowering plants before i dove into these.
Hey Donald!

Plookerkingjon

This is fact, there hoards of people growing all the old mythical lines, just plodding away doing their thing. None of the ever been on a forum. Back in the 90s I knew a guy that had a killer thai line, he grew 1 or 2 plants down the side of his house every year without fail. Back in those days, we use to have group sessions and everyone would bring some of their home grown bud, I was always into the latest Dutch strain and at that given time, silver haze and silver pearl were the top smokes. But no matter what we had, we always ended smoking the thai, it was just that good. I lost touch with him a long time ago but I'd bet my house he still has it going
My god do I remember the old silver Pearl, back when we try to Northern Vermont to grow Sage team of ours only to realize that they were too prone to mold at least for us anyway

Plookerkingjon

Can I ask why you have 5 foot plants in Solo cups?
Stress testing initially, and now because I'm very finicky about what I want to keep them in and this is my first time growing a plant that doesn't have a really highFeeding need.
The only reason the majority of the ones that are still in Solo cups are in still in Solo cups is that I hate to go into this but it is what it is after 8 and 1/2 years of walking through the woods with my dog she got f****** Lyme disease which I thought initially was vestibular disease because I take her for a walk and she'd stop and she'd stare at me like I was speaking some foreign language and she tilt her head out of curiosity and then she starts stumbling like she was drunk like she had a head injury Well turns out she had Lyme disease and the treatments that the local veterinarians use do help tremendously but by the time it was all said and done I think I'd spent $2,200. I am not complaining but I think it played a huge role in me being able to stockpile the medium I like to use I have a particular medium that I like to have up here and at the beginning of the pandemic I had the same media that I had used for like nine seasons in a row and just replanted into it but it is and everything else that I had was taken from me so I had to rebuild upwards and onwards

Lugo

Veteran
Happy New Years folks...haven't been on here since last year 😄

This here is some gold cured Colombian Punto Rojo or the actual Colombian Gold 🥇

Pics from last year, have a great weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_114926_317.jpg
    IMG_20240119_114926_317.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20240120_225815_896.jpg
    IMG_20240120_225815_896.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 78

Lugo

Veteran
Hey all, I just went through this entire thread and realized that many folks were doubting or even dismissing @HippieCannaGen Colombian line.

Although I am not a botanist or an authority in any sense of the word or in any sense period 🤣 I can definetely vouche for the legitimacy of @HippieCannaGen Colombian line.

I'm quite familiar with my Colombians and I was frankly shocked that someone in the US was successfully growing and reproducing it under whatever circumstance.

As far as old seed goes I agree with a commenter that room temp is not the same for all and that seeds have a better chance in certain Northern climates due to natural cold so its not unfathomable that a seeds viability may be stretched a bit in reasonable (airtight) storage.

I have some 30+ year old seed (yes, it was originally in a film cannister) and I did a small batch germ test which I documented in our old FB landrace group and the results were more than surprising, although I did not get 1 successful germination out of those seeds about 40% popped (blackroot) so considering the small amount I tested I felt confident that considering the total volume of the seed if I could get even 10% successful germination I'd be in the pink.

Anyways never underestimate the film can seed!

And don't forget theres a bit of faith and magic involved 🧝‍♂️!

Attachments

• received_937152494748837.jpeg
    received_937152494748837.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 9771990e-c310-4b17-b64e-1c077c1a26c6orca_share_media.jpeg
    9771990e-c310-4b17-b64e-1c077c1a26c6orca_share_media.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 4564fc37-fc2d-42b6-81f5-8cf3766c2479orca_share_media.jpeg
    4564fc37-fc2d-42b6-81f5-8cf3766c2479orca_share_media.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 37

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Edit: just realized how old this thread is haha.

In regard to germination, like most people I’ve seen 10 year plus, improperly stored seeds get 30-50 percent germination rates with alittle effort but 52 years old, good Lord. The OP is a scam artist still lurking on here.

Last edited:

Wolverine97

Veteran
This study from 1914 (!) found hemp seed viability 100% after one year, 95% after two years, 40% after four years, and less than 1% after five years: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdf/10.1086/331381

I have personally had 100% germination from five-year-old seeds though.
I too have my doubts, but devil's advocate here; last season, I pulled out some 15-17 year old seeds I brought back from various trips to Jamaica. I only popped one "line", six seeds as a test. I got 4/6, one of which was a severe runt that didn't survive. They were not even close to properly stored. Just saying.

GrandpaMillenial

Hey all, I just went through this entire thread and realized that many folks were doubting or even dismissing @HippieCannaGen Colombian line.

Although I am not a botanist or an authority in any sense of the word or in any sense period 🤣 I can definetely vouche for the legitimacy of @HippieCannaGen Colombian line.

I'm quite familiar with my Colombians and I was frankly shocked that someone in the US was successfully growing and reproducing it under whatever circumstance.

As far as old seed goes I agree with a commenter that room temp is not the same for all and that seeds have a better chance in certain Northern climates due to natural cold so its not unfathomable that a seeds viability may be stretched a bit in reasonable (airtight) storage.

I have some 30+ year old seed (yes, it was originally in a film cannister) and I did a small batch germ test which I documented in our old FB landrace group and the results were more than surprising, although I did not get 1 successful germination out of those seeds about 40% popped (blackroot) so considering the small amount I tested I felt confident that considering the total volume of the seed if I could get even 10% successful germination I'd be in the pink.

Anyways never underestimate the film can seed!

And don't forget theres a bit of faith and magic involved 🧝‍♂️!

Hello @Lugo

I started following you on Instagram a while back.

Any way, here are some of his 1970 Colombian Gold grown indoors, with a bit of training and a 10/14 flowering cycle.

@113 days of 10/14, 12 weeks of actual flowers present on the plants.

These are really exciting to grow!

IMG_0626.jpeg

IMG_0614.jpeg

I’d love to learn about your gold curing process.

Rhizoma

Hello all, i have these '70 Colombian Gold flowering from original seeds my father collected back in 1970, they sat in an old film cannister until 2016 when he passed and inherited his seed collection. It wasnt a large collection by any means but it was a small selection of strain from 1969-1975. All original seeds he collected from bales/bricks/bundles that he "obtained" during that time.

These are currently on the end of week 16, and in my opinion habe 9-10 ish more weeks to go before they are ready for harvest

ive been growing landraces since 2014 and gearing up to begin doing preservation runs of every strain i habe from my dad. I wanted to get experience growing long flowering plants before i dove into these.
Love the project and preservation idea. congratulations

goingrey

I too have my doubts, but devil's advocate here; last season, I pulled out some 15-17 year old seeds I brought back from various trips to Jamaica. I only popped one "line", six seeds as a test. I got 4/6, one of which was a severe runt that didn't survive. They were not even close to properly stored. Just saying.
I have also successfully popped over 10-year-old seeds that were just stored in a drawer.

But not seeds that are over 50 years old.. I mean, haven't tried and failed either so.. :dunno:

Lugo

Veteran