What's new

1970 Colombian Gold

Hempy McNoodle

Not true at all. Classic of classic seeds died left me a bunch of seeds and i am getting close to 100% germ rates on seeds 20-50ys old. A few from the 60s several strains from the 70s. Columbians, Thai,Mexicans, bunch of africans ,korean skunk,RKS,lime skunk,old humboldt purple and green,Dr.Atomic Stuff rezz dog stuff old Chemo, BSHW etc..

He kept the seeds in small bottles stuffed w cotton in a freezer that wasnt frost free. He said do not use frost free feezers. I just sent a bunch of african seeds to kagyu(coastal seeds) some 30 or more yrs old we see what kind of germ rates he gets.

This just a few.. vitamin bottles are full of the small brown bottles

Texasjack, meet your new best friend! :friends:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Even if its fishy, I would gladly germinate seeds and look for great weed... Worst case scenario they are Ohaze or some other old release with high sativa appearance... I would be willing to take the risk and grow seeds and see for myself... Id rather be safe and try to get the opportunity to smoke good weed than to write it off as bs and regret it.... Either way people fall for way shittier tricks in life and smoke way shittier weed chasing hype than someone chasing landraces.

I'd gladly germinate some seeds if youneed a tester

texasjack

Texasjack, meet your new best friend! :friends:

Kagyu just made a bunch of 72 Thai stick cross w diff hawaiians...maui wowie, kona gold etc... said he is going to drop some for sale.

The Korean Skunk x Romulan plants are coiming out real good very strong smell even the males.

Homebrewer used to test grow classics long flowering old sats but he isnt around since the plandemic started. Holler at me.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Not true at all. Classic of classic seeds died left me a bunch of seeds and i am getting close to 100% germ rates on seeds 20-50ys old. A few from the 60s several strains from the 70s. Columbians, Thai,Mexicans, bunch of africans ,korean skunk,RKS,lime skunk,old humboldt purple and green,Dr.Atomic Stuff rezz dog stuff old Chemo, BSHW etc..

He kept the seeds in small bottles stuffed w cotton in a freezer that wasnt frost free. He said do not use frost free feezers. I just sent a bunch of african seeds to kagyu(coastal seeds) some 30 or more yrs old we see what kind of germ rates he gets.

This just a few.. vitamin bottles are full of the small brown bottles

No one ever put seed in the fridge or freezer in the 70s 80s or 90s that i knew the storing of seed long term in the fridge or freezer came about by the forums and the spreading of information.

I figured it out by researching on line and finding posted recurses from the University of Hawaii who had lots of long term seed preservation information.

Seed dose not like moisture air light and changes in temperature.

Seed if stored correctly can last up to a max of 50 years in a freezer but your germ rate will drop the longer you store them so no way you will get 100% even at 20 years.

Once you unfreeze seed you need to germinate them you cant re freeze they need to be used.

I personally lost a lot of valuable genetics as did many friends from storing in draws and why i looked hard into long term seed storage.

5 year old seed in a draw odds are not in your favor to see them germ that is a fact and people that dont know this have clearly not stored seed in a draw for 5 years or more.

texasjack

No one ever put seed in the fridge or freezer in the 70s 80s or 90s that i knew the storing of seed long term in the fridge or freezer came about by the forums and the spreading of information.

I figured it out by researching on line and finding posted recurses from the University of Hawaii who had lots of long term seed preservation information.

Seed dose not like moisture air light and changes in temperature.

Seed if stored correctly can last up to a max of 50 years in a freezer but your germ rate will drop the longer you store them so no way you will get 100% even at 20 years.

Once you unfreeze seed you need to germinate them you cant re freeze they need to used.

I personally lost a lot of valuable genetics as did many friends from storing in draws and why i looked hard into long term seed storage.

5 year old seed in a draw odds are not in your favor to see them germ that is a fact and people that dont know this have clearly not stored seed in a draw for 5 years or more.

The seeds i have 10-15 yrs old that werent kept in a freezer arent getting that good germ rates...about 50/50 maybe 60/40 on. some.

Well somebody forgot to tell classic and kagyu that nobody put seeds in freezers in the 70s 80s etc... b/c they sure did so did others. No reason for them to lie nothing to gain at all.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The only way strains from the 60s and 70s even the 80s have survived is by them being grown by growers who refreshes the seed every few years.

Most growers grew say 4 different lines at most some as few as 1 and they grew set genetics year after year.

That is how genetics got preserved.

Growers also passing seed to family and friends.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The seeds i have 10-15 yrs old that werent kept in a freezer arent getting that good germ rates...about 50/50 maybe 60/40 on. some.

Well somebody forgot to tell classic and kagyu that nobody put seeds in freezers in the 70s 80s etc... b/c they sure did so did others. No reason for them to lie nothing to gain at all.

Texasjack i have seed stored in special seed packs that are for long storage preservation from seed savers.

My seed are cured before stored and then correctly stored in the fridge.

I have seed that are 19 years old that i now see with a few tricks 40% max germination rates. I have much older seed to.

If i use only tap water i get 0%.

I have very old genetics like Colombian Red but they survived because people grew them year after year and made fresh seed every few years.

I started growing in 79 trust me when i tell you no one stored seed in the fridge or freezer the draw was as good as it got.

texasjack

Texasjack i have seed stored in special seed packs that are for long storage preservation from seed savers.

My seed are cured before stored and then correctly stored in the fridge.

I have seed that are 19 years old that i now see with a few tricks 40% max germination rates. I have much older seed to.

If i use only tap water i get 0%.

I have very old genetics like Colombian Red but they survived because people grew them year after year and made fresh seed every few years.

I started growing in 79 trust me when i tell you no one stored seed in the fridge or freezer the draw was as good as it got.

We just have to disagree on this 1 my friend. I've never known classic to lie...he was honest almost to a fault.

I started growing in cali the mid 80s when i got out the navy. Classic been growing and breeding since the 60s when he got back from nam.Same w kagyu. I dont know why you are having those germs rates. I have seeds from mid 2000 that i bought keep in my closet and i get about 50% or better germ rates on those. No reason for me to lie i aint selling anything.

take care my friend

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
We just have to disagree on this 1 my friend. I've never known classic to lie...he was honest almost to a fault.

I started growing in cali the mid 80s when i got out the navy. Classic been growing since the 60s when he got back from nam.Same w kagyu. I dont know why you are having those germs rates. I have seeds from mid 2000 that i bought keep in my closet and i get about 50% or better germ rates on those. No reason for me to lie i aint selling anything.

take care my friend

Texasjack i keep it honest mate i have nothing to gain by posting here.

I have spent over 2 decades re hunting down or trying to find genetics i lost to poor preservation i thought were preserved well but clearly were not.

I have collected lots and lots of genetics and any that were stored in draws even for 5 years were no longer viable.

Friends handed me things they last grew a decade before Zero germ some things 5 years old stored in draws Zero again.

The only viable genetics were genetics with seed made 3 or less years before if stored in draws and no one but me that i know stores seed correctly still.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I think the differences people are seeing is related to environment. Room temp in one part of the world is different than the other side. ​​​​​​When I started growing in my first towel closet in 2011, I popped seeds that I saved from graduation in 99. that was first time I ever grew (on purpose, not including plants that spring up from flicking seeds out windows) I honestly don't remember numbers, but I would think I would remember if only 3/4s of them germinated. I definitely didn't store them properly for 12 years. They were in a film canister in cardboard box that moved from house to house with my cap, gown, yearbook, diploma and other worthless shit.

Again... I don't want anyone to think I'm advertising my plant or anything. That thing Hermed on me big time. Nobody would want it. I'm just saying it's definitely possible to get seeds to germinate after 5 years of improper storage. As a newbie I sprouted 12 year old seeds.
​​​​​​And I'm definitely not doing any personal attack.
Hempy, I'm sure you're a better grower than I, with decades more experience than me... So it CAN'T have anything to do with grower skill...That's why I say it's got to be an environmental thing? A drawer in your part of the world must be a rougher environment than a drawer in my part of the world.

HippieCannaGen

Perhaps a good way to gaining a little faith from all the doubters would be to share your methods for getting 30% germ rates from 50 year old seeds? Surely some of your accusers have old seeds that they feel are unviable but have yet to dispose of for one reason or another. If they can copy your methods and achieve what they believe is impossible then that should give your claims more credibility and if you do it just purely for the desire to help others save old strains without asking for anything in return then that should help others believe you are not as mercenary as they seem to think you are.

Frankly I'm a bit appalled by the reaction you're getting. I don't see where you've asked for anything more then for people to believe you're not lying. You did share some pics in your opening post so it's not as if you're making claims without some photographic evidence. It seems to me the sole basis for the criticism is based on the inability of others to do what you claim you've done (germinate some really old seed) which is why I encourage you to share your methods. Just because someone can't do what someone else claims to be able to do is not evidence of dishonesty, skepticism sure but at least give the person a chance to prove themselves, you just might end up learning something and if not, what have you really lost?

You made a lot of sense with that! And i appreciate it! As far as getting the seeds to crack, i use minor scarification, and then soak for 24 hours in a H2O2 solution. The seeds are then moved to damp paper towel in a ziplock for anywhere up to 2-2 1/2 weeks (checking regularly) in a dark area ontop of a seedling heating mat ( my mat is several years old and doesnt heat evenly anymore so i put it twords the cooler end as to not cook the seeds (learned the hardway).

as to mex's question, they have a sweet earthy, cedar smell with hints of incense showing up more and more as they get further in flower

HippieCannaGen

[No message]

Attachments

• photo2108416.jpg
    photo2108416.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 103
  • photo2108420.jpg
    photo2108420.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 100
  • photo2109194.jpg
    photo2109194.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 96
  • photo2109193.jpg
    photo2109193.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 95
  • photo2109195.jpg
    photo2109195.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 94
  • photo2109196.jpg
    photo2109196.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 105
  • photo2109197.jpg
    photo2109197.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 101
  • photo2109198.jpg
    photo2109198.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 104
  • photo2109199.jpg
    photo2109199.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 99
  • photo2109200.jpg
    photo2109200.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 110

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
In fairness to the skeptics I did go and do a bit of search engine research by looking up "viability of old Cannabis seed" and of the pages that came up that talked about Cannabis seed (some came up talking about seed in general) the consensus was that while old seeds can be germinated if stored properly they all seemed to agree the maximum length of time was 6 - 10 years. Now none of these pages read like they were doing any serious research to find the absolute maximum length of time seeds can go so I wouldn't take 6-10 years to be an absolute but with so many saying 6-10 years I can understand the skeptics better now. However there is a lot to this story we don't know. For one thing the story doesn't make clear how close of a relationship there was between son and Father. I'm not suggesting there was anything bad in the relationship but rather pointing out that for all we know son and father lived in two different places and didn't discuss what growing activities either were engaged in. Also the initial post didn't make clear that these seeds were untouched since the 70's just that they originated from strains in the 70's. So for all we know the Father was periodically growing these seeds out every few years to preserve the viability. All we really know for sure is nothing was done since 2016 because 2016 was when his dad passed and the son inherited the seed collection. We also know that it wasn't a very large collection and that being the case it might not have required too much of an effort by the Father to grow out fresh seed runs every so often. So it is possible that the seeds the son inherited were less then 10 years old but the son was unaware of that because he didn't live with the father during recent years up to 2016 and so the son just assumed the seeds were over 50 years old because the seeds were sorted based on the year the Father first came into possession of them. I also didn't see anywhere in the discussion where the son talked about plans for selling the seeds. Just one person saying he would be interested in making a deposit to lock in potential future seed sales. What I'm getting at is that there were a lot of assumptions made and maybe in the future instead of jumping right to the conclusion that it's all too good to be true and/or a scam people should give at least a little benefit of doubt and ask further questions to establish all the facts first rather then jumping straight to the conclusion that someone is lying and trying to scam people..

I would also add that as I said none of the sites I found when doing my search seem to be developing scientific conclusions of the max age cannabis seeds can be viable. I know over the years I have seen many people talk about having really old stashes of seeds. One guy in particular I remember talked about having a large collection he kept in a water/air tight jar that he then stashed deep in some mountain spring to keep them refrigerated which leads me to believe in that case at least that person felt his stash was viable and it was probably unlikely he was going into the mountains and retrieving his stash to refresh the seeds every few years. All of which is just to say that just because a few sites found in a search engine say 10 years is the max is not solid proof that it is the max. At best it just makes it seem unlikely that past 10 years seeds will still grow.

Now I could ask the OP some questions to try to establish if his Father periodically renewed the seeds but given the criticisms he's already got and the accusations of scamming he could think he better answer in a way that makes people think the Father renewed the seeds and so people still will probably doubt him still. Which is why I say we should ask questions first if we have doubts. All I can be certain of at this point based on the pictures that have been shared is that the plants shown are indeed sativa strains.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
HempKat , he does has these seeds listed on his website for (future) sale. A quick Google search will bring it up.

And on his social media it reads that his father had never grown these seeds out but saved them only. See also the post made here on the forum. The seeds were 50 years old, stored in a wooden box in a dresser.
​​​​​​

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
More pics please. Let’s see some full plant pics.
hempy - weed growing did not start and end with you. Please don’t act like you know it all. Michael Stark’s Marijuana Potency book in 1977 told us that storing can be done in freezers.

RingtailCanyon why insult me ? I know how long seed are viable for were you clearly dont.

You are free to believe what ever you like but i am also free to call bull shit when i see it to.

Seed not stored CORRECTLY in a fridge or freezer is not going to last much more than 5 years.

Correctly means no light no air and no moisture in a fridge or freezer at a constant temp.

Dutch Passion say up to 16 months seed remain viable out side of a fridge or freezer go do some research.

I have collected so much seed of very old lines from friends in the last 25 years or so that were stored in Draws in film canisters to old pill canisters not one seed germinated. Trust me i and them wished they had.

Seed stored correctly dont remain viable for ever they to have an expiry date.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
HempKat , he does has these seeds listed on his website for (future) sale. A quick Google search will bring it up.

Yeah but he did not promote that site here that I'm aware of. I mean I know all kinds of stuff can be found out about people on the internet these days, if they ever posted something on the internet it can be found. In some cases even if the initial information posted was taken down thanks to places backing things up on clouds. When his site was first mentioned he did own up to it right away and point out that while it looks ready for sale it's not actually able to process a sale and he even encouraged people to place an order if they doubted him. Look, I'm not saying you all are wrong about him nor am I saying you're right, I'm just pointing out that intentions are being assigned to him beyond what he has stated. The only intention I've seen him talk about is to share his efforts to grow the stuff out. It just doesn't seem right to me that he's being accused of things because someone found something that he never told them to look for. Again though I'm trying to be fair to all sides here and in fairness to you you were one of the few if not the only one to ask some follow up questions to figure out more exactly what he was talking about.

RingtailCanyon

There’s no insult hempy. You are just wrong and the one spreading misinformation. Look up Marijuana Potency by Michael Starks 1977. You can read right there it says seeds can be stored in the freezer.

Latest posts

Latest posts