What's new

18 hour light cycle

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Wheres the study that shows worldwide genetic stock expressing 20% more hermaphrodites after the 'boon' of idealistic photoperiod manipulation?

Rattrap

Verite said:
Wheres the study that shows worldwide genetic stock expressing 20% more hermaphrodites after the 'boon' of idealistic photoperiod manipulation?

?????
sorry dude i'm just a simple stoner, care to try that one again in english? lol

V

vhGhost

not to sure but i think he is trying to say that when science started fucking with light piriods, we started to see "hermies" <- bad genetics

Azra3l said:
Hi Guys,

I'm just brand new to ICmag forum, and I would just like to give you this link to a test grow with a 6h40 ON/12h OFF flowering test:
http://www.advancednutrientsmedical.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9819&page=1&pp=15

But I wanna say that:
-Cannabis is a C4 plant so there is no point in saying that it cannot exploit a full 12h light cycle.
-A study by J.R. VALLE show that diminushing light to 10h of light instead of 12h , will also diminish the THC content by more than a half. So, you can expect an even more important diminution with a 6h40light cycle of the cannabiboids content
Here is a link to an abstract of the study:
http://www.unodc.org/unodc/bulletin/bulletin_1978-01-01_1_page008.html

But nevertheless, it can be an interesting cycle if you wanna speed up your flowering

Cheers

PS: excuse my English, I don't speak english fluently

Hi there,

That's my thread over at AN that you provided a link too and I can tell you this there was NO diminishing in THC I spread some it a round the comunity and was told that it was some of the best pot they ever smoked.

Now I'm not saying that the other link is incorrect I just think they are looking at if wrong and should be labled Dark periods over 12 hour deminishes THC. Again they were working on a 24 hour day.

I will be posting my next grow with a harvest master here so you can watch too.

G

think of it this way AS plant uses light as its food, if you lower the amount of available lighting it will finish faster as it thinks its time is coming to an end.
however it does this at a cost of THC and YEILD.
thats the facts of the matter. It stores LIGHT for feeding during the dark period, if you take away its food its going to loose weight.

Cant wait to see your test results, cause I know what they are going to be.
How do you plan on testing the THC levels?

Last edited:

Azra3l

Hi,

That's my thread over at AN that you provided a link too and I can tell you this there was NO diminishing in THC I spread some it a round the comunity and was told that it was some of the best pot they ever smoked.
IMO, without a side-by-side experiment, with exactly the same conditions (light wattage, surface, cuttings, etc ... ) made at the same period and an analyze of the cannabinoids contents, you can not judge of the effect of your light manipulation
A cannalyze test would be a good option even if it's not that precise or you can try it with a blind smoke test of both weeds

I just think they are looking at if wrong and should be labled Dark periods over 12 hour deminishes THC. Again they were working on a 24 hour day.
I'm not really convinced by this argument because away from the effect on the oxydation/reduction of phytochroms and thus the flowering activation I don't see how a dark period over 12hours will affect cannabinoids contents.

Anyway, I think that there is no point on arguing about this without a side-by-side experiment and a blind test. If you wanna make a serious test with :
-same genetic from the same mother
-same growing period
-same nutes
-same surface
-same light wattage
-and blind test
It will really be interesting. Any other way to make it won't be a conclusive test IMO. And there's another point, how this will affect the total yield ? Let's say for a moment that it doesn't affect the cannabinoids contents but about the weight ?

PS: again, sorry for my bad english

Cheers

Last edited:

Rattrap

Hey all fellow mad scientests!
Well i got my veg timer schedule worked out & put my latest grow onto the accelerated growing secheule.
I've found that for a circular 7 day schedule where u don't need to reset the digital timer every week requires an 18hr 40min day. I've divided it into 14.4 hrs lights on & 4 hrs lights off. This gives me 9 accelerated 'plant days' to 7 normal days. I'd like to have had a seperate comparsion system growing on normal time as a control grow but i just can't afford to set up a 2nd grow room at the moment. I'll just have to rely on my past growing experence to tell me if the upcomming buds are better off or worse off by using this method.
The pics below were taken at the start of the accelerated grow cycle.
The system is a top fed hydroponic system using 30L double pots & scoria asthe grow medium. Scoria is a form of volcanic rock. its at least 1/4 the cost of hydroton & is a great home for benificial bacteria.
I'm using the full range of DM nutes including their folar sprays.
The strains being grown are 6 Kaos in the hydro system & 2 Celtic Stone grown in soil. The Kaos are all from cuttings while the CS is from seed.
The Kaos is actually an unknown strain from a mate of mine who was given it by a mate who was given in by a mate....... U get where i'm comming from.
Kaos appears to be a Sativa dominant stain in both plant shape & smoke style, it's a 12 week flowering strain, it does a secondary flower at around 7 -8 weeks into flower where it begins to bulk out some more.
The Celtic stone is a 7 week flowering strain.

These first 2 pics are of the Kaos clones in my current system at the start of the accelerated grow cycle.

This one is of 1 of the Celtic Stone grown from seed in soil.

Next is a group shot, as u can guess the Celtic Stone are the 2 in the middle with the perlite on top of the soil.

Heres a couple of pics from the mate who gave me the kaos, he's grown it out quite a few times now & i'm sure u'll agree hes done a mighty fine job with them.

Last edited:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Plants measure their dark cycle,,,, not their light cycle... Flashin lights in the middle of the plants dark cycle will reset there clock, this technique has been used by commercial Poinsettia growers for some time now to be able to flower their plants all season long.

Rattrap

sadly i had to cancel the 18hr test, i was getting too much heat build up when the lights come on during the day & my exhaust fan is too noisy to run during the day. sorry folks, when i get my system better setup i'll do another trial

G

Anyone else considering doing this?? I would love to see actual results.

:)

Well I will be starting another round shortly. :lurk: And if you click the link in my sig that is a 18 hour day experiment... It works!!!

Last edited:
G

CosmicBadBoy - A quick question: were the plants shorter on a 18hr. day than on a 24hr. day? I was wondering if a pure sativa's height would be less with a 18hr day since it had less days to grow (or is it logical that it would).

Last edited:

GDB

This light cycle sounds similar to cannabis growing on another planet. My main question is what effect would this have on the progeny?

I've seen strains that never herm and these would be ideal to use. Am I the only one who finds it funny that shortening harvest time is deemed taboo? Ohwell :)

Latest posts

Latest posts