What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

M

m00nchild

^ What he said... and removing the exif data is as simple as transferring the photo from your camera to your computer, then opening that photo in whatever editing software you use, and resaving it. I also take the time to resize it to about 25% or so, just because otherwise they would be unnecessarily huge.

And yes yes YES, use an anonymous email. My favorite is hushmail.com. The perfect "throwaway" email host!

jpizle

Whats up again 150 peeps.

Really guys, you can put em like 6" away from the bulb? Like right from seed? My seedling is doin good, apparently it was my soil last time(epic fail). Just starting to push out the 3 finger leaves now(8 days old), think I could move it closer now, or is it still too little? Also, what do you guys think about misting? Beneficial or unecessary?

Anyways..looking good everyone, nice pics.

Pizle

EDIT- Way off topic, but does anyone here play XBL? Wanna get shot up on MW2? Let me know. :biggrin:

:smoweed:

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
Good advice TeaHateSea & m00nchild! It's also important to remember the #1 rule of growing as well... DO NOT EVER TELL ANYONE WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!

TeaHateSea

Good advice TeaHateSea & m00nchild! It's also important to remember the #1 rule of growing as well... DO NOT EVER TELL ANYONE WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!

Yep, the most obvious, overlooked and forgotten rule of growing...and yet I forgot to even mention it. DOH! :)

Thanks Vinter.

blwd67

So what happened to ic for the past few days? I don't know about anybody else, but I couldn't log on until this morning.

Anyway, in my neck of the woods I lost power for almost three days, pretty sucky. I was worried my ladies wouldn't survive, as they are very young, really just barely in veg. It would have been a tragic ending to a really shitty time germinating.

Come to find out this morning when I looked in (I haven't looked at the plants since the power went out) they are doing great. They did stretch up a tiny bit, but they were so small anyway that it's no big deal. The mix seed is putting out three fingers from the second node, I think the next one is a five but it's still to small to tell.

So long story short, my ladies did just fine without icmag or power :)

I am thinking about shutting off the 150 for a bit and running cfls. They just seemed to do well with no light, ^so I am thinking maybe the light is to intense right now. Any thoughts?

For seedlings that haven't reached their "5 finger" leaf sets yet. IMO I'd say absolutely they should've been under cfl's to begin with. 150w HID can be a little too intense and hot for youngsters like that. I've known some growers to just set them by a window where no one will see for a little sun for their first week or so of life. Hope they didn't get stressed. Stay safe and happy growing.

-S.E.

So what happened to ic for the past few days? I don't know about anybody else, but I couldn't log on until this morning.

Anyway, in my neck of the woods I lost power for almost three days, pretty sucky. I was worried my ladies wouldn't survive, as they are very young, really just barely in veg. It would have been a tragic ending to a really shitty time germinating.

Come to find out this morning when I looked in (I haven't looked at the plants since the power went out) they are doing great. They did stretch up a tiny bit, but they were so small anyway that it's no big deal. The mix seed is putting out three fingers from the second node, I think the next one is a five but it's still to small to tell.

So long story short, my ladies did just fine without icmag or power :)

I am thinking about shutting off the 150 for a bit and running cfls. They just seemed to do well with no light, ^so I am thinking maybe the light is to intense right now. Any thoughts?

blwd67

Thanks, man. What kind of stress should I be looking for? They do seem to be growing kind of slow, third or fourth node and almost two weeks since germed. They both look healthy, though. Actually in the last week they look 100x better than before, i was worried I was gonna lose them for a while.

As far as the 150 goes.. They are about 24" from the light right now, were allot closer but that definitely wasn't cool so I dropped them down. If the seemingly slow growth or possibility of hermi is present, though, let me know what you think and I'll do what I have to.

I really want an all 150 grow so I can say I did it haha

AcroPhobic

Day 33 of 12/12

Day 33 of 12/12

Smallest plant out of 8. Full force flowering in effect. Summer heatwave is no match for my under 80 degree cab temps. :)

Watering every 4 days for 6 clones in 3 liter pots .. every 2 days for 2 clones in 2 liter pots.

picture.php

blwd67

Sweet. That's what I want. Like good size plants in a smaller space. A nice perpetual micro setup would be great.

AcroPhobic

I'm swimming in green. :)

I have 11 SD X SC females outside and I just put 8 more rooted indoor clones outside a week ago = 19 females outside.

I just transplanted 5 more rooted clones into 2 liter pots and added to HPS cab few hrs ago to start 12/12.

So now I have 13 clones in cab. I'm dualing 150's also this run .. one 150 HPS and five 4100k 32watt cfl's = 300+watts

The buds are bigger,tighter and more resinous this round with the added 150+watts of cfl's with more blue/white light.

blwd67

I keep flip flopping on whether to use my clf fixtures in a seedling/veg/mother area or just install them in the flower area. How large is your area? Mine is just over 1sqft with nearly three feet of headspace. I feel like the 150w HPS should be enough, but if he mix spectrum can add anything then I'll probably put them in.

Honestly right now I am thinking there is way to much light for the young ones.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The seedlings can probably handle all the light intensity you can throw at them. What they can't take is too much heat and not enough air flow.
IMO, having a separate place with CFLs for veg is the way to go, and let the 150 do your flowering. Adding the CFLs in the flower box puts out lots more heat than what the three bulbs will help, unless you have your air flow dialed in and the box can take the extra heat.
It is for sure that an enhanced spectrum of light increases both yield and potency, but to what degree does it add? If a comparison was done with controls, I think you would find that the extra electricity and effort wasn't fully worth the effort.

Having somewhere to veg while the others are flowering is invaluable. If you can't do bigger than 150hps, and you need some yield, then I would highly suggest setting yourself up so you can veg a screen full of green that you can put into flower when the others are done. Three 32w cfls is plenty to veg out just about anything.
With proper care and timing, you could easily keep yourself in smoke.

blwd67

Well, I have another side of the cab empty right now. Also have three ceramic fixtures with splitters. I was going to build a shelf on the vacant side and have a veg and mother area. The only thing is holding me back is light proofing.

AcroPhobic

The seedlings can probably handle all the light intensity you can throw at them. What they can't take is too much heat and not enough air flow.
IMO, having a separate place with CFLs for veg is the way to go, and let the 150 do your flowering. Adding the CFLs in the flower box puts out lots more heat than what the three bulbs will help, unless you have your air flow dialed in and the box can take the extra heat.
It is for sure that an enhanced spectrum of light increases both yield and potency, but to what degree does it add? If a comparison was done with controls, I think you would find that the extra electricity and effort wasn't fully worth the effort.

Having somewhere to veg while the others are flowering is invaluable. If you can't do bigger than 150hps, and you need some yield, then I would highly suggest setting yourself up so you can veg a screen full of green that you can put into flower when the others are done. Three 32w cfls is plenty to veg out just about anything.
With proper care and timing, you could easily keep yourself in smoke.
Yep .. it's all about airflow! The temp increase in my cab is 2 degrees higher with added 5 cfl's. My temp doesn't go over 80 with all 300 watts running. I have a seperate pc fan blowing on those 5 cfl light directed at exhaust. No extra effort for me with added cfl's. The increase in electric bill was not much at all. No skin off my back.

I can fit about 16 three liter pots in space. So next round indoor after outdoor harvest I'm starting from seed again. Just gotta pick a strain from my collection. Vegging, sexing, cloning and running a SOG with 1-2week veg clones under current 300 + watts.

blwd67

I am going to wait. I'll use the three i have to set up seedling/ veg/ mother area. Where did you buy your pc fans? I only have one right now as exhaust as well as a larger desk fan blowing across the light.

AcroPhobic

I am going to wait. I'll use the three i have to set up seedling/ veg/ mother area. Where did you buy your pc fans? I only have one right now as exhaust as well as a larger desk fan blowing across the light.
Buy? I don't buy. I get stuff free or use what's around the house already. I goto a local thrift shop and they usually have boxes of computer fans and adapters that they give away for free. I also go to local dump/recycle center and find working PC's dumped by rich folk, take what I want for free as the guy who works there doesn't care as long as it's less mess for him.

Only thing I bought this early summer was a brand new case of twelve 32watt 4100k bulbs for $10 .. which is a steal of a deal compared to folks that buy 42watters at walmart or whatever for $8-12 bucks a pop.

Continually I plan this older modified cab out and sometimes I think it'd be nice to have some outside opinions. Plans keep changing and getting better IMHO. Most recently heres what I've been thinking. As I said the original cab is 32"Hx48"Wx16"D. Before I was thinking to split the cab to make a perpetual cab and I still want to I've just changed my idea from using 1/3 the width for the veg/mother/clone portion and the rest of the 2/3 of the width for flower to splitting the width down by half making both 2 feet wide instead of 16"W for veg and 32" for flower. Somehow it didn't make sense to try and keep a mother and a bunch of clones in a smaller portion as it seems like thats where I would need more space. I have the flower part pretty figured out, I want to put dual lights in there one 150w HPS and one 150w MH for a more complete spectrum and whatnot. I'm a little sketchy on what I want for the veg side as far as lighting goes. I'm not sure if I should put another 150w MH in there or a group of cfl's. My largest concern is heat and the fact that I've never used 150w HID thus far. My heat concerns are mainly with the flower side of the cab tho I don't want to stress plants on either side. CFLs seem to be cooler and in my mind wouldn't really contribute much temperature to either side but would one 150w MH be better? I really wanna know how much heat these things are capable of especially consider I would have 2-3 HID's in there in total. I can't emphasize how much I need this to be light and odor proofed and with this I have some pretty good ideas I'm just not sure about the overall airflow potential because the starting cfm's are going to be between 120-180 before I add in the carbon filter. It's all going to be one exhaust pulling air out from the top of the inside of both sides of the cabinet. BTW the barrier between the different sides will be 1/2" thick osb/plywood. Any and all ideas will be considered and credited. I want to put together one kickass perpetual minimal maintenance maximum stealth setup. Take care and grow safe ladies 'n' gents'.

-S.E.