What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Just my 2 cents, but I would use Cozy's candycane method. Do it when your plants are real thirsty and they'll be more flexible.

I

itsjustaride

sups all, got a couple quick questions, i setup a 150 cab a lil while ago i used the panasonic wisper /scrubber that bleaunth sugested. it has worked pretty great, untill recently. its in a slightly larger cab now under a 400watt. it just isnt cutting it any more. i replaced the carbon feb 2nd with 4 lb of pelitized activated carbon from petco. any ideas on sumpthing i can do for odor without making a whole new and bigger scrubber? they really stink bad last say 2-3 weeks o flower.

also i made a lil co2 yeast bomb out ofa 2 liter today, my cab has intake on very bottom and outake at top of cab, sealed light tight good neg pressure. i have some tubeing should i route the co2 up high and let it fall over my plants or just let it go to the bottom because it will get sucked up and out anyways?

P.S. i loaned out my 150 to a friend who now grows, now he is sleeping on his couch and his house is overgrown. getting it back soon tho : )

C

Cozy Amnesia

do dual 150watters still belong to this club?? :D

hells yeah! You're not the only one.

sups all, got a couple quick questions, i setup a 150 cab a lil while ago i used the panasonic wisper /scrubber that bleaunth sugested. it has worked pretty great, untill recently. its in a slightly larger cab now under a 400watt. it just isnt cutting it any more. i replaced the carbon feb 2nd with 4 lb of pelitized activated carbon from petco. any ideas on sumpthing i can do for odor without making a whole new and bigger scrubber? they really stink bad last say 2-3 weeks o flower.

also i made a lil co2 yeast bomb out ofa 2 liter today, my cab has intake on very bottom and outake at top of cab, sealed light tight good neg pressure. i have some tubeing should i route the co2 up high and let it fall over my plants or just let it go to the bottom because it will get sucked up and out anyways?

P.S. i loaned out my 150 to a friend who now grows, now he is sleeping on his couch and his house is overgrown. getting it back soon tho : )

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11927 - vapertek
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36061 - ghetto but works

I

itsjustaride

ya i thought about the vaportek, ya know i recomended it to a friend with a stank problom. he ordered from hidhut, its like 175$ but he didnt order disks and it doesnt come with them. its acually a really cheep looking box when i recomended it to him i thought he'd read about it instead he said he just bought one. he's got disks comming so i'll get to see or smell if it works. i was thinking about just getting some disks at 2$ a peice and placing them neer my outake fans or on top of my carbon scrubber bed.

My humidity is high, always above 60% i notice the odor more after a good watering. how high is to high for humidity again with a carbon scrubber?

catman

Veteran
itsjustaride - The carbon loses odor fighting power with higher humidity. Bulenath lives in Hawaii and I think his RH was higher than 60% and it still worked for him. He just said to add more carbon.

What CFM is your Whisper and how many cubic feet of space is your grow area? You say you have good negative pressure, but I thought we should confirm it.

I'm using Premium carbon from petco and I don't have any odor issues yet, but they are only at the start of week 2. Still, when I open the cab I can smell a bit of skunk from bubble gum.

Is your filter tray sealed perfectly to the fan?

C

Cozy Amnesia

Here's a link to one for $40 http://www.scmdistributors.com/vaportekprices1.htm

But that site doesn't inspire me to purchase from them at all. I see no info or specs or whats included, except for "12 PACK VELCO TAPE INSTALLED" which makes me wonder if that's a typo or what...and then the discs you're talking about are another $35.

A worthy google search should pull up something a little more helpful though.

jalajaslet

So tell me guys? Did I make a mistake when got these 150w HPS bulbs the other day? I was honestly going to sell them and use the money to upgrade my flowering room, however I am now starting to think I will have to just bite the bullet and go buy an outside HPS security light and setting it up in the flowering room...What do you all think. Someone told me I messed up when i got the bulbs cause they have a medium socket and not the mogal socket...True?

I

itsjustaride

i have my own homemade version of this coolcab http://sunlightsheds.com/cool-cab.htm

mine is 36x18x72as well. i acually already had a sandusky office cab already, only real reason i chose it. its in my bedroom, its light tight, i run the 400 in a cooltube with its own sealed off intake/outake. just passes through the box. I have the 80cfm panasonic wisper, its identical to the one in the DIY on here. i am pretty sure its sealed good, it works it has worked i'm not doubting it because i've ran it forat least half a year already. i have 10 plants in 2 gal grow bags stuffed into this rather small narrow office cabinet. let me tell you, this thing is stealth, i have got it how i need it, ya know.

i was acually gonna just go overkilland geta can 33 and the 6 inch vortex. lower cfm one, but i know it wont be as quiet as my current config. its just the damn odor. hell its in my bedroom i smoke 5 feet away from it anyways, but that raw cannibus smell, i mean my friends dont even know i grow. i'm in this for long term. i dont need to explain to anyone in here why but i need to keep this secret so i can keep doing it forever : )

i am a 150 user. i changed my nickname but yall helped me set up my first sucessfull grow so thanks for that. not bragin about my wattage, just trying to keep up with my smoke, i went through a quarter since sunday. so far i'm out smoking the 400 and i was really outsmoking my 150. i just dont have my skills honed in yet.

C

Cozy Amnesia

So tell me guys? Did I make a mistake when got these 150w HPS bulbs the other day? I was honestly going to sell them and use the money to upgrade my flowering room, however I am now starting to think I will have to just bite the bullet and go buy an outside HPS security light and setting it up in the flowering room...What do you all think. Someone told me I messed up when i got the bulbs cause they have a medium socket and not the mogal socket...True?

It doesn't matter what size the socket or bulb is, so long as the bulb can screw into the socket! :YaRight:
:yeahthats

i have my own homemade version of this coolcab http://sunlightsheds.com/cool-cab.htm

mine is 36x18x72as well. i acually already had a sandusky office cab already, only real reason i chose it. its in my bedroom, its light tight, i run the 400 in a cooltube with its own sealed off intake/outake. just passes through the box. I have the 80cfm panasonic wisper, its identical to the one in the DIY on here. i am pretty sure its sealed good, it works it has worked i'm not doubting it because i've ran it forat least half a year already. i have 10 plants in 2 gal grow bags stuffed into this rather small narrow office cabinet. let me tell you, this thing is stealth, i have got it how i need it, ya know.

i was acually gonna just go overkilland geta can 33 and the 6 inch vortex. lower cfm one, but i know it wont be as quiet as my current config. its just the damn odor. hell its in my bedroom i smoke 5 feet away from it anyways, but that raw cannibus smell, i mean my friends dont even know i grow. i'm in this for long term. i dont need to explain to anyone in here why but i need to keep this secret so i can keep doing it forever : )

i am a 150 user. i changed my nickname but yall helped me set up my first sucessfull grow so thanks for that. not bragin about my wattage, just trying to keep up with my smoke, i went through a quarter since sunday. so far i'm out smoking the 400 and i was really outsmoking my 150. i just dont have my skills honed in yet.

Yeah but do you have the Super High Output Ozone Generater, the MoonDust All-In-One Plant Nutrient & Additive, or the Instruction Video CD?
:laughing:

I

itsjustaride

lol no. i aint no sucker even when i was new i wasnt that stupid as to buy a crappy coolcab. i'd brag about my nice hydrofarm parts but my lumatek is made in china. still better than whatever there pawning i'm sure

i just lost a long post, i'll be back later.

really tho is a can 33 and vortex 6" overkill and to loud.

catman

Veteran
I use the 80CFM whisper as well, but I have 3 times as man as air exchanges as you.

You have 3 air changes per minute while I have 9.

Most people say the general rule of thumb needed is 5 per minute, but your obviously not having problems with the plants.

How many inches of carbon do you have in the tray? When you say it's pelleted.. how big are the pellets? The carbon I use is very fine.

I

itsjustaride

its like 2 - 2.5 inches deep of carbon. how do i figure out how many exchanges i have. and could iget more with more intakes? i use four 2" 90 bend pvc pipes at the floor level. so 8" intake 4" outake

in order for me to add carbon i'd have to redo the wood box frame, but i havent seen anyone with a deeper carbon bed, so i'm not sure the fan will suck through to much more or what probloms i will have.

out of my 10 ladies, only 2 are late flower 9.5 weeks. 4 are day 30 flowwer 4 more day 7 flower, staggered. also have 2 clones i rooted and directly through in 12/12 but there small i'll get 8 grams dry of them.

i use petco brand carbon, its just like 3mm pellits, i have used the premium carbon the finer grains, i read the pelllits absorbe more and last longer. i have used both and am familiar with it from aquarium use. i bet i just need more carbon, i'm going to try to add anather bottle, its 28 oz for 10 bucks. almost 2 lb

thanks for the help!

catman

Veteran
You can only get more exchanges by making your space smaller or getting a higher CFM fan.
I'm not sure if this related to your odor problem. I don't know how it would be possible for too little of air flow to affect the odor killing ability. I'm actually pretty sure that the problem is moving air through the carbon too fast.

Careful with the math. Your outtake is not 4''... It is a circle.. It has a surface area of roughly ~12 square inches. The same goes for intakes. A 2'' PVC will have a surface area of ~3.14 square inches. So you see you actually have the same amount of surface area for both intake and outtake, but the intake goes through the bends and the air flow is reduced. You have the opposite of negative pressure. Your intake needs to be bigger for negative pressure. I'm using 6 2'' 90-to-90 elbows.

2-2.5 inches of carbon should be plenty fine according to Bulenath. I'm not sure if they fan will have troubles with it or not, but I'd imagine it would be pushing it. I don't know why bigger pellets should work better because the finer grain offers more overall surface area. I buy it from petco as well for $10 for 900mL of the premium. I have two bottles in my scrubber at the moment. I'm not very long into flower so I can't say for sure that mine works.

Keep us posted with what you experiment with and lets find something that works!

I

itsjustaride

aww hold up, i'm baked. and confused. my four 2" intakes are acually 8 90 bends 2 per intake i could easily add 2 more but to double the intake i would need 4 more? i'm missing sumpthing

for not negetave pressure the 4 intakes i do have sure do suck air in. although now i remember reading a thread by quazi about adding intakes and getting cooler. my cab runs about 2 degres above room temp i always thought i was set on intake, thanks for making me think.

i'm no expert on the carbon, maybe someone elce can tell us if pellits our the finer grains are better, if anything i would think its just maybe they last longer, or maybe you get more weight for your money. i really dont remember but i have researched it before.

and todays experaments were 2 2 liter bottles of yeast and sugar to make some natural co2 booster. cost less than 5 bucks, dunno if it works yet but they do bubble out sumpthing. lots of videos on youtube of this methed used in planted aquariums.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
42896airflow1.jpg

42896airflow2.jpg

42896airflow3.jpg

Negative pressure will exist as long as the intake is passive. No matter how big or small the holes are, negative pressure will exist...only the size dictates hoiw much negative pressure the fan is creating. The smaller the intake, the more the negative pressure.
See, the fan has to work harder to get to the CFM it's trying to...and if the air is not enough volume (intake too small) then the pressure (or think of it as vacuum) will increase. Put your hand over the end of a running vacuum cleaner. It is the exact same principle. When you close it off...the RPM of the motor picks up and the suction (neg pressure) increases.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

hoosierdaddy - I couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly correct and a clear explaination too.

:rasta:

AdamH420

Man... my icmag posting cherry has finally been popped.
Long time lurker, all that good stuff... finally decided to post.
I'm in the middle of a seed run currently in a 150w'ish cab. Currently under cfl, though there is a sun system 150 waiting to go in... arrived last week.
Garden was switched to 12/12 on friday the 13th, one male established.
Here's some eye candy, I'm tired of typing... lol

Here's a female Early Wonder Skunk... Lanky bitches, god damn they stink.

bf009.jpg

Here's the male Bubblefunk , with another BF, EWS, and BF behind it.
bf011.jpg

I do have a question for the 150 club... has anyone else noticed that the sun 150 is louder than a 1kw ballast? What gives?
I'll be doing another reflective insulation wrap of the whole inside, so there will be 2 layers... should make it somewhat quiet when it's shut... but what the hell sun, thing is loud enough to put a dB rating on the side... lol

Other system specs... coco coir, fed out with bio bizz... currently upgrading exaust to a 4" fantech mated with an odorsok.

Oh, here's one of the last go around... 123w of cfl... eat that :)
bud-2.jpg

plant1.jpg

(sorry for the date stamping, I constantly let my camera die, and never reset the thing unless my old lady gets ahold of it)
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/adamh420/plant1.jpg

Sorry to hear your ballast is noisy Adam; my ballast is almost silent ;)

Looking nice and healthy anyway. What brand coco are you using and what BioBizz nute are you using - is it coco spec? I sometimes add a bit of BioBizz fish-mix during veg along side canadianxpress coco nutes for a bit of extra N oooommmmmfff.

AdamH420

I use the cocotek bricks, mixed heavy with perlite.
Bio-Grow, Bio-Bloom, and top-max.

I supplement with epsom salts and whole milk when I feel I need a cal-mag boost.

You suppose I should be concerned with the lamp? I've never dealt with low wattage setups, and just wondered if maybe 150's are loud. I noticed someone earlier in the thread saying the same thing about the sun system.

Latest posts

Latest posts