What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

sugabear_II

Veteran
Pipedream said:
While my health has taken a slight turn for the worse, which is preventing me from growing for the time being, I do enjoy following everyone's progress. I'm hoping that after surgery this summer and a bit of recoup time I'll get the OK to get back to physical activity. (which means growing to me) In the mean time I'm forced to live vicariously through you fine folks, and I'm glad that I had the fore-sight to store up a large stock of meds.

sorry to hear your health is not doing well. My dad just went through multiple back surgeries to correct ruptured discs and arthritic bone spurs. Best advice I can give you is don't underestimate how long it will take you to recover. My dad did this and that's why he had to have another surgery to remove scarring. He felt so good after the surgery that he went back to work and everything but was hurtin in a few weeks. One thing to take serious is not driving, you can walk but don't try to drive anywhere until the docs say it's ok. anyways so glad you have a stock of meds, and I wish you a fast recovery, let me know if there is anything you need my friend.

Chaotic entity - very nice for the 100 watter!

Pipedream, sorry to read you're ailing...hope you're up and "active" again really soon.

As far as the grow is concerned, for week six of flower, I want a do-over.

It started with one pump being clogged, causing me to lose many fan leaves (no oxygen), and ended with my 8 inch Hurricane coming unplugged during lights out and me not getting home until 3 hours of all four lights on. My beautiful buds are crispy at the top and look all dried out...FUCK!

I've cut my beautiful buds @ 5-6 inches each, and luckily it's not so dried out that I can't still smoke it. Two weeks early, but very good. I also cut the tall plant down @ 50 %. It seems as though the halfway point is where the deviding line for life and death was, after less than three hours of no fan. The other 2700 hours of this grow didn't matter, just these fucking three. I'll still get @ 6 zips (enough for the summer), but easily I lost 50% of yield, and I bet a whole lot of potential quality that'll go unrealized as well, until next run.

sugabear_II

Veteran
A few harvest pictures...

A few harvest pictures...

Things have dried and I'm putting the buds into the jars. Harvest I am guessing is around 2.5 oz. - I don't have a scale so I don't know for sure. The buds are super dense and super crystally with a strong hashy smell :)

G

suga those look really hazy! they've been in good hands, obviously.

vern, i'm sorry to hear that things didn't play out for you man, if there's anything i can do................
i might give the v-scrog a shot next run if i can do it on the cheap!
i was thinking a single 150, 10 gal dwc, 4 ladies in 3" netpots, i will choose 1 strain for uniformity reasons. i'm excited to try another dwc run because i had so many problems and questions. i feel like the next run will be a monster!

as for my ongoing projects....
im forced to harvest early due to a upcoming home inspection. i already cut all the lemon and berryhaze, which leaves the humboldt and the shishkaberry. bagseed like a muthafucka! to date i've cut about 5oz off, and i think there's probably 5 left. we'll see after everything's dry, i'll post some pics for you guys later this evening.

Not meaning to speak for Suga, but I think he prolly got this info directly from Google's cache. This is prolly what the person in your link did, either that or they just had it stored to disk. Great link, BTW!

In memory of OG, K+ for you!

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
Vanillagrower and vern,

I pulled it off the google cache, but that's a great link to the old ones.

You can download several sites by simply making them a favorite and then clicking the make available offline option. Go into the options on syncing up and indicate you want to sync several links deep ( I think up to three is possible) then sync. This will take a few minutes but in the end you'll have the whole thing available when you're offline on your pc. You'll be able to click on links and go down several levels.

I doubt it would take more than a few megs to store the entire OG growfaq not several disks (floppy?!? harddisk?!? CD/DVD?!? flash?!?) i could probably put the whole thing on my smartphone... hmmm that's not a bad idea...

Another option is to download the whole thing and make a database. There is software that will do that but I don't really know much else.

But do you really want the former OG growfaq on your harddrive when the po-po comes a knocking? Legally it's as incriminating as a grow book in that it shows you were an active grower and this was not "your first time just messing around".

stonerpanda

:badday:

I woke up this morning and grabbed the bottle of neem oil I bought yesterday. Today was to be the day I wasted those little spider mite fucks... but when I pulled my plants out, I noticed the spiders didn't really matter because under all those really beautiful, dense budsites were balls. *cries* I gave one the chop because they were everywhere, there was no possibility I could pick them off for the next 6 weeks. I found a few on a second one, so I'm sure in a few days that will be covered in them and need a chopping too. That will leave me with 1 plant.

I am so bummed out. This was my first hydro grow, and I was absolutely blown away by the results until this point.

Is hermaphroditing someting that's carried along genetically? I can't think of anything else that might have caused this.

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey y'all

stonerpanda,

hermie can happen due to several reasons;

1. Genetics - some plants are born hermie due to genetics, and others are hermie-prone due to genetics (some like c99 are known for never hermieing... but then again that was the breeder who said that and I have yet to hear a commercial breeder say their strain hermies easily)

2. Light stress - light leaks during the dark period will cause hermies on almost any female plant, especially ones genetically prone to hermie

3. PH stress - especially in hydro this can cause hermies to appear. generally the plant would also show signs of nutrient lock-out sickness too

4. Chemical/nutrient stress - certian additives/nutrient formulas are known to cause hermies, specifically I have heard nitrozyme aka nitrozime contains gilberic acid which causes hermies. This is different than sex reversal caused by coliadal silver or STS treatment.

5. Other stresses - people say physical stresses like scrog, LST, and especially supercropping may induce plants that are hermie prone to go hermie

So there you go the many reasons for a hermie.

Is this a clone of a strain you have grown in soil without problem?
If yes I'd look at 3 or 4.

Is this, other than the hydro, a new grow setup (i.e. new room/cabinet, new light, new timer, new fan, etc.)?
then I'd check for light leaks and other stresses

Otherwise it sounds to me like it's genetic, as it occurred all at once, and you don't mention any other sickness on the plant.

sorry to hear about your sexually confused plants.

Some hermies are ok and only occur briefly around week 5 or at very end of the cycle producing very little pollen and generally very few seeds (mature and immature). Often times a strain that exhibits this type of hermie is ok to continue to grow as it's not a big deal. I have a strain, oregon90, that is like that, I get 5 seeds per oz and the rest is damn good sensi so I keep her around.

Well good luck and hope you figure it out or have some other clones ready to go.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Hey all. Been away on business this week, but I see I didn't miss much here as posting has slowed down for while. I know it's a bit late to post this for your current situation, however, in the future you may want to consider growing out a hermie crop. If you don't mind the seeds, they often produce OK to decent smoking buds. Of course if I had multiple girls growing and only one went hermie, I'd rip it right out before it had a chance to "get lucky" with the others.

G

Wasabi everyone?! How goes it, 150 clubbers? I'm enjoying my harvest and setting up for the next round. Making a lot of configuration changes here, keeping busy.

Let's get this thread hoppin again, where you at?!

stonerpanda

sugabear_II said:
hey y'all

stonerpanda,

hermie can happen due to several reasons;

1. Genetics - some plants are born hermie due to genetics, and others are hermie-prone due to genetics (some like c99 are known for never hermieing... but then again that was the breeder who said that and I have yet to hear a commercial breeder say their strain hermies easily)

2. Light stress - light leaks during the dark period will cause hermies on almost any female plant, especially ones genetically prone to hermie

3. PH stress - especially in hydro this can cause hermies to appear. generally the plant would also show signs of nutrient lock-out sickness too

4. Chemical/nutrient stress - certian additives/nutrient formulas are known to cause hermies, specifically I have heard nitrozyme aka nitrozime contains gilberic acid which causes hermies. This is different than sex reversal caused by coliadal silver or STS treatment.

5. Other stresses - people say physical stresses like scrog, LST, and especially supercropping may induce plants that are hermie prone to go hermie

So there you go the many reasons for a hermie.

Is this a clone of a strain you have grown in soil without problem?
If yes I'd look at 3 or 4.

Is this, other than the hydro, a new grow setup (i.e. new room/cabinet, new light, new timer, new fan, etc.)?
then I'd check for light leaks and other stresses

Otherwise it sounds to me like it's genetic, as it occurred all at once, and you don't mention any other sickness on the plant.

sorry to hear about your sexually confused plants.

Some hermies are ok and only occur briefly around week 5 or at very end of the cycle producing very little pollen and generally very few seeds (mature and immature). Often times a strain that exhibits this type of hermie is ok to continue to grow as it's not a big deal. I have a strain, oregon90, that is like that, I get 5 seeds per oz and the rest is damn good sensi so I keep her around.

Well good luck and hope you figure it out or have some other clones ready to go.

Wow, thanks for all the info! This is my first hydro grow, so its more than likely it was something I did. Oh well, I needed the extra room anyways :D

G

ive been busy..... :joint: i set all this up today, these ladies went through a lot, transplanting into a new mix, then training them through the screen.

i'm trying to keep it as short and thick as possible. things should get lovely so long as these roots like this mix :chin:

7 plants, 7 strains, all bagseed baby, you know my style!

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey guys good to see some activity!

Hi pipedream good to see you about. I second your statement on hermie's, if it's not too bad sometimes a hermie will be very vigorous and produce excellent smoke none-the-less.

I've been thinking of expanding my little grow cabinet. It looks as though life may be changing a bit in 07 and I won't be able to fire up the cabinet for a while so I am considering a bigger grow to tide me over. I was looking at the c25 cabinet which is the replacement for the c13. It is 20" deep and 29" wide with a full wardrobe height of 6' or so. I checked and the cabinet will just fit a total of six 2 gallon dwc buckets. I'm thinking of having a six plant grow with two 150's hanging vertically in between the plants. something like this where O represents a bucket and the x represents a lamp (the '_'s are just there to show the spacing)

O_O_O
_X_X
O_O_O

I'm interested to hear everyones thoughts.

Specifically I am wondering if I can use my existing 134 CFM dayton blower combined with the carbon can to exhaust this larger space with more light.

I'm also wondering what people think about yield - do you think I could 8 oz in this setup ? or is 5~6 more reasonable?

anyways thoughts are appreciated as always.

I was even considering having a tub underneath the buckets and do some kind of krustie bucket setup.... for those that don't know a kbs system works like this.

you have a bucket filled with hydroton which has several large holes in the bottom allowing roots to grow out of it (or a large net pot). This bucket is top fid with a drip system nearly continuesly with the lights on. This bucket also fits into another bucket such that a several inch air gap between the bottom of the hole filled and hydroton filled bucket and the bottom of the inside of the second bucket exists. The second outer bucket has a drain 1 inch from the bottom allowing only one inch of water to sit in the bottom bucket. A soaker hose or a bunch of airstones in the bottom of the outer bucket create a spray/mist in the air gap between the buckets. The drain from the outer bucket flows into the res below where a pump feeds the nutrients back up to the drippers and into the hydroton.

The results for this type of a system were phenominal - beyond growth rates seen in straight dwc.

This was used mainly to grow large multi-pound yielding trees but I think it could also really boost the yield fo a smaller setup like mine.

suga

Last edited:

Trev

this thread amazes me i look at it for hours on end. haha. im using a 70 watt HPS right now. but by this fall i will have a 150 and will be using the 70 as supplimental lighting along with a 100mh should be an interesting grow. keep up the good work guys.