What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

T

TheOneWill

But I'm trying to have it stealthy, I got 2 9000rpm cpu fans I don't know what the CFM is. But the only thing is my closet gets hot when it is not cool like winter time. I would have to go with a 150 watt cool tubed.

sugabear_II

Veteran
TheOneWill said:
But I'm trying to have it stealthy, I got 2 9000rpm cpu fans I don't know what the CFM is. But the only thing is my closet gets hot when it is not cool like winter time. I would have to go with a 150 watt cool tubed.

actually you need to figure out a way to vent your closet, from what I am hearing. a cabinet inside a closet will heat the closet up over a 12 hour light on cycle and the abient air will be hot.

Otherwise it is worth mentioning IMO even a 250 watt hps will be cooler than your current 252 of cfl as you can put the ballast outside of the closet.

A 150 though will be much easier to cool yet

check out red-greeneries 150 cabinet for a very stealth setup using computer fans

-suga

T

TheOneWill

I already have a cabinet it's just when I'm done with it in a few weeks I'm gonna make it better. Adding better lighting and more stealth. Heres the link to what it looks like now.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70007
The front of it looks like a dresser. But I can't keep turning the dresser around to access it from the back. So I'm gonna take the drawers off. And putting 2 doors, then I'm taking off the flimsy cardboard crap and putting plywood.

BRNEYDBVR

TheOneWill -

Listen to the man.... He knows what he's talking about!

I didn't realize that you had the cab in a closet...

Gonna have to work that out.

green_grow

Veteran
a few people had questions about my satori, so i will do my best to answer them ...

plant was started from seed (i took cuttings from it so i will be able to grow it again in the future).

it was vegged for about 3 1/2 months . i didn't intend to veg it that long, it just worked out that way.

height from top of soil to top of plant = 22" . it was probably about 16" tall when i switched to 12/12, but i should mention that for some reason i never get any serious stretch from any of my grows, so don't count on almost zero stretch from your own satoris, should you decide to grow them.

immediately before taking that pic i snapped off some of the larger, more brittle leaves, so the plant was actually somewhat bushier than in the pic. even so, this plant was inclined to grow UP rather than OUT.

thanks for all your kind remarks, but all the credit has to go to the plant itself. i am sure that in the hands of a more experienced grower this would have been a VERY impressive plant indeed .

p.s. : the other (female) plant in the cabinet was pretty badly infested with aphids and i wound up destroying it. this plant had very few aphids, but i am wondering if they might have been the cause of the brittle leaves.

DiscoDuck

TheOneWill, nice cabinet and grow, some of the frostiest bud I've seen lately. You can find those sticky strips for mites in the insecticide aisle.

green_grow, I get a cousin to the aphid, (lace bug I think it's called) that chews on my roses and azaleas. The only thing I know of that gets rid of them is Isotox (pure nicotine) and it's some pretty nasty stuff. Since this is herb, you might try Einstein oil. At least in my experience, these critters attack old growth leaves, and yes the leaves are left brittle and eventually die.

T

TheOneWill

Yeah I got me 2 of them I started noticing that the little buggers were dieing off. :)

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
bored snapping pictures

bored snapping pictures

suga showed his distance, heres mine experimentting with vertical hanging al a northern farmers stadium grow thread, practically sits on 2 of them, no burn or heat issues

a mouthwatering macro of some SOL sweet tooth#3

bottle rocket macro

crashers waiting in line to join the 150w party i got going on, seems like theyre starting to get impatient.

slashas

phr3d0m2gr0 thanks, I'm planning my cabinet right about now, soon pictures will come :rasta:

DiscoDuck thanks a bunch, well I found a cabinet that will suit my needs pretty well, here's a ugly drawing I made in paint shop pro :smile:

15561cabinet.jpg

Left section is floweringroom with 150w hps and an carbonfilter, hooked to an 190cfm inlinefan located in the electric-section together with the ballast. I also going to place a computer-fan that blows on the hps-bulb towards the carbonfilter and an oscilating(spelling?) fan placed below carbonfilter. I think I'm going for 3-4 femaleplants which will be vegged for quite some time, LST or ScROG will be applied. I also think I'm going to have a tray that can be adjusted up and down (with the pots) so I don't need to adjust the lamp and mess up my airmovement.

Right section is the vegetative-room with CFL lightning and enough space for an bonsai-mother, 1-2 vegging plants and my tiny clonebubbler system. This section is ventilated with computerfans and so is the electric-section.

The 4 squares is the passive intakes, 3 in the flowering room and 1 in the vegetative room.

What do you guys think? Any aspects I haven't thought of yet?

ReeferDan and abirdintheair
nice looking nugs there :wave:

BRNEYDBVR
Hey.. how big is that cabinet you got there?

peace :smoker:

Last edited:

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
nice slashas, you did alot better design than i would have with paint shop pro :wave: and if you can use LST all the time, its a very under estimated way to pick up yields. good luck constructing.

Poker_Toker

Hey guys i was going to go with a 400 cmh, but i ended up with a 175w MH because i couldnt find a 400 ballast kit for under 120 shipped not even including the 55 dollar bulb. I found a ballast and bulb for 20 on ebay plus 25 shipping. I am planning on a just under 4 square feet cab, ive got a vortex 6" 449cfm and speed control coming. Just wondering how many oz i could pull in this space under a 175 in this space?
My goal is to start small, get a feel of everything, then find a 400 and use it in the same space for insane buds.
Basically i will have 2 bagseed reveg's, one bagseed in light flower i will do im my cfl cab, and i will start 9 speed queens and hope for 6 females in my other cabunder the 175.

I will be using 3 gallon grow bags from the start, veg for 1 week 20/4, 1 week 18-6, then 12/12. I am thinking of attaching a scrog screen or even a v scrog to get really close to the bulb. I think the vortex will take care of anything, i also got a 6" odorsok.
anyone doing a v scrog? i found a pretty nice one a while back

T

TheOneWill

Do you think 2 120mm 9000rpm computer fans (one intake & one exhaust) with cool tubed 250watt hps with remote ballast outside of the cabinet would be fine?

DiscoDuck

Poker_Toker,

Just wondering how many oz i could pull in this space under a 175 in this space?

When you get things dialed in, you can approach as much as 1 gram per watt. With HID lighting, MH is usually used for vegging because it keeps internodal length short. HPS is typically used for flowering.

If you're only gonna veg for a week, you probably don't need three gallons of soil for each plant.

DiscoDuck

TheOneWill, it just depends on how many (if any) obstructions are in the path that air will circulate through your cabinet. If you have things like ducting, scrubbers, etc., the air flow will decrease.

Lots of cabinet growers set up their boxes with passive intakes. An exhaust fan will pull air into your cabinet with the proper amount and size of intake. As warm air is exhausted, intake air automatically replaces the otherwise negative pressure environment.

Since you've decided to use a cool tube and you already have two fans, you could have a dedicated light cooler and a dedicated cabinet exhaust in one setup. Just my 2 cents.

T

TheOneWill

DiscoDuck said:
TheOneWill, it just depends on how many (if any) obstructions are in the path that air will circulate through your cabinet. If you have things like ducting, scrubbers, etc., the air flow will decrease.

Lots of cabinet growers set up their boxes with passive intakes. An exhaust fan will pull air into your cabinet with the proper amount and size of intake. As warm air is exhausted, intake air automatically replaces the otherwise negative pressure environment.

Since you've decided to use a cool tube and you already have two fans, you could have a dedicated light cooler and a dedicated cabinet exhaust in one setup. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah thats what I plan on doing. dedicate 2 fans to the cool tube. Then have a separate exhaust and intake for the cabinet area.

BRNEYDBVR

Slashas -

The exterior measurements are: 4ft. x 3ft. x 16"deep

Actual grow space:

Flower is 28.5" x 29.5" x 14.5"
Veg. area is 13.5" x 19" x 14.5"

Poker_Toker

Disco duck its either going to be a stadium or v scrog with at least 6 plants. The box is a little less then 2 feet in length and width and like 6 feet high. 175g in one run would be my goal, has anyone pulled this off with a mh? If so what setup?

slashas

abirdintheairhehe thank you. I have to do somekind of training, I like scrog because it easily keeps the budsites in place, and i figure LST will end up with more work, but on the other hand I wouldn't mind practice :smile:

BRNEYDBVRok nice, that's kind of an achievement keeping plants that low statued in a restricted growarea. I have no earlier experience with micro-setups and the 150w hps. I used to go with 600w hps and a growtent.

Well I think I'm off to get my cabinet, got to convince my friend to help my carry it though, I'm going to convince him with a bonghit with this sweet imported amsterdam pollem haschich, at least we call it here in scandinavia :smoke: Pics will come when I start constructing.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
"rasta:

TheOneWill - Just thought I'd drop in my 2 cents on active intakes.....

Using more than one fan is fine, even if the second one is just used within the box to assist in air movement and harden off your stems. The problem arises when you use a second fan to create an active intake. There are three problems that exist with active intakes. First off and most important is that they tend to pressurize your box. If you are trying to control odor, this is the last thing you want. Once the pressure increases, the sweet smell of skunk will find its way out of every crack and crevice in your box and bypass your scrubber. The second problem is that once air moved by an active intake fan enters the box, it will experience a sudden pressure drop. When it does, any particles carried in the airstream will drop out of suspension and deposit themselves all over your leaves and buds. This includes dust, pollen, mold spores, insect larva, and other things you really don't want in your controlled enviroment. This is the principle of dust-collectors used in factories and cleanrooms. Lastly, because of the pressure drop and air resistance within your box intake fans are not nearly as efficient as an exhaust fan of the same spec's. Its much easier to suck air out then it is to push air in.

JMHO, PD

:wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts