What's new

150hps vs 150w cfl

Quazi

Those of us that have actually used a 150w HPS in such a small space will all agree. For the first time grower, it will be much less hassle and much more likely to succeed if you go with cfl's to start with.
Be careful before you speak for all of us because, personally, I think you're a bit off with this statement. There are a lot of people who have grown in small spaces with 150W HPS. Granted, they probably weren't as small as this poster is talking about, but there have been a lot that were very close.

It seems from the original poster's comments that they are aware of the necessity for cooling and have a decent plan for it so I'd say: give it a shot.

I found the 150W HPS to be an excellent and easy starting point when moving to cabinet growing and many, many others have too. Granted, this was not my first time, but it was my first in such a small space. CFLs, while easy to work with, don't present many of the real world challenges and hurdles that a grower will probably face such as working with a remote ballast.

There's a whole bunch of people who use the 150W HPS for their first time and they're very successful and have a great time.

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......
376 pages strong.

:2cents:

-Q :rasta:

Leviathan

rex i havent, id imagine they put of a little heat though but much less then and hps..try the search function, people here are useing them and ive heard some good things-

Roortokeage

I would get the HPS over the CFLS less to worry about, less mess and dramma. I have a CFL/LED mix right now and Im moving over to a 150 HPS for my DR80. So I think that will be more than enuff for what I want to do.

MrQueue

i have a question regarding cfls....

i am currently using 4 55w cfl that have 5000K (which is deep blue light)

my friend recommends getting some red lights (1500-3000k) for flowering...does anyone know where i can get these lights at? local hydro store?

Standard "Warm White" energy saver CFLs are 2700k which is fine for flowering, it's actually much tougher to find ones that aren't Warm white.

RexDark

Went to the home d'grow today and did some poking around, how long does a 150hps last? And a saw some 20w t5 flours that were 3 and 1/2 feet, anyone done some remote ballist hook ups on these, has anyone ever just made a wall of them to surround the plants on all sides( the bulbs were only 1/4 inch thick)?
Anyone know a good place to find dolomite looked at lowes and home depo and they have nothing of the sort.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Ok any soft white CFL bulbs are 2700K. Now you can flower with up to 6500K imo. You don't really start getting into the real blue side of the spectrum until you go over that. I use 14000K bulbs over my reef tank, now that is blue!

Like I said before, if you can cool the HPS, use it. I still recommend doing side lighting, because at that height, light penetration would be very minimal, and you would have one top bud and hardly no nuggets down the plant. Scrog would be possible but I highly doubt in 1 sq.ft. of space you would really get that much. For maximum yield in this amount of space I still recommend using cfls to supplement light down the sides like a Phototron. :joint:

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
15,000-25,000 hours depending on the brand/quality. works out easily 2years non stop, cfl dont even come close to that!

Yes this is true but the rule of thumb is change your HID bulbs out at least every year. For best results switch them out every 6 months. This is what I was told by my local hydro store owner, he had nothing to gain from me because I didn't buy bulbs from him. After a while the bulbs lose their intensity. When you switch an old bulb to a new one you can see the difference. :joint:

RexDark

Would there be any amount of watts like 150hps and some t5s or cfls that would be too much for that amount of space, I was considering http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=136390 the set up Ive described here. The mother plants are growing at another location, more than 30 or so that Im going to have to narrow out, but I figure it gives me genertically will produce the most sog style.

Groucho

Dude not to sound like a dick but cmon. Really? Perpetual? 30 moms to narrow down? (I'd say so) sog?multi stage? 12"x12" by 4'. That's a really really small area, I mean realistically you can put one Small plant in there with a few of the vertical floros and either a large cfl or the 150 with a good blower removing the heat and or also seperate from the rest of the box with glass. Personally I'd say to hell with that shoe box n purchase a nice 1000hps for whoever/ where ever those 30 moms are split an actual crop. :)
But.... If that's all you really have to work with it will do. Check out the micro forum and some of those guys growin 1/8s in pc cases happy as a clam. To each there own I just wouldn't expect lots out of a foot is all. Best of luck either way.

oldbootz

Veteran
some people have asked how much heat a 68w CFL emits, well i have a 85w daylight spectrum bulb that pushed 5500 lumens and its about the limit to which you can touch AND hold the bulb without burning yourself or wanting to remove your hand from it. so a 68 watt CFL should be fine with heat...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hps give out the most light per watt.

does the cab need to be so small?? cant you make it 2-3 ft square and use a 150 hps??

60-70 watts / sq ft is optimum for efficient use of light

something like 15" by 21" would be fine for a 150

V.

RexDark

Sadly It does have to be so small, its going to be a speaker tower,cd holder and the plants will be in the 1X1 area where the towers are. the speakers are very shallow and will be isolated by a metal plate to keep the plants from touching them, which is why I was thinking areas of 4x4 plants or 3x3 plants in 16oz party cups so each row would be moved up once every 10-14 days and 3 plants could be harvested for maybe about 1/4oz of bud ever 10-14 days . I was thinking cfl, but came across a deal for a 150w grow hps for 60 bucks, after cutting the hood by 3 inches its the area I need to fit it in the speaker cab. I was thinking 2 big computer fans with carbon matting from home depo on both sides of them up where the hps was to keep all the hot air moving stright out. What do ya think?

RexDark

Dude not to sound like a dick but cmon. Really? Perpetual? 30 moms to narrow down? (I'd say so) sog?multi stage? 12"x12" by 4'. That's a really really small area, I mean realistically you can put one Small plant in there with a few of the vertical floros and either a large cfl or the 150 with a good blower removing the heat and or also seperate from the rest of the box with glass. Personally I'd say to hell with that shoe box n purchase a nice 1000hps for whoever/ where ever those 30 moms are split an actual crop. :)
But.... If that's all you really have to work with it will do. Check out the micro forum and some of those guys growin 1/8s in pc cases happy as a clam. To each there own I just wouldn't expect lots out of a foot is all. Best of luck either way.
The big hps with the 30 mothers is going to another house where a 21-24sf room has been set up for growing and there will be a 400w hps doing a sog ebb and flow.
The small prepetual is for me, Im hoping for an 1/8 dry and plant and at 3 harvested every 10 days that is enough for me on the daily.
The big set up is for me and my friend so ever 2 months we'll be splitting them. The different plants are medicine man, Unknown Hawiaan which is my biggest plant and youngest, G13 labs fem Ice , Pineapple, white widdow, cail kush, Unknown Desile, white rhino, Blueberry, and some others Im forgetting but I just hit out of a nice iced bong only reg tho

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
15,000-25,000 hours depending on the brand/quality. works out easily 2years non stop, cfl dont even come close to that!
Run a cab with twin 150w lamps. Leave one in for 6 months and put a fresh one in the other socket every 2-3 months. Guess how often you're going to change your 150w? (Plants don't grow using lumens. Lumens stay strong longer than PAR does)

Edit: And for the record.... Yes, 55w PL-L lamps (quality ones), which are CFLs, can easily maintain PAR values for growing for up to 2 years. HPS doesn't even come close.

RexDark

Different taste and the medicine man yeilds something a tiny bit more than the medicine man and white rhno I've seen grown.

RexDark

So any ideas on going efficent with cfls on this to get a good yeild from 18 plants between 2 areas was thinking 10 23ws in each with side lighting of 32 w

RexDark

anyone using the cold cathode cfls and getting results,I saw som 11w cc cfls today 2 for 11 bucks , but they run at someing like 77f according to what it says on the box

J

JackTheGrower

Well I'd go with the HPS because they help the bud quality but, I've grown some hardcore Kush with shop lights.

The heat is an issue with HPS and since you need it to look like something else I'd say CFL..

That 1x1 is tough.. But I assume it's do able.. Check and see if anyone else is doing that small of a space.. I think there was a contest for a 1x1..

CFL has come a long way.. That's my mother room.. They are doing fine.

I assume you will need a cool tube for a 150 hps.. Myself if I was to sit down and make a 1x1 I'f get jiggy.. a small hps and CFL blue.

The 100 watt ballast is $22 and then two CFL lights that are cool white..
I'd make a light rack inside I can raise and lower. The thing is massive air in that small space as we do want our soil to dry out between watering mostly..

I'd scrog since canopy penetration is out.
4 feet tall? Then go with a clone/mum room in the upper foot or so..

I have not grown it but C99 has been suggested for small scrog.

White Rhino grows big fat horns late so room is all important.

If you do this consider pictures for us.. 1x1 is a challenge.

Interesting..

Latest posts

Latest posts