What's new

15,000 watts and a few questions. Suggestions?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i was looking at a dehuey in home depot, says that it removes 130 pintes of water from the air per day, is this good? do you guys think that it will cover 2 rooms, 11x11 and 22x11? i would like to lower my rh to 40% will this usit do it?

the unit is 1000$

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I think that's too much area for one dehuey, I'd advise two of those probably, or at least get one of the big ones for the big room and get a smaller one for the small room.

G

grow nerd

Keep in mind the PPD ratings on most "consumer portable" dehumidifiers such as Kenmore, LG, etc 70ppd, 65ppd, 50ppd, etc. units are at saturation, while the ratings on most "entire home" units (Santa Fe, Ebac, etc) are @ AHAM standards. For instance, the Santa Fe Classic rated at 100ppd actually has a rating of 200ppd @ saturation.

I have no idea what standards (if any) that Home Depot unit is rated at, but if it's a "whole house" unit, and likely so based on price, I would guess AHAM. But check before you buy. Like Lazyman said it's probably gonna be too small, even if it's rated @ AHAM.

What make / model is it, by the way? If it's really a comparable 130ppd @ $1k ($7.69/ppd) I'm definitely interested in getting one in place of a Santa Fe Classic (~$13.50/ppd, almost double the price/performance).

G

grow nerd

I'm not sure about "no good", in fact I'm about to try this out instead of a Santa Fe Classic next time. Looks like it's a hair more efficient than the Santa Fe Classic, although not certified by AHAM the 130ppd rating is for 24h@80F/60% (which is what AHAM uses for its certifications) and at saturation can be >250ppd. I still don't think it'll be enough for your two rooms though. Maybe start with one and go as needed.

I'm surprised this isn't Energy Star compliant... either I'm doing the math wrong, or it just hasn't been officially certified yet for one reason or another. :confused:

I'm wondering if units like this can easily be hooked up to the output of a more powerful scrubber fan (> 400cfm of the internal blower of this unit) for slightly higher performance.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i was thinking bout that too, you know like replacing the blower in the unit, but then i thaught about the size of the unit(24x25x19-width x depth x hight), so with the unit being fairly small i dont know if it would be possible to upgrade the blower. so if i were to buy this, i could hook it up to my 2 rooms like i said, but lets say it isnt enough, how much % do you think it will lower the rh by? i would really like that if at night the rh wasnt above 60-65%, day rh around 50% or less, would you think its possible?

thx for the help, im not to familiar with dehumidifiers and unit size/room size/#lights/#of plants/with the a/c....all the factors that dial in to play with the rh and the unit....its just soo confusing, i wish they would just state on the side of the box "hydroponic indoor grow room dehumidifier", lol that would be easy to look for and find the exact size i need, lol

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
the other thing i wa thinking bout is if the fan/blower would be changed, would that mean that the unit would pull less water out of the air because the air passes through it at a higher speed and it wouldnt have a chance to remove the water before exhausting the air back in the room?

im just thinking the same as if you take a 600cfm rated carbon filter and put a 800cfm fan on it then your air wont bee properly scrubbed and you prolly suck the carbon thru the filter

G

grow nerd

400cfm squirrel cage blower inside the Air Sponge.

I'd guesstimate a 100ppd Santa Fe Classic is good for about 6-8k's worth of canopy.

HankScorpio

Good looking grow. Going to be tough to prune those middle plants though! Hehe have fun with that. Anyway as far as Dehumidifiers go I use a GE 50ppd inside my 8k med grow it keeps my RH at 59% during lights on and in the high 40's during the dark period. It runs constantly and kicks out alot of heat. For a 15k grow im guessing you need a 100ppd minimum to maintain reasonable RH.

G

grow nerd

HankScorpio, a single 50ppd for an 8k? Must either be a fresh air room, or have tiny little plants w/o much foliage.

Hey Joe, what are your night time temps?

If you warm the room a bit at night your RH will drop considerably. Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air hence the drop in RELATIVE Humidity. Your AC is dehumidifing during lights on so just raise the temp at night a little bit at a time until you get to an acceptable RH.

Thaniel

Today was day 2 of destruction. I ripped out another load of small branches and buds. It would appear that this would be extremely difficult to accomplish, but I spend a lot of time on my hands and knees. I really have to just get in there, get after it, you know? I get all up in between them. When I'm crawling around on the inside, it feels like I'm in a jungle. Which isn't too far from the truth. So, I come up from under that shit, and just get after it, you get the idea?

Attachments

• IMG_3817.JPG
    IMG_3817.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 11

Thaniel

Since I've added those dehumidifiers, my humidity is in check. It was 49 just now as I left the room, and during the night maybe it is a tad higher. I'm going to pick up a Santa Fe, but until then I'll be running 2 regular dehumidifiers, as well as periodically bringing fresh air into the room.

So I mentioned that now is the time that I usually begin to have problems. I can already see it coming. A few of the plants appear to be getting slightly yellow. It is greener near the bud, and a bit yellow out on the leaves. I would say that it seems like a nitrogen deficiency, but in the past when I have then upped the N, it gets worse.

My EC is about 1.5, and PH between 5.8 and 6.2. I have been having to add 20-25 gallons daily. Each time I mix I use about 2.5mL/gal cal mag, plus 15mL/gal of pure blend pro bloom hydro formula. About once a week I drain the system, add fresh PHed water, and run for 24 hours. I then drain again, and refill with water with nutrient mix. Maybe something has built up a bit, it's been 9 days since my last flush. I'm going to drain and flush tomorrow.

Ideas?

Thaniel

Plants starting to yellow a bit, it seems...

Plants starting to yellow a bit, it seems...

I can try to take photos, but I really don't think my concern will be able to be seen.... I'll be back in 10 min with pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3812.JPG
    IMG_3812.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 12

Thaniel

The first picture in the previous post might be the most telling. It might even appear worse in that photo than it really is. But I had this same issue last time. A few more photos here, but these probably won't be of much use...

Thanks again for all of the replies, and support!! I really appreciate it!

Thaniel

Attachments

• IMG_3813.JPG
    IMG_3813.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3815.JPG
    IMG_3815.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 14

HankScorpio

HankScorpio, a single 50ppd for an 8k? Must either be a fresh air room, or have tiny little plants w/o much foliage.

Actually neither fairly well sealed room running co2 generator. I do live in a dry climate and I evac all air in the room every 2hours.

I can post pics later if you need proof

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
Hey Joe, what are your night time temps?

If you warm the room a bit at night your RH will drop considerably. Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air hence the drop in RELATIVE Humidity. Your AC is dehumidifing during lights on so just raise the temp at night a little bit at a time until you get to an acceptable RH.

day: temp 26C rh 60-70%(depending if i just watered or not)

night: temp 26C rh 85%++

my room is completly sealed, no intake and no exaust, im running co2 @ 4 bottles a week, so i gotta refill every week, if i had intakes and exhaust i would be filling my co2 much more often which isnt somthing i want.

thats why i was lookin into a better option.

must say so far i like the thread, very productive imo