What's new

126w Hydro-Grow LED vs 250w HID, the definitive test

Frozenguy

Veteran
I'm no expert but I believe this is our smoke report. From what I can discern the final score was (herb 1 : frozenguy 0)
Hahaha thats funny. My keyboard had died and I haven't been able to replace it until now.

looks like that was typed from a cell
and hes sayind his keyboard is dead/broke
i dont know could be wrong

hey frozenguy was that tray you weighed with tare'd cuz thats alot more than it looks like but i hope im wrong
Yeah you pretty much got it right, except I copied/pasted all those letters into place.

And yeah, that is all bud. The tray actually weighs about 92 grams, definitely tare it every time.

If there is a better side by side comparison grow isolating ANY variable on icmag, someone please post a link!

Outstanding.

-dTv :tumbleweed:
Thank you! I tried my hardest to eliminate any variables and expose the plants to the same thing except for the light. Even when I watered, I would do an LED plant and a HID plant with 1 trip/watercan so if for some reason that can was contaminated, both sides got it.

twrex

Hahaha thats funny. My keyboard had died and I haven't been able to replace it until now.

Yeah you pretty much got it right, except I copied/pasted all those letters into place.

For future reference, if you're on windows: start>accessories>accessibility>on-screen keyboard

Hahaha Thank you! I tried my hardest to eliminate any variables and expose the plants to the same thing except for the light. Even when I watered, I would do an LED plant and a HID plant with 1 trip/watercan so if for some reason that can was contaminated, both sides got it.

Hooray for science!

Frozenguy

Veteran
Smoke Report

Hey ICMag :wave:

Thanks for checking out my test! I hope it serves many people well. I'll jump right in :jump:

I chose the best bud from each of the two sources. I cant tell which is which, so I had to keep the buds separate. The density is indistinguishable between the two, (with my pinch test).

They look as frosty as each other, although I'm sure that observations can be made to support either side.

Method of delivery-
For this smoke report, I rolled a simple joint for both, using hemp paper. I weighed out 0.3g of each to put in the joint :smokeit:

HID-

Skunky, lemony earth goodness with a bit of an addicting light sour aftertaste that lingers for only a moment. The smoke enters smooth but bold, and makes its presence known in your lungs. Exhale is even smoother and the smoke is thick. In a still room, you only need a few minutes of the lit joint to see "clouds". I felt that warm feeling by the time I was exhaling my first toke. I was feeling pretty hazy after my third puff and still had 1/2 of the joint to go. The last taste of the joint, covered in resin, was heavy, hot and slightly spicy. I loved it. She never fails me. Went on to finish up my homework and expectantly found myself focused, motivated and able to sit down for a couple hours to tend to my studies.

LED-

Extremely smooth smoke, lemony and skunky like the bud from the HID but has the sour aftertaste all throughout, like a mild undertone. No aftertaste on this one. The exhale is just like the toke, but the smoke seems a bit lighter then the HID bud. I got fuzzy/warm after the first toke, and I was feeling that haze come over me after a couple more tokes. I felt a little less focused directly on my homework, but more so on my current projects. I can't imagine this is a result of the LED, but of my state of mind during that time. Cannabis generally helps me feel not so overwhelmed so I can take care of what I need to. And this stuff was strong enough to do that, which is what I need.

I'm really impressed to say the least. I've only done one run with this unit, and I think I can pull a tad more out of it. After a few more runs, and some testing, I completely see myself using LED's and probably replacing a lot of my equipment with them. They run cooler, cheaper to operate in several ways, efficient, and they produce medical quality cannabis, comparable to my HID unit in flavor, high, and came really close to the same yield with somewhere around 40% of the power.

I'm very impressed. I'm not sure if its the lens or the type of LEDs or what, but this unit surpassed my expectations. I was expecting slightly less dense buds at best. I never thought it would essentially match the denseness, at least to a point where I cant make a firm decision.

Good job Hydro-Grow!

Frozenguy :joint:

I want some. :)

Congrats on the tasty nuggets sir, and mad props on those trichomes. Lookin very frosty.

I will definately be taggin along for the next one.

Frozenguy

Veteran
For future reference, if you're on windows: start>accessories>accessibility>on-screen keyboard
Haha awesome, thanks!

I want some. :)

Congrats on the tasty nuggets sir, and mad props on those trichomes. Lookin very frosty.

I will definately be taggin along for the next one.
Thanks! They are very tasty and I find myself just switching between the two because I dont really crave either one. I'm more used to the taste from the HID, but I like the taste from the LED and it isn't even that much different.

Great grow, those are some tasty lookin buds.
Very tasty, thanks for the kind words. I wish I could smoke you all out with the results :smoke out:

Good job on the grow and great in depth report.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm glad so many people have enjoyed it/gotten use from it.

thank you for your efforts.
NP, thanks for coming by! I hope it helps.

thanks for the great test!
Hey np! Anything for fellow ICmagers. Glad you enjoyed it.

Frozenguy :smokeit:

Frozenguy

Veteran
any way i could get you to take a pic of a one gram nug? your weed must be harder than rocks

Yeah most of it is lol. I dont always like it when its rock hard, because of the way I find it smokes, but its just how it grew when I tried to max the yield. It will have to be like tomorrow. I dont have my camera with me right now.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
ive just looked at all the pictures from this thread and well its definately not the definitive test.
poor strain, no where near enough veging, mh instead of hps or cmh.
grow and veg your plants properly so that sideshoots are given a chance to turn into colas and not nugs and then show the results, im not impressed by a half assed attempt that doesnt show what led or hid are really capable of. those led's seemed to be on par with that mh, so a proper attempt should be very impressive...

Frozenguy

Veteran
ive just looked at all the pictures from this thread and well its definately not the definitive test.
grow and veg your plants properly so that sideshoots are given a chance to turn into colas and not nugs and then show the results, im not impressed by a half assed attempt that doesnt show what led or hid are really capable of. those led's seemed to be on par with that mh, so a proper attempt should be very impressive...

Whats with all the hating?

You've never even grown my cut before and you think you know how to pull the most out of it? You think all strains grow huge long colas? That shows you've grown a small number of strains, and probably not that many individual plants.

I grow for taste, smoke, and chemical properties. Pulling over 0.5g/w is fine by me if its really good quality. I found this strain responded better flowering under a MH. I bet you've never even fully flowered under a MH, and if you did, I bet you used a vegging MH. Dont read so much, get more hands on and do experiments yourself. You'll find more tricks of the trade that way IMO.

Titling it definitive was fun but far reaching. At the time I didn't think anyone would take it toooo seriously. Everyone knows there are plenty of growing configurations, and theres always a few to complain about something being different then how they'd do it.

Point is I've worked this strain for some time now, and this is what the genetics offer me. Thats another thing you dont know, is that one can only do so much, in the end genetics will have the final say.

I dont even know why I'm responding to this nonsense..

smokeymacpot

Veteran
its not hating, its pointing out that by growing the plants the way you did, made for a bad comparison. i know exactly what you did when you grew those plants as your pictures show it, you tied them down and then flowered right away without letting sideshoots veg sufficiently so they would turn into cola's. you flipped early.. try again.

Frozenguy

Veteran
its not hating, its pointing out that by growing the plants the way you did, made for a bad comparison. i know exactly what you did when you grew those plants as your pictures show it, you tied them down and then flowered right away without letting sideshoots veg sufficiently so they would turn into cola's. you flipped early.. try again.

You said it yourself, you just looked at the pictures. How about you read some of the posts and you would see that they were not just tied down and flowered right away. "try again"

You think you can pull any yield with any plant? If not, then who are you to say I could of pulled more out of this. Ive worked this clone this way and that way and this is the best she has to offer. Her smoke is some of the best I've had. Thats why I dont care about getting 1g/w with her.

And she wont grow large colas. Not larger then what I pictured on post #144.

So take your ignorance elsewhere. :wave:

Not hating? C'mon dude at least admit you came in here looking for a fight. "Definately(sic)not the definitive test,""Veg your plants properly,""I'm not impressed,""half assed attempt"

I bet most folks around here would agree this is somewhat inflammatory language and would not be construed as a good-faith effort at criticism, let alone discussion.

Why not simply state your observations objectively? Why not simply ask why specific growing method is used?

I'm sure there are plenty of interesting points of discussion about this grow, including how much the difference in yield might have changed when growing plants with more vertical structure. But half-assed it ain't.

-dTv :tumbleweed:

Latest posts

Latest posts