What's new

12 million dollar marijuana bust today atlanta

Legit_User

forty grit said:
hahaha.. not in cali. that would be before you add the grow :yoinks:

lololol
True dat my cali bruddah...

I don't know if you guys know but stealing electricity is a hidden thing. The lines that come from the power pole come into the house. You simply tap into it from inside your home.
The electric company would have to go inside your house or monitor YOUR drop line from the power pole to figure it out.
I don't have the nutz to tap into a live power pole line, so no.... I haven't done it and I do not suggest you do it.
It's just not as obvious as some make it out to be.
I think the whole stealing power thing comes after the initial bust.
Damn realtor's...

:moon:

G

9k in electricity hard to cover up in a house? I woudn't think so... I use at least 2000 watts in a 1 bdrm apartment... altogether, for my grow I only have a 400w...

I am sure a $300,000 home would have that much power if not more.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Legit_User said:
lololol
True dat my cali bruddah...

I don't know if you guys know but stealing electricity is a hidden thing. The lines that come from the power pole come into the house. You simply tap into it from inside your home.
The electric company would have to go inside your house or monitor YOUR drop line from the power pole to figure it out.
I don't have the nutz to tap into a live power pole line, so no.... I haven't done it and I do not suggest you do it.
It's just not as obvious as some make it out to be.
I think the whole stealing power thing comes after the initial bust.
Damn realtor's...

:moon:

Total curiousity but....
How do you tap in and keep your HPS lights powered but also keep your meter spinning like its a normal household?

macster

Legit User ,first off the Power Company quickly notices that a small section of their grid is unaccountably bleeding power then its just a matter of isolating it. In my area a few grow houses have been taken down and don't you know they were all stealing power.

G

Isn't it true though, if you are on a smaller branch from the transformer(like one of only 3 or 4 houses on a huge transformer) that it would be really hard to detect.. Because of signal degredation over the lines as long as you don't brownout the neighborhood or blow a transformer trying to pull more than a house is allowed?

Granted you have a transformer that is holding more power than there is houses for it to go to and noone else on your branch is a theif also?

Last edited:

HCSmyth

Whether or not it is easy to get detected by the Power Company I do not know. But I do feel sorry for the moron that tries to bypass the meter with the 220v line that comes into the house. It is not like there is a circuit breaker you can flip while working on doing this thievery. I am sure there is a way to turn off power at the pole but does the average moron know how to do this?

Legit_User

macster said:
Legit User ,first off the Power Company quickly notices that a small section of their grid is unaccountably bleeding power then its just a matter of isolating it. In my area a few grow houses have been taken down and don't you know they were all stealing power.

Quickly?? No, afraid not.
I am not sitting here telling you that it can't happen but it's not a common thing.
Maybe your power company is a little more on top of things but out here they are not.
My buddy welds a lot. Uses his 220 20 amp welder all weekend long. has 400w mh's running day and night in his shop.
He is an electrician as well. Real smart guy. Knows too much for his own good. lol
He has been flipping his meter for yearsssssssssss and they have not caught on.(if you flip your meter upside down, it will turn the dial backwards, rolling back the meter readings.
He once forgot to flip the meter back and had 3 days to get the meter forward enough so there would even be a bill. He got it but barely. His bill was 4 dollars...
Stealing electricity sucks. Nobody should do it but people get away with it without it ever being found out.
I'll bet that a smell tips them off before excess electricity does.
I heard that the power companies are getting smarter equipment though. They will be able to monitor any transformer or line drop from their computers..
Be well

Last edited:

macster

Our meters have been sealed for years (not possible to flip) in fact are being replaced by digital units. Therefore power thiefs are cutting into the lines and I'm told this can be detected with a hand held meter (?). Anyhow once theft is determined it's easy to obtain a warrant and kick in the doors whereas getting a warrant to prove a growop is taking place is one hell of a lot of work and man hrs. to obtain, stealing power is nuts and makes much more sense to pay the bill.

Legit_User

macster said:
stealing power is nuts and makes much more sense to pay the bill.

Agree 100% bro.
I have no idea why I am debating over electricity theft.
Sometimes I get caught up in the "little" things.
Stay peaceful bruddah

G

stealing power is one thing...

but stealing power to assist in growing pounds of dank?

thats idiotic

hogwild

stealing power seems like pretty much the #1 reason for these grows getting busted. all the good ones would be still going if they were smart enough to go solar or use diesel gens or something other than stealing.

badmf

Somebody call me? lol With multiple properties and no one living in these houses they wanted to be very low key, therefore no bills. Though true electricity theft can get you popped so would the attention of a massive juice bill. The real problem here is using a small time set-up for a large op. As mentioned get either a warehouse or farm and do a greenhouse, which is smarter anyway less start up costs and no juice issues. When someone gets that large they have too too many contacts to rid themselves of the product, thus loose ends. A bad bad formula. Not the American dream but the nightmare!!

macster

Massive juice bills do nothing to raise leo's attention. Electric co. don't give a crap just pay the bill. Massive bills could be the result of anything who are they to speculate on what your using it for. Steal power and there's only one reason to do that and your ripping off the only one who can snoop you out and will do now that it's so common

Legit_User

I been hearing some chatter about our power company getting down on high user's.
The new "solution" is conservation and they are going to keep a more watchful eye on use. Calling people and letting them know their bill is abnormally high and to see if they want a "energy efficient inspection" to see what is causing high usage.
They already have a way of disciplining high users by way of pricing different levels of use.
They give you an average baseline and anything over that gets taxed heavyy..
They are getting more and more snoopy in the name of conservation.
Stay peaceful

HCSmyth

Legit_User said:
I been hearing some chatter about our power company getting down on high user's.
The new "solution" is conservation and they are going to keep a more watchful eye on use. Calling people and letting them know their bill is abnormally high and to see if they want a "energy efficient inspection" to see what is causing high usage.
They already have a way of disciplining high users by way of pricing different levels of use.
They give you an average baseline and anything over that gets taxed heavyy..
They are getting more and more snoopy in the name of conservation.
Stay peaceful

Is this now real common all over California?

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Who comes to your house every month? the meter reader.
They get alot of tips from them, smell, activity, ect

Nobody comes to my place. They upgraded all the meters to computerized and now they read them from a computer somewhere on the grid.
One of the elec guys was telling me that they can tell if you shut off the main to the house and if you get more than 3 in a short period they will send a tech out to see whats going on. They can also monitor all kinds of parameters through the transformers as they are networked devices and then cross that with the meters behind it to see if there is anything not quite right. As more companies get this technology then ripping electric will be virtually impossible.

They also fitted the water meter with a device and they just drive by to get a reading.

Latest posts

Latest posts