What's new

12 million dollar marijuana bust today atlanta

nappybutbald

Fayetteville couple, 24 others busted in drug ring

By KATHY JEFCOATS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/15/07

A Fayetteville real estate agent and her husband masterminded a $12 million operation to grow marijuana hydroponically in the basements of vacant $300,000 homes, police from at least six Georgia counties announced Wednesday.

Fayette County sheriff's drug agents said Blanca Botello, 34, is a licensed ReMax Realtor who helped close the sale on at least a dozen homes used in the operation. The homes are owned by Cuban nationals who also may be charged, police said at a news conference.

Police said Botello's husband, Merquiades Martinez, 35, owns a hydroponics store in Fayetteville. Hydroponics refers to a soil-less process of growing plants in water and nutrients.

Fayette District Attorney Scott Ballard said the couple, along with 24 others, mostly Cuban nationals, are charged with manufacturing and trafficking marijuana and theft of services. Ballard said all 26 are in county jails. No other suspect names were released.

Fayette sheriff's Lt. Dwayne Prosser said the massive amount of electricity used in the grow process was diverted to the house so it wouldn't show up on meters and raise suspicion.

"Phenomenal is the best word I can use to describe this operation," Prosser said.

Fayette County Sheriff Randall Johnson said marijuana was being grown in the basements of 11 homes in Fayette, Henry, Coweta, Butts, Newton and Rockdale counties. Agents raided a 12th home Wednesday afternoon in the exclusive Lake Dow community in Henry County, said Maj. Stoney Mathis of the Henry Police Department.

Prosser said the investigation, which originated from the Jones County Sheriff's Office and the Drug Enforcement Agency, is ongoing and more arrests are expected.

nappybutbald

it all started from a tip the FEDS received in Miami. Tip my ass somebody down there got busted and made a deal for less time i bet. or they pissed somebody off. rule number one keep you grow business to your self!

G

They where stealing their electic like all the others that have been busted with large grows like these. Do these people not learn from others that have been busted this way. Guess, their DIY person. Tells, them they got a new way not to get popped for stealing the juice. Same old story. Get a fuckin large generator
BG

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
yep, my old IC buddies Sin and BG got it right. Stealing power draws LEO's attention every time. SO MANY stories of busts goin down like this. If it's gonna be WAY too much power to pay for...maybe think of another way to do it. Generators, power sharing between houses, or maybe just breaking it down into more smaller grows instead of a couple BIG ones.
Be safe folks. If you pay your electric bill, they'll happily accept payment without questions.
cc

J

James-Bong

I used to live in Ga.... i wouldn't want to be facing those charges down there..... :angrymod:

HCSmyth

Even if they were running 25k in lights in each house it would still be safer for them to pay the very high $300-$500 bill than divert power, IMO. It makes no sense why these guys always divert power to save a few bucks.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
HC, 25kw operation will use about 9 megawatts per month just in flower time. The bill will be more like $1,000-$1,300, but you are correct. Just pay the bill. It is hard to justify a 9,000 kilowatt hour useage in any house. About half of that is justifiable if several people live there and there is a hot tub or spa. People always want to max out the space in the house and cannot justify using that much electricity, so they steal it. They might survive for a while, but not for long.

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
I don't know where anyone come up with... cause they were stealing power...they got busted... I would have expected someone busted sooner had they been generating humoungus electrical bills.... They aint stupid in ga...

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
bergerbuddy said:
I don't know where anyone come up with... cause they were stealing power...they got busted... I would have expected someone busted sooner had they been generating humoungus electrical bills.... They aint stupid in ga...

The article said charged with theft of services. That means stealing power. They may have gotten tipped off some other way but that stealing power is all the LEOs need to bust down the door.

Uncle Jesse

A realator and a hydro store owner ......how convienyent ,
they should have baught a warehouse in a buisiness zone and Parked 4 refridge trailors w/tractors in them, (I would call it OPERATION REEFER MADNESS)
run the set up inside trailors from generators. lazer cut static graphics to blend in, mobile if needed,

my thinking this would be a lot less suspicious than many unoccupied homes with strangers coming and going. stealing power and the marriage of the hydro-realator connection.

be happy not greedy.

G

it blows my mind when people steal power...i mean just really blows my mind...not only the fact its so stupid but its dangerous too...i dislike these kind of peeps b/c they make the rest of the community look irresponsible and gives ammo to the zealots who hate the herb...

macster

6k puts out 9 to 12 pds every 2 to 2.5 months @ $2500/ pd thats 20K-25K per crop you could pay the mortgage and still keep a huge profit would give a crap about a $400 to $500 hydro bill

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
It just makes me wonder,

WTF WERE THEY THINKING?

Obviously they weren't thinking or we'd have never heard about it.

I wonder what the timeline looks like. Did the husband open the hydro shop before they started or did he get into retailing so they could get the equipment they needed at wholesale price? Pretty good cover there if you needed to buy nutes in 55 gallon drums.

Either way, another fine example of what not to do.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Imo its bad business when your spouse is your top customer. I think his hydro and her house sales businesses are headed for lean times.

Latest posts

Latest posts