What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

G

That is a bad ass looking leaf Motaco. I have never seen one like that. Cool find

Make sure your tube lights(fluro's) hang as close to the seedlings as possible (a couple of centimeters)! A 400 watt lamp can be hung as low as 45 cm and a 600 watt lamp as low as 55 cm.

Don't be afraid, the seedlings can very well handle this, even though a good movement of air underneath the lamp is very important (ventilator!).

Make sure you spray in time, until the hull, that may come up when the seed germinates, has dropped off, as well as the protective film which envelopes the seed. This is necessary to prevent the hull and protective film to dry out, which sometimes result in sticking to the germinating seedling, which as a consequence, is hampered in it's development. Stop spraying water when all seedlings are overground, too allow for your seedlings to work at maximum efficiency underground. Offering too much humidity to the leaf often results in a less developed rootsystem. Contrary to clones, seedlings have a reasonable resistance to dry air. When using germinating trays, things often go wrong because of excessive heat and humidity.

Because we germinate and grow our seeds indoors on a warm medium, the plants tend to shoot up rather thinly, which causes weak and excessively high plants. This can only be prevented by hanging the lights as low as possible.

Lowering soil temperature could be an option, if it weren't for the growing speed we don't want to lose.

The biggest mistake being made is: not bringing the light close enough to the developing seedling!

Remember that the first two to three hours partly determine the rest of the plant's life!

This is very important information for those who want to start seeds on 12/12 right away

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the added help since I last visited, this info is helping at this very moment.

Please allow me to hypothesize for a moment and tell me what you think, I am just a grasshopper, as far as experience goes.

Is anyone else thinking that NPK ratios could have alot to do with when maturity starts? I mean, obviously with maturity showing later and a larger plant entering flowering....you get the idea. I really don't know if it is known how much effect N has on start of maturity, but it does delay flowering right? Someone in coco or hydro could easily have precise control over NPK ratio....am I way off?

chronic50s

Thats a good thought there Elephant Man......

And I've always wondered myself how one would go about feeding a plant started off on 12/12....

Hey Atmosphere or anybody with this knowledge, please enlighten me!

Chronic :joint:

friedrich

Coco is a perfect medium for maximum yield in 12/12 from seed. My advice is to feed the plant regarding the plants maturation stages very carefully.
The first three weeks, before sexed, i would be very careful with nutes.
In coco using onepart solution, I recommend half the dosage.
I would crank up the nutes to normal "flowering"-levels (doing it partially...) when plant is sexed and starts to stretch. That would be around week four. I would add pk 13/14 at minimum doses when budsites have started to form for real. Maybe around week 6-7, but its totally strain- and phenodependeble. Look at the plant. Feed as needed.
Most growers overfeed and beeing contraproductive.

Or grow it in large soilcontainers or soilbeds and don´t fertilize at all.
Because it´s all about ROOTS and watts, right?
Throw in a few extra beans to make up for that little loss in yield compared to the coco coir.
That´s a breeze. And cheap.
Gardening should be fun and easy maintained.

Check out "Mandala-Mikes" fertilizing guide.
It makes perfect sense and so does his genetics, support and pricing.
I believe "Growdoc" made some very interesting posts on 12/12 with no-vegging in soilbeds using Plagron-nutes. Haven´t tried his beans though (yet), but they seem very nice.

Keep up the good work.

bio-forte

You said that flowering time is unaffected. So your saying an eight week strain will go from seed to maturity in 8 weeks? I've popped beans in the corner of a bloom room before and after a couple weeks they still hadn't shown flowering characteristics. I would just think that the plant would have to develope a bit to increase its levels of flowering hormones(which would be slim to none in a seed) before it completely turned over. Just a thought. Cool idea though. I guess i'd have to seed out a mom or something first to get enough seed to try this. Worth an experiment though.

Last edited:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
bio-forte said:
You said that flowering time is unaffected. So your saying an eight week strain will go from seed to maturity in 8 weeks? I've popped beans in the corner of a bloom room before and after a couple weeks they still hadn't shown flowering characteristics. I would just think that the plant would have to develope a bit to increase its levels of flowering hormones(which would be slim to none in a seed) before it completely turned over. Just a thought. Cool idea though. I guess i'd have to seed out a mom or something first to get enough seed to try this. Worth an experiment though.

The plant needs to reach vegetative maturity before it can flower. So an 8 week strain would take 8 weeks from that point the plant is mature enough to flower.

muddy waters

bio-forte the quickest of the quick will finish about 11 weeks from germination. most finish about 12-13 in my experience.

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
Berry_Coughin' said:
Ya, I just posted on this earlier in this thread.... I do it to get some seeds really quick then kill the males, and revert the girls right after they show they've been pollinated..... peace....

Why do you wait for the girls to get pollenated?

Lemme first say that I could care less about yield from this plant, have a crappy cam, am new to growing MJ, but I like to try and contribute.

This little girl was technically vegged for 2 weeks under flouros, to about 5 nodes high I guess (5 inches or so) basically until I discovered this method. I will do better with time frames in the future, I believe these pics are 10-14 days later, and even though she was also topped, she just now preflowered at 14" above soil level. She caught me off gaurd just abit in her needs at first, but I don't think she was stunted too bad. She also was transplanted from 4" pot to one gallon, certainly all valid points in the outcome. I have more seed and will make more so I will do better next time.

Basically though, preliminary observations tell me that she is probably well suited for this method...feel free to await for final results, or even my next grow...but you get my point I hope...nothing more than hoping to add this 'Swazi Safari' to the 'does well' list.

Enjoy

The amount of light plants recieve determine the amount of flowering hormones . On 12/12 from seed they will mature in about 3 weeks because you force them to do so. When you use just 10 ours of light a day the will probably start flowering and therefore also maturing even faster .

In veg its a different story with lots of things that determine the moment they start maturing , the amount of nitrogen is one of them

Last edited:

Haggis123

I agree atmosphere.
This is the first time for me on this method, I usually do clones SOG tyle.
My AK first started showing pre-flowers around day 18-19 and had decent fluffy tops at around a week after the pre-flowers.
I was pretty amazed at how well they formed, as had doubts about this style at the start......thought flowering may take an age to get going good, and thought the yield would be rank.
But I don't knock, until I have tried.......so thought yeah,......worth a go, had a few spare beans.......why not.
I think it is coming along better than I had expected, and to me the plant looks absolutely gorgeous........"bonsia, budder". "Class".

For the dude asking about feeding. (sorry can't remember the name and can't see your post on the page as typing ??? Sorry dude, but you know who you are.. :joint: )

This is how I fed mine and still feeding......not long to go now until I start flushing. :joint:

I got it in a hydro pot, using rockwool and clay pebbles.
I used Growth-Technology Formulex for the first week then switched to Canna.
I started off with using the vega (obviously) for the first week and the second week onwards I used varying strengths of vega & flores, working up to total flores.
Canna nutes used.....Canna Aqua....A&B, Aqua veg...Aqua bloom.
Rhizotonic, Cannazyme, PK 13/14, CannaBoost.

Don't want to give out precise details at the mo', i.e - EC's etc.....as will be doing a strain report in a few weeks....hopefully :joint: so will post more details then.

muddy waters

I have a 12/12 grow with 250 watts of full spectrum T8 lighting side-mounted which I'm about to start and I'll be running nirvana's powerplant and a bagseed i call rotten fruit. I plan to share the results here.

You should really be serious about those first 3 weeks .Lots of light Some blue light would be even better. By the time they show sex they should be less than 7 inches tall ! This does not meen they have been growing to slow ,they just have been growing wide instead of strechting to the sky.

This one is just 2 inches tall after 12 days from seed :

Last edited:
atmosphere said:
You should really be serious about those first 3 weeks .Lots of light Some blue light would be even better. By the time they show sex they should be less than 7 inches tall ! This does not meen they have been growing to slow ,they just have been growing wide instead of strechting to the sky.

This one is just 2 inches tall after 12 days from seed :

I have some a few days behind that one in your pic less than 2 feet from a 400mh, and more under a 1kw since birth. A few K2 hybrids. They are very compact. My Godbud x Afghan Dream male showed while very small. Are you sure these 2 plants I posted pics of are not 'super sativas'? I am honestly asking because I value your opinion and I am listening carefully. My hybrids do not look like these sativa pics I posted, same soil, same lighting, and show sex much sooner. I do pack them in flower too (SOG style) not for yeild, but for variety and breeding, and always prefer a slightly larger internode distance in favor of ventilation...sativas are very nice in that regard.

I can only grow indica doms in the winter...too hot here. So far sativas seem to prefer my low RH too. Anyway, they are easier for me to grow and so far the sativa I have dried and cured is dwindling much faster than the rest. :joint: So I am curious about it's application to landrace or low latitude sativas.

G

atmosphere said:
Are you talking about the last 3 pics you posted in here ?

If you mean me. then yes, this 3 pics are nyc diesel x strawberry diesel grown directly under 12/12...

munkie

:wave: Some nice looking plants in this thread. Im surprised 12/12 seems to be such a 'new' thing to growing. Im sure plenty of people have been doing it for a while. Anyway here is my update. My 4 bagseed plants look like they are sativa (skinny leaves) and they are responding better to the 12/12 than my white rhino and church plants. The sativas have more trichs at this point and are "fuller". Have a look for yourselves.

Oh, Im up to watering every 2-3 days, they are soaking it up. Did a lot of trimming last week and today...

4 Sativas are on the left.

budz :yummy:

Closeup - bagseed

Latest posts

Latest posts