What's new

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

G

well a good distance for a mature plant with a 150w is 6-8 inches, so i would say at least 16in away

B

buzzed day

thanks rkrone will try that for a starting place and ajust as needed. have a buzzed day.peace

WOW I WEIGHED ONE OF MY DRIED NUGGS YESTERDAY AND IT ONLY WEIGHED 10 GRAMS, STILL HAVE 4 MORE PLANTS TO WEIGH, BUT ALL IN ALL I AM STILL HAPPY B/C I HAVE SOME GREAT SMOKE AND NOW I KNOW HOW TO TWEAK WHAT I HAVE ALREADY DONE...MY FIRST 12/12 IS CURING NOW...WILL LET YOU KNOW THE TOTAL WEIGHT OF ALL 5 PLANTS..THANSK FOR THE ADVICE...

H

Hal

Hey Weed Life...

Not sure....if they are 80% indica, will likely stay very short, probably lowryder height, I'm guessing 12" to 16", but thats just a guess, haven't heard of anyone trying that strain in this method yet. You'd be the first, you pioneer you....this is how we get this information, I encourage you to do the experiment!

weed_life

Hal said:
Hey Weed Life...

Not sure....if they are 80% indica, will likely stay very short, probably lowryder height, I'm guessing 12" to 16", but thats just a guess, haven't heard of anyone trying that strain in this method yet. You'd be the first, you pioneer you....this is how we get this information, I encourage you to do the experiment!

yeah im deffinaly going ahead with it i planted the seeds yestaday will keep you updated here as they grow

rkrone said:
well a good distance for a mature plant with a 150w is 6-8 inches, so i would say at least 16in away

In my opinion : put them as close to the light as you would do with a mature plant .

th estart is the hardest part in my opinion , but if you manage to confront your new borns with intens light even in the first hours of thier life you are going to benefit from that.

When you prevent stretching right from the very first start ,it will be hard to get them to strech a week later , even when increase the lampdistance!!
When the start with a lack of light they strech and you wont be able to undo that ,not even when you shorten the lamp distance .
so , thier first light inpuls determines a lot .

weed_life

atmosphere said:
In my opinion : put them as close to the light as you would do with a mature plant .

th estart is the hardest part in my opinion , but if you manage to confront your new borns with intens light even in the first hours of thier life you are going to benefit from that.

When you prevent stretching right from the very first start ,it will be hard to get them to strech a week later , even when increase the lampdistance!!
When the start with a lack of light they strech and you wont be able to undo that ,not even when you shorten the lamp distance .
so , thier first light inpuls determines a lot .

thats intresting! is that what you do? i may try this are you sure it wont shock them or stunt their growth at all? why do people recomeng haning the light so high at 1st anyway?

G

i personally do it this way because i feel that in the same way you harden off a seedling to get ready for sun, gradually lowering the light from less than double the normal height imo gradually acclimates the seedling to the intense light...and as a sidenote i only make height adjustments for seedlings when using HID lighting when doing 12/12 from seed.

edit: i also do this for a purposeful stretch from the start, theres no real reasoning behind it, just the way i do

Last edited:

weed_life

mine have just poped the soil i will be putting my light on tomorrow will 1 meter above them be fine? (400watt growlux hps) how do i know when i can lower it?

Last edited:
H

Hal

I think a meter would be way, way too high. I bet you could get away with keeping the light 10" above them at first, I think atmosphere is suggesting that you keep the distance even shorter than that. I was told by a knowledgeable dealer of HPS lights that I could keep a 400 watter about 6" above the canopy, as long as their was good ventilation.

If you start at 10", and keep an eye on them for the first 4 hours to see how they react to that intensity....that would be likely safe, and like atmosphere mentioned, it would keep them from stretching, which you don't want. The 2nd day you could probably get the light even closer.

Just make sure you have a fan blowing across the tops of the plants to remove any excess heat.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
weed_life said:
thats intresting! is that what you do? i may try this are you sure it wont shock them or stunt their growth at all? why do people recomeng haning the light so high at 1st anyway?

I never understood this problem. I use CFLs from seed until they've established themselves, maybe two or three sets of real leaves, about an inch or so away. They don't get burnt, the light isn't too intense or too hot, and they always grow very good under the light. When they're that small, 30w of CFLs an inch above their head is a lot of light.

Once they've reached the two or three sets of leaves stage, switch to HID and they should be able to handle the light as close as you would keep it any other time, temperature permitting.

I guess what I'm saying is... wouldn't very close CFLs be a better choice than a high HID light? Stretch is almost nonexistent. (Or do people want stretch?)

Last edited:
weed_life said:

Those people treat thier seedlings like clones , with those you need to hang the lamp that far away from them. This because of the still too small roots .
Seedplants ar ea different story :

In nature seed plants are often confronted with the even more intens light from the sun !! As long as the soil remains moist and there is enough ventilation there won't be a problem .
I've had 600 watt HPS at 45 cm distance of sprouting seedlings , without problems . More interesting is how it benefits the plants , something people need to see for themselves. No doubt that it brings you better plants !

weed_life

atmosphere said:
In nature seed plants are often confronted with the even more intens light from the sun !! !

thats a very good point that and so true! iv got my 400watt 50cms above them now will see how it gose cheers/

bounty29 said:
I never understood this problem. I use CFLs from seed until they've established themselves, maybe two or three sets of real leaves, about an inch or so away. They don't get burnt, the light isn't too intense or too hot, and they always grow very good under the light. When they're that small, 30w of CFLs an inch above their head is a lot of light.

Once they've reached the two or three sets of leaves stage, switch to HID and they should be able to handle the light as close as you would keep it any other time, temperature permitting.

I guess what I'm saying is... wouldn't very close CFLs be a better choice than a high HID light? Stretch is almost nonexistent. (Or do people want stretch?)

If you have enough of them they can be a better choice i believe. I completely fill the pots with dirt so the sprouting seedlings can be put at 0,25 inch from the tubes . This not only to preven tstretching but to become thick stems and fast developing plants.

G

hello all. been registered on this forum for quite a long time now, no posting though. just learning.

now it's time to post and to give some credits to people here...
hal you're the best. tnx for starting this thread. it leaded me to most amazing people i will ever know.
atmosphere, tnx for that one tiny link you posted here!!! you know what i'm talking about (nature is here, btw :p)

anyway, here we go. my first, beginner grow

i'll make report when i'm done. strains are double fun and desert queen (nomercy supply)

Last edited:
H

Hal

Hey PM...

Good to meet ya. I did the same thing, lurked for awhile, I think that is pretty normal until you feel you have the lay of the land.

Your set up looks nice. Those are two strains which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet (though if you got 'em from nomercy atmosphere is probably aquainted with them) so it will be great to get a report on how they respond to 12/12.

I haven't poked my head in this thread for a bit...reminds me that I have to write up a couple of grow reports for my last grow.

RasJay727

Hey there Atmosphere, i remember you from OG also, u were a legend...i have been growin 12/12 every since viewing your threads from that time, i've grown hashberry, blue-hash, masterkush, bagseed, mandela and tiki strains with this method with great results. i feel what u said is on point about large amounts of light at a young age for the plants, im getting ready for a new grow and wanted to know what is a good No Mercy strain with this method, ive singled my choices down to K2 Special and Ice Queen, i'm leaning towards the K2 Special but wanted advise from someone who knows about No Mercy strains.

**also to 1st time 12/12 from seed growers...dont believe the naysayers indica strains can florish in the type of grow methods, just make sure they get enough light and are feed right...if you can go with organics(EWC-Humus-etc) the plants love it and lst...peace