What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

CornBread

So, atmosphere, 1 litre pots are enough? (10cm are usually 1 litre)
Is this enough for the whole cycle?

Another Issue not touched at all is lamp choice.
How would a MH lamp be in a 12/12 setup?

Haggis123

CornBread said:
So, atmosphere, 1 litre pots are enough? (10cm are usually 1 litre)
Is this enough for the whole cycle?

Another Issue not touched at all is lamp choice.
How would a MH lamp be in a 12/12 setup?

I used a 1.5 litre pot which I think is 10cm x 10cm for the whole grow.

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
atmosphere said:
A seedling which is put on 12/12 straight away will only make one big bud of 50-70 cm without lateral branches.

this is not true for all strains. a lot of the sativa hybrids have a different tendency during flowering, even if forced with 12/12.. and side branching is only one trait. btw i like the variety from seeds, this is actually very cool :cool:

the point is, you are talkin about commercial hybrids ..but many special strains are different... some fine varieties are also relative low yielding (from genetics), a good example is Deep Chunk (for indicas) & for sativas think about Haze & mostly haze crosses. the haze will grow stretchy & branchy if 12/12 from seed...much earlier flowering comes with 11/13 (lights off)
Very interesting stuff is also the Blue family :D
...here are some shots from my F-13 grown with no veg...
not many buds, but incredible sticky resin (i must make some crosses with this blue sativa:)

macros:)

Last edited:
In thier first 3 weeks you can use very small pots becuase still being small like that ,they hardly use any nutes or take lots of space. 0,5 liter pot will do fine untill they choose sex . Then transfer in to something bigger , 5 liter or more . My choice is one big amount of soil not seperate pots ,after they showed sex.

an important advantage of this 12/12 from the start method is the fact you can use very small pots that take very little room in the first +/- 3 weeks .

Last edited:

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes thats right about the little pots.i'm growing with this style many years..but i give em a bit more than 0.5 liter :smile:

Last edited:
I think I need to add something to this thread as I remember this was big in the OG thread. This technique only works for growers that know what they are doing and can stay on top of their grows no matter how good the strain is for 12/12 from seed. What I mean is this, 12/12 wont work well if you cant make your plants stay in "the wave" of constant growth. IF you stunt your plants or neglect them(some pics of weak seedlings Ive seen here donthave a chance) will not work well and yeilds will be 1-4 g's per plant if you get anything at all. You still need a big healthy plant by the time stretch is done or the plant will concentrate on forming the smallest popcorn buds you've ever seen. Munkie Atmosphere Hal are no expert horticulturist's but they did a great job in catching all the growth the plant had to offer.

Lofty

Creeptic said:
i understand this is the 12/12 from seed thread... but is their any reason you dont use the second area for moms/clones?

just curious, because i think the main benefits of 12/12 from seed seems to be quicker harvests and only needing one room... but i actually think you can get quicker harvests from clones... 7 days to root in a cloner, and then you can go right to 12/12 with the clone which is already mature which should give it a 2-3 week head start on anything from seed

again, not trying to stir any trouble or anti 12/12 sentiment, im just curious as to the reasoning

putting newly rooted clones on 12/12 wud b dif to get good yeild coz the clone has a biological clock of the mother, the older the mother is the quicker the clone will flower and the smaller it will b, its a perfect little miniture of wat i normally get 7oz of, this is bout 7grams lol.

3 major advantages for me and others i wud think, my veg room cud b switched to a grow room giving me mor, i cud finally get rid of the replicators, and i can bring on seeds in the same room so theres no delay.

here is a AK47 clone i put in at the same time as the seeds

it went from 4" to 10" and stopped as it was in full flower.

Mad HattersWrld said:
I think I need to add something to this thread as I remember this was big in the OG thread. This technique only works for growers that know what they are doing and can stay on top of their grows no matter how good the strain is for 12/12 from seed. What I mean is this, 12/12 wont work well if you cant make your plants stay in "the wave" of constant growth. IF you stunt your plants or neglect them(some pics of weak seedlings Ive seen here donthave a chance) will not work well and yeilds will be 1-4 g's per plant if you get anything at all. You still need a big healthy plant by the time stretch is done or the plant will concentrate on forming the smallest popcorn buds you've ever seen. Munkie Atmosphere Hal are no expert horticulturist's but they did a great job in catching all the growth the plant had to offer.

Isn't that whats growing Cannabis is all about ? for maximizing yields , yes i believe it is ,because time is a big issue . Once your plants are delayed by something/ slowed down in development they will never be ab;le to develop as fast as they did before the delay ! and this will always affect yield .

In this picture some serious 12/12 growing is going on . With this size grows efficiency plays an important role : http://www.nomercy.nl/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_DSC00796.JPG

ngakpa

Veteran
Senegal Haze is performing fine under 12/12 at the mo

over 1 metre to about 1.5 metre, acceptable internode length, plenty bud sites and branching

Lofty said:
i intend to set up a little grow area for wen the seeds pop, there'll b on 12/12 same as the rest and i'm guna use 2x200w blue spec envirolites, so my question is, how far from the lites shud the seeds b wen they pop.

hal, atmosphere, munkie, harris or anyone else.

this wud giv me the chance to bring the seeds on without having to stack them up on boxes to get them near the 2 x 600w hps i'm using, plus i'll b able to get the humidity up there for wen they pop.

Bring your lamps as close as the heat lets you . probably just 4 inches from the popping seeds .

chosen

Veteran
Here is my Mango 5 days old. Started 12/12 from seed. I can only do so many due to my medical card...

Lofty

ngakpa said:
Senegal Haze is performing fine under 12/12 at the mo

over 1 metre to about 1.5 metre, acceptable internode length, plenty bud sites and branching

wat seed company? how do they compare with other strains u'v don?

ngakpa

Veteran
heya :)

Senegal Haze is from Afropips

(Neville's Haze x Super Silver Haze) x Cassamance Senegalese ('scuse spelling - Southern Senegal anyways) ... not sure which was mum, which dad

I've only recently started using 12/12 from seed recently - I also don't pretend to be an experienced or expert grower, just have the one 400W here ... I have travelled a fair bit though, and fancy I know good grass/hash when I smoke it

I know Dubi and other experienced growers will say that sativas need long veg etc. but I am perfectly happy with the bud from the Malawi hybrid strains I have grown that way

Triple Treat from Afropips was good
(Malawi Gold mum x DP Blueberry) mum x Sweet Tooth #3 green pheno

Leda Uno x Triple Treat
Leda Uno x Nigerian Afghan
Leda Uno x Malawi 99

all above crosses seem fine with brief 14/10 veg in small cups
the Leda Uno x Malawi 99 will yield a good 3oz plus I reckon
all have lovely lemon dominant aromas
the best Leda Uno x TT is also a monster and has the most amazing lemon blueberry aromas - again a good three oz I reckon

currently doing a week of 14/10 (for some of Sam_S's Neville's Haze x Colombian Red) which I hope won't slow things too much for the babes in full bud

:) peace and happy toking,

Namkha

Last edited:

frio

Hi everybody! due to crucial timing issues i need to shorten the total time of my next cycle as much as possible, so i'm seriously considering making this my first 12/12 from seed cycle.
i have some questions for you 12/12 pros:

1) having followed a few 12/12 cycles on these pages i have understood that the whole cycle lasts as much as the ordinary flowering time + 20 days (average). is this correct or did i jump at the wrong conclusions?

2) how many plants can i fit in a 1x1m homebox grow tent using this method? i understand this depends on the strain, so i also need to choose what strains to plant. right now i have these seeds:
10 - Th Seeds - Kushage
10 - Reservoir - Abusive Kushaze
5 - Mountain High - freebie mix
2 - Reeferman - Kodiak Gold
2 - Flying Dutchman - Pineapple Punch

oh, i use a 400w HPS. i'll be taking frequent pics of the whole cycle, so stay tuned for the grow show.

H

Hal

Hey Frio...

Welcome to the thread dude. Gotta leave soon, can't chat much. Here are some answers to your questions.

1) yeah, thats about correct...20 days is a good average time, but of course it could be a little more, or even a tad less.

2) the number of plants you can fit into your space will depend on not only the plant you grow, but also the size pot you grow in. I don't have any experience with the plants you have listed there, but I'm pretty certain that any plant that is known to do well in a SOG garden, the kind that develop only a large main cola, will not take up too much space, width wise. It is likely that the pots you choose to grow in will be more important in the total # of plants you can fit. Last I have grown 2 gardens in 12/12, both times with 1 liter pots (tiny), and from now on I will grow in larger pots (1 gal) because I think it limits the bud growth.

I have heard that you can use much smaller pots if you use coco, but I don't know anything about using coco, so you'll need to get info on that from someone else.

I look forward to seeing your pics and the garden as it progresses. Good luck!

G

my micro cab is starting to show and it looks like a male after about 23-28 days

Lofty

kick his arse rkrone, i've just pulled 2 males out and put them in a bedroom so i can hav a go at collecting pollon.

G

if i had the room to do that i would, but when i came home and cheked on him he pressed up against the bulb and a couple leaves got mangled in the fan, so it was more of a mercy kill

good luck on the pollen collecting

Creeptic

well my 2 white widows are 23 days old born under 12/12... one is definitley a male... and the other im pretty sure is a male, but ill give it another couple of days to make sure :badday:

so for those wondering and for future reference... it looks like nirvana white widow will show sex @ about 3 weeks from seed

oh well, the 12/12 from seed will have to wait for me til another grow... no big deal, i presently have plenty of other plants growin ( 10 girls :yummy: )