What's new

12/1 lighting--Any truth or banana in the tail pipe?

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I can only speak of what Ive exp. in helping others grow, but I dont see a problem w/ it. IMO most strains will be triggered into flowering when the light drops to 14 hrs. The only problem I could forsee is w/ sativas/hazes. They might benefit from a shorter day, like 10 hrs. My friends jack herer , very sative pheno, wouldnt stop producing under a 12/12, and the quality suffered. My $0.01. cheers

softyellowlight

I just dropped my very-sativa-mom Vanilluna F2 garden to 11 on 13 off and I am hoping that does something good for it, as it's been growing well but trichomes not maturing very much. Thanks for sharing your friend's experiences, wildgrow.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I just dropped my very-sativa-mom Vanilluna F2 garden to 11 on 13 off and I am hoping that does something good for it, as it's been growing well but trichomes not maturing very much. Thanks for sharing your friend's experiences, wildgrow.

This is exactly what was happening w/ the jack. The bottom branches managed to finish and had a sweet, pissy? smell n flavor. The stuff at the top is only showing trich prescence at 1 week of curing. I got a lil for my help and Im not gonna smoke it for at least 3 more weeks. It just smells and tastes like hay/straw. I think he should have gone to a 10 hr day for a couple weeks, followed by a total dark period. Its a shame, 12 zs from this plant and 2/3 of it is really lacking. cheers

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
im not 100% certain yet, but i think the cuttings from plants in flower, rooted under 12/1 are flowering now.... ill let you know in another 2 weeks...
peace

K

krest

does anyone think there is any value to flowering at 13/11 (on/off)?
i do mine at 12.5/11.5 as i feel it keeps the temp / atmosphere in the room nicer somehow, and give more energy- does this make sense?

I've done some 13/11 growing and IME the time to finish is extended and the stretch is exaggerated... especially for sativas. I'm trying 11/13 for a run of Sour D to see if I can get the finish time under 80 days without sacrificing too much yield.

Another thing I've noticed on some of my strains (mostly sativa dom) grown using 13/11 is that the buds are fluffier and foxtail much more than when I used a regular 12/12 lighting schedule on the same strains.

Revolucion

My plants started flowering with this 12/5.5/1/5.5 rhythm. I have been normally using a 4h on / 4h off light cycle to save electricity which has worked wonderfully. The plants stay in veg, the temperature of the grow room stays lower and I haven't seen much difference in growth when compared with a regular light cycle.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
8 days a week

8 days a week

I had a thought the other day (1st one this week). Is it possible to cut a day/night cycle down to 20 hrs? 16 on/4 off. This would take a digital timer as the time of day your lights turn on would be different everyday for 6 days. Essentially giving you 7 day/night cycles over 6 actual days. 7 weeks of veg could be done in < 6 weeks. It would also break up the times your equipment is running so it would take a min of 12 days to see a pattern of use. Just throwin it out there. cheers

Shit. The 7th day would start the cycle again so when the timer returns to day 1 itll be 4 hrs off. Can a timer have a day turned off? Head scratcher.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I had a thought the other day (1st one this week). Is it possible to cut a day/night cycle down to 20 hrs? 16 on/4 off. This would take a digital timer as the time of day your lights turn on would be different everyday for 6 days. Essentially giving you 7 day/night cycles over 6 actual days. 7 weeks of veg could be done in < 6 weeks. It would also break up the times your equipment is running so it would take a min of 12 days to see a pattern of use. Just throwin it out there. cheers

It sounds like a reasonable idea. Try it! Let us know how it goes.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I will Anti. Buuuutt, itll have to wait until next winter. I need to grow out my closet and get ready for the great outdoors. Ahhh yes; the bugs, the heat, the rain, the mud, the cops and the rippers. Why the hell am I gonna do this? I hate drama. cheers

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Looks like this thread has died. Ill make this report, check back in a few days, and if theres no action... thats that.
Its now been 2 weeks since I started the 14/1 cycle. The mini moms have adapted and are not poppin more flowers. The big gals are between 16"-18", so not much stretch, if any. Pistels are still coming, but not at an accelerated rate. The real test as to whether or not there will be stretch when put into 12/12 is just around the corner.
cheers

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
Looks like this thread has died. Ill make this report, check back in a few days, and if theres no action... thats that.
Its now been 2 weeks since I started the 14/1 cycle. The mini moms have adapted and are not poppin more flowers. The big gals are between 16"-18", so not much stretch, if any. Pistels are still coming, but not at an accelerated rate. The real test as to whether or not there will be stretch when put into 12/12 is just around the corner.
cheers
pls continue posting your results!!
I have come to the conclusion that, cuttings from flowering plants, rooted under 12/1 will take double the time, some might not even root... best is to stay with 20/4 for cuttings..
BUT whot was intersting to see is that the cuttings grew very slow & started throwing out pistels...roots grew at normal rate
i then whent with 18/6 after 2 weeks of 12/1 and they started vegging straight away
they are perfect for moms as they are already bushy & have lots of branches coming from the bud sites...

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
pls continue posting your results!!
I have come to the conclusion that, cuttings from flowering plants, rooted under 12/1 will take double the time, some might not even root... best is to stay with 20/4 for cuttings..
BUT whot was intersting to see is that the cuttings grew very slow & started throwing out pistels...roots grew at normal rate
i then whent with 18/6 after 2 weeks of 12/1 and they started vegging straight away
they are perfect for moms as they are already bushy & have lots of branches coming from the bud sites...

Where the flowering plants that you cloned under a 12/12 budding cycle? Id be surprised any would root under 12/1 coming off a plant in 12/12. Seems like a hard turnaround for them. Id thinkt would be easier on them if the flowering moms were under 12/1.
I think the 12/1 cycle keeps in a veg/flower limbo. Waiting for a signal as to which way to develop. So Im not surprised at the quick vegging, seeing how bud development would seem to catapult at the drop in light.
Are you making small moms to clone up for outdoors this year like I am? cheers

glockdoc

i have a feeling that if you ran a veg on 20/4 then switched to 14/10 for flowering for 80% of the flowering time and then followed by dropping the hours to 12/12, then to 10/14 will give you bigger yield then standard 12 12. if you flowered only under a 14/10 schedule it would take longer for your plant to finish flowering but your yield would be increased. so you even that of with the extra dark hours the last 20% time of your grow. it is well known about 14/10 for flowering increases yield but takes longer and its also known that 10/14 will yield less but finish faster so if you mixed it im willing to bet you can pull of higher yields with normal flowering time.
p.s. i have much respect for this 12/1 method though dont get me wrong

glockdoc

lol and dont be fooled by that being my 1st post, i am a member of another forum, i just like how people are on this one and the results alot of people on here get compared to other forums. its a real interesting thing to think about, ive brought it up at my other community and it was food for thought for lots of people. the people at my forum talk lots of junk and make fun of others, and would shoot down ideas like this within seconds making your thread seem foolish when it indeed isnt. then when they find out they yield less then most others in other grow communities they dont know what to say or think. only thing about this place is i heard the seed bank they support be ripping people of which is worse. gypsy nirvana has a strain i would kill to grow, but they have a bad rep of ripping people off who work for there money and sending it to them OFF THERE WORD of what the strain is said to be and they rip you off. shake my head. sorry for the rant but nice to meet you all!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Welcome to the club glockdoc. I really havent been to any other sites but what you say seems to be true. I like the fact that people here experiment and share the results. There are still some that say you have to do things this way or that, but as a whole this place rocks. cheers

glockdoc

hey thanks bro. yea it is like that over here which is mint, and like i said only problem that i observed was gypsy nirvana.

K

krest

Recently started my next run of Sour D IBL (almost 2 weeks in) using the 11/13 light schedule. The Sour D has already increased in size by 50%. Going forward I will follow the lighting reduction every 2 weeks exactly as shown in the OP. I'll post results if I remember, maybe a few pics. If this schedule can get my SD to finish at 70 days, less than a 10% drop in yield, and tighter buds, I'll call it a success.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
The 14/1 schedule will be done once I get my light next week. As things stand, my plants dont seem to be growing vertically anymore and they no longer spit out flowers. The only things that remains to observe are 1) do the plants start showing fast bud formation, and 2) do the plants have a low stretch ratio. Ill make a final report on them 3 weeks from now. (1 week to get my light in and installed, 1 week for veg, 1 week in flower) cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts