What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/1 lighting--Any truth or banana in the tail pipe?

54 days flower

The frost level on these is noticeably more. As far as weight goes the top colas appear to be similar in size, but the lower buds are all bigger than usual. If I would have know these would not have stretched I would have vegged them another foot. However now know. I usually take these 70 days. I am thinking the end of next week will be when these get chopped.

Thanks for trying this bro

FT-

Lowman

I ran the veg schedule of 12/1 for about 2 months. Things seem to work well, especially the lower electric bill. BUt then I noticed my napalms started showing three blade fan leaves at the top. I have never seen this in this strain. I then noticed my male clones in veg started flowering. I switched back.

I may try it again...and I think it works well. The plants seemed to trigger the flowering phase faster as well. But I fear some strains don't like it.

Ok...after further evaluation, I have found that my Napalms are still doing the three blade trick even under 17/7 light. The males I was keeping also continued to flower under 17/7. So I have switched my veg room back, except this time I'm gonna use 13/1. I canot do the flowering schedule due to perpetual harvests. Lets try this one time.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Lowman: Those are the symptoms my indica got, fewer petals on the leaves and less serrations. When I brightened the lights with added red, almost budroom level, it helped. The sativa does so well under 12/1 I put up with the now minor leaf reduction the indica responds with. The extra light eliminated any cost savings.

Definitely strain specific responses though, if I had tried it on the indica first that would have been the last time I tried it.

I went through several grows finding this out, the plants did not respond well to light cycle changes in the middle, kinda like when I change the feed schedule on my cats.

This is only the 12/1 veg cycle I speak of.
The reducing time daily during bud cycle method made smaller buds for me. Healthy plants but loss of yield.

NeoBubz

Been trolling this one a while, use to post here and on OG as BubbleBoi. Has intrigued me enough to register again : )~

I'm waiting to hear comparison of yield and bud sites versus "traditional" light cycles. Seams a viable option for maintaining mums and vegging, and has me curious. However, growing under a scrog setup the thought of slower veg growth and less stretching during flower doesn't sound too appealing. Neither does a stronger odor if that's indeed the case. Wondering if going from a 12/1 veg room to an 18/6 to fill the canopy before flower would stress the plants and whether or not they'd remain to exhibit the slower growth. Nifty little method none the less, interested to see more results.

señorsloth

Veteran
i use 12-1 lighting and i'll never go back, i'm halfway through my 3rd run with it and have been getting better and better results every time. My strains which never matured before 11/12 weeks are finishing at closer to ten weeks now! the buds seem denser and the total weight has been improving over my old 12-12 records and averages. because they ripen a week earlier i just let them get riper than i ever let them before(because i wasn't willing to wait more than 11 weeks) that makes them frostier, plumper, stinkier, and with a more full bodied high that is much more satisfying.

anybody that comes on this thread just to throw out theorys on why they don't think it should work need to get lives! THE METHOD WORKS! it's not something you can dispute! it's a time tested and proven schedule that is used by every commercial flower farmer out there! they would laugh at us if they knew how much light we waste because we are so unwilling to try new methods or read any kind of study done on the subject. flower farming corporations have spent millions researching the best ways to do what they do, if there were a better way to ripen photoperiod dependent flowers, they would know about it and use it! if you don't grow and aren't willing to devote a single run to testing it out then YOUR OPINION DOESN'T MATTER TO THIS DISCUSSION AT ALL!

the people who have tried the lighting schedule to it's entirety report faster maturation, increased floral bouquet, slightly larger yields and more robust growth. this method is the future! it's clearly superior, i have no doubt that if i weren't growing elite genetics right now id be smashing all my old records, and next round when i have a yeild strain i'll be proving that for myself. the only thing slowing down it's acceptance into mainstream are trolls and useless goiders showing up to post some mindless doubt, despite the fact that many of them have never even grown with a traditional lighting schedule, let alone 12-1...i liken you fools to the religious following back in the dark ages, doing whatever they can to slow progress because their minds are too small to see any other viewpoint but their own or the generally accepted one.

GanjaPharma

did my first 12-1 veg cycle 9 months back on a small (2kw) veg room. was impressed by the denser inter-nodal growth, and how quickly the girls transitioned into flowering.
first whole room (10kw room) was about 6 months ago, and am about to harvest my third crop since starting the 12-1 veg.
without exception (i have run about 20 strains so far) every plant has shown faster flowering transition, and tighter spacing/denser larger colas. no herms, and a few that i am very familiar with are indeed done a week or more earlier.

oh, and the $400 electric vs the usual $700/month veg bill is an added bonus.

some final observations, that i wasnt aware of at first.
because i run side by side veg/flowering rooms there is only one hour out of the day that there is potential for a pinhole light leak.

i have another grow that uses a 12 light flip to do 2 6kw rooms. i plan on using one of the rooms for a veg room now, and mounting a bank of floros (on an independent timer) to do the "1 hour on" that way i can run a flowering room and a veg room off of the same ballasts.

O

OrganicOzarks

So I took the girls 70 days. This technique did not cut any time off, but I did see a noticeable difference in the electric bill, and it yielded on the higher end of what I normally get. Overall the buds were larger than normal. The frost level was higher, and the smell was more pronounced than usual. Freshly dried they already smell like they have been jarred for weeks.

There is a learning curve to this I believe. As when I flipped to flower there was no stretch. That is what I equate the lower than expected yield to. The plants maybe stretched a couple of inches instead of doubling. That being said with plants half the size as usual, and still getting a "on the high end yield" I would guess with the right veg time I could get very high yields.

I have had some other plants in this cycle, and it seems that this is ideal for sativa dominant plants. Not so much for indica dominant plants. I actually don't think that I would do this for indica dominant plants that already have a short grow cycle.

I really like to grow sativas. They are my favorite. I don't really like to be tired all day. So I am glad that I came across this technique because I think that I can get higher yields with less electricity once I practice a little more.

All in all I think this lighting cycle has it's place in growing cannabis. I don't think it is for every strain, and I don't think it is for every grow style. But for all of the Sativa heads I think this could really help out. I am going to continue to experiment with this light cycle with my sativa/sativa dominant strains. Even if you get the same yield, but see a difference on the electric bill this is a winning technique for sativas. I believe that with this lighting technique it would be more cost effective to grow sativas, and thus we could see more sativas on the market.

But don't believe a word I have said, and do it for yourself! Experimenting is half of the fun. :)

Have any studies been done on non 24/hr based light cycles? After reading this thread I got what may be a crazy stoner idea, or a stroke of genius, I dunno. For the past few days I have 5 vegging plants on 12/5. 12 on 5 off 12 on 5 off. It's not as hard as I thought, just have to flip the switches on the dial when I'm there and I can't leave them for more than 22 hr's. This is with a rotary timer, if one was using a weekly programmable timer it would be a once a week scenario.

I'm not in a position where I can do a side x side yet, or even be able to compare it to a previous grow. But it would be sweet if someone did a side x side, multi strain 18/6, 12/1, 12/5 comparo

eyes

Veteran
im doing the advanced schedule here. instead of the hid kicking on for the 1 hr interuption, im using a 23 watt 5000 k fluorescent. everything staying in veg,no preflowers. not as far as the degree of growth, im sure that since its not 18hrs, it will be a bit longer to achieve the results needed. but, in retrospect,yes, u can use this schedule without ill effect. unless of course its matuska thunderfuck which in my experience, preflowered under 18 hrs of light. but hey, all strains arent perfect.

greenduck

looks like sativa's like like this 12/1 method more.
after reading this, i may switch my flower room to 11hr/13. if i change my veg ill try 17/7....and maybe the last week of veg ill try the 12-1 cycle to help initiate the hormones for growth as OrganicOzarks and others have mentioned. call me strange but i can see the last week or 2 using the 12-1 cycle being better to try at first incase you notice some flowering you dont have to stress the plants out and bring back the 18-6. hmmm, its worth a try i think, that with the LUCAS formula combination im doing now my help those stretchy strains to stay squat.

S

sanvanalona

I like that there is a differentiation between sativa and indica leaning hybrids, there are so many things I have noticed lately in terms of training and the effects on indica and sativa hybrids and just how much different stuff they like. I have been very curious about this method of the 12-1 lighting and am going to try a side by side with some sour d plants, just to see if it will affect them and have similar results. squat diesel would be a dream come true

If anyone cares to know the science behind why this works, follow this link, and read the 'Hourglass Model' section.. If you're interested in more, research more into Photoperiodism, SDP(short day plants) pfr and pr ..It really is interesting stuff and not overly difficult to grasp.. Also read the Phytochrome section right before it for background. But the Hourglass model is specifically what makes this 12/1 thing work. You'll probably notice from reading it that 1 hour isn't really needed and technically just a brief flash of light is needed.. But that 1 hour is certainly going to cover your ass to ensure the phytochrome converts back to the veg version.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/P/Photoperiodism.html

BB

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
And this snippet bears repeating!

"An intense exposure to far red light at the start of the night reduces the dark requirement by 2 hours (E)."

This, in my experience, is true.

Incandescent "black lights" are an excellent source of Far red.

Aloha,
Weeze

Attachments

• black light graph.jpg
    black light graph.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 35
Weezard, I missed that part of that article. And if that same technique applies to MJ, you could hit it with far red light at the beginning, cut off those 2 hours of light, and potentially have a lighting cycle that is 22 hours long instead of 24 hours long (You'd need a software-programmable DDC-type system to program it but that's not a big deal). This would give you a full month a year extra to squeeze in half of another growing cycle.. That's a pretty big deal if you run a substantial sized operation.. The one thing I'm not sure about though is if the disruption of the plants natural circadian rhythms would cause hermie issues since you're on a 22-days cycle instead of a 24.. That'd be fun to experiment with, though..

BB

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Great thread.
And another experiment that i will run with my sativas in a near future.
I will post results here when the time comes.
Thanks to all involved in trying new methods and concepts, bravo!

SourPurp

me too

me too

I actually started cutting my veg lighting way back about 2 weeks before I read Joe's article and thought it was pretty funny that I had thought of it beforehand...i've never seen plants go into flowering so fast in my life. Never will I grow with 18 or 24 hours of veg light again. The plants build up so much flowering hormone before actually putting them into flowrer that when you finally do, they immediately start. Cuts 1-2 weeks off flower cycle time. Fucking amazing. Haven't had a chance to analyze whether yield has improved. My 8 week strains look like they been flowering 5 weeks but it's only been three, I'm blown away...

Mr.Gr33n

i have always loved the sativa plants, but dont have the head hight for em,
If this stops the usual 2x 3x stretch of flower,

it might just be what i need

Latest posts

Latest posts