What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/1 lighting--Any truth or banana in the tail pipe?

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
robertfaceplant what cultivars are you running?

hindu kush

"What kind of light are you running?"

cfl

"Some growers have reported having cultivars that go into almost full flowering mode under the 12-5.5 cycle."

pistols are very long

so where do i add light longer time?

I added 30 minutes onto my big light so 12.5-5-1.5-5.5 and another 30 onto my fluorescent. So far that is giving me enough pre-flowers to determine gender. Nothing alarming. Having long pistils is no big deal. That will also vary from cultivar to cultivar. Like people; some hairy, some not as much.

woogille

im trying for 4 days now to find any "side by side" experiment of that method agains regular light schedule, and i cannot.

can anyone point me to a like for that kind of experiment ?

also - any strickt conclusions on this method ?
some say it triples the harvest, some say it'll cause plants to go hermis...
whats going on ?

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Prob not any side by sides.
It saves on heat and power.
Many things can cause hermi's. May or may not be lights. Just sayin
Triple the harvest? I wish

Coconutz

Veteran
I didnt have very good luck taking clones from plants very far into flower.
They didnt seem to want to veg under 12/2 and when I changed to 18/6 they revegged & were shooting single leaves.
I had to throw a few into flower and they budded right away without stretching or branching.
Luckily Im just trying to get perpetual and it didnt fuck my entire room, but Im gonna have to veg an extra week or so to make sure that I get the full stretch now that they are back into veg.
Fingers crossed

Granger2

Veteran
Been using 12-2, followed by 12-1 for 2 years, multiple strains, not 1 hermie. I doubt that there is a difference in yield up or down. Triple?...my ass. -granger

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I put my rooted clones under 12/2 to grow them as mothers and I have to say they didn't do too well and were showing preflowers ( all fems). Now under 18/6 and they look better every day.
I had some PH swings in the beginning though, so I can't say 100% it came from the light. But my feeling is it did...
For vegging bigger plants I never had a problem with 12/2 though...

julkop01

GLR works. On other forums also. I'm actually more interested in diminishing light schedules in veg also. Has anyone tried it? Some outdoor grower compared the growth of 2 plants: one planted when the days were getting longer and one after days were getting shorter and the latter one grew much faster. I think the plant is constantly measuring the lenghts of the nights and puts on a turbo switch when days are getting shorter. Let's say you start growing with 16/8 (yes, 16/8) and you diminish 30 minutes every week, you would finish most strains in 16 weeks. A side by side with diminishing schedule and 2monthveg+2monthflower would be something really interesting me thinks.

Granger2

Veteran
I believe you're right about turbo. I would really be interested in a side by side, but I'm not set up for it. Good luck. -granger

T

Taviddude

Why not just run a few CFL's during the lights out portion of the GLR? Seems it would be simple enough. Plants would take it as heavy clouds, or perhaps a storm. You would use a lot less energy using 3-4 cfl's for the other 12 hours than you would blazing a 1000 watter for an hour to keep them from flowering.

What's the point?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Why not just run a few CFL's during the lights out portion of the GLR? Seems it would be simple enough. Plants would take it as heavy clouds, or perhaps a storm. You would use a lot less energy using 3-4 cfl's for the other 12 hours than you would blazing a 1000 watter for an hour to keep them from flowering.

What's the point?

Not even necessary to use the CFL the whole night long, already a weak light for a few minutes every 3 hours (depending on the plant species it's between 2 and 4 hours, cannabis hasn't been scientifically investigated though) resets the 'internal night sensor' and not only keeps the plants from flowering (once 15 minutes in the dead middle of the night would suffice) but also from stretching due to completely omitting the shade avoidance response (there, the 2 to 4 hours are more important than for flowering) ;) . I used a 10 W LED on roughly a half square meter for 15 minutes every 3 hours and it worked nicely. On the other hand, I also observed a noticeable stretch the nights where I forgot the LED.

Miraculous Meds

12/1 for seedlings

12/1 for seedlings

Im giving the 12/1 lighting a go for my seed runs. the goal is to keep them short and sex early as possible before tp'ing and cloning. Im just a week or so in, but I will keep u guys updated as to how the sexing is coming with 12/1. Of course any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

Malarkey

Only thing i think you can improve on is what time in the dark period to flash the lights on mid point, 2-3 hours before the end of the dark cycle or flash 3 hours after 12 hours on

So ive been using this schedule for 2 complete grows.

first grow i used the 12-1 for veg. Works really well, plants bush up nicely, i didnt notice any slowing of growth.
The i went straight to 6-18. This didnt give me great results on the yield side but rather on the trich side. My buds were full full of trichs, but they were very small.
I put this to the rapid decrease in light hours making the plant stretch and make smaller buds.

My second grow still happening: 12-1 for veg, i vegged them for about 6 weeks to get nice size, then when i changed over i went to 12-12 for 2 weeks then 11-13 for 2 weeks and now on 10-14. This way my buds have swelled great and are also covered in sugar.
Ill post some pics asap.

But yea so far so good on the 12-1

Latest posts

Latest posts