What's new

10x10 Intake/Exhaust plan.....What do yall think? posiprops for help!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Finally almost half way done setting up my room, i wanna run my air flow plans by you guys first since your advice has been so valuable in the past. If im doing anything newb or wrong PLEASE TELL ME! i will be dishing posi props out to all that help like i always do!

Basically my room is a 10x10, non sealed bedroom, running around 4-5k in lights. I want to run an intake/exhaust basic air circulation setup. Here is a picture of what i have planned...a 6-8inch 500 CFM fan with filter for intake, divided by a Y-pipe into two duct channels to supply air to the room.

Most importantly is the exhaust, i want to keep my humidity down. Il be running it in tandem with a dehumidifier and a 12k btu portable AC. I have exhaust running through an 8in fan capable of 800 CFM so it will fully change the air in the room very quickly, the air gets vented into my basement crawlspace and no carbon filters needed for now..for the hoods i will have oscillating fans aimed at each hood to keep the heat down..

airflow.jpg

My main questions are

1) is an 8in 800 CFM fan adequate to exhaust a 10x10 room

2) i know some people dont run intake, and just use negative pressure, but i want to have some nice cold air coming into the room since the laundry room is always nice and cold. the laundry room is also kind of close to my bedroom so id like the noise to be as low as possible...so thats why looking at a smaller less noisy fan.

my friend is running two 10x10 bedrooms with 5-7k each in lights and he has no AC. but he uses 12inch fans and ducting...he never has temp problems even during the summer..keep in mind we are in Oakland bay area where 80 degrees days are rare. do i need to go with 12inch or will 8 inch work?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
go for the gold and get a 12"vortex for exhaust, you can always use a speed regulator if its too much, but if you buy smaller you cant boost a smaller fan if its too little...

as for the setup, exhaust id always more important than intake, i would do a single 10" intake with a 8-10" 500-800 cfm fan and use a reducer if you plan on using the 8" fan with 10" ducting, and do a double exhaust with a 12" vortex 1400cfm....and if this was too much then use a fan speed regulator

i would also make your intake from the crawl space and exhaust to the laundry room, crawlspaces will have fresh cold air because they are ventilated, and heat rises so it would be more efficient to run your exhaust up high and your intake down low

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
thanks for your plan....yea i forgot about using a speed regulator, also gonna have to hook one of those up so i can my intake fan at lower rpm. isnt the 12 inch kind of overkill? some of them are 600 bucks...the inline is 400...whats the good one.

the reason i wanted to use the laundry room as intake is because theres a window in there going to my porch and it has the freshest coldest air. the crawlspace is confined with no airflow and is full of dust and god knows what else....

but now that you mentioned it...im gonna think about it. a 12 inch exhaust to the laundry room would make the noise levels inside the house at minimum. it would just be noisy in the grow room. then put the intake fan and filter in the crawlspace....i gotta think about somethings.

also whats a double exhaust...you mean use two fans or just one fan with a Y pipe..

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i meant just one fan for exhaust and a Y pipe splitting it.

the reason for this is less air resistance, and having 2 exhuast vents that are NOT side by side would evac the air in your room more efficiently....but if that means buying 2 can filters then it might not be worth it....

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i meant just one fan for exhaust and a Y pipe splitting it.

the reason for this is less air resistance, and having 2 exhuast vents that are NOT side by side would evac the air in your room more efficiently....but if that means buying 2 can filters then it might not be worth it....

Satans pal

Just as a thought, Joe puts up some real good info, but I had thought that you wanted to vent to the crawl space for smell as well. If you vent to the laundry room will it stink your house or will you need a scrubber then? Will definitely be curious to see pics when you get it going, Good luck, SP

B

Bob Smith

Joe's right, you're gonna want to have your exhaust up top and the intake down below.

You're gonna want to go bigger on that exhaust fan because:

1) exchanging air <1x per minute (assuming 8' ceilings, your area is 800 cubic feet), IMO, is insufficient
2) you're going to QUICKLY realize that a filter is needed (stench doesn't just disappear, and running 4-5K will stink up your block with a quickness, no matter where you're exhausting the air to), and that's gonna cut down on your CFMs from your exhaust fan
3) with a properly sized exhaust fan an intake fan is not needed, so get a 10-12" exhaust with the money you've saved from not purchasing an intake fan

I don't really understand what your plan is with running intake/exhaust and an AC - if your temps are mild enough to do intake/exhaust, the AC is not necessary; in addition, if you plan on running that AC for any length of time, you're going to have to supplement with CO2, which is gonna be a lot more $ for initial setup.

FWIW, if you're planning on running a dehuey and an AC, why not just supplement with CO2 and seal it up? With the money you're saving on exhaust fans, you could easily buy a Sentinel CHHC-4 and some CO2 tanks/generator.

Just my $.02

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^nice man giving me some things to think about....i havent done much research on sealed rooms...i cant install a mini split or window AC so i have to get portable, and from what i hear portables arent good enough for a sealed room.

your right i dont think i will need the AC, its just for backup in case we have one of those 80 degrees days. like i said my friend has a 5k room and just uses a 12inch exhaust with a huge filter and a 12inch intake and his rooms are always good.

so i guess we will do the 12inch exhaust and add on a filter to that just to be safe....thats gonna run me a nice 1k.

i still kind of want some intake to bring in that cold laundry room air to blow over some of the hoods with the Y pipe....but i guess we will install exhaust first, run about 2-3k in lights and see how things work.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
what do yall think about the 12in Can Fan combo i see online for 649.99

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg#
Can Filter 898 CFM, 150 Can Filter/12" Can Fan Combo

Overview - Online stores - Details

EVWdYH3F9PJsnQ-ZtO7hi-dQSVPJHRsKh4f19f0drpqAU0KLnG_fBdo1c22nADge6rdV74mUDKRQq_xEgWe2BKXx10HePlu9FkTO29Gn6xODx7XD4bGR1E1t5sIpzg8AjJz-CssOtlp8Q5KhS61CYrCWcdXKkw

$715 online
The fan/filter combo removes odor and purifies air by sucking the air in the room through the carbon filter and expelling it out of the room. (Rooms 20 x 20 x 8 & Under).

Hey so would the exhaust filter still be in the room, then the ducting runs outside to the fan? damn having a brain fart....my friend has this huge filter inside the room and the ducting runs downstairs from what i saw...cant remember where he put the fan. might have to hit him up..

A

AGPUMPKIN

what do yall think about the 12in Can Fan combo i see online for 649.99

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg#

Overview - Online stores - Details

EVWdYH3F9PJsnQ-ZtO7hi-dQSVPJHRsKh4f19f0drpqAU0KLnG_fBdo1c22nADge6rdV74mUDKRQq_xEgWe2BKXx10HePlu9FkTO29Gn6xODx7XD4bGR1E1t5sIpzg8AjJz-CssOtlp8Q5KhS61CYrCWcdXKkw

$715 online
The fan/filter combo removes odor and purifies air by sucking the air in the room through the carbon filter and expelling it out of the room. (Rooms 20 x 20 x 8 & Under).

Hey so would the exhaust filter still be in the room, then the ducting runs outside to the fan? damn having a brain fart....my friend has this huge filter inside the room and the ducting runs downstairs from what i saw...cant remember where he put the fan. might have to hit him up..

I'd buy a couple of these. http://www.amazon.com/Hydropronic-I...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1290806880&sr=8-1

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
theres also the option of useing a couple smaller fans and filters for exhaust, like this

8" 600CFM Exhaust Fan and Carbon Filter

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-600CFM-Hydrop...998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c17605ede

although its only 600 cfm, if you had 2 of these would be 1200 cfm, and 3 of these it would amount to 1800 cfm exhaust

have them split into one main exhaust line that is 12"

and the fact of having more filters to scrub the air makes the system that much more efficient for scrubbing the air

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
haha wow 660 bucks for a fan phew....got some things to think about.

i kinda like the double ebay 8 inch fan idea...how do i run 12in ducting on an 8in fan? sorry i must be missing something.

mdk ktm

I would get 2 8" fans and 1 big carbon filter with a Y on it. mounted to the ceiling. Have the fans pulling through the filter and pushing through the lights and out the room. Maybe on a speed controller.... And probably a big dayton blower for an intake if it would work for your room. Its all about what works for you. And your laundry room is colder than your basement?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea the laundry room is nice and cold because the door there has a good draft. the basement isnt a basement more of a tiny crawlspace under the house, no air circulation lots of dust and debris...ugly.

sorry for my newbness..but the exhaust filter goes in the grow room correct? thanks alot joe fresh for the diagram!

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
I would get 2 8" fans and 1 big carbon filter with a Y on it. mounted to the ceiling. Have the fans pulling through the filter and pushing through the lights and out the room. Maybe on a speed controller.... And probably a big dayton blower for an intake if it would work for your room. Its all about what works for you. And your laundry room is colder than your basement?

THE DIFFERENCE IS THE SINGLE HOLE(ONE SCRUBBER) AND 2 FANS IS INEFFIFIENT, NO MATTER WHAT YOU WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO PULL MAX AIR THROUGH A GIVEN HOLE SIZE. BY USING BOTH FANS TO PULL THE AIR THROUGH THE SINGLE HOLE(AND SCRUBBER) THERE WILL BE ADDED RESISTANCE.

THE WAY DRAWN ABOVE IS THE MOST EFFICIENT WAY TO SET IT UP.

IN LARGE COMMERCIAL GROWS THEY MAY HAVE UP TO 5 SCRUBBERS, ONE FAN PER SCRUBBER, BUT THEY ALL DUMP THEIR AIR IN THE SAME EXHAUST VENT.

BY HAVING THE 2 SCRUBBERS AND A FAN ON EACH, THEN BEING PUSHED INTO A LARGER DUCT, THERE IS MINIMUM RESISTANCE, AND YOU GET THE FULL BENEFIT OF BOTH FANS AND BOTH SCRUBBERS(EX;700 CFM X 2= 1400CFM)...

AND YES FILTER IN THE GROW ROOM.....

PS...IM NOT YELLING OR ANGRY...I NOTICED I WAS IN CAPS LOCK HALF WAY THROUGH, FIGURED ID FINISH IT OUT...LOL

mdk ktm

Makes sense Joe, Im using 2 8" each with a can 100 or 75 I cant remember. I was just throwing that idea out there to see, I was thinking the fans might be fighting each other for air.... I have a 10x10 room going right now and hanging 2 big filters and all the ducting and all the shit, its crowded with 4kw and there isn't much space to move around. I wouldn't want to throw another 1k in there. BUT, I don't know your specific grow room. I think the 2 8" fans would work best with 2 filters then, it would just cost more money.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
FOR SURE ITS ALL ABOUT BUDGET...AND IF YOUR BUDGET CAN ONLY AFFORD ONE FILTER ECT THEN DO WHAT YOU CAN....BUT THE LINK I POSTED EARLIER HAS A FILTER AND 8" FAN FOR 180$....GETTING 2 OF THOSE IS CHEAPER THAN GETTING ONE BIG FILTER AND FAN....AND MORE EFFICIENT

I HATE SETTING UP AND THEN A FEW WEEKS LATER UPGRADING EQUIPMENT, THEN HAVING THE OLD EQUIPMENT SIT THERE USELESS....I LIKE TO TRY AND GET IT DONE THE FIRST TIME

mdk ktm

FOR SURE ITS ALL ABOUT BUDGET...AND IF YOUR BUDGET CAN ONLY AFFORD ONE FILTER ECT THEN DO WHAT YOU CAN....BUT THE LINK I POSTED EARLIER HAS A FILTER AND 8" FAN FOR 180$....GETTING 2 OF THOSE IS CHEAPER THAN GETTING ONE BIG FILTER AND FAN....AND MORE EFFICIENT

I HATE SETTING UP AND THEN A FEW WEEKS LATER UPGRADING EQUIPMENT, THEN HAVING THE OLD EQUIPMENT SIT THERE USELESS....I LIKE TO TRY AND GET IT DONE THE FIRST TIME

180? damn that's cheap. If you have a safe addy that's the way to go no doubt. My 8" combo had to be at least 300 each, maybe 400. My hydro shop is a fucking rip-off! But I like to cash and carry, no trail to follow....

Latest posts

Latest posts