What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100 gallon smart pot? or 200??

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the key is to feed heavy early on and foilar feed. once youve gotten to the point of "catch-up", its too late for higher yields. they will need water more frequently than in a larger pot. cant ever let em wilt either. ive seen it and done it and 10# is possible with certain strains.

no pics for you, doubting Thomas. lol

How early do you start vegging?

If I had total control over my situation (and soon will) I would start seed mid December indoors under HID's for a 2-3 month's veg, then move to the smarties ....

Lochinvar

i start end of march and plant outside end of may. they are between 3and4 feet tall end of may. usually i plant my smaller plants in the 200s and average 5-6 a piece.. put a larger sativa hybrid in there and more is possible.

CrushnYuba

I have seen some big ass plants in 100s and 150s. It's just hard to keep a big plant healthy in a small pot when it gets big. Also, plants don't naturally want to grow much wider then their roots so allot more training is needed.
I also don't like plants getting lost in huge pots. I really like 300s. I don't see allot of guys going with 1000s anymore.

marmarb

I'm looking at putting out 25 100g pots gonna be guerrilla style. Is it possible to just amend the same circumference in ground rather than using safe a fabric pot would save alot of backaches trying to lug 100 bales of peatmoss into the sticks

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Whether you go with big pots or holes in the ground, always remember:

Wider is always better than deeper...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just go in the ground. Pots will need water every day or two. And LOTS of it.

Prep your spot 1st or 2nd week in May. It's a lot of work so spread it out over several days if you can.

Get a string trimmer with a killer blade. But a good string will do. I use an cordless trimmer because it's quiet and can clear down to the dirt.
picture.php

Leave your trimmer on site and just haul fresh batteries. You'll be trimming weeds between your plants. Start at one end and work your way to the other. Take 2 weeks off, and start over.

I dig my holes with a modified Ice Auger on my cordless drill and put in 5 holes per plant. You can really mess it up underground too by digging sideways. Do 10 holes and use a shovel after to really get down and wide if you like. The better the hole, the better the plant.
picture.php

picture.php

Once you have your holes, use heat released fertilizer (very high N will release mid June), and Water Crystals in your holes or you'll regret it in the dry season. Put this shit in when you prep your holes in May so your water chrystals can take up water when it rains. One good rainfall should fill them up for you.
picture.php

You might want to throw in a bit of MYKE in your holes too.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...orrhizae-vegetable-herb-1-liter-myke_600x.jpg

I use this drill pump to water from a pond. It's slow but it works. (Bring a couple extra batteries.)
picture.php

Again you might need a gas powered pump.

Lastly, haul in a few bails of PromixHP or those giant Perlite bags to mix in your holes.

Lastly #2, if you don't cage your plants, you'll lose 85%.

Lastly #3, prepare you GF because you're going to be busy. lol

A Gorilla Wagon would be handy. I haul the heavy stuff in on a snowmobile in winter because I work alone and I'm not 20 years old anymore.

Gorilla growing isn't all beer and skittles.

Good luck!

CrushnYuba

Forget what i said.
If you are doing gorilla, i wouldn't do smart pots. Or fill with crazy potting soil. It just wouldn't be worth it. Just amend it and throw some plants in. Look at how gorilla guys like tycho do it.

Growing large plants in large containers is for easily accessible private property. You need to be able to get a truck at the very least there. I won't even do it without a tractor. Forget about lugging shit. You need to have a good water source. You need a generator or solar pump system. They will need like 20 gal per plant, per day. Big plants need support. You need big ass cages or 12 foot t posts and a load of trellis. You got to be there allot. It can't be hard too get to. Svc it don't hurt to have a Mediterranean climate.

There's a reason no gorilla guys are growing huge plants in huge pots.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
There's a reason gorilla growers won't grow 5 pounders at all. If you want to do it, just do one big fucker in a well prepared mound. 2 plants will take up ALL your time because you have to top the shit out of them if you want to get to 5lbs.

If you're looking for bulk, just plant more, with only a couple visits during the growing season. I plant lots. And I mean lots. Way more than I can ever harvest. I get about 3/4-1 pound per plant. At harvest, I go through like a hurricane and grab all the tops and big colas and leave the rest. Once I'm done processing it and get it to the drying stage stage, I go back for round two. I keep going back until the snow flies.

50 normal plants (half auto, half photoperiod) in the ground is a lot of fucking work (and weed) and will keep you hopping until christmas and you'll be happy it's over.

The most important thing you can do is PLAN. So start now. Work it out on paper. No plan=Failure. Plan your time and work from popping seeds, growing seedlings, prepping your site, transporting seedlings and tools, site maintenance and string trimming, everything you can think of. Visualize your plan, and go over it and modify or correct it until you have it nailed down. Then go over it again.

Without a plan, you won't have a good harvest and you'll have ZERO time for living your personal life and miss the summer.

Lastly, SHUT YOUR MOUTH. Don't tell a soul. Not even your best friend. Gorilla growers can keep a lid on it. Tell one person and the cops will take away your gorilla card and decoder ring, or someone WILL rip your plants. Guaranteed. If you need an ego boost because you're rocking it, come to ICMag and brag away with lots of pictures. We'll cheer you on. That's how we roll.

Latest posts

Latest posts