What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

h.h.

Veteran
Don't know if anyone has said this yet but i must say, please use untreated timber! Especially if contacting the brew/solution. I love the knowledge you guys put forward, setups look great. My next batch im going to use herbs and native "weeds" that grow wild in and around the vineyard im managing. Ideally research each plant for its compositions and chop into pieces as dry matter for the tea. Im considering a long water extraction (soak) and then brewing aact style. Im indecisive on weather I do an anaerobic brew with EM instead of the soaking. Any thoights are much appreciated.
If I let my water sit before brewing, I will usually have something soaking in it. I can't say if it added anything to the ACT. I can't say if it didn't have any negative effects.
I did it mostly for chlorine, though I did try to be selective.
I wouldn't hesitate to repeat the process.
I would consider doing an em fermentation with the dried leaves, as well, but seperatly, not both EM and ACT together.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, add me to the list of people who spent the 10 bucks to build an airlift.

Reused some parts from my hydro days, mainly air pumps, tubing, and a bucket.

Took about an hour with farting around before I fired it up to listen to the dulcet gurgling noises.

I think this will work short term. But I see myself building a larger vortex brewer in the near future so I can water all my outdoor plants and maybe even my lawn.

h.h.

Veteran
Its not really a 5 gallon brewer, its a 500 gallon per year brewer.
That might be plenty for most yards.

bigbadbiddy

Just wanted to chime in and let people know that I am another believer in this.

Just finished my first clones, 100%. And they were monstercropped, too. Cut the clones in week 3 or 4 of flower.

The main issue I faced with this was to get a suitable tub to house the cloner.
Almost all suitable totes were clear/see through which doesn't work for this.

Finally found one, after looooong searching, from ikea that was gray/black and sturdy enough.
Still got a few breaks in the cover when I drilled in the holes for the neoprene plugs. Fixed them with silicone, all good.

The biggest issue I had was to get the cover of the tote to seal and not let all the water through when the pump is running.
Took me weeks to get it sealed...
Tried several methods, in the end I just put a thick sausage of silicone on the brim of the tote and pushed the cover on top. Let it dry out and checked.
Had to do that 3 times until it finally was sealed and the water didn't come out while running the pump.

But now it is sealed.
First clones (again, monstercropped/cut in flower) showed roots after about 2 weeks. There were 2 clones I wasn't sure were going to root, was expecting at least a few of them wouldn't root.
But even the 2 stragglers were rooted by middle/end of week 2.
Let them go a whole 3 weeks in the end and had 100% healthy, strong roots.
I had clones in rockwool cubes going at the same time. Here I had around 70-80% cloning success. But the clones looked super sickly, dried out incredibly fast etc.
No comparison with the clones from the aero cloner, they were completely healthy, almost no yellowing, nearly like the day they got chopped off their donor plant, just with roots.

Really awesome tech and I don't see a reason to clone any other way.

Thank you to all the people who came up with this and shared it with the community.

Good stuff folks.

bigbadbiddy

Wasn't me, I swear.

Was the bud talking xD

I thought we are in the 10$ DIY aero cloner thread xD

Was just so happy with the results and a bit high obviously and confused the threads and babbled on.

Rofl, my bad folks.

Question now is do I edit it out, delete it, ask for mods to move it or just leave it as is for comedic value and purpose of confusion? :D

All the best

BBB

h.h.

Veteran
These threads peter out after the first few pages anyway.
Let it ride. Try not to drift too far.
Rip tide warnings in effect.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, add me to the list of people who spent the 10 bucks to build an airlift.

Reused some parts from my hydro days, mainly air pumps, tubing, and a bucket.

Took about an hour with farting around before I fired it up to listen to the dulcet gurgling noises.

I think this will work short term. But I see myself building a larger vortex brewer in the near future so I can water all my outdoor plants and maybe even my lawn.
Started my first tea tonight.

Couple of cups of juice from my worm farm mixed with 4 and a half gallons of RO water. Added 2 Tablespoons of Williams Organic Wonder, 2 Tablespoons of blackstrap molasses, and a bit of bio char.

Rico Swazi

Started my first tea tonight.

Couple of cups of juice from my worm farm mixed with 4 and a half gallons of RO water. Added 2 Tablespoons of Williams Organic Wonder, 2 Tablespoons of blackstrap molasses, and a bit of bio char.
Did you mean WOW Wallace Organic Wonder Brew? Too funny. If so, how did your tea turn out? Did you get your vortex up and running? The more BSM you use, the harder it is to reach optimum O2 levels. I used 1 per 4 gal brew for years with no complaints from the microbe or the plants.

Heady Blunts, hope you are well these days and a thank you for this great thread. It has inspired many people to try their hand at the concept of microbial extrapolation
biggrin.gif

I've graduated to 30 gal brews over the years but will always have a fiver ready to show the neighbors what can be done for just a few bucks. Thanks again to Heady and others who contributed.

Rico Swazi

I get it, its my join date. I can explain that.
I had first joined in 2008 then deleted my account during the exodus to TSD somewhere around 2012 or so.
I didn't post much either place at the time, but learned a tonne from threads like this.

Embarrassed to show but here is my 1st attempt at a diy brewer
Pics taken today

picture.php

Bought the two aquarium pumps at a thrift store for five bucks (2.50 ea)

The threaded pvc pipe was the same thread as an aluminum light reflector from a clamp light.
I cut it down to get closer to the bottom and opened up one side for 'flow'.

picture.php

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you mean WOW Wallace Organic Wonder Brew? Too funny. If so, how did your tea turn out? Did you get your vortex up and running? The more BSM you use, the harder it is to reach optimum O2 levels. I used 1 per 4 gal brew for years with no complaints from the microbe or the plants.

Nope. Wiliams Organic Wonder Premium Mycorrhizal Inoculant. On the package it says you can brew it in with your tea. So I did.:biggrin:

No vortex brewer yet. That won't happen for a while. Too many other projects to work on before starting another.

Rico Swazi

Nope. Wiliams Organic Wonder Premium Mycorrhizal Inoculant. On the package it says you can brew it in with your tea. So I did.:biggrin:

No vortex brewer yet. That won't happen for a while. Too many other projects to work on before starting another.

Mycorrhizal Inoculant in a tea?

When did that happen to be a good thing?
someone help me as I'm lost

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I presume you mean Wallace myc. It is actually produced by RTI. There are a few myc products made by them.

Rico Swazi

Thanks for the clarification Microbeman
marketing efforts to sell more of these products is intense

Got Bud? I smoked williams wonder to celebrate the recent equinox with a friend which is why I thought it a bit funny.

Rico Swazi

That was actually for your benefit,

I knew the answer of why it is a waste of money to add myc to a brew
for some reason (my join date possibly) my advise is not taken seriously

so I used the phrase " I'm lost" to call in the calvary, MM also believes it is Wallace myc that you are referring to and not williams. Post a pic of that williams product if you can. I can not find it anywhere. Curious if it is something new on the market.

My point -

You can buy store products and use what you want but it wont make compost tea.
Mature quality [V]compost does that and IMHO, compost is what people new to organics should focus their attention on .
Not some product with unknown ingredients.
:tiphat:

[k2]

Builds own tank design with a conical bottom.
Tank size 12 gallons. Pump 65 W 100 l / min.
air connected to a vertical pipe.
Replaces white Plexiglas pipes.

testing soon

[k2]

I need to change the vertical pipe and connect the air hose.
The diameter of the pipe is 1.75-2 ".
Works great, but the air pump must have more power than recommended by MM

Latest posts

Latest posts