What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

Yeah that's what I meant, a crap load of extra ingredients that are functioning as a direct fertilizer and not actually helping nor contributing to the actual development of the beneficial bacteria and microbes and fungi wanted. I first learned of aact from those two on youtube and started reading into it. There's many different opinions on this topic and some are misleading. I have found your site, microbe organics through one of the links on ic and found you explained your views very well and with plenty of evidence and I am presently using your recipe's and suggested quantities with positive effects so far.

I was wondering if azomite in very tiny quantity would be something that could possibly help multiply bacteria and microbes? Just wondering because of all the trace nutrients and elements could be helpful for these organisms? I bought a container of Bio-Rock, it's azomite but made from a local organic fertiliser production company and in the back of the box it says : will activate microbial life in your soil and compost, that's why I am asking, not trying to re invent the wheel just curious and I guess just starting to learn how things really work under the soil and trying to forget the whole npk myth and learn mother nature's advanced biological secrets.. And another member of ic sent me a link to something I did not yet know, and I was just curious to know what your views on bioinnoculants or micro teas are? Seems like a much more complicated process and costly equipment to make this and haven't heard too many others talking about micro teas... Seems very similar to growing mushrooms and innoculating sterile substrates or liquids, fermented molasses I think, with different strains of trichoderma or bacillus spores to create these bioinnoculants... A lot of sterile lab type of procedures where your success depends on your cleanliness and making sure you don't have any other competing contaminants and spores.. I apologize if I posted this in wrong thread.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Finished my first brew in the new 300 gallon brewer, wanted to thank Microbeman for all the help with the design, and the design itself being based on his brewer.

300 gallon cone bottom, Gast R3, 2 inch SCH 40 piping, a single 2 inch SCH 40 airlift, 1 1/4 inch SCH 40 airline from the Gast R3.

Added a few extra unions for easy cleaning. The brewer really chugs. I ended up having to strap the airlift down to keep it from jumping out of the tank.

First brew worked fantastic. Used Microbeman's formulas for the input. Kept it simple, compost, molasses, fish hydroslate. First day the shop reeked like molasses, about 24 hours in I could only lightly smell the fish. 36 hours in it smelled like great compost.

Anyways, thanks again MM.

Mr^^

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beware of information circulating on the Internet inferring that it is a bad idea to exclude the brass nipple from air pumps used for making airlifts. This info is bogus and is based on information from a hydro store hack from Mass. (New England Hydro) who said;
"The pump cannot handle the difference between the intake/output ratio if you eliminate the brass adapter"
Which makes zero sense in the realm of physical engineering.

If you don't know what you are talking about, do not talk.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
On the subject of John from growing greens, I've reached out to him several times over the past 4 or 5 years to help him understand what compost tea is really about. He has 100% ignored me. I guess there is no money in it for him.

john is a tool bro, let it go
been making teas for years now, but never did a foliar with them
why?
too lazy to strain and funnel

well i strained and funneled my most recent tea , along with a slice of aloe meat blended into a qt and made about half a gal of uncut aact/10 minute old aloe juice into my lil roundup sprayer and shot my wad as the lights went out

i
cant
beleive
it

cept it happened
my plants prayed, and went into a happydance
i gotta say, i read this is wht they did but was always skeptical of the hippy factor.
im no longer a doubter, the hippies were right

the aact foliar with fresh aloe is a serious boost for my plants that can be seen in hours

NENugger

First Attempt DIY ACT brewer, needs improvement

First Attempt DIY ACT brewer, needs improvement

Thanks for this thread and the versions presented. I made this based on everyone's previous work.
Here are some pics
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It works but have to use brass fitting cuz don't see how to attach hose otherwise. Flow isn't very strong.

Doesn't seem like it is made to connect to pump directly w/o fitting. Tried to just put hose on out put without nozzle but doesn't fit. How do you get around this? New fitting? bigger hose.
All suggestions welcomed.:tiphat:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it is not made to fit direct to the pump. i did remove the nipple though & use a small hose clamp to make it work ~which it works fine.

lol @ "The pump cannot handle the difference between the intake/output ratio if you eliminate the brass adapter"

w/ less resistance, the motor would just run cooler {which, since i run an airstone from one eco 1 w/ the brass nozzle in place & another eco 1 through the airlift w/ no brass nozzle, i have witnessed}

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the pump itself is all i'm using of the stuff in the pump box

i bought hose of the size which fits that protrusion on the pump. it's not ideal. but there's enough surface in my setup. you may find it doesn't work that way for you w/ the products you have to choose from?

good luck

SevenTreeFour

20180825_211535.jpg

Not sure why the images turned. But thank you none the less Heady Blunts. This is a great thead. Im grateful for your help! Not only is this a money saver... But im able to brew up stuff thats better for my plants than any bottle I could buy at the store. You da man for life.

DTOM420

I’m wanting to build a brewer but I’m wondering whether o can buy a pump that produces sufficient volume to do an air lift in a 30g barrel (day for 20-25 gallon brews) but also use it for a 5g bucket brewer? Now that I’m finished outside for the year, I only need small batches for my little indoor garden. I’d prefer to just buy 1 pump, if I can get away with it? Maybe that’d be too much air/water movement?

DTOM420

You can use the large pump for both. There is no such thing as too much air.

Thanks Microbeman! Could you recommend a good pump that's capable of working for a brewer up to 50 gallons; or what sort of CFM capacity I would need to look for? I'm planning to do an airlift brewer. I don't have power very near my outdoor garden so I may be trying to rig up a 12v system to run off car batteries with solar chargers - so I can brew right in the garden and, then, gravity feed to a drip system.

DTOM420

Man, thank you for the links and the info! Had some issues following some of the internal links in your article - I get warnings that the website is hacked and trying to steal data but I think I can get around the warning on my laptop. I get the same warning with the link you posted above but if I remove the ‘s’ in “https” it’ll work. Apparently it’s a security protocol. Just FYI.

The info is incredibly helpful! Thanks again, MM!

MedResearcher

Veteran
The tea recipe for nutrient cycling aact on Microbemans website is excellent as well.

I have always used a recipe that was close to it, maybe missing an input or two. Recently I have had everything on hand, and copied the recipe to the T. Such a great tea. The look, smell, and results are all stellar.

Big ups to Microbeman for sharing,
Mr^^

GreenVino

Don't know if anyone has said this yet but i must say, please use untreated timber! Especially if contacting the brew/solution. I love the knowledge you guys put forward, setups look great. My next batch im going to use herbs and native "weeds" that grow wild in and around the vineyard im managing. Ideally research each plant for its compositions and chop into pieces as dry matter for the tea. Im considering a long water extraction (soak) and then brewing aact style. Im indecisive on weather I do an anaerobic brew with EM instead of the soaking. Any thoights are much appreciated.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't know if anyone has said this yet but i must say, please use untreated timber! Especially if contacting the brew/solution. I love the knowledge you guys put forward, setups look great. My next batch im going to use herbs and native "weeds" that grow wild in and around the vineyard im managing. Ideally research each plant for its compositions and chop into pieces as dry matter for the tea. Im considering a long water extraction (soak) and then brewing aact style. Im indecisive on weather I do an anaerobic brew with EM instead of the soaking. Any thoights are much appreciated.

What you are discussing is not compost tea.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would it be beneficial to add an aquarium heater to a brewer if brewing in an area that typically has an ambient air temperature of 50 - 65 degrees year round?

My basement stays quite cool. I have a 50 gallon reservoir that is always 55-65 degrees, no matter the time of year.

Latest posts

Latest posts