What's new

10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

OrganicBuds

Veteran
What a total load of hoooey. $2800 for a 15 gal brewer?!

I built my 15 gal for around 300-400$ total. Not sure where the extra $2,000 goes. Maybe all those extra riser pumps cost an arm and a leg, lol. Funny thing is, my single riser home made brewer created just as good of a vortex, and to change the direction of my vortex I just spin my last fitting around. What ever floats your boat I guess.

J

jerry111165

I run a 15 gallon cone bottom (was building it and discussing in this same thread around a year ago at approximately the same time Bullfrog was building his - so thanks again to all) that is set up on a steel stand from Tank Depot dot com with a 72 ppm Alita pump (what a nice pump!)

This brewer is set up with the whole vortex airlift deal and works well. It should be a lifetime setup for around (yeah, I know, a bit expensive) $500.00

It certainly isn't $2,800.00 tho!

J

M

MrSterling

Jerry, thanks for the input! You've had a lot to offer in just the past couple days I've seen your posts. Great to see so many knowledgable people.

Sean Price

I use a hailiea 9730 air pump for the 10 gal. Brewer I just made. Its a 60lpm. Pump which I think is good past 30 gallon. Its definitely plenty for my small brewer.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Any reason a 55 gallon water/hydro drum would be bad for a brewer? It is made for water storage.

I would think it would work fine. Just try to make a diffuser that does not allow for dead water space. Just upsize a 5 gallon style homemade diffuser. That and get a big enough pump.....scrappy

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I was thinking maybe a double vortex brewer. I have two Commercial Ecco 5 pumps and I was thinking of getting a 40 gal garbage can/55 gal drum, and punching two holes with bulk head fittings and have two separate air lifts. Wife is gone this weekend so I might get crazy.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
It's not a bad idea to seek out the used drums that contained food vs. solvents, chemicals.

The resellers around here keep them segregated - a lot of people are setting up rain barrels so it's become the norm - it may not be that way in your area but more often than not the ones that I've seen will usually have the original shipping label attached stating what it contained.

CC

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking maybe a double vortex brewer. I have two Commercial Ecco 5 pumps and I was thinking of getting a 40 gal garbage can/55 gal drum, and punching two holes with bulk head fittings and have two separate air lifts. Wife is gone this weekend so I might get crazy.

My 50 gallon airlift just uses a 55 gallon plastic drum. Produces ACT as good or better than cone bottom without any exit hole at all.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Got a pic of it MM?

Right now I have two 6" air stone discs with a commercial ecco 5 brewing a ten gal brew just in a 30 gal garbage can. No special air lift or anything and it appears to be finishing up nicely. Bountea brews wont go in my cone bottom because it clogs the 1.25" pvc pipes.

Speaking of that MM, can I make an airlift with 2" pipes? I know 1.25 is best from your research, but what happened when you tried 2"? Only reason I ask is because I would imagine it would take a Bountea brew and all its Alaskan Humus.

What type of bulkhead fittings do you use? I couldn't find any at the Homer so I got a 2" floor drain used in showers. I figure if I silicone the shit out of it, it won't leak.

Any other advice before I try to make this MM?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I sent you an email. I would not use compost which plugs 1.25" pipe. Bigger pipe = bigger pump. I use a 95 CFM with 2 inch pipe.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Totally understand MM, I keep forgetting that you can't say anything specific due to lame TOU's of this site. Sorry to put you in that position. Thanks for answering what you could.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
MM and others - You don't think a double vortex would work any better than a 55 gal design? Now that I think about it, your brewer seems so much easier. I don't care how hard it is to build, but cleaning is an entirely different story.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought this is the better thread to mention that if you have a choice, when selecting a cone bottom tank for creating a bioreactor (compost tea brewer) that you are way better off getting one with most of the height taken up by fairly cylindrical walls and a fairly mild angle sloping to the exit hole.

This (IME) narrows the vortex, slowing down the 'suction' and provides a higher rate of dissolved oxygen. This is one reason the 5 gallon (cooler) water bottles like Dark used are so good.

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Any idea or pictures on DIY diffusers?

Maybe Microbeman will show his so we can make one perfect for our own application :)

Sharing knowledge is a noble thing to do :)

And microbeman has shared so much with us already :)