What's new

10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

rrog

Veteran
O2 is interesting as I recall. O2 in water solution can reach supersaturation a bit more readily due to a loose interaction with the water molecule. Not an actual chemical reaction. But if you smash a bit of O2 into water, it would like to stay there if conditions are right. Pretty sure that's accurate.

Regarding aerating pure water to fluff it up, I believe that works when leavening bread, but water does not behave that way. Dissolved gasses under remotely standard pressures and temperatures don't add volume to a solute. Dissolved solids do. Saturate water with sugar and the solution is heavier and of greater volume. Saturate water with O2 and the volume and density is essentially the same.

The classical gas studies done over the last decades of the 1800s are what I base my comments on. My understanding of these gas laws, which a bit of Googling confirmed to me, anyway. I wouldn't have asserted my points as I have without some checking.

But anybody can be wrong about anything.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Another great video. It wont let me leave a message for some reason on You Tube but all I was going to say is great job. Hope to see more like it in the future.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
mm those were great! thank you for sharing!

i've been waiting til i've saved enough for a microscope before i get your dvds. i figured i'd get sad watching them without being able to try it for myself...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
$130 for the cone. Why not look at thermoforming a cone of your design? Have a small shop do this, I mean. Very low tech and perfect for lower production runs. I bet you could get production costs to $20.

Every thermoforming company I contacted has now responded saying they cannot do it. The last company said;

"that product should be rotational moulded, there are a few companies in the city that can help, try searching plastic rotational moulders"

rrog

Veteran
Oh well. I have a feeling that vacuum thermoforming may be a lost or dying art. It was surprisingly low tech.

razor ridge

I have just built mt first 5 gallon air lift ACT brewer. I have my first batch of tea brewing now. I have wondered about temperature of the tea. Would a higher temp benefit the tea any? One could use an aquarium heater to raise the temp of the tea while brewing. Or does just room temp work better?

C

c-ray

I'm making a double barrel vortex brewer right now using 2 - 20 gallon primary fermenters..

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm making a double barrel vortex brewer right now using 2 - 20 gallon primary fermenters..

Are you sure you mean fermentor? [ps. fermenter is an organism strictly speaking :comfort:]

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Fermentation
Definition Fermentation

noun

An anaerobic (without oxygen) cellular process in which organic foods are converted into simpler compounds, and chemical energy (ATP) is produced.

Supplement

Fermentation differs from cellular respiration in a way that it uses organic compounds such as carbohydrates as (endogenous) electron acceptors instead of molecular oxygen (which is an exogenous electron acceptor in cellular respiration). However, compared with oxidative phosphorylation (of cellular respiration), fermentation produces less ATP.

Fermentation occurs in fruits, bacteria, yeasts, fungi, as well as in mammalian muscle. Yeasts were discovered to have connection with fermentation as observed by the French chemist, Louis Pasteur. Pasteur originally defined fermentation as respiration without air. However, fermentation does not have to always occur in anaerobic condition. Yeasts still prefer to undergo fermentation to process organic compounds and generate ATP even in the presence of oxygen. However, in mammalian muscles, they turn from oxidative phosphorylation (of cellular respiration) to fermentation when oxygen supply becomes limited, especially during a strenuous activity such as intensive exercising.

Fermentation is believed to have been the primary means of energy production in earlier organisms before oxygen was at high concentration in the atmosphere, and thus would represent a more ancient form of energy production in cells.

Fermentation occurs naturally but humans have used and controlled the process. It is used in the production of alcohol, bread, vinegar, and other food or industrial products:

Fermentation (food) - the conversion of carbohydrates into alcohols or acids under anaerobic conditions used for making certain foods. Fermentation (wine) – the process of fermentation commonly used in winemaking Fermentation (beer) – the process of fermentation used in brewing beer Fermentation (tea) - used in the tea industry for the aerobic treatment of tea leaves to break down certain unwanted chemicals and modify others to develop the flavour of the tea Ethanol fermentation - a form of anaerobic respiration used primarily by yeasts when oxygen is not present in sufficient quantity for normal cellular respiration Industrial fermentation, the breakdown and re-assembly of biochemicals for industry, often in aerobic growth conditions

Word origin: Late Latin, fermentātiōn- (s. of fermentātiō), equiv. to Latin, fermentāt(us), fermented