What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

J

jerry111165

One more -

First, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you. This is the most informative thread that I have found online about building a brewer.

Pretty sure that I now have all of the info that I need to get this right!

Thanks again - I will try and post a couple of pics once it is built, and up and running.

I feel that a professional AACT tea breawer is the heart and soul of a happy and content organic garden.

You guys are pros!

jerry.

DARC MIND

Veteran
Why is it so expensive? I say you run around and find all those fittings then and put it together yourself
crazy
my brewer isnt as fancy as some here but imho way WAY more simple and a fraction of the price's many here have threw into ther designs..
& still no leaks "smirk"

most images i got of the brewer and design are watermarked with another canna site's logo and im juggling too manythings atm, to remake a tutorial

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can build a brewer using the ECO com 1 and 5 gallon pail for around $30 but I won't be satisfied with the efficiency for selling to others.

J

jerry111165

Still waiting on my pump, but this is where I am at so far - I found a "quick connect", which seems is gonna work real well for cleaning.

Pump is supposed to be here Thursday - very excited. In the meantime, just wanted to say thanks yet again for some great ideas. From these pics, ya figure this is going to work well? Any input is sincerely appreciated - first timer here. Been using a bucket and airstone for the last couple years.

thanks in advance for any criticism.

jerry.

Attachments

• IMG-20110912-00093.jpg
    IMG-20110912-00093.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20110912-00094.jpg
    IMG-20110912-00094.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20110912-00098.jpg
    IMG-20110912-00098.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 20
J

jerry111165

Couldnt figure how to edit. Didnt mean to put the BioAg pics - sorry. Here are the 2 I meant to put in there.

Thans again.

jerry.

Attachments

• IMG-20110912-00099.jpg
    IMG-20110912-00099.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20110912-00100.jpg
    IMG-20110912-00100.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 13
J

jerry111165

That is just so tidy looking. Great job!

Thanks, Rrog. I've actually been working on this for a few weeks, but was never really sure about some of the finer points until I was steered in the right direction!

I'm pretty much brand new on this site joined a year ago, but never posted - and was referred here by some very nice people from another site that I've been going to for quite awhile.

Anyhow, thanks for the input - but the real test is going to be when it gets hooked up to the pump! (I do love the quick release of the bottom piping) If in fact it does work properly, though, it looks like this unit could last about forever. Tank Depot puts out a really nice tank I'll tell ya!

thanks again.

jerry.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Where did you get that 1.25 ball valve? that would solve so many of my problems. Very clean design and you will love this brewer!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only suggestion is, as I recommended to others is to try the air input on the horizontal and you'll be able to play with some flow and DO2 variation by moving the air input/diffuser further or closer to the center of the riser pipe. This configuration may be easier on your pump as well. What pump are you getting? Are you using a diffuser?

J

jerry111165

Hi Heady and Bullfrog!

Thanks for replying. Bullfrog, actually the heavy duty ball valve is 1.50". All components below the tank, until you actually get just above the air induction are 1 1/2". Right at the air induction section, immediately above this, I changed it to 1" pvc - actually from your design, I believe? I think that having the 1" riser up the side of the tank makes for less tea/water "weight" and is easier for the air to push it upwards? Btw, I think that I was lucky and found all of the components in one place - "Paris Farmers Union" - which is kind of like an "Agway" type feed and grain/hardware store here in Maine. I think the coolest piece on it, is the "Quick connect" bushing ($13.50) which is located directly below the tank itself, and in 2 seconds you are able to drop the entire bottom end pvc setup to take to the kitchen sink for easy cleaning.

Heady - I did not build the stand. I ordered both the stand ($73.00) and the 15 gallon tank ($69.99) itself from "Tank Depot" (dot com). It can be seen here -

http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-INFD15-19
I kind of paid dearly for it, I think...The tank and stand were not too expensive...both cane to around $145.00...but the darn shipping was around $100.00!!! I didnt see a way around it, though, and really wanted a solid, heavy duty cone bottom tank, and the stand really is very nice, and made to fit the tank perfectly,so....

The way that I am looking at this, is that I have been gardening for a long time, and see myself gardening for the rest of my life, wanted a premium AACT brewer that would last a long time, so bit the bullet and paid for the tank and stand. I'm hoping, and see no reason why this shouldnt last me just about forever!

I recently (well,going on 3 weeks now!) ordered an Alita AL-60 air pump for this setup - can be seen here -

http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=68

Unfortunately, Aquacave sent me the AL-40 model initially. I sent it back after making them aware of thier mistake, and they promised to send out a new one. Turns out they did not have another AL-60 in staock, so the new one is on its way directly from the Alita factory, and according to UPS tracking, supposed to arrive on Thursday. I'm like a kid at Christmas that has to wait until December 28th for his presents, though! The brewer is all built and I have no air...arrggghhh! *lol*

I am sincerely hoping that the Alita AL-60 will be a good pump for the new brewer setup. When the smaller AL-40 arrived, I did take it out of the box just to check it out (before I sent the dang thing back), and boy did it really seem like a very well made pump! The AL-60 shows that it pushes 68 LPM...Do you think that this will suit my needs sufficiently?

Boy, I hope so. 2 more days...:)

I have my compost, and castings, and aloe vera juice, and blue agave nectar all ready to go....*lol*

Nice to meet you guys, for sure. You have a great thread happening here! I seriously have gotten more info here (besides the Microbe Organics site!) than anywhere else on the 'net. Thanks for that, and hopefully I can add little tidbits here and there.

jerry.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got the results of my brew off and I'm trying to get some video edited and posted to illustrate. Basically I discovered the delay in the brew time was a result of my compost entering a dormant stage and it was not a fault of the design. This illustrates to me once again the importance of using a microscope. Ideally, I should have examined the dormancy/reactive [to food] potential of my compost before using. If I found the reactive period too slow I could pre-activate it with bran or...? or just brew longer.

J

jerry111165

The only suggestion is, as I recommended to others is to try the air input on the horizontal and you'll be able to play with some flow and DO2 variation by moving the air input/diffuser further or closer to the center of the riser pipe. This configuration may be easier on your pump as well. What pump are you getting? Are you using a diffuser?

Microbeman - thanks very much for your input here. I was actually directed to get your input from Clackamas_Coot,(and Stankie!) and have been reading your Microbe Organics pages for some time now. Wonderful stuff - pretty much "cutting edge" as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten ALOT of knowledge from your pages and I thank you for that.

I'm new to the air lift setup - brand new, in fact. Been using the ol' 5 gallon bucket and airstone forever now. This is the first "real" brewer I've built. I'm super excited about this.

In my last post I just (like 2 seconds ago - *lol*) wrote that I am using the Alita AL-60 68 LPM pump. I'm hoping that this will be sufficient? I believe that its a great pump - I guess I will know more later this week when it arrives. I'm hoping that it kicks butt!

The diffuser. Yes, no, maybe? Right now the unit does not have one. I was going to see how well it worked without one, but at the same time I'm thinking that I should definetly have one. Your thoughts on this? Neccessary, correct? I also have a 25 LPM (dont remember the brand) air pump, and was thinking that I could even "supplement" - if neccessary - with some good airstones at the bottom of the tank. At the same time, I dont want airlines blocking the whirlpool/vortex action - but maybe a thin airline wont bother it...

Nice to meetcha!

jerry.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Is this quick connect a no hub connector? If so, why do you like that better than using the threaded pvc the cone comes with? You just find this easier? Just an FYI I don't use a diffuser but if you come up with a good design I would love to see it.

The only things I could see to improve your design is what MM already said. Make your air line in line with your water intake as appose to underneath it. It works much better that way for me. Also, I would chop down your very first length of pipe coming out of your no hub fitting. No reason to have your pump push any extra distance. Unless your stand is in the way and I just can't tell in the pictures.

Now I can't wait till Thursday, I want to hear how she works for you. I hope it works great and I think your train of thought was correct in spending some extra money for a brewer you will use your entire life.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Microbeman - thanks very much for your input here. I was actually directed to get your input from Clackamas_Coot,(and Stankie!) and have been reading your Microbe Organics pages for some time now. Wonderful stuff - pretty much "cutting edge" as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten ALOT of knowledge from your pages and I thank you for that.

I'm new to the air lift setup - brand new, in fact. Been using the ol' 5 gallon bucket and airstone forever now. This is the first "real" brewer I've built. I'm super excited about this.

In my last post I just (like 2 seconds ago - *lol*) wrote that I am using the Alita AL-60 68 LPM pump. I'm hoping that this will be sufficient? I believe that its a great pump - I guess I will know more later this week when it arrives. I'm hoping that it kicks butt!

The diffuser. Yes, no, maybe? Right now the unit does not have one. I was going to see how well it worked without one, but at the same time I'm thinking that I should definetly have one. Your thoughts on this? Neccessary, correct? I also have a 25 LPM (dont remember the brand) air pump, and was thinking that I could even "supplement" - if neccessary - with some good airstones at the bottom of the tank. At the same time, I dont want airlines blocking the whirlpool/vortex action - but maybe a thin airline wont bother it...

Nice to meetcha!

jerry.

The Alita is reputed to be very solid but too rich for me normally. The pump you are getting puts out 2.4 CFM which is for sure sufficient for your size brewer.

Did you mention reducing to 1". In one of these threads recently I mentioned reducing from 1" to 3/4" with a 1.75 CFM pump and the results were poor. I'm willing to bet you'll get better flow and DO2 using 1.25" throughout.

EDIT: I forgot, when I asked about a diffuser, I meant inside the airlift.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to have a rant here so hold on!

I started out my day looking up some photos of Lactobacillus to attempt to delineate the long bacteria species/type I was getting in my most recent brew. What did I find all over the Internet??

My own photos of various microbes used without my permission and without credit on all sorts of commercial sites, including the Vortex Brewer, displayed in such fashion that one is lead to believe that these people did their own research for their overpriced 2 bit products. I'm generally very open to sharing things and don't mind someone using my material with credit given but I hate sleezeballs who are just trying to make a buck off my work.

Another dude was using my photos, claimed as his on Flicker (or whatever) and he published one in a blog. I wrote into Yahoo who manages Flicker to notify them and they responded telling me all this documentation I'd be required to submit. All they need to do is look at my webpage. What utter bullshit.

How about I hit some of these brewer companies with patent infringement?? End.

rrog

Veteran
What an ass ache that is. Sorry to hear about it. You might considering watermarking pictures, images, etc on your site. Much easier to get them to comply if it's shown they've digitally removed your watermark.