What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1:1 thc/cbd cultivars for edibles

Tincandtoke

Anyone using or processing any of these cultivars
I am using a cultivar called thunder struck which is 10%thc/15%cbd
Make a base tincture and have experimented with adding <1%thc/18%cbd to the base to increase sedation and relaxation
Also working with a cbdv-a and a cbg cultivar, trying to determine the best application

IMG_20230323_173832.jpg

Making very effective sleep chocolates that replace Ambien for someone
Any info would be appreciated

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Anyone using or processing any of these cultivars
I am using a cultivar called thunder struck which is 10%thc/15%cbd
Make a base tincture and have experimented with adding <1%thc/18%cbd to the base to increase sedation and relaxation
Also working with a cbdv-a and a cbg cultivar, trying to determine the best application

View attachment 18940175

Making very effective sleep chocolates that replace Ambien for someone
Any info would be appreciated
Sounds interesting friend, Keep us posted.

Tincandtoke

Newest batch of thunder struck tincture 10%thc/15%cbd
27 grams extracted
Tincture is a little cloudy as the water content of the ever clear was higher

IMG_20240124_141621.jpg IMG_20240124_141640.jpg IMG_20240124_141714.jpg IMG_20240124_141809.jpg IMG_20240124_141849.jpg IMG_20240124_141921.jpg IMG_20240124_143141.jpg IMG_20240124_143131.jpg IMG_20240124_143343.jpg IMG_20240124_143908.jpg

Trying to source cbdv flower or products for use with the thunder struck tincture
May have a possible source
Pics of the different tincture being mixed and the reduction process and chocolate making, sorta

Tincandtoke

IMG_20240202_123407.jpg

Thunder struck medicine being reduced for coconut oil infusion
Forgot to include the lecithin in the pic
IMG_20240202_130022.jpg IMG_20240202_130111.jpg IMG_20240202_130351.jpg IMG_20240202_130420.jpg IMG_20240202_130535.jpg

The last bits of ethanol bubbling off and the addition of coco oil and lecithin for a 20 minute heated process at boiling water temps

Have a lot of questions about the infusion times of the oils
Some process up to 3 hours
Any info on degradation or conversion?

Old Piney

Here's how I make CBD coconut oil , I just decarboxylate the flower in the oven , crunch it up and stuff it in a mason jar till it's mostly full .fill the jar with melted coconut oil to just cover the flower put the lid on and screw the ring on loosely. Then simmer in a pot or water for two or three hours and strain. To make it stronger I repeat using that oil and new flower. It comes out delicious and strong. I haven't noticed any difference by using lectin or not .Also in my opinion the cheesecloth isn't worth the bother and mess. Just a strainer the impurities will settle to the bottom , you can easily pour the oil of the top clean right to the last few tbs .you can cheesecloth that if you want .I would think if you've made the alcohol tincture you just need to mix it in the heated oil

Last edited:

Tincandtoke

Here's how I make CBD coconut oil , I just decarboxylate the flower in the oven , crunch it up and stuff it in a mason jar till it's mostly full .fill the jar with melted coconut oil to just cover the flower put the lid on and screw the ring on loosely. Then simmer in a pot for two or three hours and strain. To make it stronger I repeat using that oil and new flower. It comes out delicious and strong. I haven't noticed any difference by using lectin or not .Also in my opinion the cheesecloth isn't worth the bother and mess. Just a strainer the impurities will settle to the bottom , you can easily pour the oil of the top clean right to the last few tbs .you can cheesecloth that if you want .I would think if you've made the alcohol tincture you just need to mix it in the heated oil

Use ethanol to do the cold extraction method to minimize the lipids, waxes and chlorophyll
Waiting on recreational legalization so I can home grow
Have a medical card but still wary of anyone who grows for profit
Making an ethanol tincture allows me to carbon scrub impurities and a lot of pesticides out

You should try a stainless steel coffee filter
Filter your oil then run a few teaspoons of fresh hot oil to grab what's left in the filter

IMG_20240124_141640.jpg

My set up for initial filtering
Paper filter is optional for oil
Use a hand held stainless mesh to keep material from getting into the cone filter

My edibles have no "plant" taste or processed taste like distillate
The number one complaint from patients was the taste

My single stage filtered edibles have a small amount of taste

Old Piney

Use ethanol to do the cold extraction method to minimize the lipids, waxes and chlorophyll
Waiting on recreational legalization so I can home grow
Have a medical card but still wary of anyone who grows for profit
Making an ethanol tincture allows me to carbon scrub impurities and a lot of pesticides out

You should try a stainless steel coffee filter
Filter your oil then run a few teaspoons of fresh hot oil to grab what's left in the filter

View attachment 18954585

My set up for initial filtering
Paper filter is optional for oil
Use a hand held stainless mesh to keep material from getting into the cone filter

My edibles have no "plant" taste or processed taste like distillate
The number one complaint from patients was the taste

My single stage filtered edibles have a small amount of taste
My straight-up oil is delicious. I've had different flavors depending on the strain of cannabis all tasty. The one I ran this last season produced a vanilla taste. I grow outside organic and cure up the flower good, there's no green chlorophyll taste .Imo the lipids and wax are the good stuff ,your just dumping it back in coconut oil. All that scrubbing is removing good stuff like turps .I do get your concern about pesticides, I don't trust state controlled commercial growers as well .sometimes you just gotta break the law .My state has legal recreational but your not permitted to grow any .Fucking greedy bastards. Best of luck

Tincandtoke

My straight-up oil is delicious. I've had different flavors depending on the strain of cannabis all tasty. The one I ran this last season produced a vanilla taste. I grow outside organic and cure up the flower good, there's no green chlorophyll taste .Imo the lipids and wax are the good stuff ,your just dumping it back in coconut oil. All that scrubbing is removing good stuff like turps .I do get your concern about pesticides, I don't trust state controlled commercial growers as well .sometimes you just gotta break the law .My state has legal recreational but your not permitted to grow any .Fucking greedy bastards. Best of luck

My biggest concern is they will criminalize growing to maximize profits even though there will be plenty of customers who do not grow

Terpenes can be reintroduced but it changes flavor profiles dramatically so you have to be careful
Folks use an eye dropper but a syringe is better for putting drops of terpenes back in a tincture
The waxes and lipids have to come out to make the carbon scrub easier
Clogs up my filters

Terpenes profiles have to be researched for dosage amounts and effects
It would be nice to round out the edibles to near full spectrum but finding that sweet spot for dosage and taste is harder than it looks

Old Piney

My biggest concern is they will criminalize growing to maximize profits even though there will be plenty of customers who do not grow

Terpenes can be reintroduced but it changes flavor profiles dramatically so you have to be careful
Folks use an eye dropper but a syringe is better for putting drops of terpenes back in a tincture
The waxes and lipids have to come out to make the carbon scrub easier
Clogs up my filters

Terpenes profiles have to be researched for dosage amounts and effects
It would be nice to round out the edibles to near full spectrum but finding that sweet spot for dosage and taste is harder than it looks
I don't know it just seems like you take it all apart just to put it back together. Mother Nature has already done all the work. She has that sweet spot all figured out. Just saying and it's tasty !

Last edited:

Tincandtoke

I don't know it just seems like you take it all apart just to put it back together. Mother Nature has already done all the work. She has that sweet spot all figured out. Just saying and it's tasty !

I see your point
It gets taken apart for molecular gastronomy
My brother in law had throat cancer and I was infusing soft foods
The taste for some people can be nauseating
Much like some people cannot eat cilantro (me) because it tastes like soap
Same for cannabis, what tastes good to you may not to others

Terpenes are different and do taste good in moderation
Its the other compounds that make up the plant taste that overwhelm people

what I'm learning to do right now is customize individual's edibles
Getting good at it

Just made an infused oil that has a lot of the compounds still in there
Simple single stage filter
IMG_20240202_131011.jpg
Oil is dark from single stage filter
The carbon scrub produces a light golden red oil (oxidation), almost copper
This oil is for a control experiment for sleep meds
THC/CBD extraction, next batch I will add CBDV to the mix

Also doing infused soda and other beverages that require a bit of processing
Delivering high doses of thc and cbd without the taste

Basically taking it apart, removing a few things and putting it back together
Whole lot of happy patients

Overkill for you but a savior for others
Everyone is different

Old Piney

Overkill for you but a savior for others
Everyone is different
Agreed, I can see you enjoy it as well. But I will say I'm always amazed by all the different tastes /turps produced by cannabis. Right now although I do smoke or vape pot or hash ,I'm just not into ingesting it had a bad experience with my own homegrown/homemade weed brownies back in the day .Never got over it lol, maybe one day I'll get up the nerve to try some 1 to 1 ratio stuff made with a real mellow Indica. Way back in the 80s I made some chocolate fudge with some killer bud I grew. I found the recipe in High Times mag. by Chef Ganja lol. Old school just blend the bud up and dump it right in the mix . They it came out tasting like chocolate mint but didn't have any mint in it. I bought different dipping chocolates and made up boxes of chocolate that I gave out for Christmas They were a real hit if you didn't mind a little gritty texture with specks of green in your teeth lol .Yep edibles have come a long way

Tincandtoke

Agreed, I can see you enjoy it as well. But I will say I'm always amazed by all the different tastes /turps produced by cannabis. Right now although I do smoke or vape pot or hash ,I'm just not into ingesting it had a bad experience with my own homegrown/homemade weed brownies back in the day .Never got over it lol, maybe one day I'll get up the nerve to try some 1 to 1 ratio stuff made with a real mellow Indica. Way back in the 80s I made some chocolate fudge with some killer bud I grew. I found the recipe in High Times mag. by Chef Ganja lol. Old school just blend the bud up and dump it right in the mix . They it came out tasting like chocolate mint but didn't have any mint in it. I bought different dipping chocolates and made up boxes of chocolate that I gave out for Christmas They were a real hit if you didn't mind a little gritty texture with specks of green in your teeth lol .Yep edibles have come a long way

Have to agree there too
Love the different tastes of cultivars
IMG_20231225_001455.jpg IMG_20231225_001501.jpg IMG_20231225_001308.jpg

Some blasts from the past
Third pic lower left book

Tincandtoke

My bud as bud of the month back in 1993 and my growing Bible back in the day View attachment 18955512

I am such a newbie!!!
Been smoking ditch weed most of my life until the early 2010s
Got my medical card and pretty much try everything they grow
Crushing on some Don Mega from May (vacuum stored)
Buy a bunch of different cultivars and forget them over time
I'm A lightweight so a half to a gram a day plus an edible
Can't hang with those 1000mg warriors
Bought 17.5 grams of live resin and diamonds back in July festival in Maine and still have over 10 grams
Remember those heady days when you wanted to get as high as possible
Didn't know about green outs
Still have 10 grams of caps from the magic man to watch the new avatar movie in 3 D
A gram is a dose, damn I got old

That is impressive bud for back in the day
You were growing what we dreamed about in those high times centerfolds

Brick weed brown, seeds and stems extra
Remember buying a joint at a Sabbath concert that was mostly seeds and lit up like a firecracker
Seed holes gave you away as a stoner back in the day
Your hat, coat, shirt, pants, socks, underwear, seat cushion, couch cushion, car seat....

Last edited:

Tincandtoke

IMG_20240205_114153.jpg IMG_20240205_115050.jpg IMG_20240205_122731.jpg IMG_20240205_123234.jpg

40 pieces overall at roughly 50mg of combined cannabinoids thc/CBD
Single stage filter, no carbon
Most of the compounds from the cold ethanol extraction should be present
Taste is not bad for what is full spectrum from my processing

This is going to be the first documented batch of edibles for sleep
Doing them for about 2 years with great results and almost eliminating Ambien
Cannot speed up the onset time of oil but researching nano emulsion, uptake and feasibility
Ambien has a 30 min approx. onset
Hard to beat, not impossible
Back to published research and patent application (great source for info, they start small and scale up)

Tincandtoke

Nice thread! Can you elabrate a bit more on the carbon scrub? And if you can share some more on your experience with different alcohols, or I should say ethanol strenghts. Thanks,

The carbon scrub consists of two stages
Standard filter of material through a series of barrier filters
I use a cone filter paper set in a stainless steel cone filter that I set in a ceramic dripper
Top that off with a 90 micron filter bag to collect husks from the trichomes
IMG_20240124_141640.jpg IMG_20240124_144443.jpg

This is my version of full spectrum, understandable if people disagree it's just for expository purpose
This tincture has very little cannabis taste but it is noticeable

At this point the tincture has a couple of grams of carbon added depending on volume
There are several different types of carbon from different sources
Most common is activated charcoal or AC
This comes with trace amounts of carcinogens (barbeque probably has more)
I use a lab carbon called CarbonX, got it in the introductory phase at a reasonable price but it has since gone through the roof

Its a choice but a lot of people ingest trace amounts of carcinogens everyday
Trying to get people together for a group buy because you can wash it in warm ethanol and reuse it
After adding the carbon agitate for 5 minutes and then run through a vacuum pump and Buchner funnel
I use a column of celite 545 (food grade diatomaceous earth) to filter out the carbon, color, lipids and waxes
You can use clay to filter the amber tincture that results from the above process but it is just oxidation and has very little, if any, impact on the final product

As for the alcohols
I would start with food grade 200 proof ethanol or 190 proof Everclear or other brand
151 proof can be used but the efficiency of the extraction suffers IMO
While reducing 151 proof you have to bring it down to just oil and water
Most popular method is to syringe the water out of the reduction and then add a little more 151 to reconstitute the tincture and then finish the reduction to oil, again syringe off any water
Any alcohol lower than 151 should not be reduced and left as a tincture IMO
Isopropyl alcohol, this stuff got me run off another site
Not my choice for extraction but it can be used
Only use 99%!!!!!
Perform the standard extraction except in this case you are going to pour the tincture into boiling water to evaporate the alcohol off
You decarb the oil after but I altered the method and did the decarb prior to extraction

www.cannabishomesciences.com/documentation

Basically you want to buy the highest proof alcohol/ethanol you can
Anything below 151 proof is questionable for efficiency and a nightmare to reduce to concentrate, not a very good product

So Hai

Nice and for anyone reading who may not be familiar with ”proof”, you can divide the number in two to get the ABV %. Very strong, pure alcohol is a bit difficult to come by here. Perhaps something around 150 proof then could be used for tincture as suggested.

Latest posts

Latest posts