What's new

What if there is no temp change between night and day?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Aaronponic said:
Except that under the same conditions if your temps were slightly cooler and you maintained a change in night temps, they would not be airy. Why make it that much harder?
Because that is simply NOT true. You're just wrong. Nothing hard about that.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Aaronponic said:
So you finish (last week or so before harvest) with your room temps at 80F+?
no,
nor did I ever advise anyone to...
I advised cooler temps if running same day and night
but i know that
having a difference between day and night temps makes no difference to yield, unless the difference causes undesirable extremes.

quit giving bad advice, please.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
My garden during the day ranges from 72 to 78 degrees...
That is the A/C kicks on at 77 and kicks off at 72...
During the night my room ranges from 68 to 75 and the A/C doesn't kick on at all...
Dehumidifier running day and night set to 40% humidity...
humidity ranges from 40 - 50%...

So you agree that cooler temps when running same day/night is a good idea.

So if it doesn't cause airy buds, what dos having a higher temp for same day/night cause in your opinion?

My experience is that it quite simply causes fluffy, airy buds. I experienced this when I was growing in Los Angeles for about 2 years. This was some time ago, but during the summer months (even with A/C) room temps would creep into the 80s at lights on and lights off. Even with Co2 I would notice as the canopy temps pushed into the upper 80s, the bud's density would severely suffer.

What exactly was the bad advice I gave?

ROFL, you have basically the same environment as I do, our debate must be semantical, because I thought I was giving advice to reflect those numbers.

Perhaps the misunderstanding is in the use of the word arid. Let me clarify once again when I said that I was referring to humidity being low (under 50%), with a change in day night temps. I don't mean putting your plants in a desert! I mean using some of the characteristics of the desert (dry, gets colder at night), to help produce better buds during the end of harvest. Unless you shut the pumps off and drain the res, I don't think it is technically possible for a hydroponics system to be arid by definition...that's not what I mean.

Last edited:

word

Ive ran shit @ 90's to 70's steady day/night. ran differentials from 10-40 degrees. Balance is the key for me. Replicate the seasonal temps a plant would normally endure. Strains are specific to certain climates and conditions and take to those better than others. All in my experience as a hobby.

G

In regard to Digitalhippy - I also heard that day/night temperatures effect the stretch of the plant (distance between each node) ... Not jst in cannabis bt in a huge range of plants tested ... i think it was a university that did the test, not sure which one coz i wasnt paying that much attention haha. Bt closer nodes = denser buds rite.

The only thing I would worry about would be high (75f+) night time temps coupled with high (75%+) night time humidity= high risk of mold, from experience.
HF

Slipklot

LOL scientists told me.. LOL more.. I read in high times less temp dif less stretch and more vigor in growth.. And we all know everything they print is true, haha.. Also an old grower friend once told me resin is the plants sunblock, whether er not that holds true or not remains mystery.. It's hard to prove anything when you're dealing with mother nature soon as you think you got her figured she throws you threw a loop.. Plus dif genetics means dif results some may like cold nights some not so much.. ya dig? 1 :joint:

knna said:
I though it was a general consensus that a high DIFF is desiderable at the end of the flowering. Im very surprised some people questioning this generally accepted tip for increased yield.

Thank you, I did as well.

Slipklot said:
LOL scientists told me..

Wel, I didn't want to, "name names", at first but since you brought it up...

The, "scientist", that told me that a difference in temperature causes the plant to convert water to oils, and a low humidity causes the plant to convert water to resins, was one who worked for Advanced Nutrients. It was made in a post, which was stickied on their forum, regarding the metabolic pathways of the plant. Unfortunately the forums do not exist and I could not find the post in google cache. But what I read sounded convincing at the time. I really wish the post was still up some where as the poster went into extreme detail that I am unable to provide to you, as to specific metabolic pathways within the plant that function to allow what I am describing.

Last edited:

yohomz

If your temps are a bit cooler during their dark period, no more than 15F than the light period, your plants WILL produce more resin. They do this naturally so that the trichomes will be denser on the outside of the buds causing them to be insulated, therefore ensuring their survival as they think more cool temperatures are on the way. Hope that made sense.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Aaronponic said:
Regardless of that, environmental factors are what will contribute to the production of cannabinoids within a plant. It doesn't matter if "UV and animals" are what caused plants of today to have their current potential for cannabinoid production. That potential is not reached unless environmental factors are what they need to be.

Actually the more UV used (MH, UV fluorescents) the most resin is produced; UV does matter. I agree with you that the environmental factors are first priority.

Perhaps there are select strains that will not suffer reduced growth rates at 80+ without increased Co2 levels. However, the original poster did not indicate he was growing a pure thai strain that he or she believed to require high temps and high humidity. So assuming they are growing one of the more genetically diverse strains that most of us in North America/Europe grow, 80+F without boosted Co2 would not help and MAY cause airy buds. Not to mention, quite often a ROOM temp of 80 is a CANOPY temp of 85+.

I admit to attempting a straw man (logical fallacy in debate), but I was simply trying to make the point that its not as simple as saying something and it being true.

who said damage the plant?

I said multiple things and was covering all bases; I'm sure there's not need to nit-pick words.

I said that if all environmental factors are optimal, as temps go up, thc/gram goes down and harvest weight goes up to a certain point. Generally in the 80s. What part of that is total BS?

Well the BS part was saying that no flux in 80 degrees would possibly cause your buds to be airy. We have gone off on a tangent about environment, but I believe it was a necessity to the progression of our conversation.

Well, we've said our words and believe we are at an impasse, unless you wish to concede, because I'm not.

H3ad & knna, thank you for further clarification. knna, I've read your posts for a long time, including on other sites, so I'll be researching DIFF. I'm glad you stated its not as simple as this. H3ad, gonna have to agree with your experiences as well... dunno what to tell anybody else.

was one who worked for Advanced Nutrients

Ok, good, its not a real scientist. Let me start by saying I HATE advanced nutrients and everything they stand for. They actually told a guy to keep his res (for DWC) at 52 degrees F. They have no idea what they're doing and are great marketing guys. Please don't listen to a word they have to say, they are complete morons.

How hard is it to take tissue samples from plants at different rates of nutrient concentrations, at different stages of growth and measure the concentrations? You think advanced nutrients is special? NO! Every hydro company has preformed these tests... :bashhead:

Last edited:
Mr Celsius said:
Ok, good, its not a real scientist. Let me start by saying I HATE advanced nutrients and everything they stand for. They actually told a guy to keep his res (for DWC) at 52 degrees F. They have no idea what they're doing and are great marketing guys. Please don't listen to a word they have to say, they are complete morons.

How hard is it to take tissue samples from plants at different rates of nutrient concentrations, at different stages of growth and measure the concentrations? You think advanced nutrients is special? NO! Every hydro company has preformed these tests... :bashhead:

Actually, I hate AN as well, have never used their products (due to their exorbitant pricing). I don't just throw out everything they say because of that though.

So no I don't think they are special, they just happened to do some research into the metabolic pathways of the plant in specific environmental conditions, and share it (for a short time) on their forum. I am passing it on, as even though I don't like AN, it was solid information in my opinion.

SacredBreh

Oh shit this is funny......

Oh shit this is funny......

" I thought it was a generally accepted belief..."
If we all went with that kind of crap, we would still believe the earth was flat and hang our plant upside down "so the thc could drain from the roots". Both of which use to be widely accepted beliefs.

Only widely accepted beliefs I believe are the ones I see and then only about 75%!!!!!!!!!

As said before... I have lots of experience with "Diff" and without "Diff". Doesn't make a "diff" with the strains I have grown.

Agree.... if you can't isolate the variable which very few of us can... you can not make a casual link.... at best a correlation between the two. By the way I have read many University experiments with this subject. Easy to find on line. So far have never seen one with Marijuana.... not sure why...... OH, THATS RIGHT< Its illegal in the US even for research. Again, other plant data can only infer a hypothesis not a proven fact. Besides the experiments I have read did not control enough to rule out other variables.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lots of bullshit here...

Peace

Maxyeild

Well that's one hell of a response from everyone!! That was an interesting read, we are experienced growers, but never got a clear answer to that question. So now there is another one on the table..........

Is there a way to set a portable AC unit to change between night and day....

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Aaronponic said:
So you agree that cooler temps when running same day/night is a good idea.

So if it doesn't cause airy buds, what dos having a higher temp for same day/night cause in your opinion?
Of course I agree with that... I said early on that I'd run cooler than 80...

Pathogens do much better at warmer temperatures...
Molds, mildews, mites, bacterium... all thrive in warmer environments...
Warmer temps slow plant growth if CO2 is not supplemented...

In the summertime in the deep south i used to always have difficulty keeping daytime temps below 85, and the garden was always more prone to problems in summer months... Even though I could usually pull off the same weight, when there were problems the got worse faster and caused bigger losses... In the winter maintaining 75 was no problem... I never noticed bud density being affected much at all, mostly overall growth rates... but of course I haven't grown enough different in a controlled enough manner to make any sort of definitive statements... I'm sure there may be strains who's density is affected by temperature profoundly, but I've not seen where maintaining a similar day/night temp do so...

SacredBreh

knna..... did you not read what I wrote in the thread so far?????

knna..... did you not read what I wrote in the thread so far?????

Look dip-shit it was not personal to you. Just to the statement.

You answered your own argument in your own post.... I have stated in the thread that my experience is the basis for my argument and in the one you responded to also... that is what:
--"As said before... I have lots of experience with "Diff" and without "Diff". Doesn't make a "diff" with the strains I have grown."
--"Only widely accepted beliefs I believe are the ones I see and then only about 75%!!!!!!!!!
means!!!!! Can we all say....Duh!!!!!!!

Little recap of my posts in this thread to catch you up since you seem a little slow or just spout off without reading others posts.

My room is Dependant on the temps outside. In late fall, winter, and early spring I can keep the temperatures in the 70's which I like to do for the same reasons as h3ad and also water usage goes down. But, in the late spring, summer, and early fall the temps climb into the 80's to 90's. So obviously I have a lot of experience with "DIFF" since in the cooler months temps drop at night and in the warmer months very little. I (again, W I TH M Y EYES A N D S C A L E S) have not had airy buds or anything untoward but am a lot more vigalent for problems when the temps are up and do supplement with CO2...Damn, hard to speak that slowly on the computer. Same room, same air flows, same growing technique except a couple of trials... as much as the variables could be the same, they were.

You don't sound like a baby knna... you sound like a person who uses fancy words and tiny bits of extrapolated data to make up for lack of experience. I seriously doubt you can show me a study on line by a "Botanist" that incorporates marijuana... thus extrapolated or unproven hypothesis. We all know how to do searches so what is your point. I have looked into "DIFF" at length, just do not see the same thing in my plants. Again, S E E P L A N T S.

Now are you up to speed.... good.

Peace

Last edited:
G

This may piss off somebody but do not depend on high times for scientific data.

SacredBreh

octodiem.....

octodiem.....

That is a true statement. Apparently it offends some to disagree with " generally accepted beliefs".

Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts