What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400w CMH V-scrog cab! Tube of Green anyone?

well hello there peeps! i am a week into veg and would like some input! i have a grow diary going but it hasn't attracted much attention yet. maybe when i start flowering things will heat up on the posts.

my monster!

sealed grow chamber in a cab! :woohoo:

full view @ day 5 of veg

day5

day7 same plants as above!

How's this for 7 days of veg from clone? BTW it didn't have branches 7 days ago!

So what's up? i thought ICmag was more active... maybe i'm jumping the gun. :rant:

if anyone is interested in my design i have more info on my setup in my grow diary.

Last edited:
That's what i'm talkin bout!

That's what i'm talkin bout!

tleafjr & D4 welcome aboard! ha ha thanks for the support guys! it's been running pretty smooth so far and with my growth rate picking up i bet it's going to fill up fast. went and got some cheap trash bags for the twisty's that come with them. no clue why the ones that cost more don't have them... i may have a good idea on training my ladies into place without having too much trouble. i'll post some pic's up in my diary tomorrow on how i plan to train. :jump:

hey there ICmag'ers :wave: say ya like it! say ya hate it! jus say somethin... ha ha i wish i had someone that i could show my grow to in person but you know how that goes. so you guys are my only inspiration! well the ewwie goowie stickie ickie gets me inspired alright but the ladies don't talk back. lol :bashhead:

Stke_fingas ! Im throwing some positive vibes your way, thats a really imaginative grow and i can see you have put some handwork into it ! I love it when clones grow real lusty like that, nearly seem them eating the light lol
Ill be tuning into this one :)

bugbud63

Hey thats a very cool loking setup you got.I'll have to go to your grow log to get more info.Looks like you spent some time on it.Good Luck!!How do you like the cmh bulbs?As soon as i can im going to get one.Stay Safe!!

Pig-Pen

Sweet! V-grows are awesome, especially the tubulars. It takes a lot of patience to get the whole screen full, but the rewards are bountiful. :smoker:

greenthumb!...drumb (butternuts... CUP!)
thanks for the pos vibe first of all! YES SIR i got some work into it alright. i can't remember how much oil i HAD to smoke when i was putting it together. ha ha stick around bro and i'll do my best to impress! they are some nute drinking whores i tell ya. about a gallon this morning after the top off last night! twelve hours to consume aprox 1 gal. i'm very excite!

bugbud sup!
everything so far has been positive with the bulb. awesome spectrum and cooler running temp! i can touch the cooltube glass right next to the bulb. it's warm but not hot! i may switch to multiple computer fans to get proper airflow next round. it will be hot here and i don't wanna stop growing.

pig-pen what up!
glad you like it bro! i seen it before and had to give it a shot. i'd like to see a nice g/w but it's a long way from that. i don't think filling up my screen is going to take long at. with 8 full days of veg(5 spent with HPS-3 with CMH) they have really begun to blow up. if i get buds growing this fast i'm gonna poop my pants at least twice a day. lol

UPDATE!!!!
so this is three days under the cmh and things have really picked up. more than likely just getting more root mass and there ability to absorb more has really started to show.

check out how nice the preflowers look already! day8 veg

same that i had posted before. starting to fill up nice for 8 days yeah?

day7

day8

:wave: say hello to all the new nodes! :wave:
i'm so happy this is going well. guessing 3-4 more days in veg and a flower we will go! stick around!
whole view.

the left bottom of the screen blowing up! lots of training already!

if they start to fill my screen faster i''m going to switch soon!
thanks for the comments!!

Tony Danza

That's pretty sick, I'm about half way through the CMH sticky and am getting convinced.

I've thought much about the vscrog, and am stoked to see someone doing it, seeing it with a CMH just makes it that much more interesting! Is the CMH causing spontaneous branching, or are those clones taken in flowering?

What are the dimensions of the vscrog growing space? if that was an HPS, I would say stretch might run you right out of there if you don't switch soon, but the cmh is sposed to reduce that.

Nice work, I'll be watching this.

tony danza
thanks for the comments and interest! that CMH stickey is LONG! i'll save you some time... CMH bulbs freaking rock! and just go buy one and you'll be glad you did. there was a big ol' hoopla bout it not working in switchable ballasts but i guess that doesn't apply to me? lol fired up just like a HPS. i almost wish i had used a HPS in my setup to show a difference in growth but i'm more than shocked with the cmh.(node and branch work) and it's cheaper! wow twist my arm a little more there Phillips! ha ha

i figured out my dimensions and i have a FULL SQUARE YARD(of netting)! :jump: honestly though it's only on paper that way. my true growing space is less than that.

these are not "special" or tricked cuts(well special to me) taken from my year+ old mom. IMHO i think vertical lighting is the best way for extreme penetration and bottom nodes never get left in the dark.

i'm not too worried about stretch, i think the intensity of the light will slow most of it down.(i hope) if not i'll be a lst'n fool! my plan is to train horizontal (plants always grow up) and let the stretch work it's magic. my dream is of a stadium looking rows of fat 4" colas. i'm using paper clips to hold plants into position. impossible to weave through the netting due to the growth rate with my 400. i'd have to train them in like every 8 hours.

i have overgrown once or twice in my day and am starting to get the feeling i may chalk up another one if i don't make the switch soon. my only concern is a few of my plants are about 2 days behind the leaders and 2 days is crazy in there. i hope this CMH controls the stretch.

tleaf jr thanks for stopping by,
i'm really thinking about switching because the growth has only picked up more and more everyday. when i woke up today and checked on them i was shocked! it's like there doubling in size every day. i was under the impression that i was going to veg for like 3-4 weeks to fill that screen up. today is day 9 and the screen is pretty much full on the bottom. a little more to go, maybe 2 days and i'll hit the switch. 1 1/2 week veg is totally acceptable in my book. thats just enough time to get everything dried, trimmed and jarred. :jump:

BTW today was the first time that i was able to smell my plants when i opened the grow space. not until it was open though. sounds like my DIY net-pot carbon filter is working.

Tony Danza

What's your LxWxH of the growing chamber, it looks wide and shallow like mine.

It looks as if you are growing a 250 degree arc and not the full 360 (which is what I would have to do If I were to try this.) Is that the case?

stke wow nice looking. I am seeing the same shocking growth with my CMH that you are. It hasn't slowed down at all!! I'm getting healthy, vigorous shoots from every single node.

tony danza
28x22x18 LxWxH, the only reason i don't have a 360* screen is cause i didn't have any way to vent my cool tube. it also alows me to cool my light while the Co2 is on. it's a 4" vent running down. there is a ton of pictures in my gallery.

if you have any questions about my setup just ask. i'm flattered that anyone would like to know more. shoot, if anyone wants a tutorial i'm sure i can throw something together. or even my humble opinion on how to maximize there growing space.

growing my own dank has been the most fun and rewarding hobby i've ever had. i would still be growing with soil and CFL's if i never found ICmag. i really owe a lot to the community in my eyes. my grow diary is to show that pretty much everyone has room for the small cab that i have and can grow all they could possibly smoke(maybe a little extra).

IF you have a vertical setup no matter how different than my own i'm VERY interested to learn more! it's become an addiction. i hope to be able to help the community by providing information on maximizing there gardens full potential when space is limited. i'm no expert nor do i consider myself to be, but i do have a few grows under the belt. enough to learn the big mistakes our hobby come's along with.

let me know what you want to see ICmag and stke will make it happen.

heya iLLperception! you snuck right up in there when i was posting. DUDE! CMH ROCKS! the node growth is crazy! what would normally be a single branch with no or very little side work under HPS is a thing of the past for me. the cmh produces some amazing side branching on every node possible!

do you or anyone think that the growth rate/quality is due to the full spectrum or light intensity? i'm pretty sure i got both spectrum and light maxed the F' out this grow. i wouldn't take a hps if they were handing them out. well i might take it but i sure wouldn't use it unless something happened to my CMH.

so i guess i wanna see some more CMH plants. if you got pictures feel free to post em up here! i'm really interested in seeing if anyone has mature preflowers so soon in veg.

Tony Danza

It's the CMH

It's the CMH

Ive seen vedge under floros, 70w hps, 150 hps, 400hps, 400mh, and high-end horti 600hps, and I've NEVER seen nodes that tight, not even with the normal halide. I'm sooo getting a CMH when my bills let me.

Here's my hps vedge ladies:

mine are gonna be like BUD-stick-bud-STICK and yours are gonna be like BUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuud-dirt!

Can't wait to see that tube flower.

[edit] I think I found my sig.

Last edited:
mr tony danza sup
nice ladies! DUDE if your still vegging hang that light vert in your cab! it would at least double your canopy and light penetration. just wait till i flower my cab, i bet there will be a lot more vertical setup's popping up every where!
i hear you on the node spacing! i've used floro, 400wMH, 400wHPS, and 600w eye/horti HPS and have Never seen node's like the cmh is producing. they are extremely close to the bulb and that may have a factor in it too, but hey i'm stoked either way!

look at all the branches in the few inches from the bottom. the squares are 1"

this is a constant drip system in lava rock filled tubes. the plants are held in place with vermiculite, which also helps them during transplant by keeping the root zone moist. i didn't use vermiculite the first time i tried vertical and lost half my clones the first day. IMHO it's required for 100% success.

Last edited:

Tony Danza

Mine are actually a month into 12/12, they took 4ever to show sex, but they're cooking now that I got em under a bigger light, thank god the stretch has stopped.(they started under 70 hps and got too damn big in a hurry). I intended on running dwc in this cab with a scrog, but I might try a vscrog in there on the second run if I can get my light/heat configured right.

I thought you were running a soil setup, I like it even better now. I guess drip is the only practical way to have multiple levels hydro with a common rez.. (uh-oh, I think I just doomed myself to buying more rubbermaid/plumbing gear to try to build a multi height hydro setup.)

stke_fingas said:
i wouldn't take a hps if they were handing them out. well i might take it but i sure wouldn't use it unless something happened to my CMH.

haha when a bought another 400w ballast and hood a couple days ago I told the hydro store guy I didn't want an HPS bulb unless it was free cuz I wouldn't be using it. He gave it to me for free and it's gonna sit in my cabinet unless I blow a CMH and the spare CMH I have on hand! :joint: