What's new

Petrolia Headstash Pure IBL..

beancounter

Veteran
....or, is it?

I'm not quite sure, I got the old package but won't post it for security reasons etc..

I'm pretty suprised at the vast phenotypical differences, that's why i'm not sure it's really PH pure IBL..

It's a strain I've been wanting to grow and breed with ever since i heard of it.. and when I saw dogsnob's pics in the RM help desk it sealed the deal and i had to give it a run.. And I do know I would still like to grow the version dogsnob had..

These were almost the last pack purchased before RM ran out.. I got 6/12 germ..

I will just let the pictures do the talking.. there's one mostly indica lookign male that's not in any of the veg pics.. he was a runt that made it.. a pheno kinda in between the sativa looking ones and the indica looking ones..

5 of the PH pures in veg:

3 sativaish phenos in veg:

the 2 female indica phenos, which looked the same in veg, turned out to be dif i flower:

Female #2 in veg:

Female #3 in veg:

The one sativa pheno fem, it's at 76 days and still going and going.. looking a lil worse for wear as i've been flushing her for weeks and weeks, i may try to finish her outside, as i only planned for 70 days max on this plant, and i need the space:

too many pics for 1 post... to be continued below...

beancounter

Veteran
PH Pure #2, the best looking of the 3.. @ 63 days:

PH Pure #3, smoked and tasted like pure hemp, @ 61 days:

Both of the indica phenos were sampled by 5 different experienced tokers, and none would even take home samples for free.. I am sorry, but that is the truth.. I felt ashamed even assosiatingthe word 'headstash' with this pot when letting friends try it.. I jus ended up using it for hash..

the indicas had a faint afghan aroma, kinda acrid, nothing excellent, nothing horrible, the #2 plant with more resin had a slightly better aroma, but nothing close to something like DC.. Unfortunately, once dried and cured it was jus like smoking hay for the lack of a better term.. jus no real flavor, fairly harsh.. the low resin indy pheno was barely tolerable..

The #1 female is still going super strong @ almost 11 weeks, which is strange as it started to look like it would finish @ about 55 then it got 2-3x bigger and hasn't had a pistil die off for weeks.. Also, the odor is the very typical sativa citriusy smell, completely different than the 2 indica phenos.. I have no idea when it will finish, it looks like it could go 100 days from here..

I gave this expensive line alot of space and love in the garden, i was expecting great things..

I still have clones of all of the fems, and still have the 3 other males as i still had hope i could see something in the line worth working with.. or maybe make some more beans.. And as of yet i can't see anything i could honestly recomend a friend growing, so i jus don't see the need to make more seed..

Jus looking for answers, not looking to start and breeder bashing or cause any trouble.. I'm jus a sucker for a good 'ghani, specialy those of the presoviet variety, i had alot of hopes that this was one..

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Yeah, the real Petrolia Headstash shouldn't have any sativa phenotype, this is suppose to be pure pre-soviet afghani. I know the original strain that was made popular in Cali. was solid Afgan for sure, large fat leaves, and that strong inscence hash smell and flavor. We had a heirloom afghani we nicknamed "inscence" just for this reason, and it was the best example of true afghani I have seen in a long time, and we haven't even had it for probably 4 years. So many strains are hybrids now it is hard to find an original, and I am a big fan of pure breds, always have been. Something about smoking the same genetic line as others did long ago, makes you feel connected to tradition.

G

wow, that stalk on the sativa dom first one, is like a small tree... looks pretty good.. pure ibl or not, i wouldnt mind tokin a couple hits of that stuff. take care mate.

nick11

Veteran
what a bunch of hype, I remember Reef talking about this strain at OG. Too bad it was a waste of space for you. Maybe it not even Petroila?

K

kokua

thanks for the report BC...I appreciate the work you put into it :) :joint:

shiva das

I can't be;ive it....I too was expecting big things from this "ledgenary" strain. I have my cash ready to send away for that or rm hashplant. Now, I'm beginging to wonder if I should look for something else...maybe black domina???

G

Hola BC, id be wonderin the same myself. i dont think PH is IBL at all. have some seed from Reef back when he was PB on CW, was called viet Blk X indica. when i asked him what the indica was, i was told PH.

it was never touted as a IBL then. when the DC hit the scene and became so popular, someone??? started a rumor that PH was indeed DC, LOL. when that rumor was squashed, the rumblins of PH bein a old world affie started circulatin.

just from your pics, id almost say you got the wrong beans. very sativa lookin bud from here. havent run it myself, as i never believed the hype from the start.

friends wouldnt even take home some free samples?? that says it all right there. it is a bitch, when ya spend all that time and dough expectin somethin worth a rip, and they just dont turn out. does happen though as im sure you know all to well.

do appreciate ya doin the grow and lettin us growers know whats up:yes:

CBF

mtnjohn

Veteran
damn BC......thats a kick in the head

i remember seeing those beans on reeferman's site..
and i thought ..hmm, they would be nice to have....guess we were both wrong

sorry to hear

mj

RoostaPhish

Veteran
This strain was around way before Reeferman ever introduced it, back when I lived in Paradise, CA, this was one of the best pure indicas around. But that was like 11 years ago now. Alot of reefs strains are high quality, but they are based on his selection process, and also alot of them are hybrids that he created with genetics he felt closely resembled the original heirloom strain. I mean you do what you can, with the amount of strains he has, it is easy to go wrong with some. PEACE, BrotherD

beancounter

Veteran
thanks for everyone stoppin' by and checkin' her out.. it's a tough one to get feedback on as too few people have grown Reef's PH..

I have since PMed reeferman here at IC and provided a link to this thread.. hopefully he will stop by and shed some light on this for us all..

this is the most expensive seedline I'd ever consider buying (i would never consider dr.greenthumb etc, or those places that mark up the standard lines).. In fact, in the 'reputable' seed world, where suggested retails are used, this is pretty much the most expensive line I can think of.. next being Rez's IBL..

Now, I'd rather have a pure IBL pre-soviet afghan over the SDIBL any day of the week.. but I would rather have a 1/2 pack of the SDIBL than a full 2 packs of whatever I jus grew..

Lets hope these are the wrong seeds, and the real PH is still out there..

I too have heard the old stories from back in the day, and by all accounts 'real' PH was indeed a very very high quality pure breeding afghan line.. I've also heard that the 'real' PH was used to make some of the best elite/heirloom clones and lines around..

I've always heard reef say 'only buy PH pure if you plan on breeding with her' (or something to that effect)... well, I can't see anything worth using in this line.. except maybe a new stealthier form of hemp? they do put out some phat stocks, but not hollow like Deep Chunk..

anywho, i jus hope reef can clear this up..

Last edited:
hey bro i crossed that shit with a ecsd about 2 years ago ,,, i can't say wow enough!!!!
phs is bomb weed!!!

thats it xed to a ecsd !
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/17068DSCF1296.JPG

Last edited:

beancounter

Veteran
did it look like this Sun?

there could be something special lurkin' in these plants, but for the life of me I can't see it..

I almost used it for breeding jus on the faith of the hype, etc.. but i jus couldn't bring myself to use something that didn't have any traits I was looking for..

I think if it was stable from the start, all indy phenos, i mighta jus used/tried it, and made some more beans.. but once i saw the vast variation in early veg it was clear it wasn't IBL (or at least didn't fit my definition of one)..

i dunno what to say, i sure as hell wish it was special, DC is great, but I would have loved to have another pre-soviet IBL in the line up, especialy something a lil less dominant..

that's ok, I have Bub's PAKI IBL to play with until I can track down the 'real' PH..

Last edited:

SmokeyPufmaster

Veteran
Hi BC, I want to thank you for giving us the low down on the strain. I also thought that it would be bomb from the name. Maybe you should try to cross it to something else like Sun did. If not kick it to the curb.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good read, ive smoked the headstash up in norcal a few times. was always some of my fav to come back to when i go up there. i always pictured her a good breeder. props on the report

beancounter

Veteran
thanks for the thanks smokey, as I've said I jus would like to know if it's indeed PH pure.. I don't want to write off the entire strain jus from this one pack grow.. I do still have the males and may do a lil something outside with the line, as I can't dedicate my indoor space to something so lackluster..

If i had more space I wouldn't hesitate.. I want to see a lil something in a line before I commit if you kwim..

I've linked RM via PM so I hope he checks out the thread.. I will post a link later in his forum if not.. I don't want to cause any shit, jus want an answer.. and the pictures say it best, rather than me PMing/emailing him here or at his website.. I don't have any posts at his website, and I didn't really feel like being called a troll or newb (not that I would have), or have to make a new account at yet another site.. (I can only remember so many passwords)..

thanks for stoppin' in jay, your posts are the ones that give me hope the real headstash is still out there.. and makes me think this could have been a simple bean mix up..

I have never smoked or grown real oldskewl PH so all I can do is post the pics, describe the bud and ask oldskewl smokers/growers and reef..

I'm sure i'm not the only one who is after this info..

Last edited:

70s_PotHead

Bummer I feel for ya dude but I guess somtimes shit just happens, sometimes ya just get some seeds that arent what there suppose to be but it shouldnt be happening with high dollar IBLs. just write off your loss and move on...

70s :joint:

B

Brad

dam that sux before i got busted that was 1 of the strains i was testing out..an i wasnt that impressed mine were sativa dom too??never got to finish them tho..sorry bout your luck....Dont worry bout causing shit..you grew the beans out now you want an answer,fuck em if they dont like it :wave: no one deserves hemp quality
PEACE :joint:

Last edited:

DarkGreen

afghan

afghan

thanks beancounter for putting this report up on PH. I have always had an interest in Deep Chunk. However with the limited availability and price, I often turned my head to PH. Since there aren't any reports on PH, I have been reluctant to purchase these. It looks as if theres nothing good at all about PH to keep searching for a good affy.

It seems that there are limited Afghan IBL on the seed market. And it seems that even if they are listed as IBL, they are often crossed with skunk#1. It would be nice to list skunk#1 in the genetics when buying a strain. Some people are not into pure afghan lines as they tend to be really leafy, yield poor, and have a dull high, and I guess that's the reason for crossing to skunk#1. But there are people out there who would want a pure afghan (or at least a very stable nearly pure one) for smoking and breeding purposes.

What if a breeder like yourself would make some F2's from strains like TFD's Afghanica or another afghan crossed line, and just pick the best representation of the afghan genetics? Or maybe cross Afghanica with a "supposed" pure afghan and then pick the best representation? And then try to make the new afghan line a stable F5 or F6. It might not be 100% afghan, but I'd be happy with 85-90% afghan. It seems that TFD must use a good parents because they have good seedlines. With my limited knowledge on breeding/growing, now something like this I could never be able to do. But it seems that there are some really knowledgeable people on here like yourself who could do something like this. Another one that would be nice line to make F2's with is TFD's POG because of the current Kush craze.

I don't know. It's just a thought.