What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST TURBOKLONE 1ST CYCLE COMPLETE FAILURE

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yesterday was Day 14, I saw 2 cuts had roots and they were very small single thin strand and not that healthy-looking - and a day later one actually fell off so Im down to 1. All of the cuttings aren't slimy or rotten, just no roots, and wilting now with the dome removed for 24 Hours after D14 yesterday.

Cuttings
6 Different strains, 4 cuts each. 24 Sites completely full. I know a few cuts are from plants a few weeks into flowering. I didn't expect these to root, but I didn't have them backed up and wanted to at least try, so I don't lose the genetics (story of my life). But the majority is from healthy plants in veg.

Lights
18/6. Turboklone is set up underneath a 4' fixture of 2x17 watt led 4K tubes. You could say that it is underneath 1/2 of this area at most so 1/2 of 34w is 17W. 4" from tubes. Lumen meter shows 10-12K Lumens.

Resevoir
TAP is 220PPM, added 100ppm of REMO bloom/micro nutrients, adjusted PH to 5.6. No Hormones, as I wanted to keep things simple with what I had here, and I have heard plenty reports of it really not making a difference for many people. Changed RES at Day 7, this time adding a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide (3% strength). Completely washed out the RES and all parts with soap and vinegar at res change.

Humidity
First 7 days I kept dome on getting 90-100% humidity, taking it off for an hour per day
Day 7-14 I would remove it for 2-3 hours at a time, then put it back on for a couple of hours because they wouldn't stay perky during this time. Yesterday when I saw that they had not rooted well, I decided to take the dome off permanently and see what happens. The picture is 24 hours after.

Temps
Aquarium heater in the Res, connected to a temp Controller, set to 78F and it has a range of 1F, so it stays between 77-79.
The grow room is at 72F (lights on) 68F Lights off. When the dome is on the top area stays warmer so around 74-76 Lights on.

Need to know what do to differently on this next cycle I will be starting in a few days. I have struggled trying to clone for 3 years. I really thought an aero cloner would help me get consistent results, but it looks like my cloning doom cloud has followed me to other systems.
Any suggestions appreciated.

picture.php

picture.php

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Try taking smaller cuttings and keep your temps down inside the cloner.

Your light may be too strong and is keeping the clones in grow mode.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yeah looks like way too much foliage, so much surface area for them to transpire all their moisture out.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Ok thanks guys, will keep temps at 74 in the res on the next one, make smaller cuts. I will keep the light 1 foot away instead of 4". That should bring it from 10K lummens to 6-7K.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yeah looks like way too much foliage, so much surface area for them to transpire all their moisture out.

I just thought that since there are 24 so close together, that most of those leaves arent getting that much light and in the shade so not a lot of transpiration. Things were looking fine with the dome on. but after 2 weeks, I was like ok enough with the dome!

Esme

hey mate, Drop the humdity bring it down to 72-68rh with a temp of 75f this for the lights on, Trust me you don't want 100/90RH do that and that would be perfect for clone's, don't put under direct light is another one people tend to-do, try the 72/68RH AND 75F and see what happens. you want the water at 68F

Esme

That is the perfect VPD for clones and i never fail to get them rooting at that temp and RH, I always try to keep my RH with my temp's, I've even have run 70/80RH with temps about 90f and pulled amazing without any bud rot, i tend to keep the RH down now but if i can't get my temps down I will run high RH

Esme

Also look at getting a data logger so when you do clone and it work's you can see what has happend you can get them that plug into the PC so you can grab the data of it and look at it, It takes temp humdity reading every 10secs i can send a link to the one i use

Mattbho

Those are plants not clones hehe but I bet u wait another week on the standing ones they will root . I see bumps

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
OK I will give it a shot. Hard to lower humidty with the turboklone as the cover doesn't have any vent holes. Its either on or off.

Esme

OK I will give it a shot. Hard to lower humidty with the turboklone as the cover doesn't have any vent holes. Its either on or off.

Can you try getting some holes in the lid

Water temp could be a problem make sure your on top of that if it's low get a aquarium heater or if it's too hot get a water chiller then don't cost much money and can save the day when in the summer

What nutes do you use in this?

I would run Grow nute 0.5ec/ 0.7ec + tap water then a Enzyme & Voodo juice. keep system running 24/7 then top up with water when the EC is getting higher then start again, give 2 weeks and you should have big big roots.

Not sure what the EC is in PPM's mate

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Hey man - check out eric2028’s post in the coco forum. He has a great nute formula to use. I just started using it and I have nice roots on day 10.

aod

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why do you need a dome? In a turbocloner? They require no dome. Just take your cuts and put them in. I use an ezcloner which is basically the same thing and ive never used a dome for that in 10 years. Rooting in rockwool different story.

webeblzr

I'm no expert on cloning, I always want to cut on a diagonal angle where a leaflet or branch is coming off the main stalk, as if I remember correctly, that area is where the most root action seems to start at.
I see in your first photo, is a branch, going into 2 different pucks. Myself, I'd cut both shoots off the main stalk, even leaving a bit of the stalk bump, as IMHO it would be an easier place for roots to burst through at. Roots can grow out of the main stalk, hell you can root a fan leaf, but it's only going to be a rooted fan leaf.
Many years ago, I hit a clone making wall, every cut gave me the finger, in peralite, in RR's, peat pucks, bubble cloner, rock wool, I could get nothing for a few months.
I bought a bottle, of maybe Green Fire, or something like that, a rooting tonic of sorts. That stuff, or the SEVER cleaning of my whole area, with bleach, and then I used a sanitizing light that would burn your skin if you made that mistake. I sanitized, and sprayed bleach water, for 3 days, as someone had suggested to me back then.
I got roots, so either the tonic, or the sanitizing worked well.
Best to ya!

Asslover

Veteran
Imvho, if temps were too warm you would’ve had rotten stems by now...
Looks like a lot of foliage though. Cloners in general are fickle contraptions. When the work good they work GREAT, but when they act up it could lead to divorces :biggrin:
One sure fire way I have found to keep my cloner pumping out healthy cuttings was to use an “Ice Probe”. It keeps water temps as cold as I want consistently. Haven’t had an issue in the years I’ve been using it.
Have a look...
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Why do you need a dome? In a turbocloner? They require no dome. Just take your cuts and put them in. I use an ezcloner which is basically the same thing and ive never used a dome for that in 10 years. Rooting in rockwool different story.

My veg room has a veg tent inside that has an exhaust fan on high to keep humidity low. This causes a fair amount of air exhange around the clones and a humidity of 50% RH. If you had low air exchange and 60-70% RH in the corner of your veg room, and yes you would probably not need a dome. I have attempted a lot of cloning without domes recently and all have failed. I think I had most of my success when keeping the dome on, so will try that this time.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Over the weekend I started the new run, that you guys get to witness and give feedback on all in real time. Any insights or comments are welcome.

I started by cleaning everything with bleach in the bath tub - the trays,the domes, the turbo kloner (ran it with the bleach solution inside for an hour). As well as the scissors, razor blades, cutting board.

I also gave many of these plants I took the cuts from bloom nutrients instead of vegging, so less nitrogen should be in the plant tissue.

The ones I did in Rockwell Cubes I dipped in aloe and then in rooting compound powder. Don't have any other cloning solutions or gels until later this week. Soaked cubes in 5.6 PH/ 220PPM TAP water - no nutrients, this is the mix I made for the Turboklone as well.
20200314_125852.jpg

These are the Gorilla Bubble Clones. I did a whole tray of these. I did 2 cuttings per cube. So if I get 50% sucess rate, I still get 1 clone per cube. If both root, I just split the cube and transplant into cups with soil. I don't mind the transplant shock, usually if they have roots they will make it and thats all that matters right now.
20200315_203137.jpg
20200315_203224.jpg

Seedling Mat Heat Controller set to 77F. This controller has a wider range of almost 2-3F, so this way it goes between 75-80, but mostly stays in the 77 target range.
20200315_203021.jpg

Heres the other tray. each row front to back is a different strain. I split one cube into 2 halves and then 1 cut per half.
20200315_203318.jpg

1x17W 4K LED Tube @ 18/6, 10" from tops of clones = 8,000 Lumens
20200315_202845.jpg

1X 20W 3K LED floodlight 20" From Clones = 6,000 LUMENS, on 18/6.
20200315_202900.jpg

RES temp is set at 72F, so the range is 71-73, using an aquarium heater attached to thermostat controller. The top temperature is the same 72F with the dome on. Ambient Room temp is 70F lights on, 67 lights off.
20200315_202941.jpg

Each row of 4 is a different strain, plus 3 Gorilla Bubbles, so can do a side by side comparison to the rockwell cube gorrila bubbles. I only used the powdered hormone, no aloe, as I didn't want the organic matter gunking up the resevoir and causing problems. I have ordered a resevoir hormone concentrate to add and should be here in a few days. I will be buying the ez clone rooting compound, and REMO roots cloning compound tomorrow or day after and will apply it to them again then.
20200315_202920.jpg

Pics are from yesterday. They look good today. When I go into the veg room everyday I will be removing the covers for 10-20 minutes on all of them to get some air exchange. And maybe 2-3 times everyday when I check on them I will take the dome off and give them a good 10 second fanning/wafting for air exchange. Other than that I will keep the domes on. I honestly think that has been my number one mistake. Thinking lower humidity will encourage root growth so the sooner the better to remove them. But this would just cause them to stress without wilting but simply not putting on any roots. I know some people don't have domes, but it all depends on the environment. in my veg room I have an exhaust fan on high, to keep down the humidity in the veg tent, so there is air movement in the room, and the clones are getting the dryest air @ 45/50 % RH before it goes into the tent and then out. So I think domes are best for me. I won't be doing any misting.

Will check and adjust Turbo Res every 2 days. And will make updates on here every 2 days as well. I spent so much time on this over the weekend, I am giving it my best effort, and hopefully you guys can watch my back and give support, and watch me succeed. If I fail, I will slip into a deep depression, as I won't know what to do differently.

Attachments

• 20200314_125852.jpg
    20200314_125852.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200315_202845.jpg
    20200315_202845.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200315_202900.jpg
    20200315_202900.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200315_202920.jpg
    20200315_202920.jpg