What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orange Grove guerrilla grow

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Spring is here! :woohoo: And we all know what that means... Time to get out in the bush, get our hands dirty, and backs sore.

This year I will be growing a strain that I grew out last season and really liked... Orange Grove

This strain has a thick stalk, tight internodes, good pest resistance, thick buds with a lot of resin, and an unmistakable orange smell. It was very hardy for me and took lots of abuse... I neglected the males (no food or water) growing out of contractor bags for a month and they kept on kicking much longer than they should have. The only issue I had was with botrytis, but I pollinated the females to create more seeds which led to more mold. This year I plan to weed out the males and do a garden of just ladies.

Seeds are ready and were wrapped in a damp paper towel then put in a bag to germinate tonight.

Let the season begin! :plant grow:

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 35
R

Rab.C

Hey JustSomeTomatoes all the best with the grow.i am subbed for the show this is going
too be great Rab.C

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool sounds good! Isnt that a deep chunk hybrid? Got any pics from last year?

JustSumTomatoes

Sounds like a nice plant, beautiful looking seeds too! Do you know anything about its heritage?
Thanks, the lineage is Las Vegas Purple Kush x Hindu Kush x AE77 CaliO x Deepchunk

Hey JustSomeTomatoes all the best with the grow.i am subbed for the show this is going
too be great Rab.C
Thanks for stopping by man.

cool sounds good! Isnt that a deep chunk hybrid? Got any pics from last year?
Yep, it's 1/4 Deep Chunk. Here's a 7 foot female from last year...

Attachments

• 100_0547.jpg
    100_0547.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 40

JustSumTomatoes

Checked on the seeds and it looks like they are viable. I'm going to transfer the ones with tails to starter cups tonight and leave the unpopped ones in the paper towel another day or two.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 36

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool! Looking good! What is AE77 and Cali O? I've heard of cali O. Does that have sativa influence. Deep Chunk is great for breeding programs! Needs just a touch of sativa! Thanks or sharing, brother! Looking forward to watching! Got the soil prepped at the plots yet?

JustSumTomatoes

Cool! Looking good! What is AE77 and Cali O? I've heard of cali O. Does that have sativa influence. Deep Chunk is great for breeding programs! Needs just a touch of sativa! Thanks or sharing, brother! Looking forward to watching! Got the soil prepped at the plots yet?
AE77 is a particular clone of CaliO (California Orange) that was gifted to Cannacopia seeds by Chimera. They used it to do the cross to Deep Chunk. I don't know a ton about it, but it supposedly reeks of oranges and the smell carries well through crosses. From what I know there is some Sativa in there. Here is a thread on it...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=304028

Orange Grove wasn't created by me, it was gifted to me by another grower on the forums that did a LVPK cross to Hindu Kush then crossed that to Cannacopia's cross. The result is Orange Grove...The seeds I'm running now are f2's (Orange Grove X Orange Grove) made from last years crop.

I haven't made it out to dig yet. We've had an insane amount of rain I'm waiting on to die down, and I'm waiting for the foliage in the woods to thicken up to give me more security and cover. I'm hoping to have them in the ground around mid-June.

I decided to wait another day to pot everything up. Out of the 27 that were put in there 26 seeds germinated, with several quickly putting out a nice tap root and casting off their seed shells. No problems with helmet head here. I selected the strongest and healthiest 15 out of the bunch to pot up, then I culled the rest. The soil I used was Happy Frog straight from the bag, no amendments. They were given tap water with an added drop of pH down and a pinch of Jack's Classic Blossom Booster.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 29

JustSumTomatoes

So, 14 of the 15 seeds have sprouted. I'm going to give the one a few more days to pop up, if not it's getting culled and the others will be taken to a growing spot I use for seedlings for a few weeks to mature before I bring them in to flower so I can sort out the males.

I plan on doing 4-5 females at the plot this year, not a lot but enough to provide me with meds until next year. Last year I did male and female mixed at the plot to make more seeds. Too many plants and seeds for me to deal with lol.

We've been having storms on and off all day. The rain this spring just won't back down. One of the bridges I use to access the plot has been closed because of flood damage. I don't see drought being a problem at all this season.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 38
R

Rab.C

Great germ rates JST i am looking forward too your grow cant wait too see them in
full bloom

JustSumTomatoes

The one sprout never popped up in the cup so it was culled today. The 14 remainders were moved to a temporary grow area outdoors to veg for a bit until I flower them to reveal sex. Man, if these storms we keep having would ever back off I could go dig the plot out...

JustSumTomatoes

So this is funny, there is an area in my yard that is one big pile of bird seed shells, bird droppings, worms, and compost. I've actually been considering using this to mix in the soil at my grow. Wasn't sure if it would be good or not, guess today that question was answered for me. :)

I was watering my hanging plant and putting new seed in the bird feeder, and as I was doing this I looked down to see a familiar sight... I've been throwing all my seeds and stems in the bird seed pile hoping my avian friends would take care of them but I guess not lol. I have no idea how I didn't see it before but it sure caught me off guard.

I saw many other MJ seedlings among the sunflower seedlings. Those will all he hoed out, as for the big one, I'm really thinking of transplanting it. Just not sure what is, either Orange Grove or Northern lights X Orange Grove. Either way it's good enough to grow itself and stay hidden. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Blizzard
    Blizzard
    71.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 40

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Nice find, that things healthy. Funny Im growing Northern Lights and Orange Bud crosses this season also haha. Im out of rep :(.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats awesome! Its been a few weeks evidently! Hemp seed is really healthy for you, I bet those are happy birds! Thanks for sharing!

Get the plots dug? Lots of storms swirling around. I'm looking good here. Sun for the next couple days.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Hey looking good friend!!!! Ive got a few plants that size I gotta get out to my guerilla site.

JustSumTomatoes

Nice find, that things healthy. Funny Im growing Northern Lights and Orange Bud crosses this season also haha. Im out of rep :(.
Looks like the bugs chewed it up a little, but other than that it's doing alright. The area is fairly shaded too. Kind of funny to think about all the pampering we do to our plants when ones like these grow themselves! Not sure if our genetics come from similar lines but I feel both Nl and the orange are very hardy and resilient. No worries on the rep. :tiphat:
Thats awesome! Its been a few weeks evidently! Hemp seed is really healthy for you, I bet those are happy birds! Thanks for sharing!

Get the plots dug? Lots of storms swirling around. I'm looking good here. Sun for the next couple days.
I really like the taste of hemp/MJ seeds, they just get stuck in my tonsils so I avoid eating them. The birds couldn't be happier! I also get squirrels, deer, raccoon, opossum, skunks, hawks, owls and even the occasional bald eagle in my yard!

Unfortunately I haven't dug the plot out yet. There is another spot I've been eyeing for years, a swamp, I'm thinking of throwing a few plants out there too. All we've had is rain, rain, and more rain. It stormed on and off today. Last year I had them planted on June 11th, but it's going to be a little late this year. That's ok, the latest I've planted was early July and things turned out well. Fingers crossed the rain dies down.
Hey looking good friend!!!! Ive got a few plants that size I gotta get out to my guerilla site.
Hey thanks for stopping by man! How has the rain been for you? I guess this year I don't have to do as much watering! :woohoo:

JustSumTomatoes

The weather is finally starting to get nice, so yesterday I stopped by the plot to drop off some straw and fertilizer. To my surprise I found that my grow had started without me!

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 32

JustSumTomatoes

Well, so far this season my plants seem to be doing a better job of growing themselves than I am at growing them. :)

Last season I grew my plants out of contractor bags with about 14 gallons of Happy Frog soil added, a gallon of perlite, and fertilizer (Jobes Organic all purpose and bone/blood/feather meal) for each plant. Holes punched in the bottom of the bags allowed for drainage and roots to search deeper for water. At the end of the season I cut all the buds and colas off and what was left were skeletons and bamboo stakes.

I'm guessing that some seeds fell down into the bag when I harvested in October. That was the 11 foot Northern Lights (my largest plant) which came out of that bag so it must be NL X Orange Grove.

Definitely deserves a re-pot. Hole was 14 inches deep, 25 inches wide. Holds about 30 gallons. Recycled Happy Frog and perlite, mixed with commercial NPK 12-12-12 fertilizer. Straw on top to act as mulch. Plant was given a much deserved watering.
:plant grow:

I must add that those military type folding shovels are an excellent tool for the field. It collapses and is easy to carry, as well as being able to dig a hole of this size in a reasonable amount of time. Can also be used as a pick ax or hoe.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG 2195
    IMG 2195
    111.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg