What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I got a lot to say about tomatoes but not sure this is the direction Frank was intending :biggrin:

A big Italian juicy red salad tomato, bursting with flavour, retains some green on top of the scallops even when fully ripe. I'm also trying to preserve the line as the supplier failed.

Also got a cherry tomato shrub which is super hardy and a massive producer, but the quality of the fruit is nowhere near the big one mentioned above which is of course prone to disease, this is outdoor. Gonna try them indoors next winter inspired by this thread.

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Is the white tomato a cherry or full size? I have a large white and a cherry white. The cherry produces fruit that matches your description. Some plants do, others make golf balls, in texture and flavor, absolute spitters.

Best of luck preserving those lines!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Got Bud? - If I could justify the cost of running indoor tomatoes and other veggies year round in space that could otherwise be grown for cannabis...my entire house would
just need to be a soil bed with rugs and stepping stones in a few places. Nice stock up on the homemade sauce, though!!!

@CannaRed - I can't find a modern Roma worth giving space to in the garden. Always bland and mealy no matter what I do. However, there is a Roma variety developed by Oregon State that is fantastic if you can manage to keep it fed. It seems like it was developed for greenhouse/hydro systems and growing it in soil it's like there is just NEVER enough calcium available for all the fruit it sets. Plants will fill a 5 gallon bucket and the fruit is truly classic old school bright tomato with a decent acid bite. I'll have to drop you a PM when I remember the variety name.

@moses wellfleet - I could talk tomatoes and most vegetables for as long as I can discuss cannabis. I'm a true seed junky and it doesn't stop even with edible things. I randomly collect seeds from plants just about every where I go. If I see something I like, I'll research it and learn when it sets seed and go back to in the right time of year to collect. Each year, the vault gets bigger and the yard gets more added. Can't help myself.

You know the green top is tied to a gene trait for even ripening. That same gene trait is directly tied and controls the sugar production of the fruits. When farmers wanted even ripening varieties, they started selectively breeding away from the green shoulders and by default made tomatoes bland and tasteless and well, everything they sell at the grocery store today.

Many tomato breeders have back tracked and tried to rebuild much of the modern gene pool with the knowledge gained from the genome.

@Lester Beans - The white is a full sized fruit. 8-14oz in general. Makes a very faint pink blush on the blossom end when ripe. If left on the vine too long, it'll take a more creamy faint yellowish hue. I know what she called the line, is NOT the same fruits that are commercially available under that same name. The other white fruits I've grown just haven't impressed me at all. This one, is a league a part and it was just something I stumbled on. Sort of why I'm willing to give up some space in flower to ensure this one variety stay true and isn't lost to me. I like weird things.

Thanks for the good vibes, everyone!!! :joint:

Speaking of seeds, big shout out to Drohammad Seed Co for coming through with some new selections, with a very special story to them.

Mycotek gave Josey some GG4 Bx7 seeds. JW shared them with a friend (if you know you know) before he passed. It might very well be one of the last things he gave away, as was his nature. Those seeds were sorted and a male was used to hit a few lines. I'm more than honored to have these seeds for hunting.

picture.php

SureShot = (Raspberry Kush x Sherbert) x GSC

Flamethrower = Fire OG x (SFV x Tahoe) via Rainman

Bubba's Breath = OGKB 2.0 x Katsu Bubba via Katsu

Creme de al Blue = Blueberry Muffin x SureShot

:respect:

dank.Frank

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
hell yeah frank, some nice beans indeed. and ya know, i was thinking about doing some tomatoes and lettuce in the small tent lol

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Bubbas Breath sounds like a winner, The Katsu is still to this day the best weed I've ever seen or smoked anywhere in the world. To each their own for me It's Katsu over everything.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
@Got Bud? - If I could justify the cost of running indoor tomatoes and other veggies year round in space that could otherwise be grown for cannabis...my entire house would
just need to be a soil bed with rugs and stepping stones in a few places. Nice stock up on the homemade sauce, though!!!

@CannaRed - I can't find a modern Roma worth giving space to in the garden. Always bland and mealy no matter what I do. However, there is a Roma variety developed by Oregon State that is fantastic if you can manage to keep it fed. It seems like it was developed for greenhouse/hydro systems and growing it in soil it's like there is just NEVER enough calcium available for all the fruit it sets. Plants will fill a 5 gallon bucket and the fruit is truly classic old school bright tomato with a decent acid bite. I'll have to drop you a PM when I remember the variety name.

@moses wellfleet - I could talk tomatoes and most vegetables for as long as I can discuss cannabis. I'm a true seed junky and it doesn't stop even with edible things. I randomly collect seeds from plants just about every where I go. If I see something I like, I'll research it and learn when it sets seed and go back to in the right time of year to collect. Each year, the vault gets bigger and the yard gets more added. Can't help myself.

You know the green top is tied to a gene trait for even ripening. That same gene trait is directly tied and controls the sugar production of the fruits. When farmers wanted even ripening varieties, they started selectively breeding away from the green shoulders and by default made tomatoes bland and tasteless and well, everything they sell at the grocery store today.

Many tomato breeders have back tracked and tried to rebuild much of the modern gene pool with the knowledge gained from the genome.

@Lester Beans - The white is a full sized fruit. 8-14oz in general. Makes a very faint pink blush on the blossom end when ripe. If left on the vine too long, it'll take a more creamy faint yellowish hue. I know what she called the line, is NOT the same fruits that are commercially available under that same name. The other white fruits I've grown just haven't impressed me at all. This one, is a league a part and it was just something I stumbled on. Sort of why I'm willing to give up some space in flower to ensure this one variety stay true and isn't lost to me. I like weird things.

Thanks for the good vibes, everyone!!! :joint:

Speaking of seeds, big shout out to Drohammad Seed Co for coming through with some new selections, with a very special story to them.

Mycotek gave Josey some GG4 Bx7 seeds. JW shared them with a friend (if you know you know) before he passed. It might very well be one of the last things he gave away, as was his nature. Those seeds were sorted and a male was used to hit a few lines. I'm more than honored to have these seeds for hunting.

View Image

SureShot = (Raspberry Kush x Sherbert) x GSC

Flamethrower = Fire OG x (SFV x Tahoe) via Rainman

Bubba's Breath = OGKB 2.0 x Katsu Bubba via Katsu

Creme de al Blue = Blueberry Muffin x SureShot

dank.Frank

Right on man, lookin forward to seein what u do with um! Ive already grown out some of the sureshot bx1 too, some of those came out rediculously loud.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran

dank.Frank

I enjoy tomatoes so much I'm willing to pay to grow them. Especially the two varieties I'll be starting off with. Moonglows and Atomic Grapes. Both did much better in the cooler weather of fall than the heat of summer. The Atomic Grapes went crazy once the temps were consistently below 80. Unfortunately, we had a couple of hard freezes before the fruit ripened enough to harvest, so I lost about 10 lbs. of tomatoes.

If I had enough light I'd try the German Pinks I grew this past year in my garden, which makes up the bulk of my sauce. But they need a lot of strong light to produce the 2-3lb. tomatoes I harvested. I'm hoping to break the 4 lb. mark next year with better planning, pruning, and selective fruiting.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
..time to try new things.....the Dank way....Franks way...

Almost there man, cant wait to see how this goes, thanks for the help man, also cant wait to see how your current run turns out, some dank beans for sure. :)

White Beard

I am LOVING the burst of tomatoes into the thread!

Next spring I will be putting out several kinds of ‘em - practice for my soil-mixing as much as my desire for tomatoes. I’ve been stuck with the ‘heirloom’ offerings at the local store, but I’ve had surprisingly good luck (who could’ve imagined?). I have one on the counter that is absolutely perfectly ripe, perfect sandwich-size, flawless - and I’ll be having tomato sandwiches for dinner...gonna save some seeds out of it for sure, if the flavor matches the presentation.

BTW next spring I’ll be relocating to the CO Rockies, so growing time approaches for real...I’m so excited!

midwestkid

Veteran
Just spent a week going through this thread. Lots of good info.
Thanks for making public your soil recipe Frank. That's very generous and helps a lot of us advance together and improve as a whole. Many thanks.

I don't see any bio char in the mix. Any thoughts about using it?
Also I've been looking at using some gro-kashi. Any thoughts about using that?

My personal favorite tomato is Black from Tula.
I tend to prefer Russian varieties.

Anyways thanks for all of your efforts. I hope 2021 treats you better.

Any updates on the BTY s1 project?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Med Grower Tom - it really is worth it to keep a small area for lettuce and quick greens production, even if microgreens some where on the veg shelf. It really is impossible to best true freshly harvested food. There are lots of good lettuce varieties and not a single one like to be overfed. It gets bitter quickly.

Side note - I'm beyond flattered you've spent the time and resources to run a garden based on the information provided in this thread. When I see something like that - it's true humility. It's a bit baffling that anyone would listen to me - yet I know what I post is truth - yet still - it makes me nervous and it's a bit of a rush, knowing you've placed faith and trust in.

Thank you. You're going to grow cannabis that you absolutely love. It makes all my meager efforts worth it.

@Blazeoneup - Yeah, I really need to get a good Bubba dom plant in the garden. Need those pain killing meds. Sort of hoping, FAM95 #6 - the short squat freak runt Afghan pheno - is going to be a drool inducing plant. It doesn't seem to want to grow much once topped...she is going to make bats if she manages to stretch at all.

@Get Mo - fwiw - I'm stoked for all the new gear. I can't thank you for your generosity enough. I sent 1/2 of everything from each line to Genetic Freaked - figured we'd be able to get through it faster - see more of it - if I just paid it forward a bit. Don't be surprised if your gear pops up with him - know it's legit. SureShot - has my attention. Was always keeping an ear to the ground for what Zoolander worked with, and he took a liking to that Raspberry Kush. The fact you did as well and worked her into a custom line - it definitely has my attention.

@Got Bud - Brad Gates does some interesting work, but much of what he built on was bred by Tom Wagner and his various segregations. Wild Boar Farms stuff doesn't seem to thrive the best in a overly humid environment though, so some of his lines just don't perform for me. If I'm looking for a saucing fruit, my absolute favorite is rosso sicilian. If you've never tried it, I suggest you do. It'll change what you think sauce should be.

I've never really grown for size, mostly because they end up mealy - but if that is your thing, you should certainly be participating in state and county fairs to earn a reputation for your monsters.

@asher1er - F.A.M.I.L.Y. - what it do! - you know if anything of merit surfaces, I already checked before the hand out if it was good to share with the crew. If it's in my garden and worthy of repeat performances, I'm going to hand others the mic.

@White Beard - I've learned tomatoes are not anything like Cannabis and they really do seem to do better with timed liquid teas and feeds. About 7-10 days before the bulk fruit set matures, it's great to either top feed higher nitrogen veg base or push it through the drip lines. This will promote new meristem growth which will expose more fruiting sites, which once set, the feeding can switch back to letting the plant focus on maturing and ripening those fruit vs vegetative vine growth.

Hope that makes sense, but I've found this to be the best way to keep them chugging and producing. If heading to colder regions, I'd suggest starting the veggie garden indoors, hardening off under plastic, then moving to open air / field planting. Hard to get the most of something with a limited production season.

@midwestkid - Bio Char I find to be more effective in soils that are extremely sandy and are seriously lacking in any type of true organic matter outside of crop roots or cover crop tillage. I have tried mixes with it present, but it ended up being one of those things I didn't see a gain or loss from it's inclusion.

However, large acreage farming sees massive improvements in nutrient retention and moisture retention, again, when working with soils that are on the more sandy side.

BTY s1 - still lurking. Nothing to add to date. I'm going to need more space before I really dive into that project, because it will become very all consuming. So much potential in that.

--------------------------

FAM 95 UPDATE - ALL 7 of these plants are female. Luck of the draw, but I was really hoping to make F2s. Oh well. It'll just force me to be more responsible as I would not be surprised to find 2 or 3 serious winners in these plants. They are going to explode in flower. Should be a fantastic run.

11-21 was day 1 of 12/12. The bed was amended. Plants taken out of fabric pots and transplanted the same day. I'm not worried about impact on yield. These plants have a 2.5 gallon root balls that were growing through the fabric pots. It's going to be a great run and an excellent canopy. The stems don't really seem to NEED support, and I'm still debating if I'm going to stake them all out or run a screen. Probably going to run a screen, as I expect fat colas on fat stems, but don't want to risk lazy turning into a sloppy canopy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's going to be a full on competition for space. I'll have to thin things out more and give focus to the branches filling the top. Probably won't do much thinning until about day 10-14. Want them to recover from transplant shock first.

Stay tuned, though. Seriously. These plants truly reek. The runty fat leafed Afghan leaning plant, has me sort of disappointed it doesn't have pollen to share, but I'm very interested in some stupid heavy unique chem infused indica drool inducing flowers. Maybe she'll fit the bill.

Things are just getting interesting again. Hitting a stride in the garden where seeds have to be sprouted to keep plants coming...I can't seem to clone anything to save my life right now. Honestly, it's becoming a serious issue. About to switch back to the winder hydro system. (bubble cloner) Seems to work when nothing else will. Cloning has always been hit or miss for me. Definitely my weak point currently.

Much love to everyone. I can't thank you enough for giving me an outlet to share my truth.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Man that bubbas breath i used was a real bubba leaner, strong relaxation n body high. Its been everybodies favorite along with vibranium out this years outdo.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I go back and forth on cloning, the ez cloner is hard to beat for speed in the winter but the ease of the peat plugs has pulled me back to being patient. The “root raft” works real nice too. I soak plugs in 2-3ml hormex and 5ml clonex a gallon for a few minutes, ph to 6. The big thing to remember is to squeeze the plugs out. Plugs in a liner holding them off the bottom. Put just a thin layer of the water in the bottom of the tray and cover the tray venting every day just fanning with the lid a few times. 98% in 2 weeks under a single bulb t5

Put a net over that bed or regret it later

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Frank - I'm not intentionally growing for size. I'm all about the taste. These German Pinks are just bigger than anything I've ever grown before and really tasty. Very meaty and juicy. They're awesome.

I'll have to source some of those rosso sicilians if you're recommending them. I expect they'll be spectacular.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Get Mo - noted

@Itsmychoice - I've considered a float tray style with air pump and stones. I need to switch it up to something with better strike rates for sure. I'm leaning towards screening. I always regret when I don't.

@Got Bud - I've grown several larger varieties over the years with mixed results. I haven't ever selectively cullee some fruits to increase size of a single fruit though. There is an art to it like growing anything else.

10wks will be Jan 30th / 31st.

dank.Frank

Mattbho

So your rocking again !! I don't know if i mentioned it . But your soil killed it indoors in 20gal softpots.

Care to share what you put on soil this round ? Or was it just a few cups of the mineral mix .

Seedlings looking killer frank , all this food talk makin me hungry !

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Mattbho - You did mention you were giving the mix a run. I'm glad to hear that everything went well. Would LOVE to see some pictures sometime.

You still running anything from that ChemSour x SSCDH line?

This round was amended with 2x the full recipe mix, which is generally what I add back into the bed every flowering cycle. I want to say I added a bit extra aragonite, dolomite, gypsum to the mix this round to compensate for how chemdog lines tend to feed and there is a lot of chem in this cross.

dank.Frank

Veggia farmer

Cool to see some great results on organic beds. Been doing beds for many years now. Started as an organic outdoor grower and went more inside due to some practically issues and it just felt like the normal thing to do, beds. Since I already got good results outdoors imo.

Im honest havent read everything in this thread... But did you ever do traditinally SOG in bed? Im gonna try that myself. Did 16 trees in 1,2x,12 or 4x4 before, easy to veg to much, lol....

In my eyes its very easy to get big colas in beds, lot of nutes avaible all the time. But they often like a rough treatment here... Defolation, water cycles etc.. Will make the medium ligher and more airy/drainage next time. Adding Coco and hydroton into the soil/compost mix.. Someplants would love to take more food and other easily showed that it was overfeed. Same bed, different strain. Will rather feed or topdress the hungry ones ,then feeding it all more. Also would be nice to water more often I think, we will see. Plan on installing watering system so I can give a little, often...

You water seldom and heavy or often smaller amounts? My best bed grows I watered often and feed almost everytime small amounts of Bio bizz or other products as such or homemade stuff using compost or manure etc...

I also have used some native soil here to inculate the medium. Game changer. I think... I have added a lot over the years. A little of everything. But now the soil also smell and taste like forest soil.

Looking Dank, Frank:good:

Last edited: