What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lap Does LEDs - My DIY Quantum Board Cabinet

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Yeah here's an update: my shit's all fucked up and I have no idea what's going on. I suppose a soil test would help but that's not an option for me right now.

Shit got really ugly last round (when I stopped posting pictures) shortly after I added co2. I added it around 2 weeks after I flipped, and then they continued to stretch for another 5-6 weeks and got real stupid looking. Not good.

I put 2 new plants in there 2 weeks ago with a double handful of ewc and they are just getting worse and worse. No co2 going. Just a small ceramic space heater in the room.
picture.php

Eli Bloom

Lap mine looked just like that when i got root rot over the summer.

only other thing i could think of is a heavy salt build up. what's your runoff like?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had the exact same thing happen when I tried Foxfarms soil for the first time many years ago. Within a couple days the plants went from dark green and healthy to the same yellowish sickly look in your pics. I tried flushing the soil with water but it didn't help at all. Tried adding some lime to some, didn't matter. Tried to add some borax to others, didn't help. I struggled with them through the whole round and ended up with the lowest yield I ever had. Told myself from that experience that if it happened again, I'd just pull the plants and start over with a new batch of soil. It just wasn't worth the time and effort for the results I got, and no matter what I did, the plants never rebounded.

I haven't tried Foxfarms soil again. I've stuck with Promix and never had that happen to my plants again.

h.h.

Veteran
Don't add more water. It's probably saturated. You need air. Bamboo skewer and prod if anything. Depending on severity, you can pull out some plugs with a half inch pipe, fill the holes with drainage material or don't.

Lapides

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions.

They're looking better, they didn't die. Put a few heaps of ewc on top and they started turning around. I'll probably flip in about a week.
picture.php

zappa66

Lapides,

I'm very pleased for you, glad that they turned the corner. This thread has been a great inspiration for me. Best wishes for your endeavors!

Safe Gardener

Just found this thread last night and I think I've read through it four times already. Really like the homeade cab/lighting. Great job on the first round and turning this one around. Anyone looking to do a small setup with big results would be wise to check in on this setup.

I had a plant do that earlier, and it was a lack of oxygen at the root zone. check for good O2 source at the root zone. I use the Soma method of an air zone at the bottom of the container with a tube for air and water. great recovery.

Lapides

Veteran
Yes the whole bottom of the cabinet is a soma style bed actually. Last run when I saw my plants get all funky I stopped caring about that run. It got very very cold in there, like 40's and 50's for many weeks. Then after I chopped the plants, the soil dried out after a few weeks of no water.

My thinking is that everything good in the dirt died and then I just watered a bit too much when I put those new plants in and kept watering when they wouldn't turn around.

I've got a bunch of happy worms crawling around now and the plants seem well on the rebound. I just have to flip soon before I completely run out of room.

Thanks for checking in.

h.h.

Veteran
Much is going to depend on your mix. It's getting filled up with roots and needs more air.
Adding amendments to fix the problem only adds more water. I'd consider loosening up your next mix. Or use the same mix with less water.
I use a tile sponge to water. I can squeeze it evenly over the soil surface. I just keep the top wet, about 3 or 4 squeezings. Water to waste every 4 waterings or so just so there's no salt build up.
Looks like you weren't too far off. Good to see a turn around.

Lapides

Veteran
Whew, they finally came around. I flipped them a couple days ago. I had to do some serious hedgetrimming tho.

picture.php

picture.php