What's new

Anyone growing in strictly ocean forest with FF nutes? Feedback welcome

I'm on the hunt for a feeding schedule that works.

Currently I have 6 plants in 2gal buckets, pure ocean forest.

I plan on using this feeding schedule, which I found on another forum.

Please let me know what you think.

Grow Big--$16
Tiger Bloom--$16
Big Bloom --$16
Open Seseme--$23
ChaChing--$23
Beastie Bloom --$23
And the Optional : Bush Doctor Sledgehammer--$26

The last 4 Products are used in small quantities and only at specific times during the grow.

Here's the FoxFarms Feeding Schedule for Soil... Hydro is MUCH more complex, unless you use bubblers then you can follow a Phasic feeding schedule (At end of weekly schedule!)

FOX FARMS FEEDING SCHEDULES

WEEKLY FEEDING- per Gallon

Sprouting and week 1--BigBloom 2TBS
week 2-- 2tsp Grow Big + 2TBS Big Bloom
Week 3--3tsp Grow Big + 2TBS Big Bloom
Week 4--JUST 3 tspGrow Big + 1/4 tsp Open Sesame
Week 5 same as week 4 unless going 12/12--

Week 5- OR--day 1 of 12/12-- 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Open Sesame
Week 6--same as above
Week 7-- 2 Tsp Grow Big + 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/4 tsp Beastie Bloom
Week 8-- 2Tsp Grow Big + 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Beastie Bloom
Week 9-- 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/4 tsp Cha Ching
week 10-- Same as above
Week 11--2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Cha Ching

At beginning of week 11--Check Trichomes-- Flush if ready.. otherwise, continue as with week 11 every week until you flush!

Also recommended--but not a necessity--
Bush Doctor Sledgehammer (prevents lock-out)
use 2 drops per gallon of water between feedings starting in week 4 of 12/12

Currently in Week 3 of flower, no nutes added at this point. Definitely noticing the high nitrogen in ocean forest.

(4) GreenHouse Seeds Chemdog
(1) Goblin Queen (Blackwater Phenotype)
(1) Delicious Seeds Cotton Candy

In Veg week 3, no nutes added yet

(1) Barney Farms Cookies Kush
(1) GreenHouse Seeds Chemdog
(1) Holy Grail

In the cloner, day 5
(4) Delicious Seeds Cotton Candy

St. Phatty

There's a lot of money in Grow Supplements.

I use FFOF too. With a top dressing of worm castings, and guano teas about every other day.

I am concerned about nitrogen toxicity...

All of the plants were up-potted from 1 to 2 gallon buckets, in pure ocean forest. I noticed that some of them were yellowing, so I started the feeding schedule (above) at week 5 of 12/12.

The chemdog plants seem to be curling the worst, but I can see signs of it in the cotton candy too. The goblin queen (in the back left) looks healthies of all.

What do y'all think? Should I flush? How can I combat the high levels of nitrogen in FF Ocean Forest?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tri_Cho_Me

I honestly think they look fine. Obviously a couple of those pics are showing 'the claw', but doesn't looks excessive.

I am using FF Ocean Forest mixed with Happy Frog, Worm Castings and extra perlite and have barely used nutes. The soil alone has enough. In my Solo cup, I didn't feed at all before I re-potted to the current 1 gallon Smart Pots. I re-potted with fresh soil, so there again, I'm adding fresh nutes right there. I would hold off on spending all that money on those expensive nutes. Research the K.I.S.S. method. The thread on it on here is great.

I think sometimes we get caught up in thinking we need to pump our plants full of all this crap to make them grow, when in reality, they would grow simply with soil and water. This is a WEED after all...

How do big pharmaceuticals make their money? They make their money on the come back. People get hooked on their drugs and keep coming back. The same is true with these nutrient people. They want you to think that there is a powder, gel, or solution for everything.

Do yourself a favor and save your money. Start out with the least amount possible, then move your way up. Was a 1/4 strength enough? How did she react after? What was 1/2 strength like? Learn their reactions and take note of your methods and measurements. Once you get to know them, you'll be an expert in no time.

Good luck!

Tri_Cho_Me

I honestly think they look fine. Obviously a couple of those pics are showing 'the claw', but doesn't looks excessive.

I am using FF Ocean Forest mixed with Happy Frog, Worm Castings and extra perlite and have barely used nutes. The soil alone has enough. In my Solo cup, I didn't feed at all before I re-potted to the current 1 gallon Smart Pots. I re-potted with fresh soil, so there again, I'm adding fresh nutes right there. I would hold off on spending all that money on those expensive nutes. Research the K.I.S.S. method. The thread on it on here is great.

I think sometimes we get caught up in thinking we need to pump our plants full of all this crap to make them grow, when in reality, they would grow simply with soil and water. This is a WEED after all...

How do big pharmaceuticals make their money? They make their money on the come back. People get hooked on their drugs and keep coming back. The same is true with these nutrient people. They want you to think that there is a powder, gel, or solution for everything.

Do yourself a favor and save your money. Start out with the least amount possible, then move your way up. Was a 1/4 strength enough? How did she react after? What was 1/2 strength like? Learn their reactions and take note of your methods and measurements. Once you get to know them, you'll be an expert in no time.

Good luck!

Tri_Cho_Me

Thank you for the advice.

I have had pretty good luck using straight fox farm for the last few years. I have just used grow big towards the end of veg and tiger bloom during flower.

While I understand that simple is better, I'm also looking to try and produce a better quality product. I am starting with the lighter nutes once a week and watering with ph balanced RODI in between feedings.

This is the first time I've seen the curling, but it's also the first time I've up-potted before going in to flower. Typically I put them in a 2gal right after the clones root. Due to space restrictions, I've had to keep them in smaller pots during veg.

Will the nitrogen issues go away on their own as the plants grow and I continue to feed/water?

Should I avoid ALL additional nutes w/ nitrogen? How can I tell when nitrogen levels are within normal levels?

nay420

I ran FoxFarms soil with the trio for my first run, it went reasonably well.
I switched over to organic soil mix and it ended up not being as nice as my Fox Farms run until I dialed it in and figured out that less is more and that guano is pretty hot.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Currently in Week 3 of flower, no nutes added at this point. Definitely noticing the high nitrogen in ocean forest.

I am concerned about nitrogen toxicity...

All of the plants were up-potted from 1 to 2 gallon buckets, in pure ocean forest. I noticed that some of them were yellowing, so I started the feeding schedule (above) at week 5 of 12/12.

The chemdog plants seem to be curling the worst, but I can see signs of it in the cotton candy too. The goblin queen (in the back left) looks healthies of all.

What do y'all think? Should I flush? How can I combat the high levels of nitrogen in FF Ocean Forest?

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

So you went from week three of flowering to week five in one day? :)

Clawing isn’t necessarily a sign of an abundance of nitrogen. There are other possible factors, e.g., Ph imbalance, overwatering, humidity relative to transpiration, etc.,

My suggestion would be: do not flush them. Do not feed anything other than water. Ph’d water somewhere around 6.2 - 6.4.

But then that advise would be for week three...

You make no mention of how often you’re watering, environment... and those buckets look real large for 2 gal size... maybe just the camera angle?

With straight FFOF, you shouldn't need to add all that... Big Bloom every other watering and Tiger Bloom starting week 4 or 5. And or some Budswel.

Good luck!

amanda88

I can assure you if you have 100% FFOF you wont need to feed that much at all,

its so hot, that many, prefer to mix in 25% perlite, to cool it some, it also aids drainage

3gal is the better choice

cheers/

pH_This

Good luck!

Tri_Cho_Me

Yep... all of that. Put it in dirt, make sure it has water & light and it will grow. You'll figure it out - just don't over analyze, it makes it 100x harder to see the forest through the trees!

So you went from week three of flowering to week five in one day? :)

Clawing isn’t necessarily a sign of an abundance of nitrogen. There are other possible factors, e.g., Ph imbalance, overwatering, humidity relative to transpiration, etc.,

My suggestion would be: do not flush them. Do not feed anything other than water. Ph’d water somewhere around 6.2 - 6.4.

But then that advise would be for week three...

You make no mention of how often you’re watering, environment... and those buckets look real large for 2 gal size... maybe just the camera angle?

With straight FFOF, you shouldn't need to add all that... Big Bloom every other watering and Tiger Bloom starting week 4 or 5. And or some Budswel.

Good luck!

Sorry, I worded my post wrong. I started using the nutes on week 5 of the schedule, which is the first week of 12/12. The plants are actually on week 3 of flower.

I've been watering just ph 6.5 water for the past 3 weeks, room is AC controlled to 77, canopy temps peak around 79F. humidity is 50-60% in the room.

I up-potted them in to fresh OF soil at the end of Flower Week 1, thats when I noticed the claws start to form. I did add a good amount of mykos to each pot during the transition, but that's never caused an issue before.

I water about every 3 days, picking up each pot in between to get an idea on how dry they are.

It seems that the Chemdog has the worst 'clawing' out of all. The cotton candy and goblin queen do look pretty good, they are just starting to yellow at the tops which is why I've started feeding them.

I will stop worrying so much, go light on the nutes, and just see what happens.

I really appreciate everyones input here, I think the next go-round I will cut the OF with happy frog and add perlite. Does anyone have suggestions on what % of ocean forest to mix with happy frog, perlite, etc?

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Sorry, I worded my post wrong. I started using the nutes on week 5 of the schedule, which is the first week of 12/12. The plants are actually on week 3 of flower.

I've been watering just ph 6.5 water for the past 3 weeks, room is AC controlled to 77, canopy temps peak around 79F. humidity is 50-60% in the room.

I up-potted them in to fresh OF soil at the end of Flower Week 1, thats when I noticed the claws start to form. I did add a good amount of mykos to each pot during the transition, but that's never caused an issue before.

I water about every 3 days, picking up each pot in between to get an idea on how dry they are.

It seems that the Chemdog has the worst 'clawing' out of all. The cotton candy and goblin queen do look pretty good, they are just starting to yellow at the tops which is why I've started feeding them.

I will stop worrying so much, go light on the nutes, and just see what happens.

I really appreciate everyones input here, I think the next go-round I will cut the OF with happy frog and add perlite. Does anyone have suggestions on what % of ocean forest to mix with happy frog, perlite, etc?

I’m still confused, or missing something. If they’re in week three of flower and have been fed nothing but water for the past three weeks, then how did week five of the schedule (week one of flower) begin the nute feeding? There’s an overlap in time there. ;)

Have you taken a ph reading of your runoff?

I completely agree with amanda88. Added perlite helps considerably with drainage and aeration. You don’t need to feed much with FFOF. And three gallon containers would have been a better option.

25 - 30% added perlite is what you want to shoot for.

Go easy on them, like you plan, and I think you’ll be fine.

I’m still confused, or missing something. If they’re in week three of flower and have been fed nothing but water for the past three weeks, then how did week five of the schedule (week one of flower) begin the nute feeding? There’s an overlap in time there. ;)

Have you taken a ph reading of your runoff?

I completely agree with amanda88. Added perlite helps considerably with drainage and aeration. You don’t need to feed much with FFOF. And three gallon containers would have been a better option.

25 - 30% added perlite is what you want to shoot for.

Go easy on them, like you plan, and I think you’ll be fine.

Week 5- OR--day 1 of 12/12-- 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Open Sesame

^this is what i just started feeding in week 3 of flower. So i gave them nothing but water for the first 2 weeks of flower and started with the weaker nutes from the schedule.

Do you follow?

cyat

Veteran
Try 10 ml tiger, and 15 Mls big bloom
Use the powder at lowest dose on a different day

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world

^this is what i just started feeding in week 3 of flower. So i gave them nothing but water for the first 2 weeks of flower and started with the weaker nutes from the schedule.

Do you follow?

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn’t trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to get a better handle on the timeline. I spent some time in only FFOF & perlite, while adding Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Budswel and or Sweet. And with the exception of Big Bloom, the others were added sparingly.

FFOF doesn’t need much help. It’s easy to overfert. And as cyat pointed out, adding that much will put your babies over the edge.

Will give that a shot.

Do any of you guys have experience using Sledgehammer or Clearex?

I don’t think you need either of those. Less is more.

Everything is looking GREAT. The clawing has ceased, leaves are flat and reaching up. Will post some pics soon.

Currently Growing:

In Veg
Strain Veg_Started
COTTON CANDY 10/8/2016
COTTON CANDY 10/9/2016
COOKIES 9/10/2016

In Flower
Strain Veg_Started
CHEMDOG 8/29/2016
CHEMDOG 8/29/2016
CHEMDOG 8/29/2016
GOBLIN QUEEN F2 8/29/2016