What's new

Broad mites thread part 2

Bubbamaniac

I have been through the broad mite thread through and through! The reason is that I'm suffering from these little bastards and have been for 2 years now! I have recently killed all my genetics repainted my space, tore all the carpeting out, and I'm down to hard wood floors, and newly repainted walls and ceilings. I just started new seeds in that spot after waiting 4 months I cleaned the space and all the equipment, and now they are back and I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and stop growing which would pretty much break my heart.

I'm an experienced grower I've been doing this for almost 20 years, and I'm just stumped. At this point I'm not afraid to try anything, whether it's organic control, or chemical control. I've tried heat treatment, miticides, and oils all with no success.

The list of things in my arsenal
Avid
Pylon
Forbid
Bonide 10% sulphur with pyrethrins
Conserve Sc
Einstein oil brand neem oil
A Hudson atomizer sprayer
Home made garlic/habanero death juice
I know the idea of running an IPM schedule, in the past I tried rotating the three nukes at the top, and after about a month they were back after the last application.
My method was 2 avid applications 3 days apart, then 2 pylon applications 3 days apart, and 2 forbid applications 3 days apart I mixed all of them at 2 ml per gallon. None of those toxic plants were ever intended to go into flower just trying to rid myself of these bugs, and then the plan was to take cuts and create new pest free moms.

If anybody can give me some feed back I would be forever grateful, the impact this has had on me mentally is just breaking me to pieces, I have 32k of lighting at another location that is just collecting dust because I refuse to fill the space again with plants that are infected. I've been running plants there and averaging still 1.75 units per light. The quality was actually great but some plants would finish sub par to say the least. I need to get past this and regain control of my gardens and my life please help anybody who can give me some faith back because I really need it right now......:thank you:

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I have been through the broad mite thread through and through! The reason is that I'm suffering from these little bastards and have been for 2 years now! I have recently killed all my genetics repainted my space, tore all the carpeting out, and I'm down to hard wood floors, and newly repainted walls and ceilings. I just started new seeds in that spot after waiting 4 months I cleaned the space and all the equipment, and now they are back and I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and stop growing which would pretty much break my heart.

I'm an experienced grower I've been doing this for almost 20 years, and I'm just stumped. At this point I'm not afraid to try anything, whether it's organic control, or chemical control. I've tried heat treatment, miticides, and oils all with no success.

The list of things in my arsenal
Avid
Pylon
Forbid
Bonide 10% sulphur with pyrethrins
Conserve Sc
Einstein oil brand neem oil
A Hudson atomizer sprayer
Home made garlic/habanero death juice
I know the idea of running an IPM schedule, in the past I tried rotating the three nukes at the top, and after about a month they were back after the last application.
My method was 2 avid applications 3 days apart, then 2 pylon applications 3 days apart, and 2 forbid applications 3 days apart I mixed all of them at 2 ml per gallon. None of those toxic plants were ever intended to go into flower just trying to rid myself of these bugs, and then the plan was to take cuts and create new pest free moms.

If anybody can give me some feed back I would be forever grateful, the impact this has had on me mentally is just breaking me to pieces, I have 32k of lighting at another location that is just collecting dust because I refuse to fill the space again with plants that are infected. I've been running plants there and averaging still 1.75 units per light. The quality was actually great but some plants would finish sub par to say the least. I need to get past this and regain control of my gardens and my life please help anybody who can give me some faith back because I really need it right now......:thank you:

Jesus Christ, I hope I never get em....

Good luck in eradicating those bastards!

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Try some hot shot no pest strips. Looks like only thing you haven't tried!
Or some predator bugs.
And yes, good luck!

3 days apart isnt good enough.

Spray every single day. Heat treat every day or every other day for a week at least. 2 years battling them might as well go 2 weeks.

First sulfur, then buildasoils essential oil blend, then pfr97 at 80%RH for 8 hours, then essential oil and pfr 97 every day ad infinitum.

Then when you think theyre finally gone you release different types of predatory mites at staggered intervals.

You have to be persistent.

Good luck.

Different people will tell you different methods that worked for them but this is what worked for me.

Bubbamaniac

Jesus Christ, I hope I never get em....

Good luck in eradicating those bastards!

Thanks Krunchbubble! I hope you never get them either! I learned my lesson on trading cuts on the internet! I'll never trade a cut ever again, besides there is so much fire these days in seed form you don't really need too, you just need to be willing and have patience! I was always chasing the next best thing, and that's how the nightmare began. What I should have been doing is implementing a research and development program myself, why not every other gigantic successful corporation does it? By that I mean making my own crosses and backing up all my elites. Hind sight is always 20/20 though. I am really starting too feel cursed and just can't come up with anything else myself, when you google "broad mites" or any derivative (how to kill etc) the same 20 pages or so come up with no new research. Every single College that has information seem to pretty much be cut and pasted from old text, you won't find too much variation there. I have so many questions and just can't find any answers
Like what geographical region are broad mites indigenous too?
Do broad mites have a dormancy period?
How long can broad mites exist in an environment without a host?
Do broad mites over-winter?
What brings broad mites out of dormancy?
My grows are separate from where I live, what are the chances they are all over my house, even though we have no house plants?
Am I going to re-infect myself from traveling from my house back to my grow?
......."............".............. And the list goes on!

sc1

Mites

Mites

I grew out some plants outdoors last summer, like 15 large sativas. If I can remember correctly the mites came in late July or August. They destroyed half my plants before I could stop them. From what I learned the mites attack your plants at the onset of flowering, just when the plants begin to make the buds. Use your pocket microscope to check for mites at this time. You may also notice leaves cupping or curling under like ferts burn if there are mites. You must act extremely fast at this time for the mites will destroy a plant in a matter of days. My solution was to use horticultural oil. I sprayed every evening until they were gone, which took somewhere between 1 and 3 days. There numbers were greatly diminished after the first spray.

Bubbamaniac

Try some hot shot no pest strips. Looks like only thing you haven't tried!
Or some predator bugs.
And yes, good luck!
I have too wait on the predators, I just treated with a translaminear miticide, I'm down for trying no pest strips though for sure! Do you put them into clone domes, or hang in the rooms or both?
3 days apart isnt good enough.

Spray every single day. Heat treat every day or every other day for a week at least. 2 years battling them might as well go 2 weeks.

First sulfur, then buildasoils essential oil blend, then pfr97 at 80%RH for 8 hours, then essential oil and pfr 97 every day ad infinitum.

Then when you think theyre finally gone you release different types of predatory mites at staggered intervals.

You have to be persistent.

Good luck.

Different people will tell you different methods that worked for them but this is what worked for me.

Thank you Tessarecting, I just bought the sulphur it's Bonide 10% with pyrethrums. It says in the directions too use 5 tablespoons for mites, per gallon that seemed high too me? How far apart can you do spraying so with sulphur? I'm going too have to wait to use predators since using a miticide, I don't have the pfr yet but will order it asap.
I also heat treat every 3 days, I also wash the outside of the solid plastic pots with 200 degree water just a spritz I figure water that hot doesn't need to be on there very long. I also disassemble the veg room every time and wash the shelving in water that hot, with bleach, my tech lights with bleach and heat treat those and bleach the whole room, I'm not lazy by any means and I'm down for being über vigilant! Well time to go to bed I'll be back tomorrow thank you everybody for already asserting yourselves in helping me goodnight!

Bubbamaniac

This is the shit nightmares are made of.....
picture.php

Bubbamaniac

I grew out some plants outdoors last summer, like 15 large sativas. If I can remember correctly the mites came in late July or August. They destroyed half my plants before I could stop them. From what I learned the mites attack your plants at the onset of flowering, just when the plants begin to make the buds. Use your pocket microscope to check for mites at this time. You may also notice leaves cupping or curling under like ferts burn if there are mites. You must act extremely fast at this time for the mites will destroy a plant in a matter of days. My solution was to use horticultural oil. I sprayed every evening until they were gone, which took somewhere between 1 and 3 days. There numbers were greatly diminished after the first spray.

I've read good things about horticultural oil I also picked a quart of that up also I have not used it yet but you had great success with it? I just got done with the second spraying of avid, so it would be time to rotate in the next product, I really hate the idea of using Pylon or forbid, I was going to go with either horticultural oil or liquid sulphur.
@tessarecting I had a question about oils and sulphur. Is it only neem oil and sulphur that react poorly together or all oils, horticultural etc?

Bubbamaniac

No I did not, solely because I've just heard too many people talking bad about it. The active culture that kills broads in that I believe is bare with me Beauvaria Bassina or something like that (from memory) there are sources where you can just buy that culture and that seems too make more sense if I try to go that route. Not yet though have I heard anybody say they eradicated broad mites using caps foliar pack, no disrespect too anybody but this is war...
I really would love too know who is the entomologist on these boards, or who has access too some peeps at any university that are doing research on these critters..... I have lots of questions

bigblue72

I would try ogbiowar foliar every day sprays in 100 per cent humidity for the vegging plants make a dome out of 2 plastic boxes to keep the humidity high

Bubbamaniac

I would try ogbiowar foliar every day sprays in 100 per cent humidity for the vegging plants make a dome out of 2 plastic boxes to keep the humidity high

Like 2 Rubbermaid totes (clear) with the plants in 1 and turn the other over on top of it creating a giant humidity dome? That's one of the things that scared me away from of-biowar initially, was the high humidity needed to make it work, I never thought of building a micro environment! The plants could stay in those under the t-5's for sure thanks I'm more apt to try the go-biowarfare now what a great idea and I thank you! I will order some up and give it a try, I definitely don't have anything too lose at this point!

Bubbamaniac

That advice is actually from a guy who beats broads...

i never haved them..

Well I ordered the foliar and root packs today I'm going to give it a whirl, I ordered both, according to caps website brewing both together is said to give it higher numbers of organisms, which is what I need I'm coming out guns a blazin.....

RetroGrow

Veteran
The ONLY thing you need to kill broad mites indoor is heat. 120 Degrees F for an hour kills all mites and eggs in the room. Repeat in three days to get any stragglers/new entrants into the room from outside. Turn off AC and fans. Leave lights on. Add extra heat in the form of more lights or space heaters. Will not hurt plants. Will eliminate mites completely. They cannot survive those temps. Don't waste a penny on poison.

bigblue72

Like 2 Rubbermaid totes (clear) with the plants in 1 and turn the other over on top of it creating a giant humidity dome? That's one of the things that scared me away from of-biowar initially, was the high humidity needed to make it work, I never thought of building a micro environment! The plants could stay in those under the t-5's for sure thanks I'm more apt to try the go-biowarfare now what a great idea and I thank you! I will order some up and give it a try, I definitely don't have anything too lose at this point!
that's exactly it create a micro environment and spray every day should start to see new healthy growth then recut them and see how you go let me know how you get on

Bubbamaniac

The ONLY thing you need to kill broad mites indoor is heat. 120 Degrees F for an hour kills all mites and eggs in the room. Repeat in three days to get any stragglers/new entrants into the room from outside. Turn off AC and fans. Leave lights on. Add extra heat in the form of more lights or space heaters. Will not hurt plants. Will eliminate mites completely. They cannot survive those temps. Don't waste a penny on poison.

Why hello RetroGrow I was hoping you would pop in. I have a 4k room set up at this spot, I opened all the hoods and turned off the inline fans. The room is panda poly, I also added 3 electric space heaters. I put the plants on a sheet of 5/8 plywood on four 5 gallon buckets too get them off the ground. The thermometer that I am using is a cheapo sun leaves thermometer/ hygrometer combo. I asked the hydro store guy how reliable it was and he said the temp is within 1-2 degrees and the humidity is within 5% give or take. I heated the room up and put the wire probe into the middle of the canopy, the thermometer said it was 134*F in the room I kept the plants in there for about 2 hours. I literally took them to the brink where the leaves were pointed straight up and we're starting to close together in a last ditch effort of survival! I cooled them back down slowly and put them back, in there room which was heat treated also, and wiped down with 100% bleach. All the equipment everything these lil mofos are back????? So for me personally the heat treatment isn't working unless I'm missing something. Any more insight would be appreciated if I missed anything thanks a million....

Latest posts

Latest posts