What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Desert Grow - Heat Stress or Mites?

R

Robrites

Growing outdoor organic in Eastern Oregon. A third of my plants are showing this...some more than others. I have scoped these at 100x and see no bugs. Please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance.

picture.php

View image in gallery

FatherEarth

Veteran
what are the temperatures getting to?

Do you have an ergs meter?

Where are you located?

PM me if you want.

Could be russets, they are much harder to scope than broad mites. COuld also be salt build up from fertilizers in your soil. I need a lot more info to be able to diagnose your problem over the internet. ..

FE

milkyjoe

Veteran
Yea...that could be russets...but

What kinda soil, how often are you watering, it could also be high salt...ergs, or EC would go a long way to diagnosing the problem...or Logan Labs paste test and make sure to get a pH number.

R

Robrites

I started with Subcools dirt and added about 25% coco coir. I have been watering every 3 days - packing 5 gallon buckets - but have increased it to every other day. It has been very hot here..we had 2 weeks over 100 every day... the high was 113. it cooled into the high nineties and then 105 and 107...94 yesterday. I did recently add Dr. Earth Bloom Booster and before that hit the soil with kelp tea. No ergs meter, I can probably make a slurry and test the PH. Garden is in extreme northeast Oregon...think Hells Canyon. Thanks both of you for responding. Edit: I also have a TDS meter if that would be helpful.

Last edited:
R

Robrites

do you notice any of the same growth on neighboring plants?

how is the wind in this area?

Two others have this to a lesser degree - the rest appear fine. We get some significant winds here at times. Very dry air. Amazon has two ec/tds meters for near half price, under 40 bucks, both have decent reviews...should I get one?

R

Robrites

So in native soil? What color is it normally?

The holes are dug into native soil but I made subcool's super soil last winter. I started with black gold bagged dirt and added several organic amendments and let it cook down. The result was added to the holes in June.

The native soil (when dry) is very light brown and I'd say has very little organic matter present. it is probably 50% rocks from fist size to the occasional 30 to 40 pounder.

amanda88

Heat Stress is standard.. see if you can offer some shade thru the worst of it, 10-4pm, otherwise she falls dormant

R

Robrites

I hope it is heat stress...it would do the least damage and be the easiest to recover from. I have to go into the mountains today so will be back to attacking this problem tomorrow. Thanks you three for the ideas, questions and input.

I am kind of leaning towards mites at this point but need to give the plants another look.

Feel free to post more help and ideas.

waveguide

Veteran
wow from arizona.. does look like wind to my modest eye

ask madjag for tips with those temps!

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
High desert, central Oregon here ;) Kahneeta area. Similar probs too. No taco, but lite crowns.
I've never had a year like this, worst wind ever & the June heatwave before they were established.
I got my labs back this morning. I'll see how much of this, is just heat & wind?
You can probably glean a bit of info from it too ;)

R

Robrites

High desert, central Oregon here ;) Kahneeta area. Similar probs too. No taco, but lite crowns.
I've never had a year like this, worst wind ever & the June heatwave before they were established.
I got my labs back this morning. I'll see how much of this, is just heat & wind?
You can probably glean a bit of info from it too ;)

Ya June was August (and July was worse) as far as heat goes...Please do let me know what you learn from the lab.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
I hope it is heat stress...it would do the least damage and be the easiest to recover from. I have to go into the mountains today so will be back to attacking this problem tomorrow. Thanks you three for the ideas, questions and input.

I am kind of leaning towards mites at this point but need to give the plants another look.

Feel free to post more help and ideas.
I think you're right im growing in so cal mojave desert at elevation with wind 10 uv on a 10 scale some days it's 11 always upper 90s to 100+ None of my plants are doing that that taco leaf folding over is mites broads or russet I don't know but you can see the new growth being attacked if you zoom. Your place doesn't look to different from mine with the exception of lack of joshua trees. Just my 2 cents from photos I could be wrong

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
Yeah as a dude that's had broads before trust me that's mites you see how they attack your new growth all up and down your plant in that 2nd pic you've had them for a while.

Madjag

Veteran
You need to test the soil professionally.

The green looks good, but my first impression is a massive micronutrient deficiency.

Leaves curling in on themselves.....I had leaves twisting in spirals, very similar. I bought a micronutrient mix and sprayed it on all my plants. It only took 2 foliar treatments that way and the leaves un-curled. Heat stress is amplified if your soil is way off in pH......water uptake can be limited as well as nutrient lock-out initiated.

Without a test it's a crap shoot so get some micro mix and spray. One of the missing nutes will be perhaps be the silver bullet and make it right. If not, check for insect problems which are rare in high temps and dry climates. The only bugs we ever had in 5 outdoor GG years were grasshoppers.

I hate grasshoppers.

R

Robrites

Update

Update

I am definitely getting a soil test...Logan Labs here I come. Whether it is the problem or not, I will gain valuable knowledge that may help this year and next. Cheap for 25 bucks.

That being said, I am really leaning toward mites or another pathogen. This is why...After visiting my grow, I ran into a friend that wanted me to take some cuttings for him...I took 4 from his garden and brought them home. His plants (and the cuttings) showed zero signs of problems. Now, 7 days later this is what they look like.
The two common denominators are - I have touched them and they are growing in the same seedling mix I used to start my seeds.

The cuttings have been inside with temperatures between 65 and 85 degrees.

7 days seems awful fast for what ever this problem is to occur.

Madjag

Veteran
Definitely bugs if it transferred to your friend's plants so quickly.......unless your seedling mix is toxic, which it could be by accident.

Google: Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

I can't post the URL here or mods will delete. It's a great resource.

The top half concerns soils, nutes, and pH.
The bottom half of the pictorial concerns pests.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One would think bugs would be an easy confirm/reject with a 100x.

Latest posts

Latest posts