What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alphas Cannabinerd Adventureland

Instead of running a sterile res, I'm running beneficial res with hydroguard, pond zyme and tap water conditioner. It's my first time running a live res. I hope nothing goes wrong.

I've never even heard the terms sterile res or beneficial res. whats a sterile res, one with nothing in it or one with just H2O2? i read a few places silica is really beneficial to taking care of the roots and makes them less susceptible to pathogens and pests and it makes the plant over all stronger & it can actually improve plants yields, sounds too good to be true but I've also read it can be a toxic chemical to keep in the house aswell. I'm still trying to figure out if/what I'm going to add to my res that can be beneficial but i also want to keep it simple so really id rather not add anything but i also dont want to run the risk of loosing my plants over a stupid res issue

Alpha Phase

I've never even heard the terms sterile res or beneficial res. whats a sterile res, one with nothing in it or one with just H2O2? i read a few places silica is really beneficial to taking care of the roots and makes them less susceptible to pathogens and pests and it makes the plant over all stronger & it can actually improve plants yields, sounds too good to be true but I've also read it can be a toxic chemical to keep in the house aswell. I'm still trying to figure out if/what I'm going to add to my res that can be beneficial but i also want to keep it simple so really id rather not add anything but i also dont want to run the risk of loosing my plants over a stupid res issue

You got it. A sterile res is one that utilizes something like h2o2, bleach or Dutch master zone type products to kill everything good and bad, thus making it a sterile reservoir. No good bacteria and no bad bacteria.

A live res or beneficial reservoir uses good bacteria to kill the bad bacteria. It uses enzymes and good bacteria in products like sensizym and hydroguard or great white.

Silica is a good product in veg, I feel in flower there isn't any more benefits. Some say it can affect the taste of the buds in a negative way when using it in flower past week 3 or 4.

You'll need to use sterile or beneficial practice for your grow or you will run into issues. It might not be right away, but you will. There is bacteria literally everywhere and all it takes is for a susceptible plant to get infected and then pass it on to all other plants in that reservoir.

I'd suggest sterile for your first go at it.

You got it. A sterile res is one that utilizes something like h2o2, bleach or Dutch master zone type products to kill everything good and bad, thus making it a sterile reservoir. No good bacteria and no bad bacteria.

A live res or beneficial reservoir uses good bacteria to kill the bad bacteria. It uses enzymes and good bacteria in products like sensizym and hydroguard or great white.

Silica is a good product in veg, I feel in flower there isn't any more benefits. Some say it can affect the taste of the buds in a negative way when using it in flower past week 3 or 4.

You'll need to use sterile or beneficial practice for your grow or you will run into issues. It might not be right away, but you will. There is bacteria literally everywhere and all it takes is for a susceptible plant to get infected and then pass it on to all other plants in that reservoir.

I'd suggest sterile for your first go at it.
ahh thanks for the info but yeah then screw silica I'm not vegging for shit anyway. 2 weeks in cloner then flower but yes I'm definitely going to run a sterile res. Im up to page 62 on Al B. Fuct's 2 week harvest thread and he says to use 50% h2o2 1ml/L with everything. i wonder if you would agree with that. right now I'm most concerned with transplant shock of plants going from a riot rooter plug in a clone box one day, to f&d table in a netcup with hydroton on 12/12 the next. from what I've read, aslong i use something like the h2o2 and keep the roots as healthy and sterile as possible they should be okay with the transplant/lightswitch. do you think i have anything to worry about with the stress/shock?

Alpha Phase

I'm about to throw these glue into flower. The new nutrient regime is working great. 4 weeks veg, not too shabby!

[/ATTACH]

The glue sog is doing better than I thought considering the issues. Not looking too bad
20151119_163844.jpg

Attachments

• 20151120_175615.jpg
    20151120_175615.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Latest posts