What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ive already spent over 1200 dollars on my first grow room. PLEASE HELP!!!

noobs1988

Hey guys, whats going on.

Im here from the growery.com and i must say im really like ICMAG better. well, a lot better. :tiphat:

Welp like the title says, ive spent a lot of money already and im just about ready to put everything together. Let me tell you a little about what ive bought and what i want to do.

Equipment list.

400w/250w switchable ballast with 400w MH bulb and air cooled hood
1000w HPS ballast with 1000w HPS bulb with air cooled hood
4in 171CFM inline fan
8in 771CFM inline fan
several wall mountable cage fans for air circulation
4in x 2ft long carbon filter
250 GPH water pump
400 GPH water pump
air pumps, air stones, ect.
I have a huge bag of hydroton rocks and various sizes of rockwool cubes. 1in and 6in cubes
I also have other different type of media

I also have a bunch of other little things like reducers and ebb and flow stuff.

For my nutes im using general hydroponics flora nova series. With calmag, super thrive, root inhancer.

Of course i have a digital PH meter and a Blue Lab EC Meter.

Seeds. I have 5 BIg BUddha Blue Cheese, 4 Pure AK, and 1 white widow (freebe). All feminized.

ok, now for the room im going to be putting my setup in is where i need yall to give me advice on the best way to set up what i want to be a recirculating room. so i will have a mother room, clone room, veg room, flower room. i was thining maybe my mother and clones could be one room and have a veg and flower room. IDK.

The diminutions for my room is 10½ft by 9½ft and 9ft tall. there are 2 windows three doors.

I want to put the ac in the orange window and and blue square is a closet that is 2ft 4in by 2ft 4in and 9ft tall. My AC usint is 5,500BTU.

Ok concerns:

1. I need to divide my room in a way that i can use the one a/c to cool all the grow spaces i need to have.

2. Fresh air supply. I dont not have any ideas on how to get fresh air, I could get it from outside but its gets real out here (upper 90's) and with a small a/c that might be a problem. And i can not risk having the smell get out of the room through a fresh air supply hole.

I was thinking I could get fresh air in the surrounding rooms around my grow room from outside. Then open up my grow room door to get fresh air that way. ? If thats make sense. I live by myself so that wouldnt be a problem. I just dont want neighbors smelling my shit.

I think those are my main concerns. If yall need to see pictures of anything I mentioned just let me know and ill get them on here asap!

any help would great. Thanks ICMAG!

Crap, i dont think i can upload any photos right now. Ill try to add that photo in this post after im able to upload photos. Ill just use this post as a hellp and start of my grow room deisgn.

B

BasementGrower

lol. 1200 bucks is nothing bro.. the 1 thing I will say...... is don't slack on ventilation . ull regret it .. I promise u that.. if u think ur good. id get anther inline.. or a bigger size.. say u think 6 inch will be good.. grab an 8.. ull be happy..

mwz

Veteran
I may be wrong, and am welcomed to being corrected, but I would have thought that you wouldn't be able to smell the weed from the inlet hole. Because fresh air is being sucked in. You've got a carbon filter, so you're outlet should be smell less.

What if you build a box around the inside of the window. Place blinds or curtains in it. Paint the inside of the box black. Lock/jam the window slightly ad jar. Cut an inlet hole into the rear of the box, hidden by curtains.

Proper ventilation is a must. If not, grow in the cooler months

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
1) Sounds like you have a general idea for your window box. just FYI, there's at least one walk-through guide describing how to build one on here somewhere. search bar.
2) Maybe I skimmed over it........but what kind of carbon filter do you have to match up to your 8 inch fan? Don't try to tell me a 4"x24" scrubber is gonna handle 1000w of flowering and 400w of veg. IMHO, the 4" scrubber might be barely big enough for your veg, but you'll probably be running a lot of air through. 171cfm is probably going to drop to 130-150 cfm through the scrubber, which will be just enough to cool a 250w, maybe more if you're in a cool climate.
3) Any reason you got 6" hugo blocks? I can see the 1" blocks for starting seeds and cuts, even 3" or 4" blocks after that for early veg, but curious about the 6" blocks.
4) If you're near people, you might want to invest in a t least a speed controller for your big fan. They're not especially quiet.
5)while everyone's different, I like to pull inlet air from a cool source and pump to a warm source. exhausting into the attic would work depending on your layout, but never would pull intake from it. If you're in a house, the crawlpace area usually has cool air and is a nice natural heat sink. You can also pull from an A/C cooled room then pump out.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Odor has a way of getting where you don't want it regardless. It's like that shit travels against the air flow at times. Get the biggest carbon filter you think you need, then super size it!!! That tiny filer won't last and won't cover your smell issues to come. more people get busted or ripped because of the odor.

"For my nutes im using general hydroponics flora nova series. With calmag, super thrive, root inhancer."

Experience speaking here-Use Flora Nova series, Floralicious Plus(1ml/gallon), and CalMag if needed. That's all you need ok. No need for Super thrive or root enhancers.

Run a sealed room. You won't need a fresh air intake.

For the cooling air to the lights. do this-
Filter outside the room, duct work through the wall to lights, then out the room from the lights. Hoods, no matter how "sealed they claim to be, have a way of pulling the smell up through them eventually. Just the way it is.
Run a carbon filter in the room for odor control on a fan speed controller.
Get the fan speed controllers for the exhaust fan and the fan on the carbon filter in the room. Having the intake and exhaust for the lights flowing outside the room allow for more efficient cooling of the room itself.
Slowing the air flow down through the filters gives the odor molecules time to react with the carbon to reduce the odor.

noobs1988

Man guys, yall are all very helpful. I wish I could post pictures to show you what im working with but I don't think I can till I make 25 post. whomp whomp whommmppppp

Basement grower, I read one of your grows last nights. Sweeett. thanks for dropping by man. I didn't careful math a planning when buyings these fans. I think I have enough fans for the space. Im definitely going to build some kinda some kind of box. Idk if its going to be for my veg or flower.
I agree 1,200 isn't much but honestly its more closer to 1,500 and I still need qbout 150 dollars worth of shit from my local hardware store. The only thing I really skimped on was my CO2 bc of lack of money. but 1,500 dollars is a hell of a junk of change. I think I want to harvest a first batch before getting anymore equipment.

mwz, I believe that would be true but if I ever wanted to turn that fan off or set it up to a controller that would automatically turn it off, id have smell. Of course I though about using those ducts flaps but idk.

Lee Van Keif, If your thinking what im thinking, I thinking were both thinking the same thing. Ill post pictures to confirm.

First tracks, thanks for all the information
1. no I am not building a a/c box, although I have seem many many tutorials on how to which is pretty cool. my a/c will just go into the window. And I know the drip smell or whatever but I don't think I will be to bad.
2.ihaveacarbon scrubber I was going to hook up with my 4in inline fan. I was thinking the best method to scrub the air would be just recirculating my air instead of getting rid of it. But like I said I can always open my grow room up to other rooms. My grow has 2 doors which leads to 2 different rooms.
3. I bought 1 rockwool cubes to start my seedlings and I was thinking I couldn't root my mothers in the 6 in rockwool cubes.
4. I wouldn't mind investing into a fan speed controller however, I don't know if itll be that nessary considering Im not worried about noise. Ill just have to watch my temps. and if I need a speed controller for that, ill get one.
5. I want 2vent out the hot air for my 2 lights out the attic.
I have no acces to a cool crawl space considering my foundation is concert and im growing up stairs. The attic Is about 125 degrees. lol

Well im really glad yall are helping me out. I will definitely be updating this with a bunch of pictures as soon as I reach post number 25!

I will begin construction next week so keep a lookout in the grow room design if anyone is interested.

Again guys. THANKS for the feedback. Ive having headaches thinking about this grow setup and knowing yall are here to help is helping me out a bunch.

mwz

Veteran
Perhaps post some funny photos or jokes in the social type forums to hit 25 ;) That's a good point regarding when the fan is turned off. It gets pretty hot where I am located, so my fan is usually running 24-7. All the best with your grow man! :D

noobs1988

lol. Thanks for helping out and stopping by my thread facedark. Hopefully youll stick around to see this little project actually be complete.

noobs1988

and if i may add. I can see your new here too. welcome. well im going to go make a few more comments. check back for pictures

noobs1988

Heres a better description of the room size. I want to put the a/c in the window that in 2ft 10in big.

I also want to build a flower box with the a/c inclosed. The have the veg box sucking cool air from the flower box. im going to draw up some designs i can put up here to give yall a better idea of what im talking about.

noobs1988

Alright guys, I think ive finally came up with a game plan but let me run it threw yall before I start my build.

First off. The AC, which I installed today making sure it was clean and as air tight as it could possibly be, is 5,500 BTUs. It will be inclosed in my flowering box. Im going to build a wall from the left side of my room to the ride side. It will be 4ft from the a/c which will mean the wall will be 10in away from the door on the right. Then I will divide the veg and flower room leaving my flower room 3ft by 4 feet. Which might house some mother plants too, idk. Might just build a fluorescent box for them.

I will use my 4in inline fan to cool both of my lights, which ill have to make sure my MH light don't shine into my flowering room throw the vents. This is where I need help.

I read that if your going to use one fan to cool both lights it should go inbetween them as so.

Cool air > 400wMH > 4in inline fan > 1000W HPS > attic

The drawing shows the fan right before the attic. Or should the fan go infront of the MH light? IDK.

Then I will use my 8in inline fan to scrub the air as well as circulate cold air from my flowering box to my veg box as so.

Carbon scrubber > 8in fan > to my veg room towards the bottom of plants

Then I want to use and 3rd fan which probably is about 300CFM or so, not sure in storage, to push air from my veg to flower to complete the air circulation.

It will be an inclosed air tight box and I will use CO2.

What do yall think? thanks guys for taking the time. Im super excited to get this thing started already