What's new

Round 1 in Vertville!! 2x600W Flipflop V-SCRoG

Femora

Hello there!
First off; I hope this show will entertain you, and its my wish that you speak up and state... whatever you wanna state! Dosen't matter if it's to ask me something, praise me, call me an idiot (you better have a reason for that, aye!) or maybe give me a piece of advice in any matter, or whatever your statement may be...

Here is a little background story on whats up;

This is my forth grow, and I found the descision to go vertical quite easy after looking at this forums for 2 minutes... HOW to go vert was harder to decide..
The amount of gurus at ICMAG is just amazing, there are ALOT of good ideas going around and VERT seems the best way for me to hit the 1gpw or better with my shitty conditions. More about those conditions later...

It all started when I figured that I need some heat in there to keep the nighttemps up.. about 500W was suitable, so I thought.. WTF, lets do this! Said n' done! I ordered another 600W HPS-setup and alot of stuffs to change my gameplan to 8-10 liter coco/perlite, 2 flip-flop-rooms and blowing air inbetween the rooms to keep the "nighttemp" up in the dark room.
I havent the room fully setup yet.. I miss the autowatering, but the rest is a GO and is atm beeing handwatered. The rooms was flipped to 12/12 on 26 March -13 using "monstercropped" (revegged clones) from 2 strains; Euforia and WWxTU.
There is 5 plants in one of the room, and 6 in the other.

The gameplan is to strainhunt some before I go monocropping.

The strains I'm about to try out is; (beside Euforia and WWxTU)
Outlaw
Brainstorm

California Hash Plant (?)
Moby Dick
Power Kush

and some freebies from a canadian company dealing with outdoorstrains mainly.. I guess I cant namedrop them but among the freebies I got when ordering AF-beans for the outdoor-session there is some strains that could be REALLY interesting for vert-scrogging!
How sounds Cinderella 99 X Herijuanna for example... I just hope I find something in there that I like..

I feel like this will be more then enough to keep me busy for quite some time.

About the room;
I found alot of inspiration on forum around the WWW.
A special thanks for Marlo for his W.O.W-thread that kind of blew my mind and that was probably the thread I had in the back of my head then taking the descision to go vert!

This is the room I have to work with. The height is about 175cm, so its not that much to go with upward.
The veg-box is 120x120cm (4'x4'), thats about thesame measures on each flowerroom. Give or take 10-15 cm~.
picture.php

Its sorted so the plants will be on 2 tables in each room. 1 of the tables will have wheels, so I can move it back and forth to allow me to go in there and work with the plants.
I can already now tell you all that I will change the setup to single scrogs for each bucket, and keep 1 table in there, leaning into the middle and keep the water-res under there so the rinoff will pour right back into the container. But thats work for the next round! right now I have to go with this.

picture.php

There is nothing in this room that will be fancy, stylish or setup to please the eye. Its a pure functional room, and like I said; my conditions are really shitty.
The walls are made of big stonebricks, concrete inbetween that I have to hit with the drill to make the fondation to the walls.
The floor is concrete, there is no waste, no water in there... I have to go a few 100meters with 25liter plastic cans to get the water to the ladies.
The powerline is 150m~ with 3x1,5mm, 20A fuse@230V.. But the powerdrop in the 1,5mm at this range makes is impossible to use all the theoretical power. Ive sat 1000w continuous as my upper limit within acceptable voltage-drop.

This is "flow2" under construction.
The long wood is the extended legs, keeping the net in place, and the plasticbags/paperbox is standing on the table, elevated about 45 cm over the concretefloor.
picture.php

The lights are controlled by a relay that goes on a timer by 12/12.
The waterpump will eventually be set to feed one of the relay sockets to feed the different pump depending on which room is on, about 3-5 times a day.
This means the timer will always feed the room that is "on".

I will update with pics in a couple of days.. All from rebuilding the room, taking the cuts... the crazy progress of the revegging clones, all until we hit "today" and from there keep it updated all until the frosty cured buds are shown to the world via ICMAG.

But first; A nights sleep and some long hours at the work!

Stay safe!
Fem~

Last edited:

Femora

Whats been...

Whats been...

Okay.. lets go!
This is whats been going on..

I took some cuts in early Januari and put them into perlite. They never seemed to wanna root, so I moved them after a week to a soilmix. I read somewhere that DHF once said something similar to this; "Any cut will root if you keep temps at 78F~ and RH >80%."
So I followed his advice and voila! It worked!

They were under a 6000k 250w CFL.

Cuts at 11 Jan. This will also be Day 0.
picture.php

Day 17
picture.php

Roots starting to show in the cups.

picture.php

I guess he was just about right.. hehe...

Day 32

picture.php

Transplant-time!
I had now decided to go vertical and I felt that I wanted some auto-watering in there. A suitable media would be Coco-perlite, but the cuts were in soil, so I put them in a bucket of water and tried to carefullt remove as much soil as possible to then transplant them and spread out the roots some.

picture.php

continue in next post...

Femora

Day 44 ->

Day 44 ->

Somewhere around here I notice that the reveg takes WAY longer then I expected. So I will have a gap between the harvest to come, and the new start.
Well, nothing to do about it. We live and we dial eh? hehe..

Day 44
picture.php

picture.php

Day 51
They are now under a 600W HPS to speed up the growth.
I feel soo behind schedual..
picture.php

I did cut off the mainstem on 2 of the revegging clones to see how the remaining branches will do.

picture.php

They look quite funky..

You might notice some candels burning.. Thats my CO2-generator. LOL!
I've done some thinking about the CO2-levels... Ill share it with you later on if anyone is interested. (I have the paper I wrote it all down on somewhere else..)

Femora

Whats a bit strange is that the water seems to be just fine in the coco...

I use a regular green plant-nutrition from a lokal veg-store.
Nothing special about it... and I dont have to adjust the pH it seems either. I tried the water and its a bit high at 6.5, but... "Dont fix it if it aint broken" (?)

130310.. Its almost 2 months since I moved the cuts to the soil!
This should be DAY 59.
The plants are between 9-16 inches. Cant remember if it was strain-dependent, but I dont think so.. It seemed to be more depending on how the cut looked when transplanted. (topcut or something in the middle...)
picture.php

picture.php

This is 11 days later. Day 70
There is some serious explosion going on in there at this point.
The lower plants has now caught up with the tallest ones.

picture.php

This is my latest pic.
We are on Day 81. Acctually its Day 74 + Day 7 in 12/12

I ran out of chicken net and Im about to sort that out on the morrow. So right now I have 1 vertscrog, and 1 donut.

picture.php

They have been pruned about a week-10 days before flower, removing suckers... And they got some more low suckers removed when I took that photo.
I dunno... Is it really retarded to mess with the plant that early into flower?
I was thinking that the plant should rather divert energy to the remaing plant, rather then to something Ill remove anyway.

Femora

what's up with the tea-lite candles?

lol Poor mans Co2 burner im guessing :p

Indeed. A poor getto-growers CO2-device.

or, acctually... Im not poor, but my current conditions... It just wont allow me to get a serious CO2-device.
The room is not sealed, and cannot be sealed... nor can I get another place to grow at this moment.

Im doing the best of the situation, eh :)

The calculation on the candles should give me 1000 ppm over 5 hours to be reduced by the plants over the next day or so.

Nice to see some people around! :biggrin:

sgapetti

Veteran
Wsup Sweden ! Looking good Femora! ( Ser bra ut ;) ) Subbed for the show, keep us updated

Peace S

D

DHF

Looks like after a rocky start , things are developing nicely girlfriend......and yeah....Yas can practically root a rock at 80 degrees F and 80% RH......Sorry yas had so much trouble with the perlite , but it needs constant moisture/drying out sequences with elevated temps and RH as well....but....

Glad things worked out......now....It took so long cuz soil mixes don`t allow as much oxygen to the roots as readily as with coco , and it stays wetter as well so root development slows....anyways....

They grew out of it so to speak huh ?......LOL.......Now that they`re in coco , make sure to keep the medium "moist" at all times for the most vigorous growth.....

I see automated feed in your future Fem....Simple pump/timer setup with 1/4" open end driptubing hooked to basket stakes fed several times a day/lights on at short intervals to insure that "moistness".....or.....

Those pesky blumats I hear so many folks bitchin about .....pick your poison.....LOL...but......

I guess if yas live with yer girls yas can handwater if you like , it`s just that automated feed keeps em at optimum moisture levels for optimal growth.....and oh.......takin out sucker branches is advised before budset so yas done good ....keep up the good work....just don`t go strippin leaves or the plants will stunt ....wait till full swellage before getting rid of fans with stems.....so.....

Thanks for the thread and welcome to Vert-ville.......I`ll be over here on my bucket watchin and waitin for good things.....

Respect....DHF.....:ying:....

Last edited:
Subbed and just read through your first grow, very interesting grow to follow with lots of pictures and explanations which is awesome, happy growing :)

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Nice ambition. Welcome to the vertville. I just finished my first vert grow. Waiting for it to dry for numbers now.

Femora

Wsup Sweden ! Looking good Femora! ( Ser bra ut ) Subbed for the show, keep us updated

Peace S

Hej! :>
Thanks!!

Looks like after a rocky start , things are developing nicely girlfriend......and yeah....Yas can practically root a rock at 80 degrees F and 80% RH......Sorry yas had so much trouble with the perlite , but it needs constant moisture/drying out sequences with elevated temps and RH as well....but....

Aye, I guess I lacked some knowledge about how to get the perlite to work out as good as others pulled it off.

Glad things worked out......now....It took so long cuz soil mixes don`t allow as much oxygen to the roots as readily as with coco , and it stays wetter as well so root development slows....anyways....

They grew out of it so to speak huh ?......LOL.......Now that they`re in coco , make sure to keep the medium "moist" at all times for the most vigorous growth.....

I see automated feed in your future Fem....Simple pump/timer setup with 1/4" open end driptubing hooked to basket stakes fed several times a day/lights on at short intervals to insure that "moistness".....or.....

I have thesame vision in my crystal-ball! hehehe!

Those pesky blumats I hear so many folks bitchin about .....pick your poison.....LOL...but......

haha, those Blumats.. Ill leave them to others to work with. ill go for some drip-device on intervalls. :>

I guess if yas live with yer girls yas can handwater if you like , it`s just that automated feed keeps em at optimum moisture levels for optimal growth.....and oh.......takin out sucker branches is advised before budset so yas done good ....keep up the good work....just don`t go strippin leaves or the plants will stunt ....wait till full swellage before getting rid of fans with stems.....so.....

Thanks for that info!!

Thanks for the thread and welcome to Vert-ville.......I`ll be over here on my bucket watchin and waitin for good things.....

Respect....DHF.....~ ....

I'm glad to have you around! Hope you aint leaving that bucket too long anytime soon..! (;

This is going to be a good show...

I hope so! Welcome and Ill hope youll enjoy it!

Subbed and just read through your first grow, very interesting grow to follow with lots of pictures and explanations which is awesome, happy growing :)

Im glad to hear that someone pays attention to my old grow. Its always nice with feedback! Thanks!
My intention is not to make show-off threads, but rather do the best of my situation and hopefully be able to help someone that one day stand in my situation and need some advice.

Nice ambition. Welcome to the vertville. I just finished my first vert grow. Waiting for it to dry for numbers now.

Thanks!
Ive been lurkin' in your thread more then you might think.. hihi!
Keep us updated with dry #, will ya?

I like that so many already gave my thread some attention and filled in with greetings and kind words!
Keep it up! It makes me all warm inside..!

Sooo... Let's see what I have to offer today...
Its day 14 @ 12/12!

First out is the arrangement of 3 ladies tied up to the wall of chicken-fence. Its really simple by making a "S"-shape of a green thin gardenwire in a Marlo-W.O.W-style, connecting the chickenfence to the plant and forcing the plant back to make a even canopy...

Ive been removing suckers quite hard since this monstercropping is almost a pain to train to the fence as it is..

picture.php

Next up is the arrangement of the 2 walls on the tables.. Note the wheel I've marked in a red ring.
Here is the ring open, allowing me to get in there and work... Well... Errr.... Its quite tight, even for me... But I dont mind the small space, but, I will for sure make it possible to work with the ladies one by one next time I set up a grow...

picture.php

And here is the ring closed, allowing a nice 13"-16" spacing from the bulb to the canopy!

picture.php

And last pic of the day is from the other chamber. A leaf of humongous, gigantic, proportions!

Its taken while working in the dark with a green-led, that why the lightning is a bit strange..

picture.php

Ive also found the plant I'll keep a cut from the Euforia-genes. Its a really vigorious plant that seems to do really really great for vert-setup.
I messed up the samples from the start, so I dunno which plant is which... but... Dont really care about it.. Ill just make sure I have a lady saved as a sample! :)

and.. Ive tossed some seeds into a glass of water. Or acctually, into 3 glasses of water!
Its 2 Brainstorm (90/10 ind/sat), 2 Jorge's Diamonds (80/20 ind/sat) and 5 Outlaw (20/80 ind/sat).
One of the Outlaw-seeds sank... but a hour later were all seeds at the surface.. It will be interesting to see if they all develop.
... on the other hand had one of the Jorges sank when looking at em later on.

I foresee that the Outlaw will need another 14-20 days to finish, and it will probably outgrow my space compared to the ind-dominant brainstorm and Jorges~.
I have high hopes for the buss Jorges~ will deliver. When reading about it I figure it might be just the strain Ive been chasing for personal use...
Well, Strainhunting is strainhunting.. I promised myself that I'd try it out before starting monocropping!

Enough ranting! Im off to bed!

Take care n' stay safe!

Femora

So, Im back again... Day 19! 12/12

First of; the interesting stuff!

The ladies are filling up quite good.. But they aint stretching as much as I suspected. (Comparing pics from the Scrog-grow..)
Anyway, I belive it will be just fine! the canopy is a good 50cm atm. (errr.. 20") Another 20 cm wouldn't hurt before the stretch is done, but I guess we'll see about that.

Here is "room 2"

picture.php

And I just cant wait until the stretch is over, so I can get in there and start strippin' leafs! :D
What do you think about the pruning suckers on this lady? Think im about right on?
Yeah, its a bit hard to see.. I guess I have to spend more time on the photos next time I visit..

picture.php

To this weeks thinking...

Part 1: Ive found out how I will make the scrogs until next round.
It will be from 16mm pvc-pipes used for cable-wires, and make them a little v-shaped. Inbetween Ill put chickenfence and wire/glue it in place. (look at Marlos W.O.W-thread if you dont get what i mean.. thx man btw! )

The plants will stand on a elevated bench, allowing space for the water-res underneath, so any excessive water will run straight back... and the "floor" will lean a little inward. Somthing like a V-shape.
I still have to keep them ladies vegging under a horizonal bulb.. I just lack space to do it any other way atm. But as soon as Ill get them in that final pot ill add the fencing-device and start training.

Part 2: Ive been googling a bit about CO2-generators, and how to control them. There seem to be more ways to do this, then I have fingers n' toes..

I was planning on buying one of those "Camping water heaters" that runs on propane and control if with some sort of CO2-controller...
I dunno how much this would heat the water, but worst case scenario; Ill add a water-res just as a cooling-device in the cool frontroom if the nute-tank cant handle the heat..
But I have NO idea what to use here to regulate the co2... The dialage from "low co2" until its desirable ppm shouldn't be any problems, when I find the right equipment to use.
Ideas on suitable equipment that work out well with each other would be greatly appreatiated!
Im not on a shoestring, but I wont spend a fortune on some crap.. Trying to not make it harder then it has to be... while working on Blackman's law!

I was planning on running propane cus its alot easier to get and since I cant fully seal the room I was thinking that it should be cheeper to burn propane vs those co2-tanks. (and Ive been reading that those CO2-solenoid-valve-setups fail rather sooner then later..)

With <3
Fem~

stupidlegs13

So, Im back again... Day 19! 12/12

First of; the interesting stuff!

The ladies are filling up quite good.. But they aint stretching as much as I suspected. (Comparing pics from the Scrog-grow..)
Anyway, I belive it will be just fine! the canopy is a good 50cm atm. (errr.. 20") Another 20 cm wouldn't hurt before the stretch is done, but I guess we'll see about that.

Here is "room 2"

View Image

And I just cant wait until the stretch is over, so I can get in there and start strippin' leafs! :D
What do you think about the pruning suckers on this lady? Think im about right on?
Yeah, its a bit hard to see.. I guess I have to spend more time on the photos next time I visit..

View Image

To this weeks thinking...

Part 1: Ive found out how I will make the scrogs until next round.
It will be from 16mm pvc-pipes used for cable-wires, and make them a little v-shaped. Inbetween Ill put chickenfence and wire/glue it in place. (look at Marlos W.O.W-thread if you dont get what i mean.. thx man btw! )

The plants will stand on a elevated bench, allowing space for the water-res underneath, so any excessive water will run straight back... and the "floor" will lean a little inward. Somthing like a V-shape.
I still have to keep them ladies vegging under a horizonal bulb.. I just lack space to do it any other way atm. But as soon as Ill get them in that final pot ill add the fencing-device and start training.

Part 2: Ive been googling a bit about CO2-generators, and how to control them. There seem to be more ways to do this, then I have fingers n' toes..

I was planning on buying one of those "Camping water heaters" that runs on propane and control if with some sort of CO2-controller...
I dunno how much this would heat the water, but worst case scenario; Ill add a water-res just as a cooling-device in the cool frontroom if the nute-tank cant handle the heat..
But I have NO idea what to use here to regulate the co2... The dialage from "low co2" until its desirable ppm shouldn't be any problems, when I find the right equipment to use.
Ideas on suitable equipment that work out well with each other would be greatly appreatiated!
Im not on a shoestring, but I wont spend a fortune on some crap.. Trying to not make it harder then it has to be... while working on Blackman's law!

I was planning on running propane cus its alot easier to get and since I cant fully seal the room I was thinking that it should be cheeper to burn propane vs those co2-tanks. (and Ive been reading that those CO2-solenoid-valve-setups fail rather sooner then later..)

With <3
Fem~

excellent thread so far man. about the co2 though. I have never bothered with adding any co2 to a room. when ever I look into it I decide not to waste the duckets because my rooms have never been too tightly sealed. At the same time i want to see the rusults of someone adding co2 to an un sealed room :biggrin: You have heard that a small burner is more cost efficient than a tank with regulator and hose?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
glad i saw this femora, looking nice....
wondering when you will drop the bulbs down into the canopy?
plant stretch is a lil different in veg, im learning. so im not totally surprised that you are not seeing as much stretch out of this round as previous ones.
once again fem, looking good, ill stay tuned for when things get.... delicious in there.
:tiphat:

Femora

Stupidlegs; First off; Thanks! :)
Secondly; I belive that my CO2 PPM is going ridiculous low in there... That space is so small, and there is no extractionfans pulling the air out = semi-sealed. The door is not airtight, and there is 12 plants in there.
Ive been looking at propane-burning-devices today, but I cant figure out what to use to control it @ about 1000 PPM...

I guess I could relay-setup the burner on/off, if I have a controller that gives a 230V output, or a switch-function on the controllerdevice that is adjustable depending on PPM-levels in the room. Sigh... This is so much braingame and its a MESS when I dont know shit about the different controllers or the burning-devices. :noway:

Avi, Nice to see you here!
Im still learning so much that I haven't noticed that just yet. ;p
Thanks for the input, its really good to get some background on what the heck is going on, and more important; WHY its going on.

I will visit the ladies tonight, and I think I will lower the lights then.
Im hoping to get a little taller canopy, but that might not be possible.. Well; We will see! :)

So long, Stay safe!

D

DHF

Hey Fem......Plants don`t grow the same vegged with bare bulbs due to the response to stimuli thingy , as in they grow more sideways than up with indica dominant varieties compared to the perfect 50/50 Sat/Ind dom plants that grow up as well as out for that perfect sideways canopy with adequate watts per sq ft during swellage.....IOW....

Preferable vert strains are found as you`re doing with all the polyhybrids these days , so keep up the good work till yas can monocrop with said strain.....anyways......

Runs under yer belt......all things in time Fem.....Youre getting there....Keep dialin.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Last edited:

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Things look nice man, really nice. I never defoiliate until at least day 25, depends on the strain. The co2 burners your looking at have ppm controlers that you have to buy seperate. The brand is cap. They are like $275 , plus your burner cost. But trust me when i say it's worth it. It will pay for itself, and prolly the first run with it. Plus by having co2, the room can be in the mid-high 80's and the plants will love it. Once i started using co2 at my old spot i saw a significant increase in yield, as well as bud density.If i had the money right now I would buy a whole co2 set-up w/controller. Then seal up my room and watch them go!!!!!

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Almost forgot, my first vert yield so far is 174 grams. I have five plants still drying, and only need 50 grams to meet my goal(1/2 a lb.) for half of my room since im perpetual. Not too bad for a first run while i'm dialing it in.

Latest posts

Latest posts