What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spikes and Layers?

Before I found the organic soil forum here at ICMAG, I was reading info regarding organic growing from another source. I started questioning the validity of the info when he would contradict himself in later articles. Which set me back quite a bit. i was only getting so so results with the methods learned.

One of the things touted was spikes and layers. basically adding layers of bone meal, bat guano, greensand, etc through out a container. The spikes would be mixtures of organic amendments funneled into holes in the soil then covered with soil. I have looked and found no info anywhere else on spikes. Even though I was told it is common practice among organic gardeners.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this when building a container? and if it is even necessary?

I am doing a run now without the spikes and layers to see if i see any difference.

Scrappy4

Veteran
If there are any organic tenets, one would be to have organic soil builders in horticultural settings let nutrient cycling to take place, or IOW, Just let it sit for a month keeping it damp and turn it from time to time letting the microbes get oxygen.

How anyone could think they can do this fairly easy to grasp concept better than how nature does it is beyond me. Perhaps one could ask these organic gurus how globs of meals, guano add value to this process, because I sure don't know.......scrappy

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
I use spikes, layers and container floor additions religiously!
My plants like a more mello global mix, the spikes and whatnot let me stash like 10 tbs of extra amendments per container!
If I did not use spikes and layers, I would have to feed more elsewhere, I'm sure.

J

jerry111165

Why wouldn't you want an even mix?

Plants and soil microbes give the plant what it asks for when it needs it. I personally don't feel you're doing any good trying to force your plants to eat big clumps of amendments.

Why is the term "stoner science" coming to mind here...

My .02c - for whatever it's worth.

J

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Or at least the science from Stoney Girl (aka Sunny Girl Gardens) - this is a 'breeder' who claims to have a 38 day equatorial Sativa in her breeding program.

Seriously! LMAO

haha god no not stoney girl!! I saw through her b.s. rather easily. her claims are outrageous with 38 day finshers with 36% thc and huge yields.

This advice comes from the rev from skunk. He has some good info and steered me towards organics but I have only had very mediocre results with his mix and methods so far. That is why I have expanded my horizon and began digging for more info.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
This advice comes from the rev from skunk. He has some good info and steered me towards organics but I have only had very mediocre results with his mix and methods so far. That is why I have expanded my horizon and began digging for more info

Every question contains its own seed of resolution - reading the last part of your post is a really, really good example.....

CC

Scrappy4

Veteran
Going back and retreading your first post ALL NATURAL, I think your getting mediocre medicine because of the ingredients. Greensand, guano, and bonemeal most likely are not broke down enough to make much of a difference to your plants in one cycle.

These layers and spikes with better ingredients would do better. I would sub kelp meal, alfalfa meal, neem meal and crab meal, spikes, layers or whatever. Junk in junk out.....scrappy

Victor Newman

I think the answer to your original question (or part of it anyway) is dependent on container size. Layering or banding is not a bad practice as it can cut down pretty significantly on the overall nutrient:medium ratio in a container grow of 7g or>. Spiking becomes advantageous as a maintenance tool and it does work well but only if you're adding what it is the plant will respond to versus that which you think it needs.

In a container 5g or< banding doesn't make a good practice really but it's not a deal breaker if that is how you want to do your grow. Spiking works in any size container. Just make sure you get the diagnosis correct before doing the task. And FWIW, try spiking only with EWC, alfalfa, or kelp. Esp the latter if you think your plant needs K. :)

Amber Trich

i like revs spike/layer method, its easy and high yielding

the bottom layer is super helpful starting right out in a 4inch pot, a tsp-tblspoon of all purp in the bottom of the container makes an obvious difference in how long the plant can go without being transplanted again

spikes work great for flowering, definitely sustains the plant much longer than without the spikes.. this is for spiking right at transplant, ive never heard of maintenance spiking

ime the spikes are always broken down by the end of one cycle, but the bottom layer isnt always used up

it seems like the plants use what they need, some will use it all, others leave a little..

and its just add water

J

jerry111165

Useless to me in my no till pots. What are you guys doing, using your soil once? Where did this "spiking/layering" information originate?

Can someone please tell me the theory of how this is supposed to work and how it would benefit over a properly, evenly mixed soil?

Thanks in advance.

J

Amber Trich

i think the idea is to grow big plants in a relatively small containers.. whereas no till utilizes the biggest container possible

it works with new soil or recycled, obviously it is recyclable its all the same amendments

the soil is still properly evenly mixed/amended..

outdoors i see things in the soil breaking down, pieces or wood and rocks.. its not homogenous

The way it was explained was that a globally mixed soil was bad. That layers and spikes take place naturally in nature. It made sense to me. But after having done the spikes for a while Im trying some plants with out them because my yields have not been great with the spikes. I have also had a lot of burnt leaf tips. So far with my unspiked containers Im seeing no burnt leaf tips.

The only person Ive heard touting spikes is the rev. he said it was a common practice but I have searched the internet on all types of organic forums and found very little info regarding spikes except when it comes to trees. Waiting each week for an article to further explain or give me all the knowledge I need was not working for me as i have plants growing right now. So I decided to dig more and see what I could find out for myself.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
So I decided to dig more and see what I could find out for myself

Good idea - test the postulation

I have also had a lot of burnt leaf tips. So far with my unspiked containers Im seeing no burnt leaf tips

In my world testing would be over with a huge 'thumbs down'

YMMV

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
all natural

Is that from Stoney Girl or Sunny Girl Gardens in Oregon by any chance?

CC

I think it comes from that "Rev" guy from spunk the skunk magazine. He uses living soil and does these spikes and layers things....ridiculous IMO

Anything to put a spin on something and be the next..'Jorge'...who knows..seems pretty silly.

Latest posts

Latest posts