What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Relocating 2 Grass Valley

41hope

Hey guys hoping to get advice from Norcal growers. I'm gonna be going 2 school at Chico state in 2013 moving from differ state. Gonna attend junior college in Nevada city area in 2012. My thinking is to move to Grass Valley/Nevada city area and commute to Chico State. Wondering if Nevada City area is best place south of Chico. Best meaning low crime, grower friendly, reasonalbe rent, min 2 acres. Seems Butte county is not as friendly as nevada city? Also Butte is too far north 4 me to live, wanna be south of Chico close 2 tahoe & Sac.
Any suggestions appreciated.

E

el dub

I like the Auburn area. Not sure of the coppers in that area, but many swell folks there and and grass valley.

lw

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
grass valley/nevada city is like 2 hours south of chico....its about an hour to marysville then another hour to chico...so that commute would be rough. i would honestly recommend just living in chico or closeby in paradise, and just commuting to tahoe when you want to hit the moutain.

im south of chico by around 40 minutes...and about an hour north of grass valley in an area around oroville, ca...not as nice as grass valley but price is right you can rent a bare bones 2 acre property with a trailer for less than 1k a month. a true outdoor property that will have a well, electric, house, and around 10+ acres is around 2k+ a month...

i would argue butte county is safer to grow in...the locals in grass valley go back generations and know whats up with newcomers. plus i heard the local cops in grass valley are deep in the game and love robbing newcomers....to top it off grass valley is just insanely expensive....a 200k property in oroville would easily run 400k in grass valley due to its proximity to tahoe....butte county is larger and has more people coming through it so easier to blend in...

i would get things moving quickly..ive already locked down my property for outdoor 2012 but we still got a shitload of work to do....i couldnt imagine having to scramble for a growspot next spring that would be cutting things close..

Ya.....that commute would be brutal.....maybe penn valley....could be like 1.5 hrs....but I agree with yesProp...there are some super nice place in and around chico.....ya...Mike Ramsey...is brutal....but nearly every case brought to trial in MMJ results in not gulity.

I am in the same general area....30 minutes from Chico.......and there are many places all around the area to relocate.

Hash Man

Nevada county is great if you can find a place out the neighborhoods. The push is on county wide to find a way to restrict growing in neighborhoods, and no one knows what is going to happen yet plant number wise or what boundries they will try to set. Grass Valley is not as liberal as you would think... Just try to be out in the sticks wherever you go, and no one will complain. There are some great spots to rent in Nevada County, but it can be hard to rent them, because they dont come up that often.

41hope

I'm gonna be primarily doing indoor but I want to have 12 or less outside. Is it better to be in Chico or Grass Valley 4 indoor?

41hope

What do the cops & "Old School" growers do to new growers in Grass Valley? Whats the difference from the "New Guys" & "old guys"?

Damn dude you gave him great advice. i live just outside of Chico and have friends in neveda city...north san juan and everything you said is exactly right!!!! To the OP, you would defiantly not want to commute from neveda City to Chico state.

grass valley/nevada city is like 2 hours south of chico....its about an hour to marysville then another hour to chico...so that commute would be rough. i would honestly recommend just living in chico or closeby in paradise, and just commuting to tahoe when you want to hit the moutain.

im south of chico by around 40 minutes...and about an hour north of grass valley in an area around oroville, ca...not as nice as grass valley but price is right you can rent a bare bones 2 acre property with a trailer for less than 1k a month. a true outdoor property that will have a well, electric, house, and around 10+ acres is around 2k+ a month...

i would argue butte county is safer to grow in...the locals in grass valley go back generations and know whats up with newcomers. plus i heard the local cops in grass valley are deep in the game and love robbing newcomers....to top it off grass valley is just insanely expensive....a 200k property in oroville would easily run 400k in grass valley due to its proximity to tahoe....butte county is larger and has more people coming through it so easier to blend in...

i would get things moving quickly..ive already locked down my property for outdoor 2012 but we still got a shitload of work to do....i couldnt imagine having to scramble for a growspot next spring that would be cutting things close..

41hope

Guys I never had plans to commute? Just looking for best place to set up shop. I'm gonna have an additional rental on campus. I'll spend 1/2 time at school rental & have time at main location.

41hope

yesprop I truly appreciate your advice really helpfull! I'm not dead set on Chico state, I'm open to other colleges. But want best location for Indoor/outdoor grow.If the commute is over 1hr I will probably get a rental on campus. ie.. Cal Poly I would fly in for 3 days and fly back to Grass Valley. I thought it might be a quick 80 miles sounds like a long 80 miles. I'm not the best at communicating my thoughts plus there are diff factors regarding my relo. 1st priority is safe place to grow 2nd is proximity to college. 3rd is fishing

BongRipkenJR.

I was growing in butte county for years. Grow indoor all you want. Nobody cares. I was born in Chico and that town is pretty wack. Go up Hwy 70 by Jarbo Gap and get the good sun and cheap electricity.

PorkSword

Im just up the hill from Chico..and have done the commute to GV for work. yeah fuck that shit. I commute to Chico to work now from my ridgetop spot and its like a 20 min. drive.

Butte is pretty laid back to grow in, although I believe Chico just shut down outdoors in city limits. I do indoor and outdoor with few worries.

Look at Butte College if you can, they work with CSU closely and most likely offer many same classes as whats in GV. I just graduated from Butte last semester, its pretty laid back and reasonably weed friendly.

Lake Oroville, Sacramento river, and dozens of smaller waters provide all the fishing you could ever ask for.

E

edisonzmedicine

I hear there's some dead rivers in the Tahoe area, in certain places they cross modern rivers and streams. They seem to be located in the state forests from north of the lake and to the south. It would be cool to see someone hit a home run; find some pockets of alluvial treasure, and have the freedom to grow your own meds too!
:jump:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
butte county sounds like your spot...tons of good fishing everywhere, pros hit oroville for the bass. its only 30 minutes from chico and you can grow indoor and outdoor real easily...12 plants outdoors is super easy, we did 18 last year in a pretty populated residential area, just make sure your property is fenced nicely.

indoor just make sure your electrical is upgraded, alot of the properties out in paradise and magalia are older and not set up for running multiple lights, shit we tripped the breaker in my boys mobile home only running a 600 watt lamp..

my friend found a really nice deal in magalia once...pretty fat 3 bedroom house for like 1500 a month, had a huge guestroom easily fit like 10 lights in there, also had a backyard where they grew before had about 50 smaller 45 gal smartpots out there....only problem is the landlord found out what was up and evicted everybody...

now we got a two story house with 2 units, one on each floor, each unit has 1bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen living area, downstairs has a big basement can fit like 8 lights in there....plus we got 20 acres outside to grow on....1500 a month because we pay a note, for rental it would probably be around 2k a month...

so yeah, cities you wanna look in - paradise, magalia, forest ranch, concow, oroville.....

Honestly the best fishing is on the Delta! Im a big time fishermen. Go fishing all the time. Fishing and smoking the herbals is the most relaxing thing to do. UC Davis is near the Delta. Dude you should find a spot in one of the Delta communities. Way low key out there.

Latest posts

Latest posts