What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor No Till Deep Soil Bed

I wanted to show you guys my soil bed I just set up in my tent. It's a 150 gallon smart pot holding my homemade soil mix. The container measures 45" x 22".
I am doing this no till style and will be adding homemade compost, worm castings and plant inputs such as yarrow, comfrey, dandelion and eventually nettle in the forms of mulch and FPE.
I have a bark mulch for now and am really liking how well it insulates the soil.

Some of you may have seen this already but I think there's a few here who might be interested.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 004 (3).jpg
    004 (3).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 008 (4).jpg
    008 (4).jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 15

Scrappy4

Veteran
I bet your not moving that tent for a while, eh?

I thought of making a wooden box for my flower box before but I like your method better.

It will be interesting t see if some cuts dominate over others....scrappy

Nice job. I'd like to try this sometime combined with crimson clover (not to be confused with red clover but that's good too). Crimson clover (& it's bacteria) is supposed to fix copious amounts of N to the soil. It is also a beautiful plant.
http://informedfarmers.com/crimson-clover/
Thanks for stopping by Microbeman!
Crimson clover sounds like a great living mulch plant.

woah! very cool
Thanks budman
Interesting idea. What strain is that? it looks like OG kush.
You guessed it. OG Kush (Fire cut) yada yada whatever.
I bet your not moving that tent for a while, eh?

I thought of making a wooden box for my flower box before but I like your method better.

It will be interesting t see if some cuts dominate over others....scrappy
Yeah it's a beast. It only took me about 30 min to fill it. 30 gallon trash cans of soil on a handtruck and a short handled square point.

it also does very well with cannabis in pots. It will flower during veg and veg during flower.
Sounds interesting.
Still not sure about the companion plants atm. I think I would rather fill her up with cannabis.
The bark mulch is amazing however. I've only put 10 gallons of water so far and its staying very moist.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 19
listen to mad, hes not mad he knows what hes talking about.
I'm sure he does jaykush, as do you. Thanks for stopping by.
I'll keep an open mind. I can get white clover seed from my local nursery and have seen micro clover as well.

For those slighty curious about my girl. Here are some shots from my last run.

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 133.jpg
    133.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 18

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice work.

I have one of these puppies on the go too.

Putting in german chamomile and a beneficial insect blend containing over 10 re-seeding annual and perennial flowers, herbs and grasses. Includes red clover, caraway, dill, coriander, alfalfa, marigolds and stuff.

Idea being to use as a living mulch and also to cut and drop if they getting too tall.

Should be a winner i reckon. :rasta:

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I'll be watchin' this one.
Running the same pots no-till for a 3rd time in a row now. No issues so far....in fact it's awesome.
Peace
CC1

Soil mix.

Base mix is peat moss, coco coir, compost, ewc and pumice/perlite.

Amendments are neem seed meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, alfalfa meal, soybean meal, soft rock phosphate, kelp meal, crab meal, k mag, oyster shell powder, gypsum, dolomite lime, and a hefty dose of glacial rock dust.

My compost component is made up of homemade compost, malibu bu's blend and marwest.

Insanely amazing! This is going to be something to watch.

Nice work.

I have one of these puppies on the go too.

Putting in german chamomile and a beneficial insect blend containing over 10 re-seeding annual and perennial flowers, herbs and grasses. Includes red clover, caraway, dill, coriander, alfalfa, marigolds and stuff.

Idea being to use as a living mulch and also to cut and drop if they getting too tall.

Should be a winner i reckon. :rasta:

I'll be watchin' this one.
Running the same pots no-till for a 3rd time in a row now. No issues so far....in fact it's awesome.
Peace
CC1

Hey guys thanks for stopping by. I'd love to see some pics of your soil beds.
I'm curious if the tropf blumats would be a good fit for this set up. The depth of the bed is really my only concern.

I'm using tall 7 gallon pails with the Max BluMat system. So far, so good
Thanks rrog, do the Max BluMat's tie together like the patio set?

Ok so here's some pics from last night. Two weeks since transplant into the soil bed. They got 24 hrs dark then 12/12.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 18
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 17

rrog

Veteran
I believe they are strung together the same, yes. I'm just using the bigger max "carrots" and distribution drippers. Also running well water, so I have the BluMat pressure reducer

Day 28 flower.
I'm curious to hear some thoughts on how to manage this bed over the long term.
One unknown is how quickly the old root systems will breakdown and if there are any potential issues with running this type of no till bed as a perpetual flower room with no real breaks in between rounds.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 19
I

Iron_Lion

Seriously great grow :good:

The only down fall with bed growing is that science shows it works best when all of the plants in the grow space are of the same genetics.

Here is an excerpt from a thread I made a while back that explains how plants recognize their own kin and have improved growth when their neighbors are related to them.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=210399

Plants Can Recognize and Prefer Their Kin

HAMILTON, ONTARIO, CANADA–The apparently passive garden plant is not as easy-going as people assume, at least not with strangers. Researchers at McMaster University have found that plants become competitive when forced to share a pot with strangers of the same species, but they are more friendly when potted with their siblings.

“The ability to recognize and favor kin is common in animals, but this is the first time it has been shown in plants,” said Dr. Susan Dudley, associate professor of biology at McMaster University in Hamilton.”When plants share their pots, they get competitive and start growing more roots, which allows them to grab water and mineral nutrients before their neighbors get them,” Dudley explains.

Biologist Susan Dudley is the first to discover that plants recognize their kin. “It appears, though, that they only do this when sharing a pot with unrelated plants; when they share a pot with family they don’t increase their root growth,” the biologist says.