What's new

Indoor No Till Deep Soil Bed

rrog

Veteran
Heady, regarding your comment about rotating species, this wouldn't create a problem for us, would it? Given that we only grow the one species?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
well lots of us grow veggies and stuff too.

MGD has a cover crop going in her 5gals between cannabis plantings.

even different strains of cannabis will interact differently with the soil.

not that you can't grow the same crop in the same place every cycle, just that your soil might enjoy a little switch up every once in a while.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Yes indeed,we feed the soil..the soil (which includes it's inhabitants and all of it's components)feeds the plants. We are stewards of the soil more than the plant. The plant takes care of itself if you've assembled the components correctly.....all you really have to do is supply a bit of water,light and tie up the heavy flowers.

I agree on the hypothesis that plant life should be there at all times in the no-till system.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
I think it reflects well on this forum that we've filled the first three pages of OT's thread by geekin out over the soil before it occurred to any of us to ask the following question:

what kind of light are you running in there? :D

S

SeaMaiden

I think it reflects well on this forum that we've filled the first three pages of OT's thread by geekin out over the soil before it occurred to any of us to ask the following question:

Just like fish people geeking out.

Yeah that's why I came here. To geek out over soil.
The light is a 1k Hortilux HPS with an adjust a wing hood.

Nice! Is that a/c mount in a hole on the tent? How are you supporting the a/c unit on the other side?
Thanks! See pics.

Also pics of the girls, day 35

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 009 (13).jpg
    009 (13).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 19

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Looking nice OT. How long do they run? They look happy with your current set up. :D

Thanks guys! I've been taking her 70 days.
I'm seeing a little leaf edge curl on the top colas. The light is slammed all the way up now.
Not sure if it's heat related or something else. The tops were getting within 12" of the bulb so I'm pretty sure that's too close. May need to do some additional topping/training next time.
Thanks for looking!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah that's why I like the vertical garden & vertically hung lights. No worries about lights too close, no hoods

H

h^2 O

very nice man! Hey with the soil bed...can you just use it again or do you have to replace the soil? 150 gallons of soil should give you some monstrous friggin plants, seems like its working

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Wow this is awesome!

This is exactly what I want to do but using vertical bare bulbs and 6- 25 gallon individual beds.

What is the ground cover you have growing with your tree bark mulch?

I saw someone mention Crimson clover at the beginning of your thread. I read up about it and it says it can reach 24 inches tall? Does that mean you have to let it grow 24 inches before you can cut it?

What is the photo period for clover? Does it veg and flower like MMJ under same photo periods...18/6, 12/12 ?

mad librettist

Veteran
Thanks guys! I've been taking her 70 days.
I'm seeing a little leaf edge curl on the top colas. The light is slammed all the way up now.
Not sure if it's heat related or something else. The tops were getting within 12" of the bulb so I'm pretty sure that's too close. May need to do some additional topping/training next time.
Thanks for looking!

on amazon right now you can get an infrared termometer for 20 bucks. just point at a leaf surface, and you know the exact temp.

Yeah that's why I like the vertical garden & vertically hung lights. No worries about lights too close, no hoods
I would love to have a room with several of these beds and vertical lighting. That would kick some serious ass!

very nice man! Hey with the soil bed...can you just use it again or do you have to replace the soil? 150 gallons of soil should give you some monstrous friggin plants, seems like its working
Thanks! The idea is to continue using the soil and letting it become alive with as much soil biology as possible. With the no till method you leave the plants roots intact and just keep planting and harvesting.
I'm going for a robust soil digestive system, if you will.

Wow this is awesome!

This is exactly what I want to do but using vertical bare bulbs and 6- 25 gallon individual beds.

What is the ground cover you have growing with your tree bark mulch?

I saw someone mention Crimson clover at the beginning of your thread. I read up about it and it says it can reach 24 inches tall? Does that mean you have to let it grow 24 inches before you can cut it?

What is the photo period for clover? Does it veg and flower like MMJ under same photo periods...18/6, 12/12 ?

Go for it!
Not sure about the Crimson clover but I have some seeds of it and also some white clover which is trying to grow in the shade now.
on amazon right now you can get an infrared termometer for 20 bucks. just point at a leaf surface, and you know the exact temp.
Thanks Mad, I wonder what the acceptable/ideal leaf temp range would be?

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
i would absolutely love to see more of how you set the ac in the tent without having light leaks. that is such a good idea. i love everything about it!!!

My tent has windows on each side. I used one of the windows for the a/c. Bascially I just pushed the stand with the plywood up against the outside of the tent. I made sure the plywood was long enough to catch above and below the window.
Then from the inside I used another piece of plywood cut exactly like the one on the stand to sandwich everything together. Then I put a piece of rigid insulation the same size as the plywood pieces to cover the interior plywood.
Hope that make sense.
I dropped 12/3 mc cable with two dedicated circuits that I converted from my 30amp dryer circuit. The light is on one 20amp breaker and the a/c is on another 20 amp.

mad librettist

Veteran
not sure what leaf temps should be, but if you point it at a leaf and it is a lot higher than you guessed, you have a problem.

G

growingcrazy

Does anybody else treat there soil beds like a compost and vermicompost bin all at the same time? I just throw most of my compostables into the bed and the worms take care of it pretty quickly. I figured why have different bins all over.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Does anybody else treat there soil beds like a compost and vermicompost bin all at the same time?
Somewhat,only I don't add kitchen scraps. Indoor right?..The only thing that gets put on the surface as far as uncomposted material goes is any and all cannabis trimmings,and of course the commonly accepted dried/liquid organic amendments used in topdressing.

However I have done what you are describing outdoors with decent results.