What's new

SEVERE IPHONE/TAPATALK SECURITY WARNING

REZDOG

Veteran
Hi,All.
I just read this in another forum and thought it should be re-posted here.

When you add the new app "tapatalk" to this information,it's downright fucking SCARY!!
Personally,I've long thought "smartphones" were headed in this direction,(LEO forensic recovery of data,etc.) and when the idea really sunk in,I got rid of my Vodaphone Crackberry over a year ago-and smashed it before disposal,it being "smart" and all.
I didn't see scum-baggery of this magnitude coming,and I'm amazed that it's "hippie" Apple that's responsible,not Microsoft.

Check this out,or,perhaps,
"Read it and weep"
Then throw your iphone in the garbage.
In the EU we can roll "unlocked" smart phones,as Ghey(A)-T&T doesn't have a monopoly on iphones (every Paki-Mart jailbreaks and unlocks crackberries and iphones these days!) the way I hear they do in the states-But still,being caught with one full of (allegedly) incriminating data in your possession,even if it's not "provably" yours,beyond the posession of it,could still fuck you right in the ass. (I saw the new iphone geo-tags pics. Great for outdoor growers,great for the LEO that gets your info if the seize or even find your phone....)
Shit,even turned in to the PD by a good citizen,it's not security-coded,the cop snoops=You're Fucked-just for misplacing your phone at a bar.

BAD BAD BAD: The "Tapatalk" app being discussed in the "What's New" Forum (because it was added by Skip at ICM recently) ALLOWS the iphone to gathers screen-shots!!!) of EVERY(!!!!) page you close out of,and partition it where you can't get at it,or erase it.

THAT IS AN EPIC FAIL,BEWARE GANG!!!!

Here's the article,again: Read it and weep,then go smash your iphone.

BY AMBER HUNT MICHIGAN FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER said:
Got an iPhone in your pocket? Then you might be storing even more personal information than you realize.
And some of it could be used against you if you're ever charged with a crime.
There's a burgeoning field of forensic study that deals with iPhones specifically because of their popularity, the demographics of those who own them and what the phone's technology records during its use. Law-enforcement experts said iPhone technology records a wealth of information that can be tapped more easily than BlackBerry and Android devices to help police learn where you've been, what you were doing there and whether you've got something to hide.
"Very, very few people have any idea how to actually remove data from their phone," said Sam Brothers, a cell phone forensic researcher with U.S. Customs and Border Protection who teaches law-enforcement agents how to retrieve information from iPhones in criminal cases.
"It may look like everything's gone," he said, "but for anybody who's got a clue, retrieving that information is easy."
Clues lurk in deleted bins and screenshots

Two years ago, as iPhone sales skyrocketed, former hacker Jonathan Zdziarski decided law-enforcement agencies might need help retrieving data from the devices.
So he set out to write a 15-page, how-to manual that turned into a 144-page book ("iPhone Forensics," O'Reilly Media). That, in turn, led to Zdziarski being tapped by law-enforcement agencies nationwide to teach them just how much information is stored in iPhones -- and how that data can be gathered for evidence in criminal cases.
"These devices are people's companions today," said Zdziarski, 34, who lives in Maine. "They're not mobile phones anymore. They organize people's lives, and if you're doing something criminal, something about it is probably going to go through that phone."
It's an area of forensic science that's just beginning to explode, law-enforcement and cell phone experts said. Zdziarski said the focus of forensics recovery has been on the iPhone over other smartphones in large part because of its popularity.
An estimated 1.7 million people rushed to buy the latest iPhone version released last month. Before that, Apple had sold more than 50 million iPhones, according to company figures.
Although some high-stakes criminal cases have used cell phone towers to estimate a suspect or victim's whereabouts, few have laid out the information that iPhones have to offer. For example:
• Every time an iPhone user closes out of the built-in mapping application, the phone snaps a screenshot and stores it. Savvy law-enforcement agents armed with search warrants could use those snapshots to see if a suspect is lying about whereabouts during a crime.
• iPhone photos are embedded with GEO tags and identifying information, meaning that photos posted online might not only include GPS coordinates of where the picture was taken, but also the serial number of the phone that took it.
• Even more information is stored by the applications themselves, including the user's browser history. That data is meant in part to direct custom-tailored advertisements to the user, but experts said that some of it could prove useful to police.
Clearing out user histories isn't enough to clean the device of that data, said John B. Minor, a communications expert and member of the International Society of Forensic Computer Examiners who has written articles for law enforcement about iPhone evidence.
"With the iPhone, even if it's in the deleted bin, it may still be in the database," Minor said. "Much is contained deep within the phone."
What users don't know

Some of that usable data is in screenshots.
Just as users can take and store a picture of their iPhone's screen, the phone itself automatically shoots and stores hundreds of such images as people close out one application to use another.
"Those screen snapshots can contain images of e-mails or proof of activities that might be inculpatory, or exculpatory," Minor said.
Most iPhone users agree to let the device locate them so they can use fully the phone's mapping functions, as well as various global positioning system (GPS) applications.
The free application Urbanspoon is primarily designed to help users locate nearby restaurants. Yet the data stored there might not only help police pinpoint where a victim was shortly before dying, but it also might lead to the restaurant that served the victim's last meal.
"Most people enable the location services because they want the benefits of the applications," Minor said. "What they don't know is that it's recording your GPS coordinates."
A tremendous source

Bill Cataldo, an assistant Macomb County prosecutor who heads the office's homicide unit, said iPhones are treated more like small computers than mobile phones.
"People are keeping a tremendous amount of information on there," he said.
Cataldo said he has found phone call histories and text messages most useful in homicide cases. But Zdziarski, who has helped federal and state law-enforcement agencies gather evidence, said those elements are just scratching the surface when it comes to the information police and prosecutors soon will start pulling from iPhones.
"There are some terrorists out there who obtained some information about a network from an iPhone," he said.
Sam Brothers, who works for U.S. Customs and Border Protection and helps train law-enforcement agencies about cell phone forensics, said he also has testified in state and federal cases about data he has retrieved from iPhones.
Although he can't comment about specific cases, he provided a hypothetical:
"Let's say you have a gang and somebody's killed a gang member on the street," he said. "The killer takes a picture on his iPhone ... We as law enforcement may retrieve that image and might have proof not only of the death, but the time of death."
Even people who don't take pictures or leave GPS coordinates behind often unwittingly leave other trails, Zdziarski said.
"Like the keyboard cache," he said. "The iPhone logs everything that you type in to learn autocorrect" so that it can correct a user's typing mistakes.
Apple doesn't store that cache very securely, Zdziarski contended, so someone with know-how could recover months of typing in the order that it was typed, even if the e-mail or text it was part of has long since been deleted.
Apple did not return phone calls or an e-mail seeking comment for this story.
Concerns about privacy

Adam Gershowitz, who teaches criminal procedure at the University of Houston Law Center, said that the new technology brings with it concerns about privacy -- especially when it comes to whether investigators have the right to search someone's iPhone after an arrest.
So far, the courts have treated mobile phones like a within-reach container that police can search the same way they can check items in a glove box or cigarette pack, Gershowitz said, though the Ohio Supreme Court in 2009 ruled to bar warrantless searches of cell phone data. That case is being appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
"Phones are regular tools of the drug trade," Gershowitz said. As police become more familiar with iPhones, he said, they become more adept at flipping through photos, map searches and text messages as they look for evidence.
Zdziarski said some examiners are "afraid to touch" iPhones because of privacy concerns.
"I personally will never work on civil cases," he said, adding that when he advises law-enforcement agencies about obtaining search warrants for iPhones, he instructs them to add iPhone-specific language to the warrant.
But, he said, as iPhones appear to keep selling in record numbers, law enforcement appears poised to keep up.
"It's no longer about a list of phone numbers and maybe a couple of pictures," Zdziarski said. "You're talking about data that can travel back a year or longer. That's useful to law enforcement."

dybert

Hi,All.
I just read this in another forum and thought it should be re-posted here.

When you add the new app "tapatalk" to this information,it's downright fucking SCARY!!
Personally,I've long thought "smartphones" were headed in this direction,(LEO forensic recovery of data,etc.) and when the idea really sunk in,I got rid of my Vodaphone Crackberry over a year ago-and smashed it before disposal,it being "smart" and all.
I didn't see scum-baggery of this magnitude coming,and I'm amazed that it's "hippie" Apple that's responsible,not Microsoft.

Check this out,or,perhaps,
"Read it and weep"
Then throw your iphone in the garbage.
In the EU we can roll "unlocked" smart phones,as Ghey(A)-T&T doesn't have a monopoly on iphones (every Paki-Mart jailbreaks and unlocks crackberries and iphones these days!) the way I hear they do in the states-But still,being caught with one full of (allegedly) incriminating data in your possession,even if it's not "provably" yours,beyond the posession of it,could still fuck you right in the ass. (I saw the new iphone geo-tags pics. Great for outdoor growers,great for the LEO that gets your info if the seize or even find your phone....)
Shit,even turned in to the PD by a good citizen,it's not security-coded,the cop snoops=You're Fucked-just for misplacing your phone at a bar.

BAD BAD BAD: The "Tapatalk" app being discussed in the "What's New" Forum (because it was added by Skip at ICM recently) ALLOWS the iphone to gathers screen-shots!!!) of EVERY(!!!!) page you close out of,and partition it where you can't get at it,or erase it.

THAT IS AN EPIC FAIL,BEWARE GANG!!!!

Here's the article,again: Read it and weep,then go smash your iphone.

This is definitely something to be aware of, but also not worth freaking out over. In fact, the new Iphone OS includes support for NOT geotagging pics, which the old one did not. The old one would always geotag (or ask you every fucking time til you said yes, then never again). The new one at least allows you to turn off geotagging for the camera app!

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rotary-phone.jpg

Never fails

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah,to have put 90% of the people in prison,there,for using it like idiots.
A "land" line?
I gave those up well over 15 years ago.
Yeah I just meant the "dumber" the phone the better :)

love?

Apple responds to lawmakers' questions about location data collection
July 19, 2010 | 12:24 pm

Location Apple Inc. answered congressional questions about the ways it collects users' precise location information from its mobile devices and computers, highlighting users' ability to opt out of data collection, but acknowledging that it collects and stores "batched" user location data that is not directly associated with a particular identity or device.

Apple's answers came in a document (embedded below) released Monday by Reps. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) and Joe L. Barton (R-Texas), who sent the electronics maker a list of questions last month after The Times published a report pointing to the company's practice of collecting, storing and sharing the "precise," "real-time geographic location" of users' mobile devices.

Apple noted that user location information cannot be collected unless a user has the device's location-services turned on, and has allowed individual applications such as Google Maps or Yelp to use location data. For many users, these settings are set the first time they use a device and application, but not seen frequently afterward.

Once a user has accepted those terms, the company can collect and store the data. It does so, it says, by collecting "batched" sets of location data from user devices once every 12 hours. Devices with GPS chips -- like all recent-model iPhones -- know their position based on satellite signals, and others can triangulate their location using data about nearby cellular towers and Wi-Fi access points.

Markey and Barton thanked Apple for sharing basic information about their use of location data, but noted that industry practices in this area have been less than transparent.

"The new challenges and concerns that present themselves with the collection and use of location-based information are particularly disconcerting," Barton said in a statement. "While I applaud Apple for responding to our questions, I remain concerned about privacy policies that run on for pages and pages."

When the latest version of the iPhone operating system was released in late June, users found that the list of terms and conditions that contained the updated privacy policy for iPhone and App Store users ran on for more than 40 pages. Apple's privacy policy can be found here.

In its answers to the congressmen, Apple noted that location data was gathered when consumers use iPhone applications that required a location. The company does not store precise data for its advertising service, iAd -- rather, it converts the device's precise location into a Zip Code, it said.

[Updated at 12:40 p.m.: In response to questions about the way Apple anonymizes location data, company spokesman Steve Dowling referred The Times back to Apple's written response to the congressmen.]
-- David Sarno

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...-privacy-location-markey-congress-iphone.html

So if you wanna use the positioning thing at all you have to agree to send your location data to Apple every 12 hours and let them store it. What's even more fucked up is how no one seems to care.

REZDOG

Veteran
It's about the hidden,partitioned-off,constant screenshots,imo,that are the Hidden Killers in "smart" phones,& NOT the geo-tagging-only a dumbass would use that....

It's about the hidden,partitioned-off,constant screenshots,imo,that are the Hidden Killers in "smart" phones,& NOT the geo-tagging-only a dumbass would use that....

Any word of how to delete the screenshots or the deleted bins? I find it crazy that I can delete a voicemail and still retrieve it. It is very scary.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
mmmm things in aus are getting pretty freaky too i have friends involved in a lot of not so decent activities who tell me apparently they've been saving text msgs for years now, providers keep them for 6months or more after you've sent them and if key words red flag them "ounce, grams, weed, cannabis, murder, rape, terrorism, etc" police can be notified and read ALL of your texts from the last few months. these people will no longer even talk over the phone about things as apparently voice calls are now recorded and able to be called up and listened to by police with a warrant (i presume they need one) to do so. i don't know how much of this is true or not, i know the text msg thing is fairly accurate as my friend's dad works for telstra (provider in aus) and says it's legit. phone calls i dunno... either way, anyone i know involved in this stuff speaks in their own code now and rarely wants to talk over the phone or via text because of the crack downs they've had here. so just be very careful of what you say and do with respect to computers and phones as technology is as useful as it is a pain in the arse these days. always remove as much lingering evidence as you can from phones and computers. better safe than sorry people! :D

REZDOG

Veteran
The answer is:
For every action,there is an equal,and opposite,reaction."
Imo....
There will be "cleaning" software for smart phones as soon as the market calls for it.
With that article,and others like it,fear will be (has been,read it in some of y'all's posts here!) created. Then,because of Legitimate Privacy Concerns,I'd say the market will call for it real damn soon,and it'll be commercially available.
Can YOU get in to your "smart" phone and delete these things?
Absolutely NOT.
NofuckingWAY.
Right now,there is no way that an "average" consumer can get into the factory-partitioned,OS-section drive of a "smart" phone. Only a hacker that's familiar with the nuts and bolts of a phone's OS can access that data without bricking (ruining) the "smart" phone.

~RD~

SmilinBob

Just a matter of time before they start implanting tracking devices in our children. Then upload us with apps that tell the police our plans before we even do it..

Run to the woods! Don't forget your foil hats!

Damn this society we live in.

Call me crazy, but I don't use phones. Land line or cell phones, especially non of this new crap on the market. If I wasn't so easily bored I wouldn't pay for internet either.

Put me in a hole with a chess board and a bag of bud, and forget about me!

biteme

this is nothing new. this is one of the main reasons federal police agencies in the usa (fbi, atf, dea, etc.) prohibit their agents from using these devices. while working, they employ cell phones with disposable numbers turned over every three months. and since you have already spent good money on the latest berry, before you buy any "cleaning device" coming to the market make sure it is not embedding elsewhere what it is erasing from your unit. and if you are unable to tell, it is time to simplify the technology you use to a point where you feel safe. peace-biteme

slackx

Veteran
To those who are gifted with technology...this isn't an issue. Just keep using custom firmwares and encryption. Isn't much of a big deal...you dont think all of our operating systems dont have crazy back doors? SCVhost is one of the most questioned files on microsoft...and you apple users...sheesh your company openly admits they data mine and go threw peoples phone with "kill app." But like everything that holds an electrical current...it ain't nothing but a chicken wing.

qbert

... if key words red flag them "ounce, grams, weed, cannabis, murder, rape, terrorism, etc" police can be notified and read ALL of your texts from the last few months ...

Everytime I see something like this said, I think to myself, "Right. Cause cops really have the resources/time to pay any attention whatsoever to Joe Blo who says "weed" on the phone. That's probably only a million people - or maybe 100x that - every single freakin day."

My take, if they're watching you closely enough to have read your text messages or listened to your phone calls, you're already caught. I really doubt it's the impetus of a bust, ever.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
things like this are why I dont use the phone for anything like that, and I dont take or post any pictures of my shit.

Latest posts

Latest posts